Author Topic: Adjusting tie rods to center steering wheel  (Read 462 times)

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
Adjusting tie rods to center steering wheel
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:00:48 AM »
I tried a Google search for this and could not find anything about which direction you need to turn the tie rod adjusters in a drag link steering system to move both front wheels toward the left (driver side).  My car tracks toward the right with the steering wheel centered.  Does anyone know which direction to turn them.  I'd prefer not to have to experiment to find this out.
79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette Grand Sport convertible,F45,LT4,M6
06 Vette convertible,Z51,M6

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
Re: Adjusting tie rods to center steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »
make sure you don't have a caliper sizing up on you first.

Center the steering wheel then adjust the tie rod sleeves to straighten the front wheel's toe setting.
The inner tie rods are left hand tread the outers are right hand.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »
Can you say which way to turn them to increase or decrease the linkage length?  Do both sides turn the same way or will it be opposite directions depending on the side?
79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3

aussieta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
rh side screw in, left hand side screw out
you will need an alignment to adjust the toe in after
1978 Y84 W72 WS6

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »
Can you say which way to turn them to increase or decrease the linkage length?  Do both sides turn the same way or will it be opposite directions depending on the side?

I did not answer that part of the question because it can get confusing so I just gave which on is RH and LH  (righty tighty lefty loosy )
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:25:54 AM »

If you are under the car and facing the tire, is it counter clockwise or clockwise roation of the adjusting sleeve?
79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »
If you put a little paint mark, or tape, where the threads enter the sleeve, and then turn the sleeve, you'll know pretty quickly whether the threads are screwing into the sleeve, shortening the tie rod length, or out of the sleeve, lengthening the tie rod.
Steve F.

hakitup

• Active Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »
This has been a good thread, everyone is trying to help without really saying what’s on their mind. In a perfect world your car should have a RH tie rod at the passenger wheel and a LH at the center section on the passenger side and RH tie rod at the center section and LH at the wheel on the drivers side. In that case rotating the sleeve front side up will decrease the length and rotating it down increases the length. The parts can be put in the wrong position very easy and is the reason everyone is saying to crawl under and look at the pitch of the threads then make the adjustment.

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 12:00:22 PM »
This has been a good thread, everyone is trying to help without really saying what’s on their mind. In a perfect world your car should have a RH tie rod at the passenger wheel and a LH at the center section on the passenger side and RH tie rod at the center section and LH at the wheel on the drivers side. In that case rotating the sleeve front side up will decrease the length and rotating it down increases the length. The parts can be put in the wrong position very easy and is the reason everyone is saying to crawl under and look at the pitch of the threads then make the adjustment.

Tom H

Not to be a jerk but this should be taken down because it is completely wrong, there is no such thing as "perfect world" in fact it is as perfect as can be to have the inner tie rods LH and the outer tie rods RH, it is standardized therefore correct as engineered by the auto maker.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »

If you are under the car and facing the tire, is it counter clockwise or clockwise roation of the adjusting sleeve?

This question is confusing, you may know what you are asking but the correct answer would be "both" ways unless you tell us how you are looking at it.

I mentioned the OUTER tie rods are RIGHT HAND THREAD that is all you need to turn them which ever way you need to adjust.

If you turn a RH thread clock wise it screw on if you turn it counter clockwise it screws off, forget that there even is an inner tie rod.
The outer tie rod is fixed , you only turn the adjuster sleeve just like a nut on a bolt.

hakitup

• Active Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »
The real answer is...........if you can’t figure out which way to adjust you should take it to a shop.

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

aussieta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 03:44:54 PM »
The real answer is...........if you can’t figure out which way to adjust you should take it to a shop.

Tom H
the correct answer, 10/10
1978 Y84 W72 WS6

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 01:08:15 PM »
Today I painlessly centered my steering wheel.  I used Steve's (Grand73Am) tape idea to monitor what was happening while turning the tie rod adjusters.  Rotating the adjuster front side up increased the length on the driver's side and decreased it on the passenger's side.  My steering wheel was originally just off of center between 11 and 12 o'clock.  Both sides needed about a 1/8 to 1/4 turn to center the wheel.
79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »
If the box is also centered, then it's all good.  Among the other issues raised here, you never know when somebody is going to take the wheel off and move it so that you have a "preferred" alignment with the steering box off center.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »