Author Topic: 1968 Camaro Resto-mod 6.0/6 speed; Project Penny Pincher  (Read 80972 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 1968 Camaro Resto-mod 6.0/6 speed; Project Penny Pincher
« Reply #560 on: July 20, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
Wow! Those look awesome! Great progress. You will have a car soon!
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #561 on: July 29, 2018, 01:26:10 AM »
Great progress...paint looks terrific!
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #562 on: July 29, 2018, 04:11:41 AM »
Just caught up, so much progress!  Definitely feels like you're in the home stretch.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #563 on: August 06, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I can't wait to drive this car on the road!

Thanks for the positive feedback. Getting really excited and after the work over the last two weeks, I'm really starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've been keeping busy on the car but haven't been able to update here. Now that all panels but the hood and spoiler are painted, it was time to bring them home and start assembling this car. I started by putting on the deck lid and cowl purely because I ran out of counter space to put it. Took just a few mins to get it aligned and the deck lid fits very nicely, but the cowl is just sitting there for now.

I decided to change gears and focus on finalizing the mount for my A/C compressor. I needed to move the mounts up 2" to allow the belt tensioner to clear the sway bar. I am also moving the mounts to run on the rear 4 ribs of the compressor verse the front 4 ribs as the mount was originally designed. This will allow me a little more room to clear the motor mount. In conjunction of moving the mounts up 2", forward ~.3" and running a .5" spacer under the sway bar mounts everything will fit and work happily together.

I made sure to clamp it down to a flat piece of 3/4" plate to ensure that it didn't warp when welded.

I took this to my dad's house to weld and didn't get pictures of it in process. I brought it home and it fits great. Everything lines up just like it should so I'm very pleased.

Test fitting the compressor I was very pleased. It fit just like I wanted it to and the pulleys lined up quite nicely as well.

Now that the lower mount is confirmed to fit with all of my components, I'm going to hold off on modifying the upper mounts until after the car is running/driving. I'm not ready for the Vintage Air at this point, so it can be put off. My biggest concern was making sure I could test fit the compressor to be sure that it will live happily in the low mount position. Moving on, I could now I could start installing some of the freshly painted body panels. First up was the passenger side door.

I decided to take a chance and drill some 1/8" holes through the doors and hinges to help with the re-installation after paint. I'm so glad that I did too. This took me all of about 15 mins to get the gaps. So glad I took the time to gap and get the body lines. Really pays off when I stepped back and checked it out.

I couldn't get as good of pictures on the driver's side as it's pretty tight against my work bench. But I used the same techniques and mounted the other side. I couldn't be happier with the fitment. 

On a non-car related update, I made this as a gift for my wife for our 7 year wedding anniversary. According to tradition, 7 years is the copper anniversary so I found some plans to make a copper rose for her. It turned out really nicely.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #564 on: August 06, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »
Next up on my list was preparing to install my front fenders. There were a few things that I needed to do before I could put them on. First was to repair my factory heater box. It had some rust on the lower section that needed to be repaired. I picked up another box at Spring Carlisle this year and it will make a perfect candidate to cut out my patch panel.

I also had to replace this rusty stud and mounting tab.

And all painted up. I didn't spend a ton of time on it as it will be removed when I install Vintage Air in the future.

Next up was replacing the stock springs that were in the car with who knows how many miles on them. I picked up a set of DSE 1" drop springs for LS/SBC a while back so it was time to swap them out. The old shocks put up the biggest fight, but eventually came out. I ended up having to torch off the top nuts. What a smoky mess that was when the rubber bushings caught on fire...

Should stiffen up the ride. Noticeable difference in the diameter of the coils.

All back together.

While I was repairing and painting the heater box, I was cleaning up and painting my fiberglass inner fenders.

After I assembled the inner and outer fenders, I did a first test fit. Luckily before I disassembled the car I took note of the number of shims in each location that helped tremendously. The fender almost fell right into place when I reinstalled. So happy, it's starting to look like a car again.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD

« Reply #564 on: August 06, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #565 on: August 06, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »
Before I could install the passenger side fender, I had to clean up and install the outer heater box. I used some seam sealer to seal up the box and will pull the inner box to install the heater core. I think I'm going to have to run a big block heater core in order to clear the LS motor. If not I'm going to run a block off plate and eventually upgrade to a BBC heater to allow for more space.

And here is the moment I have been waiting for, for along time.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #566 on: August 06, 2018, 10:44:30 AM »
Looks great Ryan, panel alignment and gaps look perfect. All of your time has payed off. I like the rose too. I bet you scored some major brownie points for that one!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #567 on: August 06, 2018, 02:57:14 PM »
Wow! Car looks awesome! The rose is really cool too. I will take up metal art when I retire, it's fun too.

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #568 on: August 06, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »
Love the red Ryan.  Congrats on the progress...Are those the rims you'll be using in the end?  They are a nice look...modern but not too much so.
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=69897.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #569 on: August 07, 2018, 01:01:42 AM »
Here I was afraid I'd be the only one to say how awesome the rose was. :lol:  See now you can say how all the time working on the car benefits her. :lol:

Also yes he went out his way to find the BMW Parallel and to make sure they'd fit and work, kind of help modernize it somewhat and be different than everyone else using the same thing as everyone else.  I'm looking at you Torque Thrust...

78TA_In87

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #570 on: August 07, 2018, 02:38:27 AM »
darn that paint looks GREAT!!  I can almost smell it!!
PONTIAC - We (Did) Build EXCITEMENT!!

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #571 on: August 07, 2018, 05:58:21 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm so pumped to be this close to having the car back on the road.

Tom, Yes those are the wheels that I plan on running for now. I'm certainly not the first person to use the M Parallel wheels on muscle cars, but they are a very reasonable 18" wheel if you can find them. I found a set that a guy had listed as generic BMW wheels and talked him down to $675 with almost new rear tires and decent front tires. I had been finding them all over for about $1k for a set of 4 wheels. The best part is the guy was only a 2 hour drive away.

The fronts fit perfectly, but the rears need a small spacer. I'm currently running a 1" wheel adapter in the rear, but I may actually step down to a 1/2" or 3/4" as there is plenty of room between the tire and the inner to move inward.

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #572 on: August 07, 2018, 08:27:47 AM »
Car looks fantastic.

I feel like I'm playing "where's Waldo", I don't see the rose... :-?
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #573 on: August 07, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »
Really great work! You did a really nice job on the paint. Body work and paintis something I want to learn how to do. Looking really good!
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #574 on: August 09, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »
Coming along very nicely.  8)
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

« Reply #574 on: August 09, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #575 on: August 13, 2018, 08:46:30 AM »
It must have been late when I installed the passenger door and fender because the gaps weren't quite right. Too tight on the quarter/door gap and too loose on the fender/door gap. I also noticed that the front bottom edge of the door just kissed the rocker. So after about 4 times removing/reinstalling the fender and adjusting the door I was finally happy and tightened them down for good. The door now has clearance around everything so I don't have to worry about the painted edges.

Next up was figuring out how to mount the ECU down. I had to move it back a little from where I originally had it mounted so that I could give the harness more slack. It was too tight before. I also had to balance between the battery, fender, and being able to service it if needed. I used some aluminum stock from my metal bin and it worked great. I was originally going to use something more substantial, but it's super solid with this mount so I'm happy.

And with it mounted I can easily pull the computer out if needed.

Moving on to my engine accessories, I finally bought a power steering pressure line. I knew that the fittings were correct for my application from a stock 98-02 Fbody Camaro, so I took a chance on it knowing I would likely need to bend the lines. It ended up working quite well after quite a bit of tweaking. I'm hoping that I won't have any leaks from all the bending when I go to start it up, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I also have been going back and forth about whether or not to swap out the 5.3 for the LS1 now rather than later. Mainly becuase I know that the 5.3 runs good, but at the end of the day, I would prefer having the LS1 engine. So... I'm going to put the LS1 together now and confirm whether or not it's a solid running engine. I bought it as a complete shortblock a while back so I'm curious to know if I actually got a good running motor. I'm going to put it together and make myself a budget LS6 engine. I have a pair of 799 heads, LS2 cam w/ front mount cam sensor, and just recently picked up an LS6 intake manifold. My plan will be to put the motor together over the next week, pull the 5.3 while it's still relatively easy to pull, and put the LS1 in and confirm that it's a good running motor.

Yesterday, I pulled the heads off of my parts shelf to see how hard it would be to get those broken studs out. Thankfully, they both came right out with some PB Blaster and a pair of vice grips. Now they just need to be degreased badly.

Before:

After:

I'm hoping by the weekend that I will know whether or not the LS1 engine will be installed for good. It would be good to shave off some lbs. and gain some HP.

Cheers,
Ryan

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #576 on: August 19, 2018, 01:45:52 PM »
Cool build dude!!

I bet it feels good to see it together as much as it is!!

nice work
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #577 on: August 21, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »
Thanks Nexus and yes, it feels great. It will feel even better when I get it running/driving again!

Been taking a break from working on the car to get some yardwork done and spending time with my family. I did get a little motivation last night and am moving forward on assemblying the LS1 engine to confirm whether or not it is worth swapping for the 5.3. I started by reinstalling and torquing the rear plate. Made sure to tighten and align it with the oil pan, so there was a proper seal before torquing down. Also installed the flywheel so that it can be started.

Then I spun the engine around and installed the LS2 cam, sprocket, and timing chain. Torqued everything down as I was going. Followed by the oil pump and timing cover. I will be removing the timing cover though as I broke the cam sensor. A new one will be ordered soon.

After I removed the broken studs from the one head, I cleaned them up with some Purple Power. It really does a great job removing grime. Just make sure to rinse with water as it can corrode the aluminum if it's not washed off.

Before:

After:

I've also got the lifters soaking in new oil waiting to be installed.

Before I install the cylinder heads I need to pick up a set of stock LS6/LS2 springs for the added lift of the LS2 cam. Hoping to have everything soon. I'm anxious to know whether or not this motor is good solid like the seller said!

Cheers,
Ryan

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #578 on: August 21, 2018, 07:32:44 AM »
Ryan, you crack me up (I mean this in the best way), youre so close and yet you change gears, pardon the pun, and go a diff. direction with the motor. Must be a youth thing. My son whose hobby is collecting and playing guitars does the same thing. As soon as he gets one he takes it apart and rebuilds it to suit his taste.
I hope the new motor turns out to be good and a strong runner. No better time than now to swap things out.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #579 on: August 21, 2018, 07:55:13 AM »
I know Kerry. I'm sure that on the outside I look nuts, (which maybe I am) but at the end of the day I think I'll be wanting more power pretty shortly after getting the car going. I'm also at a point where this project has left me near broke, so I'm hoping that I can possibly put the LS1 engine together pretty cheap, and sell the 5.3 to give me the last push to get my glass and the last few bits to actually drive it this year. All that is assuming the LS1 is healthy. You are right too now is the time. The drivetrain is actually just sitting in the car now, the trans mount is tight, but the engine mounts just have bolts stuck through. It would take me all of 20 mins to pull at this point.

Just to clarify also, I'm not going to disassemble the 5.3 at all beyond a few sensors and motor mounts that I need to borrow. That way if the LS1 turns out to be a turd, I'm just out a few hours of assembling the LS1 motor and can just reinstall the 5.3/6 speed.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #580 on: August 21, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
How do the cylinders look?

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #581 on: August 21, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »
It is pretty cool to have the ability and where-with-all to be able to have to make a decision on pull out your iron 5.3 to try out your aluminum LS1...Just to see if it runs OK before you take it out to build it as an LS6.   Congrats on the progress Ryan.
I don't know if it was intentional, but I saw a close up of the 'stamping' on the head.  Just out of curiosity, can you tell us anything about reading/deciphering those #'s?   You mention that you have a set of '799' heads...Where is that indicated and what are the 799's from? (Does that denote LS6 heads?).

Kerry, how old is your son?  My 16yr old has been playing guitar for a couple years and has recently expressed an interest in taking one (or more) of his  guitars apart to make some changes.  Does your kid have much experience with that as a hobby?

Looking forward to seeing the Camaro fired up Ryan! Looks close!

-Tom
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=69897.0

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #582 on: August 22, 2018, 07:08:31 AM »
The cylinders all look good. It's hard to know whether or not someone is telling the truth, but he told me that the car had 70k miles and he was pulling it to put in a 408 stroker motor. The car was right next to the engine when I bought it and confirmed it was 70k. I feel confident that it will be a good running motor.

Tom, the 799 heads are starting to become more common finds in pick and pull yards as they are the stock heads on 07+ Silverado/Sierras with 5.3/4.8 and also came on some of the 05+ Trailblazers with 5.3. Mine set came from an 06 Trailblazer. The 799 heads share the same castings as the 243 heads which are the stock heads for LS6 and LS2 engines. The LS6 243 heads that came in Z06 Corvette's came with lightweight valves, where all of the others are the standard weight valves. As for cfm flow characteristics, the 799/243 are identical but cast at different manufacturing plants.

The 243/799 head swap is a very common combination on LS1 engines as they offer a slight bump in compression with the 64cc chambers verse the 67cc chambers on the 241/853 (both are stock LS1 heads). They also flow significantly more CFM at all lift numbers which is mostly where the added HP comes from. Most people will pick up 50-80 HP swapping heads/cam/intakes.

I'm hoping to be in the 375 RWHP ballpark with the 799 heads, LS6 intake, LS2 cam, headers and CAI.

Forgot to add, I got a great deal on an LS6 intake last week.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #583 on: August 22, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
Looks good Ryan, pardon my ignorance, but is the intake plastic?
Tom, I will email you.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #584 on: August 23, 2018, 06:14:54 AM »
Kerry, the intake is composite. I believe that all new GM v8 motors come with plastic/composite intakes. Unless they are supercharged :cool:

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #585 on: August 23, 2018, 06:41:44 AM »
Ok, I thought it looked like it, but what the heck do I know? makes sense as its got to save a few pounds off the bottom line.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

fixitrht

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #586 on: August 25, 2018, 03:23:31 PM »
Looking good ryan

My cars
77 400 4 SPEED W72 Y81 SE
73 455 4 SPEED TA Brewster (Waiting Restoration)
80 455 (Fun car)
87 GTA 5.7 (Driver)
71 Firebird (New Project)

tribute

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #587 on: August 26, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »
You do amazing work.  Car and rose both look great.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #588 on: August 27, 2018, 08:33:34 AM »
I appreciate all of the positive feedback. Helps keep me motivated.

I got a little bit more done during the week last week and weekend assembling the LS1. While I was waiting for parts, I decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and modify my block to allow for my LS6 valley cover. It requires cutting an unused boss from the block. Since I was working late, I had to get creative and use something that was quiet. I used my hack saw with a brand new blade. It surprisingly worked quickly, was precise and didn't make much of a mess. I think I would do it this way again if I had to do it all over. I made sure to cover everything and isolated just this area. Worked very well and vacuumed out the remaining bits before I removed the cover.

Not beautiful, but worked well and clears the PVC under the valley cover.

Now it's all ready for some heads. I started by fully disassembling them as I will be swapping to the blue LS6/LS3 springs.

I still wasn't happy with how clean the heads were so I sprayed them down again with degreaser and power washed them inside and out. I was happy after the power washing, but there is still some corrosion on the heads I can't seem to clean it off. Does anyone have any tips for getting that machined finish again? Part of it is just dull, but some has some hazy type of corrosion.

You can see the corrosion in this picture. After I power washed them, I thought it would be a good idea to lap the valves to ensure I had a good seal while it was all apart anyway. Glad I did as I found one very slightly bent intake valve.

Finally the blue LS6 springs came in and I installed them. Well all but the one bent intake valve. I still need to track one down.

Doesn't sound like I did much, but it was time consuming to clean 130k miles of junk off of the intake and exhaust valves. My one buddy may have an intake valve so I should be able to get this back together this week once I finish the other head. Then I can see if my hard work has paid off.

T A Troy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #589 on: August 27, 2018, 06:44:31 PM »

You may try a product called aluma bright for cleaning 18 wheeler trailers, You should be able to find it at the parts house. I would try some on another piece just to see how the finish is and if you like it before doing the complete head. It will clean them and give them a brighter kind of raw aluminum look.

The car is really nice and you should be very happy of what you have accomplished.

Troy

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #590 on: August 30, 2018, 08:34:37 AM »
Thanks Troy, I'll give that a try. I've been working the last few days and had enough to post an update. I finished lapping all of the valves and thankfully there was only the one intake valve that was bent. I called a buddy and he had an extra one so I'm good to go after I lap and install that last valve and spring.

I also was curious what the fuel rails will look like that I picked up earlier this year at a swap meet. I would need to create a few hold down brackets for them, but I really do like the way they look over the stock rails. I think they were on a SBC before so I would need to shorten the front line slightly to line up properly. I would only need one fitting to complete the swap, so I'm probably going to do that but may hold off until this winter.

After months of work, I finally painted the last two pieces of my car! Huge milestone. I laid down a few coats of epoxy primer, then shot 3 coats of base.

Then 3 coats of clear.

Unfortunately, when I was spraying last night there was a storm that started and must have drove the bugs inside. I ended up getting about a dozen bugs in the clear. Thankfully they didn't land in the base coat, so I should be able to just carefully sand them out, but I may need to re-clear some of it. I need to see what my buddy says, but either way I'm running it this summer/fall haha.

Overall I'm stoked that I was able to prep and paint 99% of my car. I'm super lucky that my buddy was busy this summer and didn't need the use of his booth. Until just recently when he said that he's got a long term project coming in and needed the space again. Maybe this winter I'll bring the hood back and fix the bug issues.

I ordered some parts from RockAuto as well to hopefully be the last parts I'll need for a while. I broke the front cam sensor when I was trying to remove it, so I picked up a new AC Delco front cam sensor. As well as a new belt, tensioner and head gaskets. I'm hoping that they come by Saturday so that I can put my heads on and torque them down. I hate waiting for parts...

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #591 on: August 30, 2018, 02:13:22 PM »
Shame about the bugs, but like the old saying goes, "that'll buff out". My guess is that once youre done with it you will be the  only person to know where they were. Things are coming together nicely.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

T A Troy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #592 on: August 30, 2018, 05:15:41 PM »
  I am glad it worked for you Ryan. I have also used it in the past but some people say it is to hard of a cleaner. I am sorry to see that happened with the bugs. Depending on how deep they sank in the clear they should be able to be sanded out and buffed but never the less that is very aggravating when that happens. There is nothing more aggravating than when those little critters decide to check out the finish up close like that and it is not dry yet. Again the car looks great and is really something to be proud of.
Troy

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #593 on: August 30, 2018, 08:27:35 PM »
Are you sure you're not a body man? Looks like you have out done myself and others as well. You talent is something to be proud of, as is your creation. Keep up the amazing (magazine worthy) work. I am jealous. Ah, and don't worry about the bugs, like Roadking said, "that'll buff out".

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #594 on: August 30, 2018, 11:26:37 PM »
Bugs ruin everything, stupid bugs...

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #595 on: August 31, 2018, 08:27:35 AM »
I'm hoping that they will buff out. I'm debating now whether or not to see if I can just buff it out now and shoot a few more coats of clear. I may just wait until winter though so there aren't any bugs :cool:

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
« Reply #596 on: August 31, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
Ryan, when my painter did a single stage job on my daily truck a huge mosquito had landed in the hood.  After a few washes it was gone and I couldn't tell you where on the hood it was at.  Hopefully you will have the same experience.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #597 on: August 31, 2018, 04:04:07 PM »
I had one bug get into the clear coat when I did my car. I made the mistake of trying to get it out right away. I got it out but it left a spot. I know where it is but doubt anyone else could find it. I like Mr Bandits idea.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #598 on: September 05, 2018, 01:36:31 PM »
Big step forward over this long weekend. RockAuto came through for me and had my parts by Saturday evening. Once I received them I got right to work. I was determined to get this motor together and confirm that it runs. Along with new head gaskets, I also picked up a new tensioner, belt, ARP balancer bolt and front cam sensor.

After reading a lot on others that have built LS motors, it was important to confirm that there isn't any debris left in the holes for the cylinder head bolts. Since I didn't want to spend the money on one of the head bolt chasers, I opted to make my own out of an old head bolt. I flattened two sides of the threads and then de-burred the edges of the thread to make sure that I didn't cause any damage to the threads.

It worked great, and cleaned out some gunk from the threads. Most came out clean though. I taped off the cylinders so that nothing fell into the bores or lifters.

If you remember a while back I picked up a forged LS1 with World heads. Well right around the time we were moving, I opted to part it out and sell parts from it. I ended up making about $3k profit on it because I picked it up so cheap. The best part was I kept the 7.4" Comp push rods and ARP head bolts. The bolts were only torqued once and the comp push rods were only installed. The motor never ran, so they are like new parts.

Here's where the motor transformed from a short block to a long block. Head bolts are all torqued down to 75 lbs. or 25lbs. with brand new MLS gaskets.

Since I installed the new LS6 valley cover, I chose the valve covers with the least amount of ports on them to avoid having to plug them off. In doing so I noticed that the valve covers that came off of the 799 heads were stamped '12 and '14? Not sure if it was a factory recall or if one or both of the heads were replaced at any point. The one head does look newer than the other one, but I'm not sure how to tell from the stampings on the heads when they were cast.

Next up was transferring any missing components to the new motor. Sensors, plugs and etc. I also pressed on the truck pulley with my installation tool I bought several years ago. Worked like a charm.

Then I dropped the motor in and bolted everything back onto the motor and made all the connections. After chasing around a cam sensor DTC, I found out that I had two wires swapped. Switched those over and the error went away. I also primed the motor with the injector fuse pulled. I cranked the motor over until I saw pressure show up on my gauge. I also pulled off the valve covers to confirm that the oil made its way through the whole valve train before I thought about starting it.

Then I spent the good part of the afternoon building a base tune for my car. I used the stock tune file from a 2004 Z06 Corvette and borrowed the VE tables, timing, MAF, and a few other misc tables. After troubleshooting a fueling issue, I ended up spraying a little starting fluid into the intake and then it fired right off. I didn't have any coolant in the system so it idled a little high, but settled right down. Once it fired up and ran I was very happy. It was 90* yesterday when I was working on it, so hot and happy.

In between waiting for the battery to charge and downloading the latest version of HP tuners, I installed the rear spoiler, tail lights, fuel filler neck, and gas cap. I've been waiting a while to see the completed rear of the car. Just need put the bumper on when someone can help me so I don't scratch anything. I'm not sure how I feel about the 67 tail lights yet, but I'll likely swap over to the 68 RS tails at some point.

I'm hoping over the next week to swap over the LS7 clutch, 6 speed, Holley oil pan and get it all re-installed back into the car. Then I can finish reinstalling the rest of the front end. I ordered my glass last week, so it should be installed sometime next week. If all goes well I'm hoping over the next few weeks I'll get it done enough for an inspection so I can put some miles on the car!

Cheers,
Ryan

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #599 on: September 05, 2018, 02:50:40 PM »
Getting closer and closer.  Looks great.  I like the '68 tail lights better than the '67 also, but the '67s look pretty good on it now so swapping would get pushed to the bottom of the list.
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

« Reply #599 on: September 05, 2018, 02:50:40 PM »
You can help support TAC!