Author Topic: If it is not the ESC, then what?  (Read 844 times)

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
If it is not the ESC, then what?
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »
 :x I got home last night with the plan of changing the oil in the recently purchased 1980 Turbo Indy Pace Car. I'd asked my wife to start up the car early in the day and let it run for 30 minutes to continue the cooling system flush that I started over the weekend.  When I got home, she told me she could not get it started.  Car turned over readily and it was getting gas, but no spark.  I immediately suspected the ESC.  That was its issue when I brought it home.  We've started a few times since I replaced the original ESC, so this is new and happened after a short drive at highway speeds.  At least it is not on the side of the road.

I jumped the ESC connector are shown on 301 Garage, which worked fabulously before I replaced the original ESC, but this time nothing.  I hope, hope, hope that means the second ESC I put in to replace the original is not also hosed.  Before learning about the known issue with the ESC, I had replaced the ignition module, rotor and distributor cap.  I have not changed the ignition coil, but don't want to keep throwing parts at it.

The car has an alarm system that has been partially disabled by the PO, but hazards still flash when the door is opened and the typical, after-factory red alarm light on the dash blinks, so I'm wondering if that is part of the issue, like it has a kill switch somewhere. 

Any ideas?

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: If it is not the ESC, then what?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »
Cant offer any help, but it sucks that it quit running. I'm not sure if the old alarm systems had a "kill switch" to them as much as an audible horn. But I think at the very least I would try to trace that thing down and get rid of it. Good Luck.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
You can test the coil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEOdRoeS4mk

Or Google "HEI coil test" to find more information.

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
The cause of the non-starting has been identified and fixed.  The car had a rogue after-factory alarm.  The PO said it had been disarmed.  Apparently not entirely.  As I was working on the car, the alarm must have been reset.  It cut off the power to the distributor. I had it towed to Firestone as I gave up on it.  The tech called and believed it had something to do with the alarm.  I pulled the file of paperwork that the PO gave me and found the alarm owners manual.  I took it to the shop and within 10 minutes the car was started.  I authorized them to pull the mess entirely out of the car, which meant removing the driver's side kick panel, parking brake mount, etc.  But now it is done and no more cluster of wires and black boxes in the pedal area, or that blinking red light on the dash.  Any thieves reading this... fear the owner, not the alarm :lol:   

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
You can help support TAC!