Author Topic: Are these carpets the same (literally)?  (Read 1328 times)

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
Are these carpets the same (literally)?
« on: November 26, 2017, 02:14:13 PM »
I want to take advantage of some online deals tomorrow and am looking for a high quality carpet.

Are these the same carpet?

http://classicta.com/FLOOR-CARPET-FIREBIRD-CAMARO-70-81_p_7090.html

http://www.firebirdcentral.com/1975_1981_Firebird_Floor_Carpet_ACC_Mass_Back_p/int-1152.htm

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Are these carpets the same (literally)?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
You'd assume both were ACC if claim to be US made and also best in market. But shame they don't say as much.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
I want to take advantage of some online deals tomorrow and am looking for a high quality carpet.

Are these the same carpet?

http://classicta.com/FLOOR-CARPET-FIREBIRD-CAMARO-70-81_p_7090.html

http://www.firebirdcentral.com/1975_1981_Firebird_Floor_Carpet_ACC_Mass_Back_p/int-1152.htm

I don't think they're the same. The ACC carpet from Firebird Central has the "mass backing". That's a premium option, as they wrote in the description, so it costs more.

The cheaper carpet from Classic TA doesn't say anything about "mass backing", so I have to assume that it's a regular carpet that comes with jute backing, which costs less. The regular ACC carpet comes with jute backing, and mass backing is the more cost option. So, it could be regular ACC carpet, or since they don't say, it could be another brand. For example, Trim Parts also makes and sells auto carpets. So, dealers who sell Trim Parts can also sell their carpet.

By the way, carpet with jute backing is perfectly fine to use. I'd probably prefer it, since it won't be as stiff as the mass backing. The mass backing adds insulation, but I can install my own floor insulation, so don't read need that feature.

You can read about ACC carpet on their website here. You can buy it there, but you can find a better price by shopping the resto parts dealers that are ACC dealers:   https://www.stockinteriors.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyoHOntDd1wIVA7bACh2jXwwAEAAYASAAEgIkffD_BwE
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 07:59:57 PM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »
You know at first I thought the same with the lack of details in Classic TA but notice the majority of they're items online have a rather weak description, so I don't if these 2 carpets are the same or not   

You made a great point about the flexibility of the Mass backing carpet, I also upgrade the sound and vibration deadener theoughout so like you the Mass isn't necessary.

So is the ACC carpet the only high grade quality carpet out there?

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:32:59 PM »
ACC and Trim Parts are the only 2 I know. I've used quite a few ACC carpets, and only 1 from Trim Parts. I like the ACC a little better, so next time I buy another carpet, I'll get another ACC.
Steve F.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:32:59 PM »

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:23:46 AM »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:37:15 AM »
The top link is the plush carpet, so I guess it's thicker and taller cut pile. Notice in the drop-down menu that they do not list Camel Tan. So, that kind of carpet isn't made in the correct Camel Tan color.

The middle link is the carpet with the mass backing, which you said you weren't interested in. It does have a Camel Tan color choice.

The bottom link looks like the one you want. It's got the regular jute backing and comes in Camel Tan.
Steve F.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »
I used ACC carpet with the reg. jute backing. It matched the original perfect for my eyes. Fit was great also.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 07:50:43 AM »
Well there's a first I get to spend less on something I want.

Thank you very much for clarifying all this.

Fbodywarehouse

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Fbodywarehouse
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 09:12:15 PM »
Trim Parts sold the carpet division off to ACC there is ACC mass backing and partial backing we use the pasrtial backing and not the mass backing I like to be able to mold it into shape see our install videos for the ACC partial jute back style
Fbodywarehouse1 on You Tube we have 2 videos showing it.

glenn911

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 07:09:43 AM »
I too need to order a carpet set.  But I have a '74 so it would be the loop style.  Firebird central doesn't say if the non mass backing set is made by ACC, anyone know?
'79 400 4 spd esprit
'78 455 WS6 auto
'74 461 4 spd T/A

glenn911

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 07:14:57 AM »
Ah, I see Fbody warehouse does list theirs as ACC carpet!  It is a little more$ maybe thats why!  I gotta order this today so I can hopefully have it to install next week.  I am off work for that week and would like to do my carpet, headliner, and console then.
'79 400 4 spd esprit
'78 455 WS6 auto
'74 461 4 spd T/A

Tony2424

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »
I'm using the firebird central carpet fits great!!

Fbodywarehouse

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Fbodywarehouse
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 02:01:05 PM »
Guys ACC is the ONLY carpet producer now.......

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 07:21:49 AM »
Finally had a chance to head down to the cross border shipping warehouse and pick up all my orders including the ACC carpet from Firebird Central. Not ready to install it just yet but I spread it out to let the creases relax and something just didn't look right. Then it hit me in the middle of my sleep last night there was no cut out for the automatic shifter (which is what I ordered).

The carpet and box are at another location so I cannot confirm the part number and I have yet to call the retailer but suspect they will only offer to send the correct carpet to the original shipping address and I would have to return this carpet.  The logistics to do this is very time consuming and would obviously come at a further expense to me so my question is can a carpet designed for manual shift be cut out successfully to properly fit an auto shifter floor tunnel?     

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 07:21:49 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 07:47:10 AM »
If you're using a full console I would think what you have will work. The cut out on the carpet I bought was minimal at best and I had to trim it to final fit anyway. I think regardless of auto or manual the cutout is in the same basic location. You have plenty of room for error front to back but need to be careful on the sides as the console is pretty narrow. I own a carpet knife which has a very thin, very sharp edge so it was not a problem, but a single edge razor blade will do the job. Pick up a 50 pack and don't be shy about throwing them away after a couple of cuts. Use these instead of the standard utility blade, they are much sharper.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 07:51:57 AM »
so my question is can a carpet designed for manual shift be cut out successfully to properly fit an auto shifter floor tunnel?   

The fact that it isn't cut doesn't necessarily indicate that it's for a manual shift. The question is whether it has the stamped-in hump for the 4 spd shifter porch molded into the carpet. If it does, then it won't work for the auto.

But if it doesn't have the 4 spd hump made into it and is just smooth to conform to the tunnel, my opinion is that it would be fine and you just have to carefully cut it. If your shifter is out right now, that would make it easier to lay the carpet in and position and cut the hole aligning it with the hole in the tunnel. If not, then it's a little more trouble to do, since it's best to remove the shifter to do this. Start with a small hole and make larger as you check the positioning of your cut. There's a little margin for error since the console covers a larger area.
Steve F.

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 08:18:50 AM »
I don’t have the carpet with me but I recall questioning what seemed like a buldge but passed it off because there were many hard creases and deformity from being boxed for so long.

jk79ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
I got my ACC carpet from Legendary. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't cut for automatics, the stuff isn't that cheap! Not a real big deal to cut it, just need to be careful. I'm sure the last set I bought was already cut, that too was ACC.

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »
jk, did you ever check the part number on the box to confirm if it was correct for an automatic?

jk79ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 05:28:16 AM »
I can't remember, it was last summer. All that information was given to them though so I assume that it was. I'll see if i still have the box, I tend to save things for a while.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 06:47:07 AM »
I'm glad they don't cut them, how many would not fit or be cut too far, already on the limit for getting the sides under the sill plates because they cut them too close.

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 07:23:09 AM »
I went on ACC's website and the pic for automatic carpet shows the shifter cut-out.  Will have to verify the part number on the box this carpet was packaged in to determine whether the wrong carpet with right label or they just selected the wrong carpet when picking the order.

jk79ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 04:52:04 PM »
Yeah I don't know what the deal is, I couldn't find the box. There was plenty of carpet, I had to trim quite a bit on the sides actually, which surprised me. I've probably replaced the carpet 4 or 5 times and I don't think it has been the same twice as far as installation goes. I think it is very good quality, except I couldn't get it to lay flat even after laying in the sun last summer, just wish the console was cut out.

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »
Jk, so would uou suggest I am better off trying to get this one exchanged for one that is cut-out in lieu of having to cutting it myself? 

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 06:22:23 PM »
You can request to have none cut out, likewise shops that use stock photos possibly also do. You can also request to have a second floor mat pressed on but it's almost the cost of the carpet again.

jk79ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 05:35:19 AM »
If you are comfortable doing the cutting, I would just do it myself. I'm not real handy with that kind of stuff, but I'm cheap! So i learned. It's not real hard to do, you just need to be real careful and make sure you are cutting where you should be. I'm pretty sure there is a video on fbody warehouse but it may already have the hole cut. You could also check out youtube, that place is pretty handy. Bottom line is it's something you have to decide if you feel comfortable with, it's not rocket science but it is over $100 down the tubes if it get's screwed up.

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 07:08:13 AM »
Thank you for the feedback.
Gonna confirm the part number on the box this weekend and follow up with Firebird Central to see how they propose to have this corrected. If they ship out the right carpet to me in Canada and pay for return shipping then all is good. However if they only offer to ship it out to the cross-border warehouse and I have to pay for return then I'm pulling out the box cutting blades because that's a 4 hour round trip and half day of missed work.

jk79ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »
Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »
You can help support TAC!