Author Topic: Aluminium LS engine rebuild? (LS1)  (Read 739 times)

boeing9999

• Active Forum Member
Aluminium LS engine rebuild? (LS1)
« on: November 19, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »
Hello. How are LS engines (LS1) engines going in terms of rebuilding? As far as I understand, they don't have much room to be bored. So what's the common practice if your LS engine fails? Just throw it out and get another?
What do you think of re-sleeving it? Modular sleeve kits. Wet sleeves of dry sleeves. For example, Darton sleeves?
(http://www.darton-international.com/midinfo.html) As far as I understand, you can increase the displacement of your 5.7 LS1 safely and accomodate higher power, but this requires really precise and skillful machining (not every shop can perform)? Did anyone re-sleeve your engine?

Will appreciate your views and experience. Because I'm about to start my swap with a 2001 LS1, but not sure for how long this engine will last and what I will be left with afterwards... I will still have the T56 from this kit, but I've heard, a T56 proper rebuild is very costly.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Aluminium LS engine rebuild? (LS1)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »
Right now they are not cost effective saving.
Your better off starting with another block.
Or pick up an LS3, LS6 , or LS7 Engine from a Corvette.

The Iron Truck 5.3 & 6.0 engines are excellent foundations..

If you find a pile of money the Dart NSX block is the way to go.
No Hardblock and using full water jackets its good for 2,000 Hp.

Factory over the counter LS-X engines is another cost effective option.
The LSX B15 Longblock is a Sleeper.
Tuned right Turbocharged you can have a 1,000 Hp engine for around $10,000.
That is assuming your a Race Mexhanic and do all required fabrication work yourself with the Turbocharger and intercooler cold side boost tubing.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:06:47 PM »
Also Sleeving is cost effective unless your NHRA class racing.
All that has been thrown out the door.
Grudge Racing heads up.
Street Outlaws.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 07:02:45 AM »
Boeing, It really depends on how the LS1 you started with was treated but LS motors in general are extremely reliable and can take a lot of abuse. If it has anywhere under 100k miles you should be fine, and even up to 150k you should still be fine. There are many people that are driving 200k+ with LS1 motors. When I swapped the LS1/6 speed into my 76 the motor had 108k miles and it ran beautifully.

Basically the stock LS1 blocks are only designed for a maximum of overbore of .010, which is not much at all. Most of the time when you hear of people machining the blocks for a Darton sleeve, they are looking to make big power with a stroker motor or lots of boost. I believe that the machining and cost of the sleeve's are in the ballpark of $3k, so it then becomes less attractive for a "rebuild".

If you are looking to do an entry level LS swap and basically just want to have a stockish motor and transmission to update your car, the Fbody LS1 motors/transmissions fit extremely well in the 2nd gen cars. If you get yourself a matching set of mounts and headers it isn't really any more difficult than a regular motor swap.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:09:20 AM »
There was an LSX 376 B8 engine GM made.
It had 480 Hp. Torque was around 425-450.
As is no power adder.
Set up for up to 8psi boost.
It had LS3 heads also.
Cost was about $5,000 out the door.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:09:20 AM »

boeing9999

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 12:17:41 PM »
Guys, thank you for your answers!

It seems, it's reasonable for me to go with the LS1 and T56 at the moment, the motor has 90k miles on it as I was told. For a couple of years I think I can run this set up and see if I have the funds to build a proper project later. Change the suspension while I prepare for a major increase in power.

I would look into camming it, but as far as I understand, in order to make it a "Cam only" LS motor, you need to buy a kit additionally to the new cam, like valve springs, timing chain set, ARP bolts.. Which would altogether cost closer to $1000 if I'm correct, plus labor cost, plus dyno tuning.
Is it really worth the investments? Car is intended for street use.

Because the LS1 motor is out of car at the moment, what upgrading is reasonable to do to it, while it's accesible?

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »

Because the LS1 motor is out of car at the moment, what upgrading is reasonable to do to it, while it's accesible?

What I've heard from the shops that tune is to replace the pushrods and springs.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
Boeing,

You will be very surprised at what the stock LS1 will give you performance wise. It all really depends on your budget, because you are absolutely right, once you open up the LS motors they become expensive. I would also add an oil pump and LS2 timing chain to the list for your cam swap. Both are very accessible and would be easy to do while you have the cam out.

You should also remember that it isn't necessary to bore the cylinder walls when you do a rebuild. There are many people who run stock bore LS1's and make a 383 stroker. Or you could pick up an LQ4 motor and build that while you drive your car. Once you decide to swap, you would only be swapping motors and a complete running LS1 will then be worth top dollar.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
You can help support TAC!