Author Topic: Best pass to date was a disappointing 13.1  (Read 18640 times)

Garry

• Active Forum Member
Best pass to date was a disappointing 13.1
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
Deleted because I'm that pissed off about it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:16:31 PM by Garry »

takid455

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Best pass to date was a disappointing 13.1
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:09:34 PM »
That's pretty good. Quicker than most muscle of yesterday...not today however.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:30:59 PM »
My 60 foots totally sucked, up in the 2s. It's a 73 Formula with a 461.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:12:14 AM by Garry »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »
Need traction & weight transfer to the rear tires.

You should be able to hit 1.7- 1.6 60 foot times on street radial tires if you practice and have the car dialed in.
Front sway bar hooked up too.

If your using Pro Tour 18-19 inch rims they are terrible for drag racing fast launches.
Unless you have drag radial tires in 18- 19 inch rim sizes.

15's & modern 17 's work best for drag racing in old school & modern muslcecars.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 01:44:46 AM »
The tires are Nitto 275/60r15 DR's. I'm running air shocks on the back right now so I don't eat the tires with the inner fenderwell lip. I need to cut it for clearance.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 01:44:46 AM »

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 02:18:16 AM »
Another problem I had was with the trans short shifting even in manual 1st & 2nd. I was told it had a shift kit in it but it didn't act like it. I put a strip kit in it yesterday. It's a turbo 400 I got off a friend.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 06:09:51 AM »
Another problem I had was with the trans short shifting even in manual 1st & 2nd. I was told it had a shift kit in it but it didn't act like it. I put a strip kit in it yesterday. It's a turbo 400 I got off a friend.

I don't know what your engine combo & drivetrain combo is exact other than its a stroker Pontiac 400 with a turbo 400 trans.
What rear diff gear ?

Mph is pretty typical with street friendly soft camshafts liked here on TAC.
Not all that bad but not great when compared to modern musclecars trapping 117-124 mph average.

To get 117-124 mph trap speeds takes Homework Race Math.
140 MPH Fast done by Dodge Demons is another story.
Need 840-1000 HP . 
Only practical way is Turbo Charge. Custom fabbing required.  Or Old School 8-71 Supercharger Can be done Normal aspirated Pontiac but you need $40,000 - $60,000 cash. Likely more yet $$$$.

There is a Governor & valvebody calibration issue in the Turbo 400 trans with your complaints.
Another topic how to set up & build it.

Black Sheep

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 08:37:34 AM »
I'm running air shocks on the back right now so I don't eat the tires with the inner fenderwell lip. I need to cut it for clearance.

Think I found the problem.

Let me guess, this is your car at launch:

When really, it should be doing this:

You need to call Calvert Racing and get a set of their traction bars.  And get rid of the air shocks and get some adjustable ones.

Little girls squat when they pee.  Your car needs to stand tall  :lol:
455 Olds/Th350,3.90
121 mph
1.46 60'
3125lbs.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 02:53:48 PM »
lol! I'm not using my stock gas tank so i suppose I could fill it with concrete.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »

I don't know what your engine combo & drivetrain combo is exact other than its a stroker Pontiac 400 with a turbo 400 trans.
What rear diff gear ?

Mph is pretty typical with street friendly soft camshafts liked here on TAC.
Not all that bad but not great when compared to modern musclecars trapping 117-124 mph average.

Need 840-1000 HP . 
Only practical way is Turbo Charge. Custom fabbing required.  Or Old School 8-71 Supercharger Can be done Normal aspirated Pontiac but you need $40,000 - $60,000 cash. Likely more yet $$$$.

There is a Governor & valvebody calibration issue in the Turbo 400 trans with your complaints.
Another topic how to set up & build it.
The 461 has the new CNC E-Heads and the duration on the cam is up around 300. I just fired it back up with the Victor back on today and I tossed in a small nitrous kit for kicks. The rear gear is a 3.73 on a mini spool. Theres also a fuel cell in the trunk. I had a turbo 350 in the car but I fried it fairly quick. Heres a video of the car when I had it in Las Vegas.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3LN9hxytSE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3LN9hxytSE</a>

silvert/a

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 04:26:44 PM »
Another way to look at it is if you both had the same reaction time you would have won. It still was a decent run.
Mark                                                                                                                  1978 Silver Trans Am 400 Automatic1967 Firebird 326 3 speed manual

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
Another way to look at it is if you both had the same reaction time you would have won. It still was a decent run.

Thank man. That was my first time at that track so to be perfectly honest I was more interested in learning the routine.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:01:33 PM by Garry »

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 08:54:57 PM »
"...not great when compared to modern musclecars trapping 117-124 mph average.

Need 840-1000 HP . 
Only practical way is Turbo Charge. Custom fabbing required.  Or Old School 8-71 Supercharger Can be done Normal aspirated Pontiac but you need $40,000 - $60,000 cash. Likely more yet $$$$..."

With all due respect, I think you've made your point about late model stuff, and all the performance that's available if you have enuff $$$$ to throw at it.

Hey, Pro Stockers can run mid 6's, and the Nitro cars can run in the 3's, @ over 300mph, in 1000ft.

But, SO WHAT ?

Most of the cars on this site are fairly low budget street driven cars. And, most, but not all, the 2nd gen Birds have stock block iron head engines, with one carb, using pump gas. No blowers, no turbos, no nitrous.

Most of these guys probably have less than $10k in their engine. Everybody knows Chevy power is cheaper than Pontiac power. But, many of these guys wanna stay with old school Pontiac power.

Nowadays, it is possible to build a "Pontiac" engine without using a single GM part. And, if you have enuff $$$$$ to throw at it, you can make a lot of streetable power, without any power adders. My local engine guy built a 400 block aluminum head stroker that made 755hp @ 5900 rpm, and over 700ft lbs of torque. Then he built an almost identical engine, and put it into a '69 street GTO. I attended a car show to which he drove the car. It was very streetable. 

What's my point with all this ? Plenty of power can be made with N/A Pontiac engines. So, these guys who have one and are asking questions about increasing their performance, probably don't wanna keep hearing about how much more power they could make with some other brand of engine, or some high dollar power adder deal.

Hey, I may be the only one here who feels this way. But, it's my opinion. No offense meant, at all. :)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:58:21 PM by oldskool »

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »
If it wasn't for the diehards those parts wouldn't be available. I was around when you couldn't buy an aftermarket stroker crank and I've dropped really stupid money into cast iron heads.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:12:33 PM by Garry »

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 09:39:42 PM »
"...The 461 has the new CNC E-Heads and the duration on the cam is up around 300. I just fired it back up with the Victor back on today and I tossed in a small nitrous kit for kicks. The rear gear is a 3.73 on a mini spool..."

Drag strip ET is all about the combination of parts & the tune.

Your description of your cam, plus the use of a Victor intake, raises questions.

(1) What are the exact cam specs ? Or, just the cam brand & part number will do.

(2) How much does your converter stall ? Or, is it just a factory stock converter ?

(3) What size, brand, & model is your carb ?

(4) What type of ignition system do you have ? How much total advance ? At what rpm does it reach full mechanical advance ?

(5) Are you getting a lot of tire spin at the hit of the throttle ?

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 09:39:42 PM »

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 10:07:14 PM »
This is just a word of warning--from experience.

If the axle tubes of your rear end have not been welded, or at least tacked to the center section, the center section could spin on the tubes, sending the pinion yoke up thru the floor.

We had it to happen, on a '71 Bird drag car, with a 455/TH400/stock 13" converter. The car had 13" slicks. So, if you manage to get good traction, your engine could easily twist the tubes loose.

After that happened, I always added 4 small tack welds, 90° apart, using a small arc welder, with 7018 rods. Some like to weld it completely around. But, if you do that, the rear needs to be in a jig, to prevent the tubes from being pulled out of line. I always made the 2nd tack 180° from the first, then let 'em both cool, before adding the other 2 tacks. Did several rear ends this way. Never had a problem, running low 12's & high 11's.

Or, if your tubes have not been tacked or welded, you can just take a chance & hope your factory tacks hold. There have been lots of guys get by without any problems. 

Also, a word about the TH400. As mentioned, the governor can be modified to change the shift points. My tranny guy, who is also a Pontiac guy, modified his governor to shift at his desired rpm, in his 9 sec Pontiac. He just put the trans in drive & let it shift automatically. It worked. He won a big bracket race at our local track that year. He tried to talk me into doing it too. But, I like to shift.  :-)

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 11:10:08 PM »
The torque cnv. is a 10 inch with anti ballooning plate, it's around 3600 stall. Carbs a Holley 950 and the cam is the largest flat tappet comp cams makes with 1.65 rockers. I couldn't spring for a roller cam at the time. Ignition system is a K-mart H.E.I. and needs to be replaced. I'll have it at the track again this Friday and maybe I can save a little face.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:14:50 PM by Garry »

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »
Also, a word about the TH400. As mentioned, the governor can be modified to change the shift points. My tranny guy, who is also a Pontiac guy, modified his governor to shift at his desired rpm, in his 9 sec Pontiac. He just put the trans in drive & let it shift automatically. It worked. He won a big bracket race at our local track that year. He tried to talk me into doing it too. But, I like to shift.  :-)

If I alter the gov I'll have to manual shift every time I drive it. It sees way more street than track and there isn't much to play with at the grocery store.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:30:51 AM by Garry »

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 10:45:17 AM »
I actually have to take the car an hour away if I want to do any street racing. It just doesn't happen where I live now. Also disappointing considering the amount of hot rods in Lake Havasu. They must have bumped their heads somewhere along the line. 

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »
"...duration on the cam is up around 300...the cam is the largest flat tappet comp cams makes with 1.65 rockers..."

With this description, assuming it's a HFT, the best I can figure is that it's a 305 Magnum.???

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-51-241-4?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-comp-cams&gclid=CjwKEAjw3pTJBRChgZ3e7s_YhAkSJAASG9VrBfTZcqMa0gYa2bB4rMSErgf2WWl-Wd0fxndMNiWfhBoC-__w_wcB

If this is the cam you have, it has about .578 lift, with the 1.65 rockers. With 1.5 rockers, it has 253° duration @ .050 lift. So, with the 1.65 rockers it has even more. If this is indeed the cam you have, it is way too big for a street driven car. IMO

http://ronspontiacpage.com/reference-pages/comp.htm

Even in a 461, this cam will have very little power under 3000rpm. And it must have a nasty idle. I had a 292 magnum, which has only 244° @ .050. In my bracket 455 it wouldn't idle below 1000rpm. I would not attempt to run it in a street car.

Here's an important question you did not answer.

"...Are you getting a lot of tire spin at the hit of the throttle ? "

The reason this question is so important is because it lets us know if you have traction problems, or some sort of low end bog, at launch.

For example: If your converter is actually flashing to 3600rpm & blowing the tires off, at the hit of the throttle, then traction is the first problem which must be addressed, for a lower ET. Just being hooked to the track will probably get you down into the 12's.

BUT, if your tires are staying hooked up, without spinning, then the bog must be addressed.

"...If I alter the gov I'll have to manual shift every time I drive it. It sees way more street than track..."

The vacuum modulator will allow it to shift at low rpm, on the street. The governor only determines the shift rpm at WOT, when there is no vac to the vac modulator. The 1st TH400 we raced was a bone stock long tail, straight from the junkyard, with no vac line to the modulator. The car ran high 12's & won lots of races at area tracks, running E/SA. With the big cam you're running, the engine may not produce enuff vac to correctly operate the vac modulator. Probably not enuff for the power brakes to work correctly. ???

https://www.google.com/search?q=purpose+of+a+vacuum+modulator+on+a+th400+trans&rlz=1CAACAO_enUS682US682&oq=purpose+of+a+vacuum+modulator+on+a+th400+trans&aqs=chrome..69i57.18627j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Here's some info on modifying the governor for higher rpm shifts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+midify+the+governor+in+a+th400+for+higher+rpm+shifts&rlz=1CAACAO_enUS682US682&oq=how+to+midify+the+governor+in+a+th400+for+higher+rpm+shifts&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.27859j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:09:45 PM by oldskool »

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »
The cams an xe294h and it has a pretty nasty idle. Lift is about 575. Off the line I'm getting spin wheel hop and to make matters worse I had a broken trans mount I didn't know about. Doing the gov mod makes way more sense now, I should have known this but it's been a while. I actually feel kinda stupid at this point.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 02:36:03 PM »
When I take it to the track this Friday I'm filling the stock gas tank with sand to see if it helps with traction. It's only there to keep a somewhat stock appearance and I don't see what a little more weight to the ass end can hurt. I can't get the bottle filled at the moment so I'll still be on motor. If I can't hit mid 12s on DRs I'm really going to be pissed. This car should be in the 11s on motor. At minimum it's kicking 550hp.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:08:10 PM by Garry »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 03:27:58 PM »
With CNC ported Edelbrock heads it should trap no less than 115 mph.
124-128 would be even better.
Right now no better than stock high compression D-port heads.
Definate Power issues.
If your Street Racing your car must handle also.
Tough game.
New musclecar owners waiting to Race whether you want to or not.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
Engine parameter Race math & Drag racing math will help solve.
I am at work yet.
I have ideas why.
My input not welcome reading above.

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 04:38:45 PM »
"... Off the line I'm getting spin wheel hop..."

OK, I assume that means that your spinning so bad that the rear is actually hopping. That explains the slow 60ft times, & ET.

Therefore, the best way to lower your ET, is to get the power to the track. As mentioned, some CalTrac bars will help. The NHRA Stockers use these to run 10's & even quicker, on 9" slicks.

https://www.calvertracing.com/caltracs.html

But, for some cheaper help, slapper bars will work. Some guys today think these are old school junk. But, there have been plenty of cars run in the 10's with slappers. My '71 bird ran 9.85 on a 1000ft track, with slappers. I even made some homemade slappers, using square tubing. They worked just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Lakewood-21607-Traction-Bar/dp/B000BW8TOG

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lakewood/620/21607/10002/-1

But, traction bars alone won't fix your traction problems. You MUST get some SOFT rubber on the track. The idea is to put down the biggest, softest contact patch you can, on the track. Since you are not limited to 9" wide tires, I'd get some at least 10.5" slicks, in the softest compound available. But, these are over $200 each, new. You may be able to find something cheaper, by asking around to your area racers. The ideal thing would be if you could borrow some, to make sure they'll provide all the traction you need. In order to use a wide tire, you may have to use short tires, to clear the fenderwell. The shorter tires will have a slightly smaller contact patch than a taller tire of the same width. It won't hurt anything to have the tire stickin out past the fender, for track use only. Me and lots of other low buck racers have been doin it for years.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/wheels-tires/part-type/tires/wheel-diameter/15-in/tire-type/competition/brand/hoosier-racing-tire?N=4294950865%2B4294898495%2B4294920795%2B4294897350%2B4294898345%2B400343&gnview=Horizontal&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/wheels-tires/part-type/tires/wheel-diameter/15-in/tire-type/competition/brand/mickey-thompson?N=4294950865%2B4294898495%2B4294920795%2B4294897350%2B4294898345%2B400206&gnview=Horizontal&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

I always used adjustable spring shackles to raise the rear of the body for more tire clearance. But, you may not wanna do that. I also usually enlarged the wheelwell, for bigger slicks. But, you may not wanna do that either. If this is the case, short, wide, soft tires, is the alternative.

If you'll be using the soft tires on the street, M/T drag radials is what most of the quickest cars are running. If you go with these, you'll have to figure out what is the widest, tallest tires that will fit, and mount 'em on wheels with just the correct offset.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip/et-street-ss/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3451?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-mickey-thompson&gclid=CjwKEAjw3pTJBRChgZ3e7s_YhAkSJAASG9Vrn8kVjdChZtZ7jT8mhZRc33qjPFkdMl4A_veTPx_lQhoC3lvw_wcB

As others have mentioned, weight transfer helps with traction. There are all sorts of things that can be done to help free up the front end, so that it will rise quickly, at the hit of the throttle. If you have a sway bar hooked up, you can unhook it, so that it will not hold the front down.

https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf+spring+drag+race+tips&rlz=1CAACAO_enUS682US682&oq=leaf+spring+drag+racing+tips&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.15874j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=front+suspension+drag+race+tips&rlz=1CAACAO_enUS682US682&oq=front+suspension+drag+race+tips&aqs=chrome..69i57.17717j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 05:30:09 PM by oldskool »

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
You've been a big help oldskool, appreciate it. I screwed up buying the Nittos to save a buck. Having to cut to many corners is whats biting me in the ass.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:52:50 PM by Garry »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »
The tires are Nitto 275/60r15 DR's. I'm running air shocks on the back right now so I don't eat the tires with the inner fenderwell lip. I need to cut it for clearance.

149509297He has Nitto Drag Radial tires.
Nittos & Mickey Thompson DR ET tires are the best Drag Radial tires made.
Been around since 2001 year.
Mickey Thompson Drag Radials in 2004 available.

I bought some of the 1st M.T. DR 275/60 R15.
28.0 Tall. On 10 inch wide Centerlines.
Still use on my TA.

They Hook up super hard.

Mickey Thompson Drag Radials guys have put down over 2000 Hp and ran 6s at 200 mph in 1/4.
P275 60 R15.

Its an NHRA NMCA RACING CLASS YET TODAY.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 05:00:15 PM »
NITTOS Are a Favorite with many.
7s had on P275 60 R15 Nittos in 2003 by Ford 5.0 guys.

Other issues.
Hp yet .

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »
Well, no matter how I dice or slice it I'll just have to wait and see what the car does next time out. Sorry about all the editing.   :cool:

critter

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.arkansaspontiacs.org
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 07:01:53 PM »
That's a great baseline. Now the tuning starts. Play with the timing. Change your launch RPM. Tires and traction are VERY important. Carb jetting on the top end is another place to look for power.
Been there, done that, t-shirt is now a shop rag.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 07:04:52 PM »
Well, no matter how I dice or slice it I'll just have to wait and see what the car does next time out. Sorry about all the editing.   :cool:
Check the Fuel pressure.
A guage to read off of running down the 1/4 mile. A good fuel system layout will never drop more than 1/2 psi.
Watched your Vid.
Its way low on HP AND TORQUE.

What cfm head porting job sold to you ?
300 cfm ?
350 ?
400+ cfm ?

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 07:18:34 PM »
Yea I'm glad I took it to the track, at least I have a starting point. The heads are out of the box CNC 72cc Performer RPMs. Summit. The pump is a Sniper 140 with 8-an to the regulator. Seems like it should be enough.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »
Yea I'm glad I took it to the track, at least I have a starting point. The heads are out of the box CNC 72cc Performer RPMs. Summit. The pump is a Sniper 140 with 8-an to the regulator. Seems like it should be enough.
Ok.
Working with a Low ball 500 Hp.
High 550-560 Hp On top of my mind thinking.
Run Hard Race Math engine numbers in a few hours. Busy fixing the Darn Washing machine here.

Yes it should be Faster your 1973 Formula Firebird.
Your doing only slightly better than my old 1987 Corvette can. Stock 13.2 @ 100-102 mph.
Added a few mods nothing exotic.
245 hp only & 345 ft/lbs torque.
Runs good still.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »
Check the Fuel pressure still.

critter

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.arkansaspontiacs.org
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2017, 07:36:51 PM »
I'd work on traction first. Get the 60 foot times down in the 1.8s or lower if you can. A good converter stalled properly for the cam can make a huge difference as well.
Been there, done that, t-shirt is now a shop rag.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 07:50:06 PM »
The only thing I can do right now to get my 60s down is add weight to the back of the car and maybe screw around with tire pressure. I haven't tried dropping them down yet. As far as the fuel pump goes it probably wouldn't hurt to do a can test at the regulator.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »
The only thing I can do right now to get my 60s down is add weight to the back of the car and maybe screw around with tire pressure. I haven't tried dropping them down yet. As far as the fuel pump goes it probably wouldn't hurt to do a can test at the regulator.
Nittos need the tire pressured lowered.
Try 22 psi.
Then 14 psi.
Adjust for best 60 foot times.

Never heard of Sand Ballast in the old gas tank.
The lighter you can make a 2nd gen Bird the better.
3000 lbs is good.
3200 lbs without you seated not too hard in a non AC car.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 09:39:57 PM »
Try 22 psi.
Then 14 psi.

3000 lbs is good.
In Mi I cut the top off my stock tank & filled it with lifting weights, it's to hard to get the tank back up there now days. That was my 69 which I kinda wish I would have kept right about now. I'll try those air pressures.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 10:18:05 PM »
Try 22 psi.
Then 14 psi.

3000 lbs is good.
In Mi I cut the top off my stock tank & filled it with lifting weights, it's to hard to get the tank back up there now days. That was my 69 which I kinda wish I would have kept right about now. I'll try those air pressures.

If the ass end feels loose too low of tire pressure likely.
Have to experiment with tire air pressure.

I Love My Mickey Thompson Drag Radial Tires on My Trans Am.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 06:10:05 AM »
I ran the old bias ply street ets on my 69 and it hooked way better than this 73. That was on spray too.
2Nd Gen Early Birds & Trans Ams are Bad Azz for Drag Racing & Street Racing at night.

Where others can not control on the street because it will not  hookup & handle You Can and Blow right By & WIN.

Corvette could not match the handling till the 1984- 1987 C4 Corvettes were Released .

Street Racing is not always in a straight line.

Watch what they do in TEXAS ON YOU TUBE ON the EXPRESSWAYS. 2,000 + HP Drag Cars .
Drag Radial Tire equipped.

You should be able to hit 1.6-1.7 60 foot times no sweat.  Suspension issue, wrong tire pressure.
Something. 

I hit 1.6-1.7 60 foot times in My Trans Am on  with old  school Copper Hercules P255 60R 15's M+S Street Tires back in 1998.
My Car is a 4-speed.
I had 32 psi rear tire pressure set.
Front sway bar hooked up.
Just Cheap Delco Replacement Gas charged street shocks on all 4 corners.
Dumped the clutch hard at 3,000 rpm after slipping carefull to hookup clean.
Launched Like a Wicked Fick Beast.
3.90 Rear diff gears at the time.

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 06:10:05 AM »
You can help support TAC!