Author Topic: Install OE looking radio or radio delete cover?  (Read 705 times)

gstrandfarm9420

• Active Forum Member
Install OE looking radio or radio delete cover?
« on: December 20, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »
I recently got  a repro build sheet and window sticker for my 77 SE which shows a radio accomodation pkg as a 23.00 option but no radio. Am told this was so the customer could put their own radio in instead of paying for a poor sounding OE setup.
Just going to throw this out there. What would you forum readers do, install a modern OE unit that fits the dash or put a radio delete cover in and a hidden system along with modern speakers and an amp and perhaps hidden speakers? I would like to keep the costs reasonable, thanks Stran

Johnny ace

• Active Forum Member
Re: Install OE looking radio or radio delete cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 07:13:13 PM »
Had that done when I ordered my 76.The dealer installed an after-market radio.Part of the deal.He said it was better,and cost less,but I needed the radio package to simplify the install.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:28:42 PM »
The decision is simple, install a radio just as it should have, the radio-delete panel for 70-77 dashes is very rare and not reproduced.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:07:33 PM by Aus78Formula »

gstrandfarm9420

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »
Thanks for your input. Also just saw a DIN mount that fits where the map pocket goes. Gotta get the rest of the dash restored first .

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 09:10:21 AM »
I would put in an original radio and get a hidden audio system if you want music. Without knowing your age, back in the day the first thing to do when buying a car was to swap out the radio. The originals were crap.
One of the hardest parts for me to find on my resto was a decent priced original radio. I lucked out and got one from a guy that was an original owner that took the radio out of his car the day he bought it. It is not hooked up though, doesnt really matter as the sound of the car drowns out what would be any music inside anyway. I prefer to listen to the sound of the motor. Then again i am about half deaf and am in the minority of riding a motorcycle without a radio as well!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 09:10:21 AM »

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
I've always kept the original radio and installed a new Bluetooth radio with nice speakers in the glove box. Cheap and functional without having to see a modern system in the dash.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
You can help support TAC!