Author Topic: What’s the best option of you wanted too get power from a 91 Firebird v6?  (Read 157 times)

Bscheit65

• Active Forum Member
Hey guys so as some of you know I bought a 91 Firebird v6 automatic. I sold it too my buddy and made some profit he’s working on some cosmetic stuff now but was wondering if he wanted to make it fast what would he need to do for rebuilds or engine swaps kinda looking for the biggest bang for the smallest dollar on this one. I informed him he probly wouldn’t make that kind of money back for resale value should of just bought a TA instead if he wanted that but he’s determined. What do you guys think?

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Sounds like it's one level above finding an Iron Duke to fit! Shed weight, the car and him perhaps.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
To do it right he'll lose money.  Once you change the engine and trans you have to change the suspension, brakes, and rear axle as well.  Well you don't have to, but no one will want to buy a half-assed car unless they're oblivious.  The best thing he can do if he wants to make money is clean it up and make it nice as possible and then sell it.  If he wants a V8 car then start with a V8 car.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

Bscheit65

• Active Forum Member
That’s what I said

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Buy a basic SBC 350 from summit and a TH350 from them as well. OR put NOS on the V6 for a run or two....
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

GTABill

• Active Forum Member
There are a few things you can do.  Not knowing where the vehicle is and what the emissions laws are there, he has a few options that he could do for a reasonable amount to get some pep out of the V-6.  First would be to get tune (chip) for it. I'm sure there is someone on thirdgen.org that does customs ones for a reasonable price.  I bought mine from ADS/Superchips way back when and did this on a Beretta GT and was really surprised how much it helped.  Now the chip I got required a "free flowing" exhaust, so I had the cat gutted and put back on for visual purposes.  Had they made headers for the front drive V6, I would have added those, but it worked fine with the stock manifolds.  I do believe they make headers for the rear drive V6 that would help it.  The chip also required a 160 thermostat and a cold air induction.  Also upgrading the plugs, wires and coils will help.  Easy and affordable suspension upgrades would be KYB GR2 shocks and struts.  I have the shocks on the GTA and they work very well.  If you wanted to spend a little more money, you could probably find a turbo set up for it since they did turbo the 3.1 in the Grand Prix in 90.  I can't see it being that much different to set it up on the Firebird. 
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"Anyone can make their life better if they choose to do what it takes to make it better"

Tea Party Patriot

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
There are a few things you can do.  Not knowing where the vehicle is and what the emissions laws are there, he has a few options that he could do for a reasonable amount to get some pep out of the V-6.  First would be to get tune (chip) for it. I'm sure there is someone on thirdgen.org that does customs ones for a reasonable price.  I bought mine from ADS/Superchips way back when and did this on a Beretta GT and was really surprised how much it helped.  Now the chip I got required a "free flowing" exhaust, so I had the cat gutted and put back on for visual purposes.  Had they made headers for the front drive V6, I would have added those, but it worked fine with the stock manifolds.  I do believe they make headers for the rear drive V6 that would help it.  The chip also required a 160 thermostat and a cold air induction.  Also upgrading the plugs, wires and coils will help.  Easy and affordable suspension upgrades would be KYB GR2 shocks and struts.  I have the shocks on the GTA and they work very well.  If you wanted to spend a little more money, you could probably find a turbo set up for it since they did turbo the 3.1 in the Grand Prix in 90.  I can't see it being that much different to set it up on the Firebird.
This it really great information and advice, If your friend has to keep that car, these are some decent options. But I can't help but think the price difference between selling it and buying a similar year V8 car has to be more cost effective.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

GTABill

• Active Forum Member
This it really great information and advice, If your friend has to keep that car, these are some decent options. But I can't help but think the price difference between selling it and buying a similar year V8 car has to be more cost effective.

You're probably right since aftermarket parts for it (V8) would be a bit cheaper and more available. I kinda have a special little place in my heart for those old 2.8/3.1 V6s.  The only thing would be if he were to go with a same year V8 car, he definitely needs to go TPI.  The TBI V8 wasn't a bad performer, but I was running side by side with em with the Beretta and reaping the benefit of MUCH better mileage.  After the mods on the Beretta, I was getting close to 35 MPG on the highway, which I couldn't believe.   
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"Anyone can make their life better if they choose to do what it takes to make it better"

Tea Party Patriot