Author Topic: Just Installed a Digital HP from Pertronix  (Read 70 times)

1979 Black and Tan

• Active Forum Member
  • '79 in Sunny San Diego
Just Installed a Digital HP from Pertronix
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
a little background here....

for about a year now I have been having issues keeping my HEI module from overheating and leaving me stranded.  This started when I purchased a new HEI Distributor from PerTronix.  it worked excellent for about 2 months, then all of a sudden my modulator would overheat, and the thing would leave me stranded until it cooled down for about 20 min. or so...then I can restart it and drive home.  I called PerTronix and they sent me a new Module ...this went on for months.

I started to think that there was something wrong with the new distributor.....I got frustrated and decided to buy a cheap distributor from China ...samething...itworked great and lasted for about 2 months and then started killing modules ...
so i knew that it had to be the car's electrical system and not the distributor ...maybe a ground was bad or not connected, or the power to the distributor has too much resistance some where...a problem that was going to take a long time to track down and to solve no doubt.

So Instead of tracking down where in a 40 year old car could possibly have a bad ground or a restrictive power wire.  . ..i decided to divorce the ignition system from the car's wiring system by installing a MSD  6A type of ignition box
....I chose the Pertronix Digital HP because it was small and had a ton of features built in for the a lower price than the MSD 6AL

I installed the very small box up front on passenger side core support right next to the charcoal canister.
this was a very simple install.  and so far so good.  I had a few snags during the install but over all it went well.

The Digital HP comes preset from the factory and if you are installing it on a HEI ignition you only need to make one change to the preset settings, and that is at the trigger type, multiple spark and power settings......select Magnetic Trigger (Falling Edge) instead of the factory setting of Points / Electronic Ignition (Rising Edge) ..i did not do this at first and I had issues with connecting the vacuum advance ..PerTronix tech support help iron out that issue.

one other suggestion I made to PerTronix was for them to provide a wiring harness specifically for HEI (one large spade connector and one small..and wire hold downs inside the distributor ..I had to improvise on this part of the install. (I believe MSD provides this in their kit)   

I'll upload some pictures of my 403  1979 Trans Am install if anyone is interested in this installation

here are pictures of the box

and the settings

1979 Trans Am
100% California Car, originally Atlantis Blue/ Black...All Original Unmolested 403, TH350, 2.41
63,300 orig. miles
1971 Chevy K20 4x4

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
Re: Just Installed a Digital HP from Pertronix
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:28:43 PM »
That's cheating!!! :lol:

Did you ever track down the problem?

Did you notice any gains in mpg, performance or idle quality with the new HP ignition?

I have a new in box MSD 6al that's about 10 years old. I never had an engine built enough to take advantage of it. I might use it in the '79 just to get it out of my garage storage. LOL!

Re: Just Installed a Digital HP from Pertronix
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:28:43 PM »
You can help support TAC!