Author Topic: New Detroit Speed goodies for the Y88-R  (Read 295 times)

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
New Detroit Speed goodies for the Y88-R
« on: February 12, 2018, 07:57:11 AM »
We have partnered with Detroit Speed and Engineering this year and will be running their Speed Kit II with JRi double adjustable shocks.  This kit includes coil over conversion, 700# springs, upper and lower Control arms and sway bar.  Difficult to tell from the pictures but, these are some very nice pieces, I can't really call them parts because they are so nice.  The control arms are very solid and come with Delrin bushings installed. The Upper control arms come with provisions for 1 of two different options to increase the caster and have the delrin bushings installed already.  It took all of 15 min to get the the arms installed.  I'm really excited to drive the car with the new front suspension as this system will provide for more of my tire to contact the road while at high steering angles.

It's also been great to work with Kyle Tucker of DSE and his team, they are as excited to see us run this year as my son and I are.  They have a great team of knowledgeable folks who can tell me what alignment setting to run with off the top of their head, not to mention that it's great to get Autocross settings directly from Kyle.

We have a lot of the work done to the car and are shooting to make the March 9-12 Lonestar Good Guys event but, we still have a lot to do....

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:03:23 AM by skisix38off »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: New Goodies for the Y88-R
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:12:44 AM »
Those are some really nice looking "parts". Let us know how they do.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

FULZGOLD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »
Oh yes. Yes. I definitely hate you... lol

1978 Y88 Trans Am
4-Speed
47k Mile Survivor

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »

Oh... Don't be a hater.  Come out for a ride sometime!

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
Re: New Detroit Speed goodies for the Y88-R
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
Awesome!  Best of luck in competition.
The surgeon general never said nuthin' 'bout smokin' the competition!

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »
Looking fancy sir.  Hopefully I can mine together soon and run with you guys in Indiana.
1979 Trans Am 400 T-top - Platinum Silver, Carmine Interior
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61460.0

FULZGOLD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 07:56:31 PM »

Oh... Don't be a hater.  Come out for a ride sometime!

If I don’t, I’ll definitely be following your adventures this year! ????
1978 Y88 Trans Am
4-Speed
47k Mile Survivor

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:14:10 AM »
Yeah, Y88-R!  I like that theme.  My son and I mostly just race the car, I will drive it to work every now and again just because it's a cool car and the double adjustable shocks can be softened enough to make it not jounce me around too much on the road.  If anyone is part of social media you can follow us on "y88_r.racing" on Instagram.  My son is making a youtube channel for the adventures we have as well and that will include some 'how to's' that he is calling "Y did we do that". 

The first will be of the DSE Front Speed Kit II stuff, the kit was so easy to install that it won't be much of a how to. 

We are both very excited to get the car on the road to feel the difference.  The 2 huge changes this season are the T56 transmission, from the TH350, and the DSE Front Speed Kit II. 

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 10:01:26 AM »
I have the same DSE upper/lower control arms with their 650# springs, Koni's and their front sway bar.  I haven't been able to out power this suspension on the street it's just awesome, maybe autoX it someday, you will not be disappointed with that combo. Please post alignment specs when you get that done.

TA462

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 06:48:34 AM »
Very nice parts.  So what are you doing with your old parts??? :P  I'll be following on Instagram and watching out for your Youtube channel. 
1978 Solar Gold T-top Trans Am

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 07:44:56 AM »
Very nice parts.  So what are you doing with your old parts??? :P  I'll be following on Instagram and watching out for your Youtube channel.

Thank you- they are really nice and I can't wait to get a feel for them.

The old parts are going up for sale!  The lowers have the Global West Delrin bushings in them and new Pro-forged ball joints.  The uppers have new Tall ball joints and I have the 1.25" sway bar.

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:38:00 AM »
Getting further along toward getting the Y88-R back on the road.  Got the engine, T56 and headers all set in place.  Finished the custom fabbed crossmember and got the started and headers all back in!  Can I just say that I hate F-bodies and headers! 

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: Today at 10:55:56 AM »
Just real quick question.  Are you sure you want your ignition coil right where the hood closes?  It looks like the spark wire is going to be pressing against the hood. 
1979 Trans Am 400 T-top - Platinum Silver, Carmine Interior
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61460.0

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: Today at 11:07:56 AM »
Just real quick question.  Are you sure you want your ignition coil right where the hood closes?  It looks like the spark wire is going to be pressing against the hood.

I know it looks like that but, I can assure that there isn't a problem.  I have been running that way for 3 years now and I continue to check for wear or chaffing, and there is none.

« Reply #13 on: Today at 11:07:56 AM »
You can help support TAC!