Author Topic: Looking to pick up a firebird (and or a T/A)  (Read 2885 times)

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
Re: Looking to pick up a firebird (and or a T/A)
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »
71? 79?  why not both - a 79 reworked to look like a 71?

I will be listing my 79 soon, it has a 71 nose and tail, rear window is still 79.  LS3 power, 5 speed, excellent suspension and brakes.

Won't be cheap though, and not much of a project...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat.
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »
^See there you go, good car already done.  Projects suck unless you have the time and money AND enjoy working on them.
Miata placeholder

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
  • new school kid who likes old school stuff
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 01:23:18 PM »
i was talking with a buddy of mine and he said something about inspecting the quarter panels becuase they way theyre attached to the body is weird. saying that inside the quarter, theres like a brace or braces that actually hold the thing up. i had a plan to just get ligitimate trans am flares so that they stay on there. that true?
1980 Firebird Espirit "Project:Crybaby"
1971 Pontiac Lemans - SOLD

"Constantly Fantasizing about anything and everything I cant afford."

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2018, 03:27:48 PM »
I replaced both quarters on my car and I cant say there is anything special or strange about the way they are attached to the car. There are some braces in there but nothing that cant be worked on. Then again I have never worked on any other type of car to know any different. If you get a rust free car to start you dont need to worry about that anyway.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »
Unless he was saying to make sure to check inside for rust, which second gens are notorious for the rear quarters rusting out.

Now the roof is leaded into place where it meets the quarters, which likes to crack out over time.
Miata placeholder

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2018, 11:40:54 AM »
71? 79?  why not both - a 79 reworked to look like a 71?

I will be listing my 79 soon, it has a 71 nose and tail, rear window is still 79.  LS3 power, 5 speed, excellent suspension and brakes.

Won't be cheap though, and not much of a project...

thats actually something ive been wanting to do! i love the way back looks on the later years but my favorite front end has to be the 71-3. got any pictures? and chances are, i wont be able to afford it, but itd be cool to see how the thing mounts up and works with the lines on the 79

Calamity

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2018, 01:09:40 PM »
i was talking with a buddy of mine and he said something about inspecting the quarter panels becuase they way theyre attached to the body is weird. saying that inside the quarter, theres like a brace or braces that actually hold the thing up. i had a plan to just get ligitimate trans am flares so that they stay on there. that true?

One thing to potentially look at is the rear quarter panel on the inside were the rear lights sit. Like the sides of the panel, hard for me to explain. If the guy lets you take the rear tail light off (Mine just had a couple of screws that could be turned by hand) then check there. Mine looked pretty ok other than a few bubbles here and there but I ended up finding some holes behind the lights. Mine is a 79 FYI.

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2018, 07:30:14 PM »

One thing to potentially look at is the rear quarter panel on the inside were the rear lights sit. Like the sides of the panel, hard for me to explain. If the guy lets you take the rear tail light off (Mine just had a couple of screws that could be turned by hand) then check there. Mine looked pretty ok other than a few bubbles here and there but I ended up finding some holes behind the lights. Mine is a 79 FYI.

okay, but just out of curiosity, can the bumper as a whole be removed or is it something that absolutely needs to be cut out to fix?

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2018, 09:02:21 PM »
On the later years it's an urethane? bumper cover that comes off the tail panel.
Miata placeholder

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2018, 09:40:41 PM »
...got any pictures?

a couple, took a bit to get them loaded

Joe

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
Nice!
Joe
76 T/A

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2018, 02:30:04 PM »
...got any pictures?

a couple, took a bit to get them loaded

How’d you get that tail on there??

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »
2 repop quarter panels, repop tail panel, fabbed adapter panels, OEM insert, repop tail lights, bezels, etc.  It was not too difficult.  I only used the last 3rd of the quarters.  Hardest part was that little sponson at the end of the quarter, I had to fab a bit there to match the tail light housing.

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2018, 07:20:54 PM »
2 repop quarter panels, repop tail panel, fabbed adapter panels, OEM insert, repop tail lights, bezels, etc.  It was not too difficult.  I only used the last 3rd of the quarters.  Hardest part was that little sponson at the end of the quarter, I had to fab a bit there to match the tail light housing.

so as far as body work go, the only major thing that you replaced was the quarter panels and a bracket to hold the tail lights?

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2018, 07:49:22 PM »
For the most part yes.  I am a journeyman metalworker though not an amateur.

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2018, 07:49:22 PM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2018, 06:09:03 AM »
Sounds easy, but Scarebird created a work of art.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »
thanks, but most of it was straightforward journeyman stuff.

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:52 PM »
thats what im saying. simple journeyman stuff can be a labyrinth of complications in the eyes of an apprentice or a novice. that thing's gorgeous

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
alright so im down to these two options. lemme know what you think and what you find. im leaning towards the blue one, but they could both have their ups and downs.

fire away

1980 firebird $4900 vortec 5.7
https://imgur.com/gallery/En5UJp9

1980 firebird LT1
https://enid.craigslist.org/cto/d/1980-pontiac-firebird/6654258830.html

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2018, 12:40:26 AM »
Buy a nice fourth gen for the same amount of money and have nothing to do to it aside from small maintenance items, you'll thank me later.

That aside, personally the best car you can buy is one that's not been swapped and f*cked with by every moron with a basic tool box that thinks they know how to work on cars.  Both cars reek of both and honestly look like the sellers' personal Hell they're trying to escape.  Keep looking, find something original and unmolested if you just have to have a second gen and life will be momentously easier for you.  They're still out there, just have to wait for them to come up.
Miata placeholder

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2018, 04:17:11 AM »
If I sound pessimistic it's for a good reason, time and time again young people jump into old money pits because they don't wait for the right one, they don't want to spend the money for the right one, and/or they grossly underestimate the time and money needed to fix one.  I myself included.  I'm not saying not to do it, but what I am saying is to be fully prepared before you do.  Even if you spend $10,000 on one if you don't know what to look for you can still end up with a money pit, and on early years it still pretty much will be.  It all comes down to what you want to do, if you're wanting a project and truly understand what it takes to get it where you want it(there are a lot of project threads here that do a fantastic job of illustrating such, read some of them) then alright but for the love of all that's holy pick a better starting point than the garbage you've been posting so far.  You should be able to find a mostly original 301 or 403 car that's pretty decent and not been too screwed with for what is being asked on those.  Or if if you want something you can jump in and do next to nothing to for the same amount of money then get a fourth gen; personally I would go with my '96 over my '79 every time and not even think twice about it.  Of course fibro ruined doing my '79 and now it ruins driving my '96, but that's another story for another day.
Miata placeholder

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2018, 06:30:08 AM »
I read through this thread and couldn't help but think of myself when I was building my '76 T/A several years ago. I think that the advice that was given above was excellent, and I would just like to add my thoughts. I think that Roadking and others made a good point about resale value, because at the end of the day it's tough to think about what your situation will be 1, 2, or 5 years down the road. When I was building my 76, I figured I would have that car forever but after it was finished I wanted to move on to something else. If it had been a 70-73 car instead, I would have likely gotten substantially more for it. Should have looked around more before pulling the trigger on the 76, however, I do miss that car...

I bought my car impulsively and I underestimated how much work it would really take to complete it. I bought it in 2005 (when I was 17), and didn't have it running on the road until 2011.

My suggestion to you would be to find a car that has a balance of higher resale value, minor project with solid body and good paint, not molested and that will give you room to grow. I would think in the OK/TX area that you would be able to find something that will fit the bill. I would take Box's suggestion and take your time and find the right car.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2018, 07:09:49 AM »
I get how Box is feeling. If anything, its clear where his point is made. However, after doing a substantial amount of reasearch and other window shopping, i have made on just what the heck i actually want to do. i prefer the old body styles because its just a me thing, regardless of what car im buying. It will be a running car because i already learned my lesson the hard way with my 71 Lemans 2 years ago. bought it as a project and was waaay in over my head because i didnt have the resources or know how to do anything. AND it didnt run  :lol:

for the car itself, im planning on using it as a learning opportunity and have full intentions on driving the absolute mess out of it. if something breaks, by all means ill try my best to fix it. chances are ill come here with questions on how to go about it too.

regarding what box said about buying a newer car, yes it will be easier, and yes it will probably be a million miles more efficient, and probably outlast a lot of other projects that me and my group of friends will ever come across, but im just in it for the ghits and shiggles. I actually have found several unmolested 301 cars but theyre a reasonably large distance away and as of a week ago, my only means of towing anything went down. (FRIGGIN BALL JOINTS I SWEAR)

but i will take the advice and keep looking. you guys are right with finding as much of an unmolested car as possible, but i cant guarantee itll come out the same if it ever leaves my posesssion ;D

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2018, 08:06:00 PM »
Trust me I understand, I love the '79-81 A LOT and would love to have another some day.  Given my circumstances it was the best thing I could do, and I love the '93-97 just as much if not a bit more in ways.  Since that's what you want just please hold out for a good 301 or 403 car, so then you're just rejuvenating and modifying not restoring.  As far as I'm aware the only Chevrolet powered second gens were 305 4-speed cars, which would be a great starting point if you stayed in the SBC family as a 350/383/400 would be a direct fit for the 305.  If you're wanting to go 400/455 Pontiac then a 301 car would be ideal, the only 400 cars were 4-speed in '79.  Also a hardtop car is worth less to most when it comes to second gens, don't pay T-top car prices on a hardtop.  A Formula or Trans Am would be ideal since you'd get the LSD, but it'll probably still be a dog highway ratio.  If you're wanting to change all that out anyway then an Esprit could be a good starting point, make it how you want it though if you want a full trim Trans Am then it'd probably just be best to start there since the money saved in getting an Esprit or Formula would quickly be overturned in turning it into a Trans Am unless you just found a steal and even then...  Also, it's worth traveling for the right car, just make sure titling legalities are in sorts between states on something so old.  If it has a title then no problem, but if not some states are real picky about it and others aren't once they're a certain age.
Miata placeholder

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2018, 07:16:52 PM »
Trust me I understand, I love the '79-81 A LOT and would love to have another some day.  Given my circumstances it was the best thing I could do, and I love the '93-97 just as much if not a bit more in ways.  Since that's what you want just please hold out for a good 301 or 403 car, so then you're just rejuvenating and modifying not restoring.  As far as I'm aware the only Chevrolet powered second gens were 305 4-speed cars, which would be a great starting point if you stayed in the SBC family as a 350/383/400 would be a direct fit for the 305.  If you're wanting to go 400/455 Pontiac then a 301 car would be ideal, the only 400 cars were 4-speed in '79.  Also a hardtop car is worth less to most when it comes to second gens, don't pay T-top car prices on a hardtop.  A Formula or Trans Am would be ideal since you'd get the LSD, but it'll probably still be a dog highway ratio.  If you're wanting to change all that out anyway then an Esprit could be a good starting point, make it how you want it though if you want a full trim Trans Am then it'd probably just be best to start there since the money saved in getting an Esprit or Formula would quickly be overturned in turning it into a Trans Am unless you just found a steal and even then...  Also, it's worth traveling for the right car, just make sure titling legalities are in sorts between states on something so old.  If it has a title then no problem, but if not some states are real picky about it and others aren't once they're a certain age.

you make a good point in legality, but with in mind, how does the insurance work on classic cars? i was told it would be some thing cheap, but that only would apply to "collector/antique" cars. would the same be applied for something that im going strictly performance for?

also, im kind of wanting to go for a hardtop because of the initial chassis rigity that a whole roof gives vs the slim piece of steel that the t-tops provide. unless that issue could be solved with something like a rollcage, i might be inclined to pick one up then.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2018, 11:24:24 PM »
You can insure it like you would any other car, just run basic coverage on it and you're good to go.  Only certain grade cars can be put onto collector insurance, and then you have so many stipulations on how you can use it.  Same goes with tagging it as vintage/antique tags can be gotten but again you're limited to how you can use the car, but then a standard tag won't cost that much more and you can use the car how you want.  So tag and insure it like you would some 00's Camry and call it real.

Also yes the hardtop does offer a little bit more in terms of rigidity.  Sub-frame connectors and a half-cage probably makes it a moot difference, but I still rather have the hardtop for looks and not having to deal with leaks and rattles.  Plus in most racing you'll have to remove the T-tops since they're glass and a hazard during a crash.
Miata placeholder

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2018, 05:45:14 AM »
When I was under 25 when I first was seeking insurance on my 1976, I had a tough time as most wouldn't touch me. The only company that I could find was Condon and Skelly. I was able to get a $25k agreed value policy for something like $175 a year. They are very unrestrictive on mileage and very easy to deal with. I just purchased the insurance for my 1968 Camaro a few months ago with the same company. Very similar rates and just got a $20k agreed value policy for $189, while it is under restoration. I would highly suggest getting an agreed value policy on older cars as standard insurance will typically not pay what it's really worth.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:47:01 AM by ryeguy2006a »

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »
Insurance is a good thing to think about before buying a car. I would think in your case it would depend on the condition of the car. If its a restored/show worthy original t/a then I would def go with a collector type policy with agreed value. If its going to be for the lack of better wording a beater, that youre going to work on and use as a daily driver, then talk to an agent about an everyday policy.  I have grundy on my car. Agreed value and less than $200. a year. Car needs to be very near stock though, and with my policy there are very little restrictions. No mileage restrictions and I can drive it whenever I want. I have antique plates from the dmv and there are driving restrictions there but they are not enforced thankfully. The state registration is cheaper with antique plates as well as no inspections needed.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2018, 01:12:50 AM »
it wouldnt necessarily end up being a daily driver, but as far as the insurance company will know, it will be "stock". Im 22 and completely open to options as far as who lets me do the most stuff without charging me an arm and a leg. does having antique plates help as far as how much i can expect to be paying?

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2018, 04:52:06 AM »
does having antique plates help as far as how much i can expect to be paying?

It does North of the boarder, because you won't be on the road as often with an "antique" vehicle which mean less opportunity to get in an accident
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

Scooby doo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
it wouldnt necessarily end up being a daily driver, but as far as the insurance company will know, it will be "stock". Im 22 and completely open to options as far as who lets me do the most stuff without charging me an arm and a leg. does having antique plates help as far as how much i can expect to be paying?

Agreed value insurance from a specialty company might be a better option for you. 
Misrepresenting your car to the ins co will only create problems if you need them. 
-Jeff
1978 Blue Blackish Firebird Skybird T/Aish http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4021169
1992 Red Trans Am Convertible -Sold http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2913386/1
1999 Black Trans Am Ram Air WS6 -Sold http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3067706
2002 Black Monte Carlo SS http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3385801
2002 Ford F-250 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4085603/2002-ford-f250-super-duty-crew-cab/

T/A Addict

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2018, 12:04:28 PM »
I agree with Jeff and others that collectors ins. is the way to go if it is not a daily driver. From what I've experienced the mainstream insurance companies just have no clue or most likely don't care much to insure us old car gars.
Jeff
2016 Victory Cross Country
TATA '72 455 HO Auto
79 T/A 403 Solar Gold
69 F'Bird P-Touring T/A tribute to be
2010 Challenger R/T  PCP

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »
so who does the appraisal for the car as far as determining the insurance policy for the car?

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2018, 07:25:33 AM »
From my experience, and this is with Grundy. My car is built to near as showroom condition as possible. Biggest modification is with the motor. It is the original motor, 400, but slightly warmed over. Not a race car by any means. This was fine by the insurance co. With my policy they will not insure a race car or something highly modified, no blowers sticking out of the hood, etc. I sent them a series of pictures with different views of the car and told them a value I wanted to insure it for. They agreed from looking at my pics and sent me a quote. They know more about antique car values than you or I and as long as the value you state is within reason I dont think there is a problem.
As far as registration, in Maryland an antique tag cost about $25 per year as opposed to several hundred dollars for a newer car. Also, there is no tag inspection, and no emission inspection. Its pretty much a win win. Only downside is that you are only supposed to use the car sparingly to shows, once in a while weekends. No one adheres to this policy though.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

skizzlefish

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2018, 04:37:13 PM »
From my experience, and this is with Grundy. My car is built to near as showroom condition as possible. Biggest modification is with the motor. It is the original motor, 400, but slightly warmed over. Not a race car by any means. This was fine by the insurance co. With my policy they will not insure a race car or something highly modified, no blowers sticking out of the hood, etc. I sent them a series of pictures with different views of the car and told them a value I wanted to insure it for. They agreed from looking at my pics and sent me a quote. They know more about antique car values than you or I and as long as the value you state is within reason I dont think there is a problem.
As far as registration, in Maryland an antique tag cost about $25 per year as opposed to several hundred dollars for a newer car. Also, there is no tag inspection, and no emission inspection. Its pretty much a win win. Only downside is that you are only supposed to use the car sparingly to shows, once in a while weekends. No one adheres to this policy though.

am going to have to provide an annual update as far as whats been done to the car? or will they just take my word for it as soon as i buy the car, thats how its going to look like for the rest of its existence in my possession?

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2018, 04:37:13 PM »
You can help support TAC!