Author Topic: Back in a Pontiac again.....sort of.  (Read 91 times)

Hutchman

• Active Forum Member
Back in a Pontiac again.....sort of.
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:25:46 PM »
I haven't had a Pontiac branded car since the late 80s.  I got the bug for a mid 60s Pontiac a couple of months ago, and found a dang nice 64 Catalina....but found out my wife has no love for the older cars.  She asked if we could get something newer, but I did not want to spend the money for a 5th or 6th Gen Camaro.  I asked her if she would be happy with a 4th Gen Fbody like we used to have and she said yes.....so the search was on.

That night I was searching the adds on LS1 Tech and ran across this car:

The car was an 01 Formula Firehawk.....1 of 3, 6 speed, Pewter, Hardtop Firehawks built that year.  Interestingly it is a very low option, traction control only, Formula with the base Firehawk package.  Probably not many like it.

Since it did have some mods and only 20,807 miles, I was very interested.  We ended up making a deal on the car, so I was off to Borger, TX on a 1400 mile one way trip to pick it up.

On the trailer and ready to head back to WA:

See, it really is a Pontiac, LOL!:

The car has a cam, headers, and several other mods that probably kill any collector type of value that it might have in the future, but I like it just the way it is. It has a rather rowdy cam......

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y3thJfPcW4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y3thJfPcW4</a>

All in all, I really like this car.  It takes me back to to a time gone by....to some of the adventures of a misspent youth.  A time when if you got caught street racing, the State Cop who caught you called a wrecker truck when you needed one rather than arresting you.....but that is another story!

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
Re: Back in a Pontiac again.....sort of.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:37:41 AM »
Nice find.  Hardtop 6-speed Formulas are the best, of course I could be biased. :P

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

Hutchman

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:59 AM »
Nice find.  Hardtop 6-speed Formulas are the best, of course I could be biased. :P

My fist 4th Gen was a T top car...a 2000 Z28.  My other 2 have been hardtops.  They don't seem to squeek and rattle like the other car did.  The new one hs sub frame connecters so it should be even stiffer.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 02:51:37 PM »
Nice car, I just read yesterday that Hagerty has made a list of the top future collectible cars based on their underwriting, and the firehawk is one of them. You may be ahead of the curve. LOL
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 02:59:01 PM »
Congrats, nice find and must be a blast to drive.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 02:59:01 PM »