Author Topic: Year One 17" Snowflake Wheels Saga  (Read 1364 times)

FL78TA

• Active Forum Member
Year One 17" Snowflake Wheels Saga
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:27:34 AM »
Well, I usually take the type of experience I just had with Year One and basically try and put it behind me and just move on......but......this time I thought it would be my duty to share.

I have been restoring my 78 Trans Am for the past 3 years.  It is the first car I ever purchased on my own back in 1981.  Nearing the home stretch of my restoration I made the call to go with the Year One 17" Snowflake Wheels and the Year One Stainless Center Caps.  Figured the lower profile tires would work well with the Pro-Touring F-body Suspension System I had installed. 

Last October 2017 was the time to get them put on the car. Which, I think everyone can relate, is one of the more fun parts of a restoration! Wheels went on with no issues, SS Center caps not so much.  I am not exaggerating when I say I spent 4 hours trying to get the caps to fit into the ID of the wheel.  Bending all of the tabs on the caps, greasing everything, using rubber mallet, etc.  Nothing would allow these things to fit.  The caps had too big of an O.D. where they go into the wheels.  Plus, the repeated attempts at getting them into the wheels was really marring up the I.D. of the Aluminum wheel. 

OK, here is where it gets interesting.  The first call to Year One resulted in a tech or sales guy Marty telling me that he went and pulled a center cap out of stock and was able to put it in with no problems on a wheel they had in stock.  That was it.  OK, now what?  So I make several other attempts at contacting them and after a week goes by I finally get an RA# to return the original non-fitting caps.  I returned them at the end of October 2107.  After a couple weeks go by without any word at all I make contact again.  I am told that something happened that they didn't have the correct address to send them.  Guess they would just wait for me to call.  Got them the correct address.

Another couple weeks go by.  It is the beginning of December and I still don't have center caps for my wheels.  Not a great look seeing the brake drums and wheel bearing caps in the middle of the wheels.  Finally get word that they are waiting on new tooling to make the SS Caps and they are backordered.  January 8th I got the backordered Center Caps.  Couldn't get them out of the box fast enough!  Went to install them and they go right in with barely a "snap" and wobble around about an 1/8"!  They would have fallen out before I left the driveway!  This is not happening!  Next day I call Year One and am told that they got a new vendor for these parts.  The Sales guy tells me he got a cap and wheel and that he could confirm it was loose and told me to start bending the tabs outward to make it fit correctly.  What?!!  You are telling me you get a new vendor on a part and you don't check to see if it is manufactured to the correct spec?  Big Red Flag my friends on the Quality Control going on over there!
So, after spending another hour bending the cap tabs and only getting one of them to fit properly I gave up and called the contact at Year One, Doug Ferguson.  Two emails and two voice mail messages sent the week after I got the caps with no reply at all.  I finally called the main number again at Year One and...what luck...Mr. Ferguson answered the phone!  Aha.  Finally I will get somewhere now......NOT!   He proceeded to tell me that....and this is a direct quote..."We already gave you a FREE set of caps and that is all we are going to do".  Wait, I buy a set of caps that don't fit, I send them back, get another set that don't fit and that is "all we are going to do"?  Where did the FREE caps come in when I paid $44 each for them originally?  Never got my money back or anything.  So when I tell him that they are YEAR ONE wheels and YEAR ONE center caps that don't fit each other and how can you sell parts like that, his response was.....and I quote again....."I am ending this conversation brother".   If I could have jumped through the phone I would be in jail right now.

So that is it.  My conclusion is that the only thing that rivals the poor quality control at Year One is the poor customer service. 

Just thought I would vent to help myself and share this story with the fellow TA brethren out there.  It was an unfortunate and frustrating detour I had to take during my restoration.

Thanks for listening!

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Year One 17" Snowflake Wheels Saga
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 08:03:28 AM »
So did you find out what was incorrect? I have not heard of anyone else with problems. Original centre caps fits perfectly in the type 1 rims, that's all I have experience with, no reason to change anything. Very unusual.

maltoch

• Active Forum Member
  • 79 formula - 301 - totally restored
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:12:55 PM »
i ordered new center caps many years ago and they were too small for my stock 15x7 snwoflakes
i glued they with silicone and never moved....
I AM FRENCH AND LIVE IN FRANCE
job :champagne
food : snails, frogs and fromage.
hobbies : 79 formula

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 07:51:22 AM »
That's a shame that is the best they can come up with for a solution. Sounds to me like they have admitted to defeat by not taking the issue any further. I deal with people every day in my line of business and our motto is the customer is always right, even when they're not. And believe me i have had to deal with some idiots. Sounds like you do not fit into this category and are simply looking for the quality product that you paid for. I know these wheels are not cheap.

On the lighter side though, i have original wheels and like maltoch, the centre hubs are a bit loose but do lock in place. I was temped to use silicone but in my experience it really isn't that good as a glue. I have yet to loose one, hopefully i never will.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

EOD9339

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 08:38:45 AM »
File a complaint with BBB. Even if they are not registered with BBB having one up will get a responce

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 08:38:45 AM »

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »
Perhaps it's some of the repro caps then, maybe not all are made through same company wherever. I sourced many originals for mine and buffed up, fit perfectly. Didn't need silicon but think I added a few spots to keep from rattling loose, like any caps.

Gold member

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
I thought that stuff only happen to me i feel for you . My wheel issue was with Classic industry the link on this site was called 17 are coming it might make you feel better reading my misery LOL
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=68233.0
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 09:10:34 PM »
Yup, that was my saga that started a few others to post about theirs.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

78TA_In87

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 02:10:35 AM »
When they stopped discounting the snowflakes for anything but 4% or so, they suddenly took 30% but I wasn't able to get to the store.  So my GF went down and she made sure they opened all 4 boxes so she could inspect them.  Took them 4 tries (16 boxes!). In the 4th set, the one box was labeled the wrong color.  Had to get the last on from their off location warehouse (so actually 17 boxes!).  Poor girl, she was there for 2 hours!  Thank God she's a car girl.  Earlier this month she was on hold with the DMV for 3 hours, trying to figure out why I didn't get my registration renewal yet for my TA! She deserves to own her dream car too: a red C3 corvette...if only I had the garage space...ok, back on topic...once I get my car back from the shop I'll try my  center caps I got a couple months back.  Not sure if they are plastic or SS, but they are not the correct round ones that came with my 78 but the 6 sided type for the 79+.  I just like the look better.
PONTIAC - We (Did) Build EXCITEMENT!!

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 02:24:57 AM »
Don't lose her, they don't come along more than once.

Gold member

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 05:48:23 AM »
Yup, that was my saga that started a few others to post about theirs.

Glad that's over haven't bought anything from Classic since . I work for a world wide company and i have see a huge transformation over the years on how they treat customers . I think the meeting that stands out the most is when they told us we were over servicing the customer 10 years later they accomplished what they set out to do .
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

FL78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »
I do know from many posts that I have read on these forums that I am certainly not alone out there in dealing with these kind of issues!  It does help my sanity to know that too!

I can only assume that nowhere in the manufacturing process of these Year One Center Caps does someone say "Hmmm, I wonder if we should check to see if they fit in our wheel we are selling these for?"  How hard is it to have what we call a "GO/ NO-GO" gauge to check them in?  Just a hole in an aluminum block machined to the same spec as the wheel hole!

And I won't get into their customer service response again.  My Blood Pressure just started to get back to normal.

I give up.  Some kind of glue or RTV I guess will be my next try.

Thanks for listening

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
It seems there is or was some kind of quality control issues with the wheels. I have seen complaints about them elsewhere. Maybe the guys at Classic are just tired of hearing complaints knowing that there's nothing they can do. I dont really use them for much myself only because they are on the wrong side of the country and shipping takes forever.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

r owsley

• Active Forum Member
  • REGARDS TO ENGINE POWER. TO MUCH IS JUST ENOUGH !
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 12:30:13 AM »
a friend of mine had a set of year one wheels with the clear coming off after one year. he had the same problem , bad customer service.  just by luck i was at a power tour event at gateway in st louis and there set a year one vendor truck and a pr guy . told him what the problem was, he gave me his contact info and a few weeks later my friend had a new set of 17" snow flakes. and the new wheels did not say made in china on the front of the wheel like the 1st set did!

maybe my friend still has his # and e-mail.
69 Grand Prix
69 Trans Am project
76 Trans Am
89 TTA

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 12:54:34 AM »
They had Made in China on the front? What version was that? There are also fakes out there, copied off the YO rims. When his next set peels does he call the guy again?!

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 12:54:34 AM »

FL78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »
I know I will be looking for that Year One exhibit at all the shows I go to this year!  I want to see the Year One guy tell me he is "ending this conversation" while I am standing in front of him.  Hold me back....seriously!  Inexcusable to pay that much money to a company and be treated that way.  Won't get a dime from me in the future.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
I always had good luck with Year One Inc. In the past.
Its been at least 15 years since I bought from them.
Back then They had lots of NOS GM PARTS.
ALL I EVER BOUGHT WAS NOS GM.

Its many years later and know the main stream supply of NOS has dried up for 2nd Gen guys.
Ebay.....search .
Does not come Free.
Bite the Bullet. $$$$.

China .
All seems to come from there.
Factory Rejects that would be in the dumpster here and never sold in the USA Is coming to You Via China Factories.
My guess what is happening.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »
The Aftermarket Wheels for Corvettes 5-stars or A molds as we call them are all made in China.
Really Sheety quality.
Refused.
I found original 1990 ZR-1 11x17' for the rear.
9.5 x 17s up front.

r owsley

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 12:52:53 AM »
They had Made in China on the front? What version was that? There are also fakes out there, copied off the YO rims. When his next set peels does he call the guy again?!
yep said china right by the valve stem.
the 1st version.
that is a very good question. he may not work for year one any more, cost them to much money! ha ha
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:31:05 PM by r owsley »
69 Grand Prix
69 Trans Am project
76 Trans Am
89 TTA

Gold member

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 06:57:57 AM »
All the Year One snowflakes i got from Classic had a year one sticker on the inside but the bar code was scraped off  . Could have been China defects sold to Classic industry ???
1979 Gold Bird
Jim

AirBird1

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
I finally called the main number again at Year One and...what luck...Mr. Ferguson answered the phone!  Aha.  Finally I will get somewhere now......NOT!   He proceeded to tell me that....and this is a direct quote..."We already gave you a FREE set of caps and that is all we are going to do".  Wait, I buy a set of caps that don't fit, I send them back, get another set that don't fit and that is "all we are going to do"?  Where did the FREE caps come in when I paid $44 each for them originally?  Never got my money back or anything.  So when I tell him that they are YEAR ONE wheels and YEAR ONE center caps that don't fit each other and how can you sell parts like that, his response was.....and I quote again....."I am ending this conversation brother".   

FL78TA Thank you for making us wise to their poor customer service practices.  I was going to buy their Honeycomb wheels for our 73 project but after reading this...NOT, Customer service like this just turns me off.  I'm bummed because I really like the wheels but they lost a sale from me.  I am spending thousands of dollars with NPD, Firebird Central, Summit and Ames but will steer clear of Year One.

Does anyone know anything about these wheels?  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-379-8934  It doesn't look like they are supplied by Year One.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 08:32:50 PM »
Don't put wheel on your car that you are not happy with simply from someone else's unrelated customer service dramas that appear to be a one-off. Remember the thousands of happy sales.

aussieta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 10:14:58 PM »
when i started restoring my ta, year one was my main go to
about 10 years ago something happened
quality control went downhill
customer relations ceased to exist
nothing kept in stock any more
now i dont even bother with them
1978 Y84 W72 WS6

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 08:01:30 AM »
Ditto... I live semi close to NPD so if I need bit parts I drive and pick them up. Otherwise I just ordered from them. They used to ship orders for free if over $300, which is easy to do. Their prices always seem lower than Classic industries too. I also like the performance years because they tell you how close a repop part is to the original although I have never bought from them, I have some future order ready.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

AirBird1

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 07:55:26 PM »
These Honeycomb wheels look identical are these wheels all made by the same manufacturer? 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-379-8934

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1967-1968-1969-1970-1971-1972-1973-1974-1975-1976-1977-1978-1979-1980-1981-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-parts/hw1795slv#prettyPhoto[part]/0/

I rather buy from Summit, YearOne always emails me discount codes but every time I want to buy something from them it's "Discount Exempt"  what the hell.

I bought some Trunk hinge torsion rods from Firebird Central which by the way work great until you put the spoiler on!  Even though in the description it says "Correct rating for all models with spoilers"  I called and complained, I talked with Sid, very nice guy, he apologized told me they have had a few complains about it and I could send them back if I wanted to.  I told him that it was more trouble to take them back off and send them back then it was worth.  He said OK here is a code to use on your next order for 10% off.    I said thank you and thought Good customer service.  I placed a order today used the code, it worked and I saved $155 on my order.  Thank you Firebird central!   

r owsley

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
same size, back space, lug nuts, price, description. the only thing i see that looks different is the size of the hole in the center of the wheel.
69 Grand Prix
69 Trans Am project
76 Trans Am
89 TTA

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
I'm late to this post and I apologize for that.  I could have put in you contact with someone that would certainly be more understanding and respectful.  YO has been a TAC supporter for many years and have been great to deal with.  Please email or message me your contact information and I will pass it on to someone who will resolve your issue.  If you have any pictures of the parts you've been given I'm sure that will go along way towards vendor QA issues.

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
You can help support TAC!