Author Topic: Sand Blast  (Read 1213 times)

mereness

• Active Forum Member
Sand Blast
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
As I am tearing down my 79 TATA, I am realizing that there is going to be a lot of small metal parts that will need to be cleaned up.  I am debating on whether I should buy some sort of sand/media blaster to do the small parts myself.  Does anyone have suggestions on brands and types of blasters to buy??
1979 TATA (Restoration has just begun)

TonysTA

• Active Forum Member
Re: Sand Blast
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »
You will need a decent air compressor (I have a 5HP, 60 Gallon Quincy) , assuming you have that check this guy out:  http://www.barrelblaster.com/  I bought his barrel blaster and portable pot blaster, been very happy with both. Customer service is top notch and its made in America which is a nice plus. If you don't have a compressor, you can try a combination of a wire wheel + soaking the parts in coke. I did this previously before I had my compressor and it worked out OK.

silvert/a

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »
That is a decent looking blaster at a price that makes it affordable.
Mark                                                                                                                  1978 Silver Trans Am 400 Automatic1967 Firebird 326 3 speed manual

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 07:34:44 AM »
I have this one or one close. I bought it 18 years ago. Has done a great job for me. I added a light to mine...

https://m.harborfreight.com/benchtop-blast-cabinet-62454.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:37:01 AM by FormTA »
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Dandy77

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »
I have a 5hp 60 gal compressor with a sand blasting cabinet. I throw everything in it from metal to plastic even wire harnesses. Best thing I ever bought. You have to adjust the pressure obviously. Water and dirt filter is a must.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 07:46:27 AM »
I bought a pressure tank blaster from eastwood and could never get it to act right. I finally traded it away and bought a small siphon gun from tractor supply for $20. and it worked great. Not ideal for big jobs but it worked. I also bought a small blast cabinet from tractor supply. It worked good but you need to make sure to use the screen protectors with it. If you need anything powder coated there is a guy in Dallastown area right off of 222 that does a great job. His prices are good and pretty quick turnaround time. I have been using him for years now. I can give you his info if you want it.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »
Thanks again for all of the information.  Roadking77, yes please send me that information for the future.

I am still debating on whether to get the whole car blasted or only concentrate on the small areas and just remove the remaining paint by hand.  I got one estimate for the full car to be blasted for $900.
1979 TATA (Restoration has just begun)

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 08:39:39 PM »
I have this one or one close. I bought it 18 years ago. Has done a great job for me. I added a light to mine...

https://m.harborfreight.com/benchtop-blast-cabinet-62454.html

I agree with this. A blast cabinet is most convenient for anything that will fit in it. Whatever blast media you use will be recycled in the cabinet, so it will last quite a while, saving money on media. Glass beads are often used in a cabinet, and I've used to use them, but it's more expensive. So, I switched to Black Diamond abrasive blast media which works well and is cheaper.
Steve F.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
Yup, me too. Here are my hood hinges I did the other day.

Oh, and you can remove the syphon gun from the cabinet and use it outside on larger items. At least you can on mine.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:41:16 AM by FormTA »

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 07:45:20 PM »
I have the Hazard Frought pressure pot and 40lb blast cabinet. The pressure pot is pretty good after you upgrade the feed valve. You absolutely will need a big compressor to make it work like others have said.

HF's cabinet comes with a gun that didn't work and from what I've read doesn't work all that well anyhow. I replaced it with $15 Campbel Hausfield siphon gun. After upgrades to the gun and lights and adding casters, it cost less than $200 and can technically run on a small compressor.

The thing you need to keep in mind is that the size of your compressor will dictate what size tips you can use. The size of the tip will dictate what size media you can use. Tips usually come in 4 sizes for hobby style blasters. The smallest tips are 3/32" and can be run on little compressors but it will take awhile.

My 5hp 60 gallon 15cfm compressor is powerful enough to run the next size up, 7/64". It is technically powerful enough to run the next size up, 1/8", but it looses efficiency in cutting. The 9/64" tip is too big for my compressor. 9/64" and larger tips require serious compressors that usually beyond hobbyist types like myself.

I got prices of $1500 and up to do a whole car in Massachusetts. If you don't have a big compressor or plan or buying one then farming out the job may be worthwhile.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »
That is amazing. I didn't post it but I did the exact same thing. Campbell hausfield siphon gun and light...

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 10:20:22 PM »
@FormTA, I found replacement tips for the CH gun at: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/  Part Number: MP310900AV for $2 a piece. I bought 10 of them. I found them at other online retailers for $5-$15, like Amazon and Ebay. In the past, I just replaced the gun because the tips cost the same amount until I found eReplacemnt parts. I also converted my cabinet to a top loader because it was easier on my back.

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 10:33:44 PM »
And upgrading to high flow connectors makes a huge and noticeable difference. I tried the aluminum ones that Home Depot sells and they got chewed up and started leaking after a few uses, I mean like 3 or 4 uses. The automotive series coupler sold by Hopeless Fraud have been holding quite well for 6 months or so. When and if they start leaking I'm gonna look into upgrading to 3/8" Milton V fittings. Blasters can never get enough air.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 05:46:10 AM »
Good point about the connectors. Thanks for link for the tips. I still have a few from years back when I found them on clearance at some store. But I am sure I will need them soon.

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »
A few other tips:

Blasters have a lot of wear parts. blasting tips, hoses, valves, lights and screens

DO NOT USE SAND as a blasting media. Look up silicosis. It does work but usually will need to be sifted for size. If you do use sand also use lung protection.

Here's a cfm chart to help choose compressor/blaster/ tips configs: http://www.sandblasterinfo.com/air-compressor-chart/

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »