Author Topic: Randi Lyn Wins Again !  (Read 196 times)

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:16:30 PM by oldskool »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat.
Re: Randi Lyn Wins Again !
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »
That's cool on many levels.  I guess this must be some kind of bracket racing since she won with a slower time?  I'm not overly familiar with drag racing.
Miata placeholder

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 05:56:23 PM »
That's cool on many levels.  I guess this must be some kind of bracket racing since she won with a slower time?  I'm not overly familiar with drag racing.

Stock Eliminator is similar to bracket racing in SOME ways. BUT, there are LOTS of differences.

Some differences are:

(1) Engine claimed must have been available in the body used. For Randi Lyn's car, that would be a 400, with 670 heads, '67 iron intake, & a 750cfm Q-jet. A 455 would be illegal in a '67 Bird, as would any other iron or alum heads, and any other carb or intake.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/EngineSpecs.aspx?ENGINE=1994&MAKE=Pontiac

(2) Camshaft is limited to a certain lift. For Randi Lyn's engine, the limit is .421/.425.

(3) Lots of other limitations, like no head porting, no tranny brake, 9" max tread width slicks, no ladder bar or 4-link rear suspension.

(4) Your dial-in can't be any slower than the NHRA index for your class. For the D/SA class Randi Lyn was running, the index is 11.55. Therefore, 11.55 is the slowest dial-in she could use.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/NHRA_Classes.aspx

(5) If you run a car in your same class, it's a heads-up race. No dial-in, no breakout. So, if Randi Lyn had run another D/SA car, it would have been heads-up.

There are many other differences. But, these are a few of the main ones. 

You could bracket race with a Stocker. Some do. But, most all bracket cars would not be legal for Stock Elim.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 06:10:19 PM by oldskool »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 07:22:40 PM »
Ahh ok.  I'm confused though on the weight break and the index times though.  Say for instance I used my Firebird that I think was a curb weight of 3,380 pounds and had 285 horsepower stock gives it a ratio of 11.86 lbs per hp, so that'd be an index 12.00-12.20 depending on what class it'd go in.  I think they were lucky to hit 13.8 or so stock in the 1/4, so how would that work out then?  It seems like all of their index times are really high for the weight breaks listed, for that matter.
Miata placeholder

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 01:54:53 PM »
Not sure I understand that post, exactly.

But, most cars can run 3 different classes.

(1) It can run the class that it naturally falls into, by dividing the NHRA listed weight by the NHRA horsepower index for the engine claimed. Example: When we ran a '68 Bird Stocker, the weight was 3300 lbs, the hp was 330. So, 3300 lbs divided by 330 hp = 10 lbs/hp. 10 x 330 + 3300. That was a perfect fit for the E/SA class.

(2) For most cars, NHRA will now let you remove weight, to make the next higher class. The next class above the 10 lbs/hp class is the 9.5 lbs/hp, which would be D/SA. So, in order to run D/SA your car would have to weigh a minimum of 9.5 x the NHRA hp factor of engine claimed. NHRA allows 170 lbs for driver weight. So, you must add 170 lbs to car minimum weight, to figure the total minimum weight required, with driver in car.

(3) NHRA will also allow you to add weight, to make the next lower class. In order to run F/SA, the car would have to weigh a minimum of 10.5 lbs/hp, plus the 170 lbs driver weight allowance. NHRA has rules for how you can legally add ballast weight in the trunk. 

"...It seems like all of their index times are really high for the weight breaks listed..."

That's one of the things that makes class racing different from bracket racing. You can't just drive an almost stock street car to the track & hope to run anywhere near the NHRA index for it's class. The engine must be built to make enuff power to run the index or quicker, within the rules. Automatic trans cars must use a high stall converter, a beefed up trans, and a strong enuff rear end, with the correct rear gears to achieve the lowest ET. For most cars, the cam for a competitive Stocker would be too radical for street driving, the converter would have too much stall, & rear gears would not be streetable. So, the word "Stock", in NHRA Stock Eliminator racing, is a little misleading. Most every part of the engine & running gear is either aftermarket or highly modified, for racing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:47:51 AM by oldskool »

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 01:54:53 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
You were saying how the index time was the slowest she could go, but on that chart all of those index times are faster than any car I'd know of per weight break listed.  Like my car stock would have to be 12.00 or 12.20 in the 1/4 mile by their weight break classing, but there's no way it could possibly do that even with drag slicks when it'd get 13.70 to 13.90 depending on how good they were when it was new.  The times for each weight break seem impossible to reach, if that's the slowest you're allowed to go.  That's why I'm confused.

Ah ok, you got to it in your edit while I was responding.
Miata placeholder

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
You can help support TAC!