Author Topic: new adjustable rear sway bar  (Read 293 times)

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
new adjustable rear sway bar
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »
here is the redesigned rear sway bar we have gone to a 1" hollow chrome moly bar

www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: new adjustable rear sway bar
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 02:12:48 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a smart@$$, and really, I am not trying to be one, just curious.......But.........Why is this better than the stock one I currently have?
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 04:40:49 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a smart@$$, and really, I am not trying to be one, just curious.......But.........Why is this better than the stock one I currently have?

Not saying it's better but it is stiffer than anything under 3/4" and being adjustable gives you the ability to tune the suspension , so if someone has either a small rear bar or no sway bar this is an upgrade on competition cars it helps fine tune for track conditions
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 02:17:20 PM »
Thanks, that makes perfect sense.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

78TA_In87

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:05 PM »
What would tuning be needed?  Wouldn't we want the sway bar to always reduce the sway by as much as possible, whether on a race track or a bumpy daily commuter's road?  I understand wanting to adjust shocks since a race setting would be way uncomfortable on a bumpy street, but can a sway bar being too stiff also make the ride less comfortable?  I read somewhere years ago that a lot of people use soft springs and super stiff sway bars to get comfortable rides that handle like your on rails.

I really don't know.  Just asking.  Considering getting these to upgrade from my stock.   I won't be racing, but will be aggressive on the streets.  Already have the Comp suspension kit and the PTFB front sway bar.   I'll be contacting you ( Dave ) this week but also curious what others have to say.
PONTIAC - We (Did) Build EXCITEMENT!!

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:05 PM »

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:26:05 AM »
Having the sway bar too effective in the rear means your car will step out on corner easily and you'll spin it, you need to balance the rear to the front...if you fit one of PTFB's adjustable front bars, you can keep upping the adjustment on the front for maximum handling and balance the rear accordingly.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe (project)

Former Firebirds -
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:03:15 AM »
As Leigh mentioned having too tight a rear bar causes over steer (fish tail).
Back then the factory tended to use soft springs and tried to control sway with the bars this is fine in a world if both wheels of each axle moved up and down exactly the same but irregularities in the road cause the wheels to move independently of each other therefore the sway bar does affect the ride.
In a performance cars with stiffer suspensions the sway bars are used to tune over/under steer, the springs and shocks control sway and also changing the suspension geometry can control sway through geometrical leverage such as moving the roll center in relationship to the center of gravity, that is what our upper A-arms with tall ball joints.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »
Is the new hollow bar lighter than the solid adjustable bar and if so what is the weight savings?
John Paige
Lab-14.com

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:08:33 PM »
yes the hollow bar is lighter, about a pound.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:08:33 PM »
You can help support TAC!