Author Topic: Best adhesive for spoilers  (Read 956 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Best adhesive for spoilers
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
Like most my 1979 rear quarter spoilers have lost their lower attaching bolt. It appears they were held on with some adhesive. I am going to make new bolts with holes in the head to give the adhesive something to grip but what is a good adhesive? Urethane to metal.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Brashanic_IM

• Active Forum Member
Re: Best adhesive for spoilers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »
I just went through this.

I tried multiple epoxies would not hold.

The water activated gorilla glue wouldn't hold.

Loctite superglue gel held. 

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:24:14 AM »
I haven't had to do that, but if I had to, I believe panel bond adhesive would work perfectly for that purpose. But it's kinda pricey if you buy a double plunger applicator gun and mixing nozzle to apply it with. But I think you could use it without the gun and nozzle by devising a way to push out some of the 2 part adhesive onto a piece of glass or cardboard and mix it manually and apply it. Here's the lowest price I found with a quick search: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Panel-Bonding-Adhesive-High-Performance-Two-Component-Epoxy-Adhesive-38315-/141495468380?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Steve F.

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
Instead of buying one of those expensive panel bond applicators, just use a dollar store caulking gun and a few extra parts to make your own!

Gene

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:22:29 PM »
I have the homemade applicator gun and panel adhesive was what I was thinking. But for a dab no bigger than a dime I was hoping someone had found a good alternative adhesive.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:22:29 PM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »
3m makes some pretty good auto grade double stick tape, have you looked into something like that?
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
Instead of buying one of those expensive panel bond applicators, just use a dollar store caulking gun and a few extra parts to make your own!

I like it!
Steve F.

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 03:11:54 PM »
Have you tried emblem adhesive?  I also check Devon's website.  Maybe call their applications guys and see what they'd recommend.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-plastic-emblem-adhesive-clear-08061-p-10392.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1OrSqf_u2AIVWC-BCh3zXgxBEAQYBCABEgKiGvD_BwE

http://www.itwadhesives.com/brands/devcon
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

Brashanic_IM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 03:21:32 PM »
I have the homemade applicator gun and panel adhesive was what I was thinking. But for a dab no bigger than a dime I was hoping someone had found a good alternative adhesive.

The super glue worked.

Adhesives for Bonding Plastic to Metal. ... In plastic to metal joining applications, advanced epoxy, silicone, cyanoacrylate and UV cure adhesive systems are easy to apply, have convenient cure schedules and offer high performance in difficult environments.

su·per·glue
?so?op?r??lo?o/Submit
noun
noun: super-glue
a very strong quick-setting adhesive, based on cyanoacrylates or similar polymers.

whiskeychick

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 12:23:29 PM »
If the piece if off the car, you could take it to any body shop and ask them to put some panel bond on it for you.  They wouldn't charge you much and would only take a minute.  Then you don't have to worry about the applicator or buying  a whole tube.
1987 Trans am GTA - 305 5spd, custom paint, slightly modded
1978 Trans am T/A 6.6 - 400 auto, gold, resto started

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Best adhesive for spoilers **update**
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
***UPDATE****

Here is a cheap product that seems to be crazy strong. I decided that I didn't want to use the super glue as it is a acrylic resin that is hard on flexible when cured. I'm not saying it won't work, it has held strong for Brashanic_IM. I just want something strong and flexible. I really liked the panel adhesive but didn't want to pay that much for a dab. While looking for flexible urethane filler I found this Bondo brand stuff. I normally shy away from your off the shelf auto parts body supplies as I have never had much luck with them and I have been around professional body supplies most of my life. But I thought I would give it a try as it was only $10 or so. The package says it can be used as a filler and to adhere big rips in bumper covers back together. So... I thought let's see how strong it is. I made up some flat bolts to glue to the spoilers and mixed up a little of the flexible filler. This stuff sets in 6 minutes and within 20 min was stuck so good I was going to rip a chunk of the spoiler off before this bolt comes off. This stuff is crazy strong, i haven't tried it as a filler as I was already using the glazing putty bit it is fairly thin and easy to spread. Not sure how easy to sand though.

Just thought I'd share. I got it at AutoZone.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:44:57 PM by FormTA »

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 09:56:52 PM »
Wow. That DIY applicator gun is brilliant. I know the official version of those are horribly expensive.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »
***UPDATE****

Here is a cheap product that seems to be crazy strong. I decided that I didn't want to use the super glue as it is a acrylic resin that is hard on flexible when cured. I'm not saying it won't work, it has held strong for Brashanic_IM. I just want something strong and flexible. I really liked the panel adhesive but didn't want to pay that much for a dab. While looking for flexible urethane filler I found this Bondo brand stuff. I normally shy away from your off the shelf auto parts body supplies as I have never had much luck with them and I have been around professional body supplies most of my life. But I thought I would give it a try as it was only $10 or so. The package says it can be used as a filler and to adhere big rips in bumper covers back together. So... I thought let's see how strong it is. I made up some flat bolts to glue to the spoilers and mixed up a little of the flexible filler. This stuff sets in 6 minutes and within 20 min was stuck so good I was going to rip a chunk of the spoiler off before this bolt comes off. This stuff is crazy strong, i haven't tried it as a filler as I was already using the glazing putty bit it is fairly thin and easy to spread. Not sure how easy to sand though.

Nice.
Thanks Form TA

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 10:48:24 PM »
Bondo makes some good stuff, I'm a fan of their "plastic metal" that comes in a similar tube.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

Brashanic_IM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »
***UPDATE****

very nice

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »
if i recall the factory meted the head of the flat bolt into the urethane, I heated up the head of the bolt and melted it into the plastic so far it has held for 15 years.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »
I thought that too. But there was some really old adhesive on there so I thought it was like that from the factory. It was on both sides.

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »
You can help support TAC!