Author Topic: College Question  (Read 376 times)

flybird

• Active Forum Member
College Question
« on: January 07, 2018, 07:11:19 PM »
Hello everyone
Hope you are well.
I hope maybe someone can help me out.
Back in my day we didn't have Online college.
If you wanted to go to college you had to go sit in a class room.
Well times have changed and today we have online college.
I am considering giving it a try... again :)
But where I get puzzled... what is to keep people/kids from just cheating their way through it  :lol:
Honestly the google search bar is right there
What does online college schools do to keep you from just googling the answers???

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:14:09 PM by flybird »

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
Re: College Question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
There's nothing to stop you.  I think we're now into the mindset of where it's more acceptable, or even preferred, to "Use the tools available to you in order to succeed even if it's somewhat unscrupulous" versus "Do your best with what you have and play fair, but fail".

Now your tests and quizzes are usually timed once you start them, so you don't have all day, but you still generally have plenty of time to search for answers.  That and finals are usually done at the school in person.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:52:24 PM by Box »

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

ta9590

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:22:20 AM »
My wife chose to do online classes from Eastern Oregon University(We live in NC).  She did very well, but what she found out pretty quickly was that she was basically teaching herself.  There's little to no teacher interaction whatsoever.  Sure, you can send your professor an email if you have questions, but you're at their mercy whenever they get around to answering it as they don't sit at a computer all day long.  In her case, it was her responsibility to find a proctor when it came time to take finals, etc.  Unless you have someone who does that and is a friend, there might be a cost associated with it.  If you're someone who needs/likes interaction with a teacher, then it's something I wouldn't recommend.  Either way, best of luck to you...
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
Typically the tests are done at school or somewhere that is monitored using the school's computers, additionally I've heard (from my kids that take online tests) is that they capture screen shots to prevent people from googling the answers.

Regards, Jack

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »
I guess it varies from school to school, but at the end of the day there's nothing stopping you from using your phone or a second computer if the school you're using takes screenshots.

See, being smart and using my resources I've foiled their simple preventative. :lol:

The local college program my brother is using only the semester finals are done at the school, all the tests and quizzes are done online at home as well as any assignments.  So it just depends.  I imagine the higher up and more prestigious schools still have most of their testing done on campus if they even offer online, but I imagine most smaller colleges will be like the one he goes to.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:28:41 PM by Box »

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »

ih8z28s

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:10:28 PM »
When I went back to school I took an online course and it was not for me!  the lack of interaction was a big problem for me, ask a question, wait a day for an answer, might be good for some folk but not an old guy like me., needless to say I didn't take anymore.  My youngest is taking a couple online classes with his regular course load to get ahead, but he's used to it.
"Gonna need a fast car to run blocker"
"fast car"
"faster then that"

Blue 1980 T/A 400 auto

flybird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 11:34:50 AM »
Well to be honest
I am kinda having a wtf moment.
I got a nice email from the college saying I have to pay $70 just to apply for the course.
and if I get rejected no refund.

I can understand having to pay for the classes
I can understand having to pay for the books and what not
but to have to pay just for the application just to see if I can take a class ..... that's stupidity

pancho400cid

• Active Forum Member
  • Viva los PONCHOS!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »
There is a wide array of "on line" college work available.  It varies from very legitimate to total scam.  Many follow the business model of working to get the student enrolled, get them all the student loans possible, take the money and then turn them loose with a near worthless "degree"... better yet let the student drop out after a couple of semesters.

No matter what ANYONE tells you, an on-line degree does not have the same credibility as a degree from a brick and mortar university.
1978 Trans Am - Chesterfield Brown - current project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - future uncertain

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 04:11:16 PM »
You need to look back at JB in the original post. How can you have that much fun from an online course? LOL
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »
There is a wide array of "on line" college work available.  It varies from very legitimate to total scam.  Many follow the business model of working to get the student enrolled, get them all the student loans possible, take the money and then turn them loose with a near worthless "degree"... better yet let the student drop out after a couple of semesters.

No matter what ANYONE tells you, an on-line degree does not have the same credibility as a degree from a brick and mortar university.
Indeed, I would only do online classes with an actual brick and mortar college or university.  Since their credits apply towards other accredited colleges and universities.  That and I would still choose a local school, so then any in person testing required isn't an ordeal.

pancho400cid

• Active Forum Member
  • Viva los PONCHOS!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »
You need to look back at JB in the original post. How can you have that much fun from an online course? LOL

I didn't go to college... I just stayed at HOME and got drunk........

(comedian I heard once)
1978 Trans Am - Chesterfield Brown - current project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - future uncertain

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 07:54:14 AM »
LOL.  I have a similar line I use. Pop was a Marine. I always say, "I didn't have to join the Marines, because I was raised by one".
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

airpirate

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:08 PM »
If you actually attend a university now days , they will teach you to hate America and pee like a girl :)

78 TA 6.6 W72 WS6
10 Land Rover
08 Dodge Ram
15 Ford Edge
03 Indian Motorcycle

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 11:50:10 PM »
What's wrong with peeing like a girl, they don't piss all over the toilet and floor like boys so they must be doing something better. :lol:

flybird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 10:51:37 AM »
Be honest with me guys
What is really wins in todays world??

Work Experience
College

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 10:51:37 AM »

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 02:43:54 PM »
It depends, but probably work experience.  Though certain jobs will require certain degrees, but if that's not the case then probably work experience will prevail.  If you want a degree to help get most any job then a business degree is probably the way to go, they don't call it the Swiss army knife of degrees for nothing.

airpirate

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
I have had direct reports that had Cornell undergrad degrees and Harvard MBA's that couldn't find their ass with both hands, I myself have attended continuing education business classes from Harvard ( idiot professors actually told a class of executives they never had a job).

Steve Jobs from Apple - college drop out

Bill Gates- college drop out

Chuck Yeager- no college

I have friends that are multi millionaires with minimal school, college is expensive, however if your into engineering, medicine , law and some others , required.   Most business want a degree as well unless you can sell your benefits of experience that will prove your an asset

78 TA 6.6 W72 WS6
10 Land Rover
08 Dodge Ram
15 Ford Edge
03 Indian Motorcycle

DD78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
Experience or degree? There's so many variables to that question I'd say start with trying to get an idea what it is you think you want to do. Then spend a little time trying to find a couple people in that field and see what they say about the degree requirement, and if it's even needed, and if so, is it generally prefered to be on-line or not. I would think there would be a lot of different scenarios depending on the field of work you choose.

Good Luck in your quest!! Going around asking around asking questions like that could result in some job offers.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »
I believe any education is a good thing. Depends on what you're after. If there is a particular career in mind that requires further schooling then it should be well worth it. If you just want to get a degree and then feel things out then that may not be money well spent.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Gespensterdivision"
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »
Nothing to stop you from cheating online, that's why I took some of my harder classes online  :lol:

71 Trans Am 5.3 TH350
79 Trans Am Y84 455 TH400
81 Trans Am Daytona 301T

"Put the evidence in the car"

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »
You can help support TAC!