Author Topic: 1979 TA restore almost done  (Read 5966 times)

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
Re: 1979 TA restore almost done
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »
It's been a while since I updated my progress been working a lot so not much car time. I did get my decals in and since this isn't a numbers matching car I ordered the decal kit for the 81 in the one year only gold. The only issue I seen real quick was the rear spoiler Trans Am decal is the same size as the fenders I found a place local that said they could make me a full size decal but they have yet to do so. But I did get my 17'' Yearone wheels in and mounted tires 255-50-17 Nitto 555 G2. The traction and ride is night and day difference so much better plus I love the look even more now. One thing I have noticed I'm not liking to much is the shocks I went with I put on KYB none adjustable shocks and I do not like them I'm going to order up some adjustable shocks and give them a try next.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 10:35:35 PM »
Looks great!
Steve F.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 07:31:09 AM »
Wow, that looks great and what a transformation!

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

1975 ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 08:44:38 PM »
Looks great!

Old Chicken

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 09:23:40 PM »
Those new Wheels really Set It Off. Nice work!

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 09:23:40 PM »

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
Thanks I can't wait until I get the decals on and really put some miles on as soon as it warms up.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2018, 11:59:23 PM »
I was a little concerned going into this since I have never myself attempted to put on one of these birds but after a lesson from youtube I felt like an expert. So me and my eleven year old son went to work and installed this sweet gold bird! The only decal left to do is the rear spooler that will be left for another day these are the best pics I can get it supposed to rain tomorrow so maybe Sunday I get snap a better pic.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2018, 08:13:12 AM »
Wow!  No problems with the bird then?
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »
I laid the bird out marked where it needed to go peeled the back off spayed it down with soapy water. Then me and my son laid it on the car squeegeed out water working from the front to the back it actually went on to easy.

T/A81blue

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2018, 03:17:06 PM »
looks really nice....i love the color

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 11:36:06 PM »
Thanks for the compliments! We finally got a break from the rain here in East Texas yesterday so I was able to get the car out and go for a real drive with the new wheels and tires. This was the first time I had ever got it out on the hwy plus this was the longest drive I had ever taken in the car and what an amazing drive. The car handles perfect drives straight as an arrow on the hwy, the Nitto 555 G2's are amazingly quite plus when they get warmed up they grip the pavement very well. I did a couple of 1st gear blast with very little wheel spin that was a first ever, it was late in the day so I didn't get a pic of the car. Well actually I did but the lighting was horrible so I erased it and kept on driving. If I had one complaint it would be I got to have some overdrive in the trans the 3 speed just ain't doing it for me a Gear Vendors overdrive maybe in the near future if I decide to keep the car. Maybe this weekend I can take it out for another spin and get some good pics!

DD78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2018, 06:29:58 AM »
Great post and great work. We all enjoy and learn from the pictures - thanks. I'll bet your son had a good experience seeing it all be transformed too.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2018, 07:56:13 AM »
Glad you were able to get it out on the road. Sounds like fun.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2018, 08:34:59 AM »
What everyone else said + love the color.

Regards, Jack

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2018, 04:50:55 PM »
Thanks! The first thing my son said after we got the bird on the hood was "wow I thought that would be a lot harder" and quietly to myself I said the same thing. Other than the decal on the spoiler and I guess a radio how ever other than the empty hole I don't care if it has one or not. But I probably  need to install one besides that the car is done and those two items are definitely not keeping it from going anywhere. Now time to start back on the Y88 it just needs paint and assembly I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,
Randall

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2018, 04:50:55 PM »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2018, 05:10:27 PM »
I have an Audiovox radio that fits perfectly.  These are lightweight clones of the Delco unit; it takes a sharp eye to note the difference.  This uses 4 ohm speakers.  Sound is ok as it is a 1978 vintage unit.  If interested email me at: m at scarebird dot com

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »
Thanks Scarebird I appreciate the offer but I actually have an original unit with a working 8 track that is in excellent condition if I decide to go that route not sure what I will do yet.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2018, 08:23:16 AM »
I would do that, put in reconed speakers and enjoy.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2018, 10:17:12 PM »
Today was an awesome day so I got the car cleaning goods out and went to work on my cars and since I had them both clean up might as well get some pics. Then since me and my wife had to drive them out to get pics we might as well race these two machines I kind of all ready knew the out come. From a dead stop the T/A jumped out on the Cobra a car and half then pulled another 2 car links on the Cobra but now I now the T/A is way faster than the Cobra. I can't wait to get my Y88 painted and added to the mix they will look great together!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2018, 03:36:13 PM »
Glad the Pontiac won! Cars look good together.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »
Does the TA look smaller or is it the angle of the pic?

Regards, Jack

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
The TA does look smaller in the picture I thought the same thing looking at the pics, but it is definitely the picture angle. I am hoping by the end of the summer I will have some pictures with my Y88 with them all together.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2018, 05:43:16 AM »
Wow, that is a great pair of cars! Great pictures. Any specs on the Cobra?

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

Calamity

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
Here I am mad because of how small my garage is and you did all this amazing work outside! Did they paint your car outside also or did someone come and get it?

Looks awesome!

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2018, 12:41:17 AM »
The Fox body is an all original 93 Cobra with 55K miles a side from the short throw shifter I insalled in it I hate a factory shifter. The car is just as it was in 1993 plus I have all the original paper work. The original owner purchased it for his everyday work car, but took care to preserve everything for the car, I have owned the car for almost 8yrs now.

Here I am mad because of how small my garage is and you did all this amazing work outside! Did they paint your car outside also or did someone come and get it?

Looks awesome!

The T/A was painted out side I went to Harbor Frieght and bought some tarps, then built me a paint booth out of the carport. I sealed it all up put in 2 fans, wet the entire floor down and we painted it right there. We laid down a silver base, then shot the blue and about 5 coats of clear. Now it did indeed end up with some trash in the clear a bug got in the hood and driver door. But luckily every bit of it wet sanded and buffed out. Now don't get me wrong it was a bit of a PITA I had to time my job around the ever changing weather before we could paint it this took a few weeks to get right.
I did this to prove a point to myself that I could do it all at my house and build a good quality car at the same time it's no show car but it is a super clean driver to have fun with. I now have my 86 mustang GT in its place and I will start the rebuild process on it not hard to tell I like Fox bodies also. Hell really I love all cars if I could hide them from my wife I would buy more!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2018, 06:43:46 AM »
I have probably said it before, but will say it again. You are to be commended on the work you did. Turned out fantastic. I too, kinda had the same attitude when I did my car. I wanted a challenge that was a change of pace from building furniture, and the deeper I dug into it, (and got discouraged) had to prove to myself and to the outsiders that said it will never amount to anything, that it would be a finished car someday.
I read an article in hemmings i think, there was a guy with a very nice T/A that won best owner restored car at a show. The article went on to say that the owner basically put the carpet and seats in the car. He had a shop do the body work and paint, someone built the motor, he sent the dash to just dashes, etc. etc. There is nothing wrong with doing a car this way, but IMO, the owner did not do the restore.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
I have probably said it before, but will say it again. You are to be commended on the work you did. Turned out fantastic. I too, kinda had the same attitude when I did my car. I wanted a challenge that was a change of pace from building furniture, and the deeper I dug into it, (and got discouraged) had to prove to myself and to the outsiders that said it will never amount to anything, that it would be a finished car someday.
I read an article in hemmings i think, there was a guy with a very nice T/A that won best owner restored car at a show. The article went on to say that the owner basically put the carpet and seats in the car. He had a shop do the body work and paint, someone built the motor, he sent the dash to just dashes, etc. etc. There is nothing wrong with doing a car this way, but IMO, the owner did not do the restore.

Thanks I do appreciate the kind words! I originally restored this car to flip it then do another and so one to prove it could be done, but along the way I got attached to the car. Now saying this once I get my Y88 done I may sell the 79 maybe?? I want to build me a bigger shop just park cars in that's the goal anyway my wife feels differentlly about that.
IMO that guy did not restore his car either he paid someone to do the work and that's fine just don't claim to have restored it yourself. I myself could not afford to pay some to restore a car I just don't have the funds for that. Plus I am way to picky and want things to be done a certain way and that way is my way!

Calamity

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »
The T/A was painted out side I went to Harbor Frieght and bought some tarps, then built me a paint booth out of the carport. I sealed it all up put in 2 fans, wet the entire floor down and we painted it right there. We laid down a silver base, then shot the blue and about 5 coats of clear. Now it did indeed end up with some trash in the clear a bug got in the hood and driver door. But luckily every bit of it wet sanded and buffed out. Now don't get me wrong it was a bit of a PITA I had to time my job around the ever changing weather before we could paint it this took a few weeks to get right.
I did this to prove a point to myself that I could do it all at my house and build a good quality car at the same time it's no show car but it is a super clean driver to have fun with. I now have my 86 mustang GT in its place and I will start the rebuild process on it not hard to tell I like Fox bodies also. Hell really I love all cars if I could hide them from my wife I would buy more!

Awesome idea and definitely commendable. The car looks awesome.

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2018, 11:36:34 PM »
What a great job and what a great looking car! Exceptional work!
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »
I hadn't done much of anything to the TA as it is pretty much a finished project still needs the radio installed. Last night was the first time I took the car out on a good long drive in the summer heat with the new AC and it worked perfect cools the interior down very well. The only problem I think is the old radiator I reused it looked good and I cleaned it before reinstalling it but the engine temp with the AC on in stop and go traffic slowly creeps up and eventually uncontrollable. So I need to research and find a really good radiator for the car. Anyone know of a good replacement? It has a 3 core copper radiator now and may even be the original to the car.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2019, 11:26:00 PM »
Well since my last post on my car I have just been enjoying it but as we all know they are almost never done. Now that I have been cruising around town there are things that I would definitely do different if I had the chance again, one being a transmission with OD. I have debating on exactly how I would go about doing an OD trans, I considered a 4L80E but I would of had to buy a trans, converter and controller. But since how I already have a rebuilt TH350 in my car I decided on a Gear Vendors OD it made the most since. There is a cruise coming up that I want to drive my car in my car has 3.42 gears I don't mind driving my car at 60mph but I don't like driving it any faster over an extended amount of time so I finally pulled the trigger on the OD. 

Here is what I started with

I bought the unit with the shortend adapter which requiered cutting 2.5" off the output shaft of the TH350 this option was supposed to limit to floor board modifications. But with this being said the floor board modifications was still a PITA! The line on the output shaft is where i made the cut.

With the adapter was installed the real work started I must had installed the OD unit a million times fitting and cutting the floor board until it fit perfect.

It took me 2 days for me to reach this point it seemed like for ever I just kept cutting and fitting but finnaly it was in!

When I rebuilt the transmission the guy that helped me talked me out of buying a shift kit he said he could put in a shift kit without buying a kit. He was not wrong it did shift good and solid but more like a heavy duty kit. So since i was going to be under it and I picked up a kit when Advanced Auto for $20 and I wanted to change the trans pan also as the one I had was dented up to much.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »
Well I finally got the OD install done and gave it a pretty good road test I even jumped on the interstate for the first time ever! Let me say hands down down this is the best mod to date for the car I love it! I can manually operate it or just turn it on and at 44mph it will switch into OD. The install was a little more involving than I anticipated, I bought the super short adapter so I had to cut 2.5'' off the output shaft of the TH350 no big deal other than I don't have a lift and laying on my back using a cut off wheel wasn't a walk in the park. This was supposed to make the install easier I really don't think it did much of anything on saving time or work.
Then there was the floor modifications I must had lifted the OD unit into position a million times it seemed like marking and cutting that floor brace. There was a couple times I thought I could just hammer it out of the way and that was a no go! That floor brace was tough and double wall in some spots. When I do this again I will just save the time and hassle and cut that whole brace out of the way.
The B&M shift kit I installed I set up for street and strip   

The mark on the shaft is where I made the cut i actually made a better mark than this when I cut it just didn't get a pic

The exhaust fit with out no hassle but it was to close to the OD unit for my liking, so I added 6" to bring my H-pipe further back. Then i bought a ball & socket set so I can from now I can unbolt the exhaust instead of cutting and welding it back together. I then soda blasted the H-pipe and painted it with hi temp paint.

Bolted the exhaust into place and fit like a glove.

The wiring was a pretty simple set up I marked their location the hardest part was figuring out how i going to do it and not make it permanent. 

The kit came with everything you needed but I used water proff wire connectors instead the ones they sent. There is a floor switch, on/off switch and speed sensor that had to wired up then a set of wires that ran straight to the OD unit. 12 volt power, ground and a set of wires going to the red and green LED lights to know when its on or off.

On fathers day I got a $50 off and I had $20 on my rewards so I bought a new radiator which turned out to be bigger than the one I had. My son was helping thru out the whole install I told him lets pull the old radiator and throw the new one in this should take no more than 30 minutes. Famous last words there was a pointed body bolt that we didn't see and punched a pin sized hole right in the bottom. had to pull it back out and weld the hole up ended up taken an hour and half! Hey but at least I got a new radiator now!

When we build our cars there is this vision that we strive to achieve, then when we are done there is always things we say hey I would had done this or this different. This OD made it on my list I had the vision and I got everything I wanted. It wasn't long after I finished the car I was looking for another gear the 3 speed wasn't getting it done for me. This whole install took me and my son working on it every day a total of 4 days to comeplete as of right now we have put about a 100 miles on the car and it has chaned the whole driving expirence. I just turn it on and drive the TH350 will bang thru its 3 gears and at 44 mph the OD will come on feels like any other 4 speed automatic transmission. So far I like it so much that I plan to now use the TH350 I have built for my 78 TA and a Gear Vendors on it now. I had planned on building a 4L80E but since I built the TH350 I will just use it and save a little money.

The shift kit I had originally in this car I didn't really like it would bark the 1-2 shift only when getting down on it that was ok with me but normal driving it would roll into gear. Like an old work truck I just never cared for it so when I got the B&M shift kit I knew this would fix it and boy did it. I set it up on the street and strip first time I drove the car it barked tires every gear change even at part throttle. Then if you hammered on it then it would lay some serious rubber on the 1-2 and even barked on 2-3 shifted way to hard now so yesterday I backed the modulator screw all the way out. I believe I can live with the way it is now I just need to put some miles on the car. This weekend is a 100 mile car cruise that plan to take it on as long as the rain holds out.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2019, 06:52:09 AM »
Good Deal! Was the brace under the floor pan the only mod? Or did you have to cut the floor too? Im not thrilled with the 3 speed either, never thought there was another option besides a new tranny. Also, what did you do about the drive shaft?
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »
Roadking the only floor mod was the cross brace and I made it harder than it should had been. I marked what only needed to be cut trying leave as much of it as possible in the end I should had just cut the entire brace out of the trans tunnel. I could of had that brace out in about an hour instead I marked and hacked on it for about 4hrs live and learn.
I totally for got about the driveshaft and I didn’t get a single pic of it I basically had to shorten it 14” the new driveshaft length was 37-1/8. I bought new U-joints then took my new yoke, measurement and driveshaft to a local shop they installed the U-joints shortened and balanced it for $177 it was done in about 3hrs. All said and done to have the OD unit up and running I had $2914 invested in it I know it’s a lot for one gear but I looked at all options. 700r4 I just didn’t want to do so it would have to be 4L65e or 4L80e and both of these options would had been more than the Gear Vendor plus with those I have to modify the shifter and change to electronic speedo.
It came a pretty good storm last night I so wanted to go for a spin in the car but I absolutely do not drive it in the rain. Maybe tonight will be better I can’t wait to drive the car now.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2019, 08:54:39 AM »
Thanks. Yea, I looked up those units on their web. Def not cheap but if it makes the car that much more enjoyable then heck yeah! I dont drive mine that much to justify the expense at this point. Plus I can use that money towards the TATA resto. But I will keep this in mind for the future.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2019, 09:10:42 AM »
Great write up.  Always wondered about thos overdrive units. In was thinking about one but then went with a LS/4L60E swap. Great looking car!
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2019, 09:55:50 AM »
Thanks FormTA I didn’t really drive the car a whole lot and when I do I take the same ole path around town so that I never went over 55mph to keep the rpm’s down. Now I see myself taken further road trips with out worry. On the interstate I was running 70mph and doing 2300rpm

Cdub

• Active Forum Member
  • 79 TA SE with Olds 455
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
Thanks for the great pics and info. Like you, I just came back to the forum after (almost) completing a 79 TA resto. Mine's an SE and took me 6.5 years. This was the first resto I've ever attempted. I was getting ready to post some pics/work description when I saw yours. Great job.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2019, 09:33:22 PM »
Well I have over 300 miles on the OD unit now so far it has worked flawless I just turn it on and it bangs thru all 4 gears like any other 4 speed trans. I drove it in the car cruise we made a 100 mile round trip stopped in 4 different towns it was awesome I would not had attempted this without the OD unit. I now find myself just looking for a reason to take the TA out on a drive and I drive further than I ever have considered.
The one thing I was worried about was I had read that the Gear Vendor unit was harsh when it engaged or disengaged, it honestly doesn't shift any harder than the TH350. But if rpm's are pretty high are disengage the OD yes it is harsh but it is to be expected when disengaging it is instant so no different than gearing down. As for gear splitting that on the other hand is not instant when splitting 1st there is about a 2 second delay because the OD works off hydraulic pressure. The more rpm the faster it works, splitting 2nd gear there is maybe a second delay noticeable but nothing like 1st gear. Splitting 3rd is almost instant and shifts no different than how the 2-3 shift is I couldn't be anymore happier with it's performance!

Driving in the cruise was great it rained so the car turn out was great but there was 30 cars all driving in a line down the hwy (never thought I would drive my car in the rain though)

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2019, 09:33:22 PM »
You can help support TAC!