Author Topic: mix and/or match radio/8-track  (Read 892 times)

SilverBullet

• Active Forum Member
mix and/or match radio/8-track
« on: July 26, 2017, 11:38:17 PM »
 I have a 76, pretty much all original with just over 105,000 miles. It came with the 8-track player but someone changed out the stereo to a more modern one years ago. I have an original am/fm radio (and one for a mid-size GM if anyone needs one of those). I like the idea of a better modern retro-look with the current feature. Does anyone know if the original 8-track can be connected to the newer style radios? Mainly for car shows but I would like it to be functional too if possible. Would the 4-vs-10 ohm speakers be an issue mixing the two? Otherwise I may just try and get the proper plugs that I am sure were cut and discarded years ago and get two old speakers for the rear deck.

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
      • Our Business
Re: mix and/or match radio/8-track
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:55:28 AM »
I haven't tried this yet but, I have it on good authority, that the 8-track has to be wired to plug into the auxiliary plug of the new system (normally in the front these days :(  - think headset plug) and it will work. I am in the same situation as you so I disassembled my 8-track, cleaned it up, and it seems to work. I just need to put it back together and get a stereo for the car to test this theory.

Although, listening to the band "8 banger" hasn't been bad.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 10:20:41 PM »
The 8 track originally was wired between the radio and the speakers; radio speaker wires pass through the 8 track.  When you pushed a tape in, the 8 track just "takes over" using some relays to cut out the signal coming in from the radio.  that's the good news.  yes, it's possible.  In fact it's easy.  The car was built that way to start with.

The bad news, as you already mentioned, is that the 10 ohm speakers are in that setup, and the layout, center front and right rear, is kinda nuts.  It might not sound very good.  I think it's entirely safe to drive 10 ohm speakers with a modern radio, but I don't know if there is a way to get "good" 10 ohm speakers.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

SilverBullet

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 12:59:17 AM »
 Would it work if I stay with the modern radio and speakers, and just use a small aux. amp for power, connect to speaker wires, and just put the radio in Aux. mode when I would use the 8-Track (very minimally)?

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 12:59:17 AM »
You can help support TAC!