Author Topic: Cold case radiator install in 78 TA  (Read 348 times)

FL78TA

• Active Forum Member
Cold case radiator install in 78 TA
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:40:25 PM »
Just started to put in my new Cold Case Aluminum raditor in my 78 TA.  I should also mention I am using an OER fan shroud.  I noticed that the rubber mounts seemed too thick and I can't get the holes in the shroud to go forward enough to line up the holes.  I need another inch.
Does anyone out there know if you need to trim the rubber mounts to allow for more clearance?  Saw a 1 minute video on YouTube and it slides right together for the guy.  I am wondering if my repro fan shroud is to blame.
Thanks for the help.
Eric

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Cold case radiator install in 78 TA
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:32:41 PM »
Try again but apply Dawn Dish soap or similar on the new rubber radiator cushion mounts.

If its a no go then you can carefully reduce the thickness of the rubber cushions on a bench grinder wheel.

FL78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »
Well, I have about three hours of trying to get this Cold Case radiator to fit into the fan shroud and then aligned with the radiator support holes.  In and out about ten times so far.  I trimmed the rubber isolators because I thought that was the issue.  Now, the top of the radiator hits the speed nuts in the support for the top fan shroud bolts.   Just another one of those "fits right in with no modifications" parts again I guess!  There is no way this is the same size as OEM.  I mean come on!  Its four pads and six bolts!  Should have taken me 10 minutes!

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 05:41:27 PM »
Well, I have about three hours of trying to get this Cold Case radiator to fit into the fan shroud and then aligned with the radiator support holes.  In and out about ten times so far.  I trimmed the rubber isolators because I thought that was the issue.  Now, the top of the radiator hits the speed nuts in the support for the top fan shroud bolts.   Just another one of those "fits right in with no modifications" parts again I guess!  There is no way this is the same size as OEM.  I mean come on!  Its four pads and six bolts!  Should have taken me 10 minutes!

The Original GM Harrison Radiators are long gone.
Mint original not leaking if you don't have it is pretty much unobtainable.
Mint NOS Perfect in the GM Box even more difficult to find.

Modifying aftermarket parts is pretty typical.

Some guys have had pretty good luck with the aftermarket Brass & Copper radiators.

Cold Case radiators have decent reviews as far keeping a Pontiac V8 cool in the summer heat.

Measure your original parts if you have them.
Then measure the new parts.
Compare measurements.

FL78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
Unfortunately it has been three years since I disassembled everything and I just didn't have the space to keep much of the old stuff.  I was just saying to myself how nice it would be to have something to compare with.

Its seems that the Cold Case radiator is too tall.  It just won't go into the shroud far enough.  I thought it was the rubber so I even cut them up and still not in.

I took pics of the problem but I don't see how to attach them.

I am going to post on a couple other sites too.  Somebody out there has gone through installing a Cold Case with an OER Fan Shroud......I hope.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »
Unfortunately it has been three years since I disassembled everything and I just didn't have the space to keep much of the old stuff.  I was just saying to myself how nice it would be to have something to compare with.

Its seems that the Cold Case radiator is too tall.  It just won't go into the shroud far enough.  I thought it was the rubber so I even cut them up and still not in.

I took pics of the problem but I don't see how to attach them.

I am going to post on a couple other sites too.  Somebody out there has gone through installing a Cold Case with an OER Fan Shroud......I hope.
Call the Manufacturers.
I can not make call what the exact issue is .
Post a picture if you can too.

FL78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 08:17:15 AM »
I can't figure out how to post photos on here.  I did post them on Hitman's forum but I don't see any attachment field in this one.  It won't let me copy and paste them either??  And nothing happens when I hit the "insert image" tab. 
The pics would help. 

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
I can't figure out how to post photos on here.  I did post them on Hitman's forum but I don't see any attachment field in this one.  It won't let me copy and paste them either??  And nothing happens when I hit the "insert image" tab. 
The pics would help.
You have to use a Photo Hosting site here on TAC.
I use IMIGUR.
Its real easy to sign up and use.

Do not Use Photobucket unless you want to lose your pictures as many us have.
I lost at 10,000 photos on multiple Forums I posted since 2007.
They will want $ 400 per year from you too so you can get your photos back online.

IMIGUR is free.
Some are using Yahoo as a photo hosting site. Have an account there also.
Works fine.
I like IMIGUR better & its features.

Look for the Tiny Mona Lisa Icon tab.
Click on it.
Its on the Upper left hand corner 2 tabs to the right or so.
You copy from the hosting website.
Then Paste into the Mona Lisa Tab opened.
Then post on TAC.
May take a few tries till you get the hang of it.
Becomes easy after that.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
You can help support TAC!