2020-B1-1

Author Topic: 89 20th anniversary Indy Turbo T/A  (Read 1257 times)

kjp

• Active Forum Member
89 20th anniversary Indy Turbo T/A
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
So, I went to look at a '89 Turbo T/A for sale locally. Car is a clean 18k orig mile one. Looks exactly as described, all there, factory paint, etc... Go to start the car, nothing. No solenoid or starter noises, just a few lights on the dash and the gauges move. Engine was relatively cool to the touch. Few minutes later, we try again, fires right up. I'm thinking at this point loose connection or bad ignition switch (had same switch problem on my 66 GTO). On the test drive the down pipe blows off where the owner had removed the cat converter for a straight pipe. Restarted the car OK after the test drive when it was warmed up. Problem is I like the car and how clean it is, but I am at my vacation location and don't need a car with potential electrical gremlins, and don't have a lot of my tools with me. The exhaust is an easy fix, any local shop can tack weld the pipe in place. If I were home I would weld it myself. Owner said he had the trans rebuilt a few years ago as well. I'm thinking trans rebuild before 18k?? Any thoughts or suggestions from the group? Owner wants a little over $20k for it.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 89 20th anniversary Indy Turbo T/A
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 12:07:20 PM »
Let me tell you a story about my '98 T/A a few weeks ago.  The car wouldn't start after I let a family member moved it in my driveway.  After turning the key a bunch of times and giving a "once-over" with relays/wiring for a few days, I ended up finding out she left the shifter halfway between Park and Reverse.  This caused the car to not start and ignition cylinder didn't feel correct. 

End of the story....once I put the automatic shifter fully engaged into Park, it fired up and I haven't had an issue with starting it since. 

wqcode

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 12:26:22 PM »
could find your answer at turbotransam.com

kjp

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »
yep, we tried the neutral switch too, moving it from park to neutral, turn key nothing. Back to park, turn key nothing. After a few more min, tried again without touching anything else and it fired right up.

the turbo site was talking about VATS a bit, but the security light wasn't flashing which may signify that issue. Also from that site there are a few electrical gremlins it could be. Nothing that major, but on a car that I may want to drive across the country home or leave here for a vacation ride, doesn't sound too promising. Going to see what the owner gets done to to fix it.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4