Author Topic: Buy complete engine or rebuild - opinions  (Read 934 times)

T/A Addict

• Active Forum Member
Buy complete engine or rebuild - opinions
« on: March 29, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
What are thoughts on buying a complete ready to run motor from somewhere like KRE, Butler etc. or building your own 455?
Building your own would be cheaper correct?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:21:55 AM by T/A Addict »
Jeff
2016 Victory Cross Country
TATA '72 455 HO Auto
79 T/A 403 Solar Gold
69 F'Bird P-Touring T/A tribute to be
2010 Challenger R/T  PCP

Tyler

• Active Forum Member
  • 859-613-3093
      • TNR Motorcycle & ATV
Re: Buy complete engine or rebuild - opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
Depend how in depth you go when doing it your self. I wouldn't mind buying a complete motor from a reputable builder as long as they would build it the way I wanted. Then again,I also like being able to tell people "I build it". When I find me a 455 I will do it myself.
Speed limits are for everyone else!

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:12:36 PM »
A KRE or Butler engine will be $10k plus, depending on options. If you have that much to spend, go for it !

From what I've been reading, on several Pontiac forums, to buy all the top quality parts, and have all the correct machine work, done by a GOOD Pontiac savvy machine shop, to both the short block & heads, plus having them CORRECTLY assemble the bottom end, getting all the clearances right, then you install your own cam & top end--will cost $5000 + -- unless you already have some of the parts and/or have a real good buddy who will do the correct machine work really cheap and/or you can do some of the bottom end assembly work yourself.

So, if you will spend more, the same, or only slightly less, doing some of the work yourself, why not consider buying from a lesser known Pontiac engine builder, like Len Williams. You can check out his prices, then price all the parts & machine work, wherever you can buy 'em the cheapest, and compare the two. You might be surprised at how much it will cost, to buy all he parts & have a local shop build it. And, your local shop may not know anything about Pontiac engines. These guys can really mess one up. I'm a victim. :(

http://lenwilliamsautomachine.com/Home.html

Then, there's one more option. You can take a chance on an engine from an individual. Yes, you can get burned. But, you might also find a bargain.

I have a good pump gas 455 for sale. After the cam was broke in, the car made a couple of blasts on a small country road. Wasn't able to take it to the track, like I'd planned. Have cranked it once a month since then. Pulled it out of the '68 Bird last week, & sold the roller.

About all it needs is a smaller cam, to be very streetable. It was built by a long time, and well respected member of the PY forum. It has a 500813 block & 6x-8 heads with stainless valves & 7/16 studs, 1.52 CC roller tip rockers, & lots of other stuff.

I'll sell it complete, or just the short block, or any combination in between. And I'll pay shipping, thru Fastenal, up to $200. My price is a LOT cheaper than you could possibly build the same engine for. And it's just barely broke in.

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=76549.msg717925#msg717925

Can send detailed pics, and can put you in touch with the engine builder, and another Pontiac friend, both of whom worked on the car, tuned the engine, & saw it run. Hey, I could be a scam artist, just trying to put a junk motor off on some innocent soul. BUT, this could also be a good quality engine, for a great price. Anybody seriously interested can contact me by PM, Email or phone.

Email:  ba455@outlook.com

Phone: 1-318-259-8813
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:14:31 PM by oldskool »

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »
There are ways to get better value for the money then going with the big guys. There are 1 or 2 guys on this forum that build motors for others that I would trust and would save you some money or at least get you better parts for the same money. This is also true if you look over on the 'perfromanceyears forum" as there are quite a few builders there too and guys have used them and will tell you who is good. I think I'd also factor in how close one of these reputable builders is to you, in case they are close enough to drive to and get your motor or check on it half way through the build.

Saying all that, I bought a complete top end from Butler(way across the continent and in another country) even though SD performance(very reputable, does good work and is super busy) is one province over from me in Canada. I could have gotten more for my money from SD, but SD is too busy for a one man show and others have sometimes complained it's hard to get a short delivery or a call back or time frame commitments from him.

If you have the talent and time you could get a ready to assemble setup from Butler and most or all of the others and save some money, But you will be doing all the measuring to double check the machining was done right and that really is an important step you don't want to skip or mess up.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:40:56 PM »

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:40:56 PM »

T/A Addict

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 03:56:54 AM »
Thanks for all the great input, points all well taken. Thanks for the links oldskool. Those are always possibilities for sure.
This thought started because I was planning to do an LS/6 speed swap but am starting to reconsider staying more classic with a 455 or 400 mated to a 6 spd (possible right?).

While it would be convenient to buy a motor, put it in and go and some point in my life I would like to build one and be able to say "yea I did that!" All food for thought as my mind runs 100mph trying to weed through all the winding paths that are available.
Jeff
2016 Victory Cross Country
TATA '72 455 HO Auto
79 T/A 403 Solar Gold
69 F'Bird P-Touring T/A tribute to be
2010 Challenger R/T  PCP

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »
"...am starting to reconsider staying more classic with a 455 or 400..."

:grin: