Author Topic: 79 TATA Project in VA  (Read 14593 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 79 TATA Project in VA
« Reply #200 on: October 28, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »
He is. It's at least double the stock engine... :cool:
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2019, 10:54:25 PM »
I would stuff the holes tight with rags and be careful cleaning around them...at least when you pullout the rags, the dirt will come with it but I would also vaccum up the loose dirt before pulling the rags out of the holes.

Someone smarter might have a better idea though!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
It has been awhile since I last updated my thread, but I really haven't made a lot newsworthy progress.  I have been cleaning up the engine in preparation to throwing some rattle can paint on it.

From the reading I have been doing, I won't need the Oil Level Sensor that sits in the side of the oil pan.  I ordered a plug from Amazon (ICT Billet P/N 551413).  When I started to thread it in it seemed like the threads were different on the plug as opposed to that of the sensor.  I do know that my engine is an early 98 LS out of a camaro.  Has anyone run into this issue?  I scoured the internet and haven't been able to find another one with different threads.
1979 TATA (Restoration has just begun)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2019, 06:04:47 AM »
I thought the ecm needed the signal.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I pulled the plate and drilled and tapped it, installed a 45 elbow and the 79 oil sending unit.  My car has both sending unit.  Maybe Ryan will chime in. He know more than I.

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2019, 11:02:24 PM »
Hey! Something I might be able to help with!
  I researched that oil level sensor for my '99 F-Body LS1.  The ECM does not require that signal.  It was only used for an idiot 'low oil' light on the dash.  To plug it  I used PN 551413 from Jegs: https://www.jegs.com/i/ICT-Billet/335/551413/10002/-1.  It's listed there as 'M20x1.5' with an O-ring.
You didn't ask, but on a related note...
I also found that (at least) the 98-99 ECM's do not require a signal from the Oil Pressure sensor (The one at the rear of the intake manifold) either.  I replaced that oil pressure sensor behind the intake manifold with the appropriate sensor for my stock oil '81 pressure gauge using an adapter (JEGS PN 551172).  Because of the size of the '81 oil pressure sensor it didn't fit right into that position at the rear of the manifold. So,  I had to use a small tube to relocate the sensor itself.  I got the 'tube to relocate the oil pressure sensor' idea from the '79 Olds 403 which came stock with a tube to solve the same problem on those motors. (Sensor too big to fit in the oil pressure port).  I  have pics of that in my build post somewhere. 

Hope this helps!
-Tom

P.S. Both the plug and oil pressure stuff are mentioned and pictured on page 5 of my build thread (link in signature).  And, to clarify the oil pressure sensor "in 1998-2002, the oil pressure sending units were not used by the computer, they were only used by the Body computer and gauges, in 2003+ the computer uses them".  (That info is from one of the LS Swap harness vendors.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:14:09 PM by TATurbo »
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=69897.0

« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2019, 11:02:24 PM »

mereness

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2019, 05:25:57 AM »
Tom,

Thank you for all of the info.  I will check the jegs site out and order those parts.  Since I started doing my engine I have been going to your thread for some of the great detailed information.  If you have any other info or recall any specific parts that you ordered for your swap, please send them along.  I remember when I was doing my brakes, suspension, etc you emailed me a very useful spreadsheet of the parts that you used for a reference.  Did you happen to do the same for your swap?  LOL  My engine is out of a '98 Camaro, so should be very similar to yours.

Next step is to find out a way to print both your thread and Ryan's thread so I can have them in the garage with me as I go through my swap.

As always TAC's members are the greatest resource for anyone going through an F-Body rebuild.

Thanks a ton.
Kevin

1979 TATA (Restoration has just begun)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2019, 05:54:07 AM »
Great info Tom! It's been a while since I did mine and I didn't do half of the research you did. Thanks to Ryan, I have mine running.

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2019, 12:58:10 AM »
I'm glad I am able to help!
I have pretty much every part I used for my swap in that spreadsheet.  There's a 'drive train' tab at the bottom of that sheet..click on that...all the engine/trans stuff is in there.  It looks like I did most of that stuff from like March '18 through Fall '18.  If the spreadsheet you have is older than that(or if you're not sure) let me know. I'll send you a new copy. 
IIRC '98 and 99 are exactly the same engine wise.  The computer is a little different(but interchangable), and the '98 Temp sensor wires are different.
I ended up with a bit of a mixed bag with '99 LS1 using a later model PCM.  That's just because the wire harness package I bought came 'all inclusive' and they chose to provide a later model PCM.  Anyway...that's a whole 'nother discussion.  That place sort of left me hanging with a 'tune related' set of 'Too Lean condition' codes. 

Anyway...Let me know if you want another copy of the spreadsheet. (Did I email it the last time?)
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=69897.0

« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2019, 12:58:10 AM »
You can help support TAC!