Author Topic: Lets build a AR  (Read 754 times)

flybird

• Active Forum Member
Lets build a AR
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:11:41 PM »
Hello,
So I am going to come right out and say this.
I am clueless on this topic, but I would like to learn.
People tell me you can build a better AR better and cheaper than a manufactured one.
Well here go.
I know about the 80% lowers.
Sorry I am not going to touch one because I dont know the laws when it comes to building one.

So I have a serialized AR lower.
Now where do I go from here?
other than a gun show.
Where do you buy the upper, barrel, stock, trigger, the grip, muzzle break, and hand guard.
What are good brands to look at?
What brands are junk?

Any of you guys built your own AR?
Please share details about the build.
the do s and don't s

Hutchman

• Active Forum Member
Re: Lets build a AR
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »
Mt advice would be to build a simple one first.

Since you have a lower, get online and look for complete lower parts kits.  The contain all the parts you need to complete the lower except the butt stock.  Decide on which style and quality you want and order that also.

While waiting for your parts, spend time studying the assembly of the lower....I spent time watching youtube videos.

As far as the upper goes,if it was me, I would order a complete upper including a bolt carrier group from the same source.  You can buy all the parts individually and build the upper, but it is more involved than the lower is.

I have built several, but I have yet to build an upper.  For me, nore more than they cost, an assembled upper makes more sense.  However, that is something you will have to decide for your self.  I am attending an AR armorers course and may build an upper after that.

TammyTA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 10:14:12 PM »
Have built several and take this with a grain of salt. If you just want an AR, check your local shops for one you like & can afford.  If you want something different or just the way you want it go for it. Just like at tac, there are boards with really sharp folks that know their stuff. Lay out a plan before you ever start, just building a motor. You WILL need some special tools.

It's a great feeling to build something custom (just for you) & show it off to your friends.

misery

• Active Forum Member
      • enolive
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 11:37:47 PM »
I have one I built - it is an Anderson Manufacturing lower receiver.  I bought a complete kit - all the other components are DPMS - I wanted to build one. Didn't know much - the kit and lower was just under $500.  It works. I watched several videos and bought the special tools needed to assemble.  I have upgraded many things since the initial assemble. The main reason for this was to learn - and be able to know how to fix it.
It depends on your plans - if you want one and will shoot it from time at the range - buy a built one that you can afford.  IF you want a customized gun and want to learn about the platform build one.
Money may not buy happiness, but it sure makes misery much easier to live with...

Jeff Rager

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Chattanooga, Tn, 2000 WS6 Formula
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »
Getting the same manufacturers of the upper and lowers is a plus, they are machined to fit. getting uppers and lowers from different manufactures leaves yourself open to mis fits and play or just plain not fitting at all. As with anything, research is the key...research, research, research.......
And if you just want a simple AR, they are cheap now a days, go to a gun store and ask if they have any used ones. Stay away from pawn shops if you don't know what your looking for, you'll get screwed in a hurry.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:39:04 PM by Jeff Rager »

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »

flybird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 03:16:12 PM »
What are some brands to look at for a complete upper?
I saw Daniel Defense has complete uppers but they aren't cheap.

skip99

• Active Forum Member
  • Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
Palmettostatearmory.com.   Can buy everthing except a stripped lower for $350

airpirate

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 12:38:29 AM »
You can buy a Ruger AR556 for under $500 usually.  I've built a few, and I can't build as nice a rifle as the Ruger for that amount.

Agreed 100%.  Helluva weapon for that price

78 TA 6.6 W72 WS6
10 Land Rover
08 Dodge Ram
15 Ford Edge
03 Indian Motorcycle

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 12:19:37 AM »
 :-( :mad: :???: :sad: I live in Massachusetts. :sad: The bright side is that I can still buy M1A's so go figure. I didn't want an AR until they told me I couldn't have one. I'm a bit jealous, enjoy your build if you that go way.

flybird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 09:04:54 AM »
:-( :mad: :???: :sad: I live in Massachusetts. :sad: The bright side is that I can still buy M1A's so go figure. I didn't want an AR until they told me I couldn't have one. I'm a bit jealous, enjoy your build if you that go way.

In Massachusetts can you get away with building a 80% gun?
I have been reading about them.
The ATF doesn't consider them a real gun up until you try to sell it as a fully functional gun.
It's illegal to sell a functional "ghost gun"
So if your keeping it with no intent to sell it your OK according to the ATF.

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Gespensterdivision"
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 06:29:21 PM »

You can still buy an AR here in MA, just not new. Go on Armslist.com and look under MA for Pre Healey rifles.

71 Trans Am 5.3 TH350
79 Trans Am Y84 455 TH400
81 Trans Am Daytona 301T

"Put the evidence in the car"

airpirate

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 10:04:00 PM »
Anytime the government tells you that you don't need an AR...you need an AR

78 TA 6.6 W72 WS6
10 Land Rover
08 Dodge Ram
15 Ford Edge
03 Indian Motorcycle

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Gespensterdivision"
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
Anytime the government tells you that you don't need an AR...you need an AR

Pretty much how I feel too. If someone is telling me what I don't need, chances are I probably want one.
71 Trans Am 5.3 TH350
81 Trans Am Daytona 301T

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »
I sold a pre-ban M1A years ago. Yay 20 round mags! Had 4 of them and I shouldv'e kept them but let em go in the deal. I ruptured 2 discs in my back. Even after that healed up I couldn't hold the rifle to my shoulder much less fire it anymore. I feel like the AR platform would've been perfect for me to get back into riflery.

SORRY FOR DERAILING THE TOPIC!  :shock: :lol:

I usually go to several of the Youtube gunguys. Hickcock45 and the Yankee Marshall are a few of my favorites. Neither are really focused on the AR platform but others do. I think Iraqveteran8888 does vids on AR's and accessories.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uag39L5Nds

flybird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 07:13:14 PM »
What is a good trigger?
What is to light that it becomes unsafe?

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 07:13:14 PM »

glenn911

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »
I bought a stripped lower from palmetto few years ago and put in the lower parts kit from stag.  Then bought a complete upper from stag....gun has never malfuctioned....I bought a new Colt LE6920 and it jammed like crazy....sold it for insane profit during the "Obama scare".......
'79 400 4 spd esprit
'78 455 WS6 auto
'74 461 4 spd T/A

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Gespensterdivision"
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »
I'm looking at picking up the 80% kit from 5D Tactical. It looks fairly easy to build one with the supplied jig.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
71 Trans Am 5.3 TH350
81 Trans Am Daytona 301T

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »
You can help support TAC!