Author Topic: 77/78 Headlight support + Bumper Filler repair of broken tabs  (Read 1031 times)

Clearblue22

• Active Forum Member
77/78 Headlight support + Bumper Filler repair of broken tabs
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:25:58 PM »
Gents,

I've been debating the best way to repair the fiberglass tabs which attach the bumper to the radiator support brackets just beneath the headlights. Both sides are completely broken on mine, I can't even find any clear pictures of what its supposed to look like. Anybody do any DIY repairs? As of now I've been debating drilling some holes in washers and screwing them into the fiberglass where the holes should be and putting some epoxy on them as well. I don't know though, I suspect the hole was originally oblong to provide some adjustment.  Thanks for the insight!

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 77/78 Headlight support + Bumper Filler repair of broken tabs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:13:33 PM »
I did a post on this years ago, I will check as suspect it no longer exists but the photos do. I did similar to what you are thinking but with flat plate to create a larger surface area to bond to.

Very common fault as nose cones are removed with bumper assemblies in place which are super heavy and when say down on the ground only these small extensions are there to support the weight.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:45:22 PM by Aus78Formula »

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »
Ok appears long gone and so does the later versions as I had to repost these previously.

Here's some pics of what I did. I made an aluminium replacement for the missing tab parts, then made top and bottom panels to sandwich them altogether with enough overlap to make strong and bonded the entire section together with Liquid Steel paste. I had to get the measurements off another member for where the holes went.

Mine were both broken like so, as nearly always are when a nose cone and bumper assembly i rested on the ground:

frontend bracket missing by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

nose cone broken pad by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Here's some photos and measurements another member took:
78 Nose cone inner bracket bolts3 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

78 Nose cone inner bracket bolts2 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
78 Nose cone inner bracket bolts1 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

And here's mine with sandwich plates in place, and then drilled and tested. Because the support bracket is adjustable up and down the extra thickness of a thin sheet on the nosecone inner has no affect on panel alignment. And you could get away with having the hole incorrect and it would still work too.

nose cone broken pad repairs4 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

nose cone broken pad repairs3 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

nose cone broken pad repairs2 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

nose cone broken pad repairs1 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

nosecone bracket repair5 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

nosecone bracket repair4 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

nosecone bracket repair3 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

nosecone bracket repair2 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

nosecone bracket repair1 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

I originally had matching longer tabs on the top sandwich as per the bottoms, can't recall now but shortened them as them came close to headlight buckets I think, still many times stronger than originally. When bolted to the radiator support brackets they effectively clamp the plates either side of the fibreglass core as well.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:18:35 AM by Aus78Formula »

Clearblue22

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:52:02 AM »
Thanks! Much better than the idea I had bouncing around in my head. Did the fix yesterday, will test fit today before the car heads in for paint.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 05:04:04 AM »
I just restored the old photos in this topic on how I repaired the broken fibreglass mounting points.

I have also just cleaned up the inner support and finished in a mid-grey similar to the bare fibreglass before I had it soda blasted. Here are a few more recent photos showing the completed repair that is very strong. When this post was completed there was no repro version available so patching up an original was the only choice. I also had a good undamaged inner support shipped over from the US purchased off a forum member but it was completely destroyed on arrival, so this repair came about.

Firebird nosecone inner support repainted repaired (2) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird nosecone inner support repainted repaired (1) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird nosecone inner support repaired bracket pads (1) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird nosecone inner support repaired bracket pads (2) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird nosecone inner support repaired bracket pads (3) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird nosecone inner support repaired bracket pads (4) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird nosecone inner support repaired bracket pads (5) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:15:24 AM by Aus78Formula »

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 05:04:04 AM »

sreta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 10:58:52 PM »
Neat as always !

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:17:18 PM »
Thanks! I think it was your leather seatbelt sleeves post that finally convinced me to go that way also. It was only an idea until then.

sreta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 12:33:31 AM »
Yup, that was me :D

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 12:44:36 AM »
Along with my sketches I also provided a print of your photo...saying...something like this!

cyber104

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
Wow - I'm super impressed - you did a GREAT job on that repair!

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
Thanks, it's an old thread and I'd do things differently in some areas, but it should be ok.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »
While on topic, has anyone seen the 6 grille screw plugs available in black as per originally? I have 3 sets, all are white/clear which is visible once grilles screwed in place so no good. One set was much larger and never going to fit anyway, doesn't stop them selling them still. However it came with goods screws.

Doesn't matter, I went and dyed them flat black with plastic bumper spray.

14820 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:42:57 AM by Aus78Formula »

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »
You can help support TAC!