Author Topic: Dumb Question About Speakers  (Read 189 times)

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
Dumb Question About Speakers
« on: November 10, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »
So, I did ALL my metal repairs with a set of good sounding speakers still in the car; I'm not an audiophile. I was just too lazy to remove them, also I assumed they were cheap speakers. Long story short, they are covered in pounds of metal grindings. Turns out they are Pioneer speakers and now I wish I pulled them out and packed them away.

I know next to nothing about speakers. Is there any easy way to remove all the metal shavings from the huge magnets on the bottom of the speakers? What should I be looking for as I visually inspect the speakers i.e. tears in the cone? The speakers haven't been powered up since the car was stripped, is there any risk of a metal shaving causing serious damage or fire? Should I just consider them a loss and replace them?

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Dumb Question About Speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
I'd vacuum as much as possible from the inside of the cone and rub/scrape off everything from the back.  then try them out. 

Ironically, the best way to clean them is to remove them.  :-D

Worst case is they sound like crap and you buy new ones.  Ican't see the metal shavings in/around the speakers being a fire hazard.
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:02:43 PM »
You should be able to vacuum all the shavings off and be good to go, so long as metal shavings didn't cut up the cone or diaphragm.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 08:33:41 PM »
Thanks guys.  I've never opened or looked closely at a speaker so I have idea what's in there.  :shock:

cyber104

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »
I wouldn't put a vacuum cleaner to the cone itself - the vacuum might suck a hole in the paper or tear the spider/voice coil assembly.

I would just use a soft paint brush - remove the speaker and hold it upside down and brush out the cone

A vacuum should be fine on the magnet on the back though

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »
If you used the brush attachment on the vacuum that'd distance it enough to keep from applying to much force, but I agree if not use a brush or dry towel to gently wipe them off.  Might also find it easier to use a towel to wipe the shavings off the magnet if the vacuum doesn't get it all.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »
You can help support TAC!