Author Topic: LH Remote Mirror Cable Control Question  (Read 279 times)

FL78TA

• Active Forum Member
LH Remote Mirror Cable Control Question
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »
Well, the body shop decided to take apart the toggle control end of my LH remote mirror when they painted and proceeded to loose the parts.  So, they just left the end with the 3 loose small cable ends for me to deal with. They said the end would not go through the door panel when they took it out.  How about enlarging the hole a little bit!! I have bigger problems with them that I am handling but wanted to see if anybody could help me with any tricks in getting it back together.

I went to the scrap yard and found an old mirror and cut off the entire control assembly.  Thought I would just take it apart and put it on mine.  Ha.  No chance.  That thing disintegrated in my hand.

Got another one and this time I am hoping to hear there is some magic trick to getting those tiny little cables attached to it.  The spring tension in the little cage seems to be the hang up.  The mirror is painted and already mounted.  I am not sure it would be any easier to take the mirror off.  I can get to the end just fine with it through the inside door panel.

Thanks folks!

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: LH Remote Mirror Cable Control Question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 04:47:36 AM »
They are not meant to come apart, it's crimped pot metal. You'll need to replace the mirror complete, or at least part the internals into your housing. Your panel shop shouldn't pull things apart but see why first. I'm guessing they couldn't work out how to remove the retainer clip that secures the toggle to door bezel? If so i'd question their other work.

I saved this long ago when I was looking to convert a RH Monte Carlo remote mirror into a Firebird housing, for no other reason than to have a remote both sides, but lost interest.
Mirror remote toggle knob by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
Mirror remote toggle knob2 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
Mirror remote toggle knob3 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:20:50 AM by Aus78Formula »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 08:57:26 AM »
The end that Aus has shown will indeed go through the door panel. And yes to the best of my knowledge it is a permanent fixed end. I wracked what little of my brain i could whilst trying to take mine apart and in the end just let it be. Its not that big of a deal, it just leaves the mirror with a tail. I doubt you could fix it, there should be plenty of mirrors out there used or new. Just replace it. At one point i had 2 or 3 laying around but i think they were lost in my fire.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FL78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »
Yep.  I will likely have to replace the mirror.  Really did not want to do that because I would have to buy a new mirror then take it back to the shop to get it painted.  Plus, I am sure they would screw something else up.  Seems I have no choice.
Thanks for the info and photos.  I will use them and tell the body shop to buy the new mirror and paint it.

I just got the battery in today for the first time.  My instrument lights are super dim even though I replaced all the bulbs.  Turning the headlight switch really doesn't do much.  Changes them just a little.  Flashers work but turn signals don't.  Cleaned everything when I took the steering column apart and everything looked good so not sure what is going on there either.
Going to have to figure out some electrical troubleshooting this weekend!
Thanks again!
ERIC

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:02:40 AM »
No, you just buy a mirror to use the internals. Find one that has nice glass and also good chrome on the control, usually means the rest is clean too. Then swap it into the painted head, couple of screws, done.

Oh wait....I think I know what you mean now. It depends what type your housing is, some had a large hole to fit the cables through, others had small and were assembled in place which is possibly why the paint shop was dismantling them. That said, you can tell that they aren't going to reassemble. And if that's what your housing is like, then the paint doesn't matter as it's now junk. Mention to the paint shop that you have a replacement that they can do since destroying previous.

It's frustrating, the last thing you want to do is give them more work, but also need things fixed....I have several mirrors pulled down, will see if any are suitable for pics.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:08:32 AM by Aus78Formula »

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:02:40 AM »

FL78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 11:42:42 AM »
Ok.  I will have to take off the mirror and see if I have the larger hole to be able to exchange the internals.  That is good info and would save me the trip back to that shop.  Will look for a replacement mirror on Ebay too.  Will need it to use internals or use the whole thing anyway. 
Thanks!
E

mlewisariz

• Active Forum Member
  • 70 T/A,RAIII,4/spd
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »
FL, I agree with Aus78, the cable comes out with the removal of the c-shaped wire retainer on the bezel. THis design was only used on EVERY GM application thru the 70's and probably beyond. Even if it won't come out of the mirror, they should have removed the head/cable assy from the car to paint separately.Body shop should have known and I think would be responsible for any fee to make it right.

Mike
Old enough to know better, but still on the gas.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »
FL, I agree with Aus78, the cable comes out with the removal of the c-shaped wire retainer on the bezel. THis design was only used on EVERY GM application thru the 70's and probably beyond. Even if it won't come out of the mirror, they should have removed the head/cable assy from the car to paint separately.Body shop should have known and I think would be responsible for any fee to make it right.

Mike

Some of the remote cables had an allen screw instead of a wire C clip that holds the cable to the bezel in other GM applications.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »
Oops, was going to post some pics and had to go to work and forgot. Only because I have a box full of mirrors already pulled down to that level.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 04:35:57 AM »
Here's two mirrors with remote cable. This might be what the panel shop had dramas with. If you look at the black mirror you can see the large clearance hole goes through both the mirror support and the head, so the cable and mirror inners can be removed leaving an empty shell.

20180214_210512 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

And here's another, large clearance hole through the support, but cable-size hole through the head. This one has therefore been threaded through the head and then had the end remote crimped together as a unit. It can't be stripped down to a shell without cable running through it still.

20180214_210358 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 07:41:57 AM »
Second pic is exactly what mine looked like. I was able to separate the base but not the mirror from the housing. It is much easier on the pass side. I just worked around it as best as i could.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

mlewisariz

• Active Forum Member
  • 70 T/A,RAIII,4/spd
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
I checked my spares, have a unit from a 71, with large hole in mirror housing and good chrome tip. Housing would need refinish.
$55.00 shipped domestically.  PM sent.

Mike.
Old enough to know better, but still on the gas.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
You can help support TAC!