Author Topic: Take a look in the mirror when it comes to car shows  (Read 1384 times)

Maryland Bandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Take a look in the mirror when it comes to car shows
« on: April 21, 2017, 06:26:00 AM »
I found this while surfing the web the other day. I does make you take a look in the mirror when it comes to our cars at shows.
Enjoy the read:

Dear Trophy Hunter,

We know the show season has just begun and you are noticeably excited, but before you explode with jubilation we’d like to stop you for a second and address an incident from last year.

Do you remember? It happened at the show where you spent most of the day glued to your folding chair positioned beside your car. You grew agitated with each passing moment you were not judged, and when it was your time you made darn sure the judges were well aware of the fifth TV screen your car had, versus your competitors one.

Yes, we’re talking about that show.

The same show where upon not winning the trophy you had already awarded yourself mentally, you tried to keep your composure but the expression on your face and words muttered under breath betrayed you.

As you stomped off like a child we watched, and later when you went on a social media slandering the event, its competitors, and the ‘scene’ in general we watched that too.

awardsLetting loose an onslaught of complaints and personal attacks, alongside boisterous self promotion justifying why you deserve an award, makes you look incredibly immature, especially when you do it after every event.

Do you really think show organizers want to read complaints you made while they were still at the venue cleaning up? Do you think those who accepted their awards humbly want to read about how little you think of their cars?

Yeah, we’ve got to tell you, as a friend all of that behavior is getting pretty tiresome.

niagara_truck_and_tuner_expo_2013_trophiesSure, we all love appreciation for the cars we call our own, but the rest of us have realized that building a car for ourselves is a much more valuable endeavor and that appreciation comes in ways not limited to plastic cups.

All the time you spend obsessing over something to put on a shelf in your garage, or worse cart from show to show as some sort of mobile shrine to yourself, has blinded you to the true joys of being an enthusiast.

Did you happen to notice the small child that spent an extra long time looking at your car? Chances are they will remember your vehicle for years to come and it just might have set them down the path of becoming an enthusiast one day. You’d pick up on these kind of subtleties if you saw the forest beyond the trees, or that is the community beyond the awards. Building a car, truck or bike, should never be just about a trophy because honestly there are much cheaper past times to partake in if you just want to line your mantel or work bench with trinkets.

Witnessing your adult temper tantrums is exhausting, and your empty threats to retire and leave the scene fall on deaf ears because, thanks to your increasingly poor attitude, we wish you would.

But as much as events could do without you we want to let you know it isn’t too late to change. Instead of fixating on the prize at the end, focus on the journey, the experiences, and friends that come with building a car and being a real enthusiast. When you’re at the next event on your calendar take a look around at what everyone else is doing; swapping stories, laughing, catching up and genuinely enjoying themselves. Is missing all that really worth a trophy?

After all these years of chasing awards we know it might be hard to change your mind about the true purpose of events (TLDR: it’s about the people not the awards) but if you could at least try to see them differently this year that would be great.

Thanks,

Concerned Enthusiasts Everywhere

another10th

• Active Forum Member
Re: Take a look in the mirror when it comes to car shows
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 07:03:01 AM »
I think many of us have been that guy a some point. Fortunately, we matured and learned to enjoy the show. The best time at a car show is when you open the door to some young kid who's been admiring your car and invite him to sit behind the wheel.
Trophies are nice, but sharing your car is better!
JEFF

'79 TATA
'02 CETA #436

Johnny ace

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
Well written.Thank you.

winks79

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »
I can honestly say that I have never been that person. Never cared for a trophy, ever, and never received one with any of my cars over the years. Never entered a car show to win a trophy. Never paid to enter a car show unless it was for a good charity/cause. Would never spend my money to enter a show just to have a chance to win a trophy or prize. So therefore I really never had a chance to be that person in the first place. Didn't ever go to a cruise in/car show for competition anyway. It has always been about the people for me. I can relate to the kids and other adults that just admire your ride for what it is. My enjoyment came from having people tell stories and wishing they owned a car like mine. Always made my day when a kid would come along and ask if he could sit in my car, or an adult for that matter. I can remember being the same as kid, and those are very fond memories I will never forget. More good people at the shows than bad though.
Chad

FULZGOLD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
This is why I'm a big fan of Cars and Coffee events. No judging, no pressure. Just park and have fun looking around. Lots of people have great stories along with their cars too. Trophy? No thanks.
1978 Y88 Trans Am
4-Speed
47k Mile Survivor

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »
Dear Trophy Hunter.....

The 1st time I had a car to even take to Nats was in 2014. I was put in Stock class with my 98 WS6, which I learned is the worst class for me with a car that is cared for, but does get driven and has the paint chips to show for it.  With only 11 in the class, I sweated the details and cleaning.  Fun was limited and I was stuck next to a Trophy Hunter type.  It was tiring and I didn't win anything.  In fact, I learn later that I came in last place.  Skipped 2015 for financial reasons.  Then last year 2016 was a blast.  I chose the green, no judge, placard.  Got moved into modified due to window tint and the non-98 dual exhaust tips.  Didn't clean every nook and cranny of the car after the drive, but did a modest cleaning for the visitors more than anything.  I left it closed up and enjoyed the show immensely.  Now, not everyone can or maybe should do that, but for me it worked.

FLLDYTRKR

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 01:47:56 PM »
Boy do I have a few to forward this too..Thanks for the posting.
76 Trans Am w/Hurst T-Tops
88 Form WS6 FireBird w/T-Tops Traded for 72 Buick GS
68 Ford XL Fastback
30 Chevy AD Coupe-Sold
56 Chevy BelAir
88 Chevy Silverado

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 03:54:27 AM »
I remember attending a car show many years ago only to see my previously restored car proudly displayed by the new owner. I was so embarrassed that I had to avoid that entire row. I will never attend or display a car at a show or allow others to judge or tell me if my effort and money spent was worthwhile in their opinions. I do it for myself and don't care what anyone think, unlike the guy in the story who almost appears to have had in mind what every mod on the car would do come judging time and the accolades for him.

71Firebird

• Active Forum Member
  • One day, my son will drive it :)
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 05:35:26 PM »
Well, a lot of car shows are BS in themselves as well which is why I stopped going to them.  They've gotten expensive and not all for good causes, they're run by old guys who only care to award cars from the 50's or older- time after time and coincidentally only from their car club, and yes it does seem people have become reserved in conversing. 

I like the cars in coffee but can only do so much of that as well...my area is small so it's just regulars and most of the guys never really cruise their cars...just garage to donuts on Sunday and then back to garage.  I prefer to go for a good drive in different directions, get a burger and back home.  I seem to meet a lot more people and engage better conversations anywhere else than a car gathering.

Pats TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 07:37:49 PM »
 When I go to car shows, I don't even take my cars. It's easier to just walk around,( look and socialize). Plus I can leave when I want to. I would rather go to a cruise in.

Gold member

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 08:33:42 PM »
I do charity shows not interested in the judging . Just went to a Hospital show at a rehab center 160 cars no entrance fee free food drink and ice cream all day my kind of show . The best part i received a thank you letter for coming and a invite for next year in the mail today . I did have one interesting guy in his 55 Chevy that came late and parked next to me complaining about not having a handicap spot available for him 
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

lskip10

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
Hey we all like the recognition, but the trophy pales in comparison to sitting at the show, explaining the 8 track to young folks watching people smile and take personal pictures of our cars,  and to top it off, at a show I was at Saturday I know who will win most of the awards...but I hit a door prize $50 bucks cash. Better than a top 30 plaque any day :D

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »
I was working on a house the other day, and noticed the owner had 68 Camaro in the garage. Beautiful car, semi resto-mod. Guy was in his early 70's. We started talking cars, he goes on to tell me about all of the great shows in the area, all of which he either won best of show or best in class. Then he tells me about the crappy shows he will never go to again, because they were too small, not run right, out of the way, etc. etc., and he didn't win any trophies. Made me think of this thread.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA - Winter Project??
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold

lskip10

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 06:26:48 PM »
Those same guys are in every town in America.

restlessgypsy

• Active Forum Member
  • "A Dangerous Mind"
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 05:14:02 PM »
There are some interesting trophy winners around my area. I too do not go to shows for trophies, as I go to far many more cruises than shows. I love to look at cars, older the better. But I do take issue with a new Vette , New Mustang winning out over a really sweet classic in the same field! I guess plucking down a large sum of money for a new shiny car is a big deal to some judges.. And don't get me started on a PT cruiser ( with a chrome grill and chrome subs in the rear ) winning over an ol Charger or Challenger.. That guy knows most of the judges, but really?  But I still enjoy and have my friends that I chat with so it's all good!
Ron
75' Formula-400 - Hugger Orange ( Born Sterling Silver )
90' Trans Am GTA - White

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 05:14:02 PM »

FULZGOLD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 07:45:48 PM »
Saturday I will be going to a judged show for the first time. It's supposed to be pretty informal,  but I have to admit, I'm mainly going for the free breakfast spread...
1978 Y88 Trans Am
4-Speed
47k Mile Survivor

70TA Tony

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 08:06:06 PM »
Saturday I will be going to a judged show for the first time. It's supposed to be pretty informal,  but I have to admit, I'm mainly going for the free breakfast spread...

Clean your car to a point you are comfortable.  Then go and have some fun.  Enjoy the day!
Tony     '67 FB racecar,   '70 Trans Am,    '87GTA,   '94 25th Anv. TA,  '64 GTO

FULZGOLD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 05:09:57 AM »
I'll certainly enjoy. Here is the breakfast location:

1978 Y88 Trans Am
4-Speed
47k Mile Survivor

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 05:45:16 AM »
Pretty impressive. Where is this? Good luck. Looks kinda like where I'm heading on Saturday. Only I'm doing a road rally, the concours is on Sunday. (I wont have my car in that)
Restless Gypsy, I couldn't agree more about modern cars. I guess I am a snob that way but I cant stand seeing modern cars in classic car shows. I think there is a place for that kind of thing but not there.
Finished!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold

FULZGOLD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »
Mine is at a swanky country club. Hope they've seen Caddyshack, because I've got a little Rodney Dangerfield in me. lol
1978 Y88 Trans Am
4-Speed
47k Mile Survivor

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »
Fulzgold, I'm sure you will have fun, sounds kinda like me too, The event I'm heading to is a fox hunting club that was started 100 years ago by all of the upper crusties from MainLine Philly. I too will most likely be out of place.
Finished!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold

FULZGOLD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 08:56:41 PM »
Had a great time today! My friend was there with his 60 Vette. Breakfast was phenomenal. Super hosts. About 80 cars, pre-war to new. Looking forward to next year already. Try to post pics tomorrow.
1978 Y88 Trans Am
4-Speed
47k Mile Survivor

Gold member

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 05:25:49 AM »
Went to one yesterday no entrance fee dash plaques free pizza for everyone and awards for three cars all with no complainers good show .
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

FULZGOLD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 05:56:25 AM »
Pics from yesterday:

1978 Y88 Trans Am
4-Speed
47k Mile Survivor

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 05:56:25 AM »
You can help support TAC!