Author Topic: Aux jack in original Delco radio recommendation  (Read 411 times)

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
Aux jack in original Delco radio recommendation
« on: June 22, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »
I have a couple of nice looking Delco am/fm cassette radios for 2 of my 79 Trans Ams, and while I like their original looks, their usability is limited in stock form. So, I had been interested in having AUX jacks installed so I could play music from my iphone, tablet, or an ipod through the original radios in my uncut dashes.

On eBay, I happened to notice there was a guy selling some good looking Delco radios in which he had installed AUX jacks. I contacted him and asked if he would install the AUX jack in my radios. He said yes, and made an eBay listing selling the service. So, I sent him both my radios and he added the jacks and returned the radios quickly. He not only adds the jacks, but also checks out the radio, and cleans and lubricates it while he's working on it. So, they came back looking better than when I sent them. Very easy guy to deal with, and I'm very happy with the results and performance. Being able to play the digital music thru the original radio really modernizes it and makes a big difference in the enjoyment. .

The service is $99 and there are shipping costs to and from. There are probably a number of radio repair and restoration people around the country who can do the work. But, I liked that this guy is fairly local to me, within 120 miles or so from where I live in the Atlanta area. The guy was fast and courteous, with excellent communication.

So, if you're like me, and want to keep the good looks of your original radio, but would like the use of an AUX jack for your digital music, your radio will be in good hands with this guy. I know it's not cheap, but I think it was reasonable for the quality and dependability of the work. It was well worth it to me. Below is a link to his eBay listing if you're interested. I don't get a kickback. I just thought some of you might like to know where to get this done dependably. But you can tell him that Steve sent you  :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modification-for-Delco-radio-with-aux-input-for-mid-70s-early-80s-cars-trucks-/232376592185?hash=item361ab96739:g:GjMAAOSwH09ZOF0I
Steve F.

TransBam

• Active Forum Member
Re: Aux jack in original Delco radio recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:46:42 AM »
 I recently purchased a refurbished original am radio from a very reputable vintage restorer and when I asked him about upgrades he replied......

"If one of your questions is for me to install an auxiliary input, I don't. They introduce unwanted alternator/engine noise into the audio circuits and, can damage the radio and/or your device .
An easy fix is to add a small FM adapter, which allows any AM radio to receive FM broadcasts. Than, use the wireless FM transmitter to input the ipod signal into the radio.The wireless transmitters will work with ANY FM radio and run between $10 - $30."

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »
That's certainly an option, and should work okay, depending on how particular you are about the sound and quality of the music you listen to.

I looked into the transmitters when deciding how to use my digital music devices with my original radio. In the end, I decided that the aux jack installed in the radio is the cleaner looking and more convenient way to go, rather than using those gadgets. The music is better and stronger, without interference, and plays directly through the amp in the radio, rather than with an fm signal. It does not damage the radio or the device.

So, I would disagree with that restorer guy. Mine work flawlessly, like a modern radio with aux jack. The other ways are a poor way to do it in comparison, with lesser quality music. Playing the music with an fm transmitter actually increases the chances of interference and it can sometimes be difficult to get a good fm signal due to interference from other fm stations in some areas. If you read some reviews of the transmitter devices, you'd hear about some low quality or interference experienced by the users.

I think the reason that some "restorers" don't do it is because they just don't know how to do it right, so they would rather suggest add-on gadgets.
Steve F.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 08:08:25 PM »
I bought an original 78 Delco radio that had been modified with Aux jack also. But it didn't work other than lights. That's a lot of money gone especially with shipping. Problem was that in that same period I also bought dash parts to suit and arranged a dash cut to be sent over as well and was in the midst of chatting to guys about speaker options that will work with early units. So I ditched the whole original idea and cut my losses while well behind. Is that why you're running the amp, Steve, for more modern speakers?  I've never had an ipod or similar so the whole idea was beyond me anyway, I just figured I'd learn.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:49:38 PM »
I bought an original 78 Delco radio that had been modified with Aux jack also. But it didn't work other than lights. That's a lot of money gone especially with shipping. Problem was that in that same period I also bought dash parts to suit and arranged a dash cut to be sent over as well and was in the midst of chatting to guys about speaker options that will work with early units. So I ditched the whole original idea and cut my losses while well behind. Is that why you're running the amp, Steve, for more modern speakers?  I've never had an ipod or similar so the whole idea was beyond me anyway, I just figured I'd learn.

Hi Ben. I'm really sorry to hear that somebody sold you a radio that didn't work. Was there no way to get a refund or get some other compensation from the seller? Don't know where you bought it, but I believe eBay has a guarantee if the item isn't as described, so you can make a claim. Even Paypal will allow you to make a claim against the seller if the goods are defective.

So yes, a modern DIN radio, with all the bells and whistles is really the easiest way to go, and just use the modern 4 ohm speakers. Sure you have to cut the dash hole, but if you aren't all original anyway, it doesn't matter that much. I'm actually installing a good looking Alpine unit in one of my 79's now. I cut the DIN size hole in the original black radio bezel, and use that for a factory finished look around the radio.

In this particular thread, the amp I referred to is just the original built-in amp inside the original radio, not an add-on external amplifier. As you know, to play the original radio, you must use 10 ohm speakers, like original. You must not use modern 4 ohm speakers or damage to the radio can result. New 10 ohm speakers are available at some places, like turnswitch.com . And my original radio with the aux jack installed played great, even through my old original 10 ohm speakers in the car. So you don't have to go to 4 ohm speakers to have good sound from the original radio, and you can save yourself the extra expense of an external amp.

But, if you want to use the original radio with modern 4 ohm speakers, since there are more and better speaker choices that way, you can do it if you connect an external amplifier to the radio's speaker output wires, and then connect the 4 ohm speakers to the amp outputs. I did buy an external amp for that purpose, but I haven't done it yet. You'd want to get an amp that has the speaker line input wire feature.

Of course with a modern DIN radio, you can get it with Bluetooth and USB, as well as the aux jack, so there are more options for playing the music through it. If you have a smart phone, you could load some music on it and use that and you won't have to buy another device. My favorite way to buy and play music on my i-phone is the Amazon Music app. Most songs are 99 cents each. If you have a smart phone, you can get the app and start loading music on your phone. I-tunes has an app too, but I don't like it as much. If you have some music on your computer that you'd like to play in the car, you can also load it to your phone or device. If you have music CD's, you can copy the music from the CD's to your computer and from the computer, you can load the music to your phone or other device. So there are a number of ways to go. It takes a little figuring out to get started loading music on your device. I suggest that once you figure out the music download steps, make notes of the steps to remind you how to do it the next time. That's what I did. You'll figure it out.
Steve F.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:49:38 PM »

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:27:04 PM »
Mine is already cut, even though it's not original anyway as a cast piece, I worked out I could graft the factory piece in with some minor work for original radio if it worked. The radio came spent several months at auto electrician to be tested, in the end he hadn't looked at it and the ebay ad was gone from when they used to disappear soon. The claim period is even shorter, or was. That was years ago now, but still one of the last things I did to the car!

Aah you had new speakers to suit, following now. I think the cd player I bought for car in more recent years has all those fancy options, my phone doesn't have a single song on it, it does make calls though! The car sat there so long that the previous CD player I bought would now be 13 years old and had no features, still sitting in it's box, good luck selling it for a few bucks on ebay! I tried.

I looked at those retro style also that say Pontiac or whatever, and although they don't look terribly original for a 70's car, the reviews weren't great and yet the price was still a lot more here than for something decent. No doubt that will change again if the car ever progresses further.

Anyway, enough derailing your thread with random thoughts!

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:27:04 PM »
You can help support TAC!