Author Topic: 79 TATA Project in VA  (Read 15609 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 79 TATA Project in VA
« Reply #200 on: October 28, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »
He is. It's at least double the stock engine... :cool:
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2019, 10:54:25 PM »
I would stuff the holes tight with rags and be careful cleaning around them...at least when you pullout the rags, the dirt will come with it but I would also vaccum up the loose dirt before pulling the rags out of the holes.

Someone smarter might have a better idea though!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(19 years and counting but still have her)

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
It has been awhile since I last updated my thread, but I really haven't made a lot newsworthy progress.  I have been cleaning up the engine in preparation to throwing some rattle can paint on it.

From the reading I have been doing, I won't need the Oil Level Sensor that sits in the side of the oil pan.  I ordered a plug from Amazon (ICT Billet P/N 551413).  When I started to thread it in it seemed like the threads were different on the plug as opposed to that of the sensor.  I do know that my engine is an early 98 LS out of a camaro.  Has anyone run into this issue?  I scoured the internet and haven't been able to find another one with different threads.
1979 TATA (Restoration has just begun)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2019, 06:04:47 AM »
I thought the ecm needed the signal.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I pulled the plate and drilled and tapped it, installed a 45 elbow and the 79 oil sending unit.  My car has both sending unit.  Maybe Ryan will chime in. He know more than I.

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2019, 11:02:24 PM »
Hey! Something I might be able to help with!
  I researched that oil level sensor for my '99 F-Body LS1.  The ECM does not require that signal.  It was only used for an idiot 'low oil' light on the dash.  To plug it  I used PN 551413 from Jegs: https://www.jegs.com/i/ICT-Billet/335/551413/10002/-1.  It's listed there as 'M20x1.5' with an O-ring.
You didn't ask, but on a related note...
I also found that (at least) the 98-99 ECM's do not require a signal from the Oil Pressure sensor (The one at the rear of the intake manifold) either.  I replaced that oil pressure sensor behind the intake manifold with the appropriate sensor for my stock oil '81 pressure gauge using an adapter (JEGS PN 551172).  Because of the size of the '81 oil pressure sensor it didn't fit right into that position at the rear of the manifold. So,  I had to use a small tube to relocate the sensor itself.  I got the 'tube to relocate the oil pressure sensor' idea from the '79 Olds 403 which came stock with a tube to solve the same problem on those motors. (Sensor too big to fit in the oil pressure port).  I  have pics of that in my build post somewhere. 

Hope this helps!
-Tom

P.S. Both the plug and oil pressure stuff are mentioned and pictured on page 5 of my build thread (link in signature).  And, to clarify the oil pressure sensor "in 1998-2002, the oil pressure sending units were not used by the computer, they were only used by the Body computer and gauges, in 2003+ the computer uses them".  (That info is from one of the LS Swap harness vendors.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:14:09 PM by TATurbo »
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=69897.0

« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2019, 11:02:24 PM »

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2019, 05:25:57 AM »
Tom,

Thank you for all of the info.  I will check the jegs site out and order those parts.  Since I started doing my engine I have been going to your thread for some of the great detailed information.  If you have any other info or recall any specific parts that you ordered for your swap, please send them along.  I remember when I was doing my brakes, suspension, etc you emailed me a very useful spreadsheet of the parts that you used for a reference.  Did you happen to do the same for your swap?  LOL  My engine is out of a '98 Camaro, so should be very similar to yours.

Next step is to find out a way to print both your thread and Ryan's thread so I can have them in the garage with me as I go through my swap.

As always TAC's members are the greatest resource for anyone going through an F-Body rebuild.

Thanks a ton.
Kevin

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2019, 05:54:07 AM »
Great info Tom! It's been a while since I did mine and I didn't do half of the research you did. Thanks to Ryan, I have mine running.

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2019, 12:58:10 AM »
I'm glad I am able to help!
I have pretty much every part I used for my swap in that spreadsheet.  There's a 'drive train' tab at the bottom of that sheet..click on that...all the engine/trans stuff is in there.  It looks like I did most of that stuff from like March '18 through Fall '18.  If the spreadsheet you have is older than that(or if you're not sure) let me know. I'll send you a new copy. 
IIRC '98 and 99 are exactly the same engine wise.  The computer is a little different(but interchangable), and the '98 Temp sensor wires are different.
I ended up with a bit of a mixed bag with '99 LS1 using a later model PCM.  That's just because the wire harness package I bought came 'all inclusive' and they chose to provide a later model PCM.  Anyway...that's a whole 'nother discussion.  That place sort of left me hanging with a 'tune related' set of 'Too Lean condition' codes. 

Anyway...Let me know if you want another copy of the spreadsheet. (Did I email it the last time?)
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2019, 07:53:32 PM »
Not a lot of great or exciting news to report, but thought that I would give a quick update.  All my work in the past weeks have been concentrating on freshening up the engine.  I was able to separate it from the transmission.  Clean it up, install oil pan gaskets, intake gaskets, belly pan gaskets, oil filter, spark plugs, wires, etc.  Also, I was able to through a coat of paint on the valve covers, intake, fuel rail, and engine.

This picture doesn't reflect all of the updates.  The fuel rail and new water pump are now installed as well.  I have since moved on to freshening up the transmission.

IMG_20191112_173258897 by Kevin Mereness, on Flickr

Over the next few weeks I am hoping to relocate the oil pressure switch and install the temperature sensor, then move on to marrying up the engine and transmission to drop them back in the car.

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #209 on: November 20, 2019, 10:02:47 PM »
That looks cool
Charlie

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2019, 10:08:12 PM »
Wow that looks so good! I should have done something similar but I just dropped it in the car after I removed it from the donor.

I like the color choice too.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2019, 08:26:47 AM »
Looks great!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #212 on: November 21, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »
Very cleanly detailed!  That should look really nice installed.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; modified Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #213 on: November 21, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
Wow, that motor looks great! Depending on what gauges you use, you probably won't need that stock oil pressure sensor. If using the stock gauges, you would use the stock Pontiac sensor, or if aftermarket you would use their specific sensor.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #214 on: November 26, 2019, 06:16:33 AM »
Thanks for all the positive responses for part of the project that I actually downplayed.  I was thinking clean it up real good, prep it, paint it, and plop it back in.  But typical me I ended up re-gasketing most of the engine without digging into the heads.  Then that lead to buying new sensors (throttle body, map, etc.).  So I will be glad getting the trans off of the engine stand, married up to the engine, and finally back in the car for now.

So moving onto the next project I have a few questions:
-What is the sensor on the tail piece of the transmission?  I can get a picture of it if someone would like.  I was just wondering if I should replace this as well.
-What is everyone else using for a fuel system (tank, lines, pump, filter, etc.) for their swap?  My car engine is a 5.7 out of a 98 Camaro if that makes a difference.
-While researching (saving?) for the fuel system I am also wondering what everyone is using for radiator and fan?

To try to let the funds build back up I bought a few things to start on the dash.  So hopefully I will be posting those pictures in the coming month.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all!!!

« Reply #214 on: November 26, 2019, 06:16:33 AM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #215 on: November 26, 2019, 07:47:17 AM »
Like most I used a spectra EFI fuel tank, a Corvette fuel filter (which converts it to a returnless system) and plastic nylon fuel line (like what is used on new cars) I'll see if I can find some part numbers for you. It's been a while since I did my swap so there is probably better options out there. But that's what I did and it seemed to work.

The nylon kit below is just to give you and idea, I didn't buy that kit, I bought everything separate from my local Napa.

***edit***

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 07:58:19 AM by FormTA »

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
Thanks for the info Form.

Below is a link to the Spectra Tank.  Great Deal.  Unfortunately I do not have a Pep Boys near me and they do not ship.  The nearest store is over 2 hours one way.

https://www.pepboys.com/spectra-premium-fuel-tank-and-pump-assy-w-fn-/product/1259153/1998/CHEVROLET/CORVETTE/V8-346%20%205.7L%20GEN%20III

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #217 on: November 27, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »
If you do get one, double check to make sure the sock filter didn't fall of in shipping. I heard many folks had this problem. As you can see on the picture I bought mine on Amazon in 2015. I think I paid $225 back then.... There may be better options out there now. I haven't looked.

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2019, 05:16:22 PM »
Thanks for all the great information on fuel delivery.  It definitely gives me some numbers (cost) to shoot for.

The long weekend was a success.  The transmission got cleaned, painted, filter changed, and married back up to the engine.  From there I dropped the transmission and engine back into the car.  I am hoping that I don't have to pull it back out.
IMG_20191130_154118059 by Kevin Mereness, on Flickr
IMG_20191201_125546329 by Kevin Mereness, on Flickr

After the trans and engine were installed, I decided to move forward with the dash repair.  Thanks to some detailed threads from Roadking and others, I started to pull off the brittle portions.  Well, it seemed like what I thought wasn't going to be bad, I am going to have to repair the bulk of the dash.  I have 1 can of Padded Dash Filler, but I might just as well order another can....
IMG_20191201_123501902 by Kevin Mereness, on Flickr

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #219 on: December 01, 2019, 05:32:50 PM »
Engine looks amazing! Oh wow! That dash needs some help... Good luck! I hope it come out like the engine!

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2019, 07:20:42 AM »
Great progress!!!

I have a cap the I purchased years ago but after seeing how people are using the filler, I'm not sure what route to go...the one dash I have has little wrong with it but watching everyone fix their dashes makes me lean in that direction.

I look forward to seeing that progress

updates look great...thanks
Charlie

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2019, 07:56:48 AM »
Transplant looks fantastic! Good luck with the dash repair, ive seen worse.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2019, 02:43:05 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I ran across this EFI package.  Curious if anyone has any experience with this company??

https://www.classicperform.com/Complete-Fuel-Injection-Ready-Tank-Kits/fuel-injection-tank-kits.htm

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2019, 11:09:08 PM »
The motor looks great! Congrats on getting it installed.  That's a big milestone!
  I think replacing gaskets and sensors at this stage is a smart move.  I did the same thing with mine. I've only put maybe 1200 miles on the combo there's been no problems (knock on wood).  And I was confident enough to make an 800 mi. road trip no problem.  Additionally, my brother was thankful it hasn't leaked a drop of anything on his new (at the time) shop floor.  (Having known this car many years, and having several of his own F-Bodies he was surprised it hasn't tried to mark it's territory down there.)

Regarding that fuel system kit...
I don't have any experience with that company or their kit.  But, I can tell you that the CPP kit would be much cheaper than what I ended up using. I used kits from BRP Hot Rods. They had a Tank and Pump kit for 550.00 and a fuel line/regulator kit for 399.00.  So, I spent 950.00 for my fuel system, almost twice the cost of the CPP kit you found.  The only difference might be the line. The  BRP kit uses P.T.F.E fuel line.  I think PTFE is very heavy duty stuff which might be overkill in our applications.  There are links to the BRP kit I used on that Parts List spreadsheet, Drive Train tab.
I don't see a list of parts on the CPP site, but the pic seems to show everything you need from tank to fuel rail.  For the price, it seems like a great deal to me. 

Regarding the Trans sensor question...
I'm no expert on the 4L60E Transmission (or any other Transmission for that matter.  But I suspect the sensor on the Transmission you mentioned is probably the speed signal/sensor on the passenger side of the Trans tailshaft.  I don't think they are a wear item or send any signal that would inhibit getting the car fired up and running.  I did not replace mine.  It's not in a tough spot to access either, so if you did have some sort of code or trans related drive-ability issue it'd be easy enough to replace it at that time.

Congrats again on the progress...Looks awesome so far!
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2019, 04:47:15 AM »
Wow, that looks to be a nice kit for the price.

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #225 on: Today at 05:08:18 PM »
Thanks for the input on the few deals that I came across on the fuel systems.  I still haven't decided which to move forward with. 

My dash has been throwing me fits.  After the first pass with the padded filler and a sand down, I noticed that where the new filler meets the old dash that it is separating.  Has anyone else experienced this?  The only thing that I can think about is I didn't use any adhesion promoter.
IMG_20191202_175116775 by Kevin Mereness, on Flickr

After the first pass with filler and sanding, I had to order more filler.  I did go ahead with another pass of filler.  We will see if I get better results.  Any advice or tips would be great....  I am starting to consider a dash cover.

Thanks.  Have a great day.

« Reply #225 on: Today at 05:08:18 PM »
You can help support TAC!