2020-B2-5

Author Topic: 1968 Camaro Resto-mod 6.0/6 speed; Project Penny Pincher  (Read 97994 times)

AirBird1

• Active Forum Member
Re: 1968 Camaro Resto-mod 6.0/6 speed; Project Penny Pincher
« Reply #440 on: March 15, 2018, 08:15:58 PM »
Just read through your whole thread Ryan, Awesome work.  I vote for the cowl hood, clean and mean and it fits your wheel selection better.  That is a Great look and has a nice stance to it. Thanks for sharing your build,  I may need to steal your clothes hanger idea for my door gaps! Thanks Randy

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #441 on: March 19, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
Thanks for all of the feedback on the hood choices. I came to realize this weekend that with the repairs that the SS hood needs, it's going to be much quicker to go with the cowl hood. For me it really came down to being as simple as that. The cowl hood is brand new, and the SS hood is an original hood that needs several small patches that will be time consuming. I'm hoping that once the car is painted that I can have enough left over to spray the SS hood when I have more time prep and repair the hood.

Towards the end of last week I tightened up the fenders/doors/quarters and they are now in final fitment. With that done, I was able to see what needed to be addressed for my gapping and found that several areas needed to be slightly tweaked. I added some welds to the rear upper gap of the fender as it rolled down. Just enough to allow it to be flush, then added a skim coat of body filler.

I also had to add some filler rod to the upper rear lip of the door as it had a flaw in the curved edge. There was a visible flat spot where it needed to be rounded. I forgot to take a picture as I was working, but same steps as the driver's fender. I also added some weld to the lower edge at the rear of the door as it kicked in which is also a stamping flaw. Again, just a slight amount to bring my gaps where they needed to be.

I then scuffed the fender down and sprayed some etching primer. Once that dried, I put some a skim coat of filler down to bring my gaps and body lines where they need to be.

I didn't think that was too bad after two rounds of the skim coat filler! I definitely learned more quickly on this side.

Before I left for the night, I mixed up just a little more filler and filled in all the low spots that you see. Hoping to sand that off soon then this side should be ready for epoxy! Moving on to this Saturday, I made a trip to one of my favorite places... a pick a part yard. I needed some parts for my truck and there were a few things that I needed to pick up for the Camaro too. The biggest thing that I was looking for was a pair of door wiring boots. I was planning on installing some factory boots, but am finding out that others have had issues with those not having enough room when adding power windows and locks. I need them so that I can drill holes in the body and doors prior to paint. This sad IROC Camaro donated some door boots to my car, too bad as it wasn't in that bad of shape.

Another part that I have been trying to track down is a small part for the LS1 rear brakes that you cannot buy new. This little boot retainer for the e-brake cable. I have one good one and the other one rusted in half. I spent about 2 hours trying to get little part off because the car had the locking lug nuts with no key in sight. It's in excellent condition and they didn't even charge me for it! Score!

Now all of this pain and suffering was worth it when I found this note in the door of the Camaro from a nice assembly worker, Budd. Must have been a slow day on the assembly line, or possibly his last day before retirement? I would love to know this story haha. If you can't read it, "Smile Budd loves you"

Not sure what I am going to do with it, but I found a dirty but nice K&N filter. $2 bucks, Nice.

Some misc. wiring connectors.

I didn't need it, but I found this steering wheel for my truck from a loaded Tahoe. My truck originally came with a black steering wheel, but I upgraded to the wheel last year that had the steering wheel buttons. The catch was that it was tan (same color as my interior), but I didn't like it as it was too much tan. Plus my airbag says "GMC" and my truck is a Silverado. So now I can swap the wheels over and put my bowtie back on. :)

And my score of the day was a pair of 799 heads off of an 06 Trailblazer with the aluminum LM4 5.3 and only 123k miles. I was originally going to pull the whole motor, but forgot that the diff is bolted to the oil pan and I didn't have all the tools to pull the axles and etc... So I pulled just the heads. They are in great shape other than the two exhaust manifold studs that were broke. Luckly, they have enough of the stud sticking out that I can grab onto it with something.

...After I pulled the heads, I'm glad I didn't pull the motor. Another motor killed by the dreaded DOD lifter failure. The only damage from this carnage to the head was a tiny dent next to the spark plug. Very surprising actually.

I didn't get much work done on the car this weekend as I spent a good part of the day at this pick a part yard. Hoping to let my hands heal and get back to sanding this week.

Cheers,
Ryan

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #442 on: March 19, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »
I vote giant blower no hood.

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
« Reply #443 on: March 19, 2018, 02:13:20 PM »
I've always had a SS hood preference on 67-68's, but I like cowls on the 69'.
1979 Firebird v6 3spd manual (they do exist)

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #444 on: March 28, 2018, 07:09:39 AM »
I didn't get as much done this weekend as I thought, but still making progress. I finally finished up gapping the car and all of the body lines are finished enough for primer. I put the hood on and all of the lines are nearly perfect so I couldn't be happier. Some pictures of the lines and gaps with a light coat of etching primer.

And the body lines are looking nice and straight.

Another little task I needed to do was add some of the trim studs that fell off or were cut out. Pretty easy, just drilled a small hole and screwed them in.

Another cool score that I got was a pair of fiberglass inner fenders. I swapped them even for a set of old Rally wheels I had. It freed up some space in my garage and the metal inner's I have were rusty and needed quite a bit of cleanup. Another benefit is they are about a 1/3 the weight of the steel ones. I should only need to drill some holes for the bolts along the edge, scuff and paint.

And lastly, and probably most exciting is I finally picked a paint color. The color is GM Torch Red from mid 2000's C5's. Very excited to get this car painted, it has been a long journey. I actually found a car that was for sale a few years ago at Mecum Auctions that was painted the same color. Only difference is this car is a 67, but has the same RS grill. I think I'm going to eventually get a vinyl decal with the nose stripe just like this one. For now it will be a solid color and I'll be picking up the paint this Friday afternoon!

Equally exciting is I talked with my buddy and I am dropping the car off this Saturday to start with the final prepping before primer. Both my Dad and Father-in-Law have offered to help block sand on one of the next Saturday's. So I'm hoping that between the car being as close as it is with filler, and one whole day of blocking and priming with 3 guys we can get the car into final paint very soon. My buddy also agreed to let me spray the car and he would be there to guide me along the way. I'm pretty excited to have that experience as well.

Cheers,
Ryan

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #445 on: March 29, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
That's a nice color and good deal with all of the offered help.

Regards, Jack

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #446 on: March 29, 2018, 10:02:41 PM »
I have nothing nice to say on the colour choice, because I hate red, other than wooo colour picked out. :lol:

eroc022

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #447 on: March 30, 2018, 07:00:30 AM »
you can get the ls brake boots now..... i think they were on ebay through one of the vendors not too long ago. FYI

fixitrht

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #448 on: April 01, 2018, 08:25:24 PM »
Really nice, I just picked up some 779’s myself. Also picked up a procharger but going to have to fab up some plates to mount. So much fun! You always do such great work!

My cars
77 400 4 SPEED W72 Y81 SE
79 400 4 SPEED SE
73 455 4 SPEED TA Brewster (Waiting Restoration)
80 455 (Fun car)
87 GTA 5.7 (Driver)
75 LS TA

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #449 on: April 02, 2018, 07:00:14 AM »
Thanks for all of the support guys, really appreciate it. Evan, I saw that they were reproducing the boots, but what I was really after was the boot retainer that you cannot buy new. 799's will surely wake up the motor a little bit, although I will lose a little compression. But I have a feeling the boost will take car of that when the time comes.

« Reply #449 on: April 02, 2018, 07:00:14 AM »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #450 on: April 02, 2018, 07:02:06 AM »
Knowing that my self imposed deadline to get the car to my buddies body-shop was looming, I made a big push on Thursday night to get some last minute things buttoned up. I didn't get any pictures, but I welded up the cut I made on the driver's fender to match the contour of the upper valance panel. I also had to cut, flatten and weld up an imperfection at the top center bodyline on the lower valance panel. Once welded up I smoothed it right back down with a flap disk. Looks like it was never touched.

Next up was test fitting my new fiberglass inner fenders. They are so much lighter than the stock inners and they look almost identical to the stock ones. I had to drill the holes so they could bolt up to the fender, core support, and battery tray. I also had to cut holes for the RS headlight arm. Here it is all fit and installed. Very pleased with the fit and finish of the fenders.

Finally got to use the hole saw kit that I bought 5 months ago. Very pleased as it does such a nice job.

Now it bolts up just like it should.

Then when I was pulling the passenger fender off one last time for final fitment of the inner, I noticed this little sticker. It's a NOS fender! This one fit the best out of the two and that is why. When I was sanding the outside of the front I saw where someone wrote on the outside "1968 Camaro NOS", but I assumed it wasn't a real one since someone primed right over it. Nice!

Since I sold the truck coils, I needed to get the LS1 coils on so that I could get the car running to drive it on the trailer. I also got to install the brand new MSD wires I have had for a while.

It was a really warm day on Thursday so I had the garage doors open, and when I was cleaning things up I noticed this little guy. I'm thinking he stopped in to wish me luck.

Then Friday after work I stopped by the paint shop and dropped off a bunch of cash. In return I picked up all of my paint supplies, 2k primer, paint, clear, and everything needed to mix them all up. I also got tape, masking paper, and enough black paint for my dash board.

Then Saturday came and it was time to get the car to my buddies house. What a day... I had hoped that I could just swing by my Dad's pick up his trailer quick, drop my car off at my buddies and maybe get some primer on the car. Well it didn't work at all like that. Got to my dad's house, the trailer had a flat tire, turning signals didn't work and it wasn't registered. So after a half hour we fixed the flat and sorta got the signals working. I was only going about 5 miles down the road, so I wasn't overly concerned with just a trailer registration, but my Dad said he would try and register it online when I left. Then I get to the house, hook up my battery and the car will barely run. Sounds like it's running on about 4 cylinders. I check my scanner to see if there are any DTC's, and it has 10! 2 related to not having my cooling fans hooked up, and the other 8 are coil related codes. Something isn't right with those LS1 coils I swapped on... So not to be discouraged, I coasted my car down to the trailer and used the clutch to hold it in place. Lined it up on the trailer and used a ratchet strap to inch is up. Finally got it where I wanted it and strapped down and on my way, about 2.5 hours later than I wanted to be.

I got the car to a flat spot in my driveway and had to snap a few pictures as the sunshine was making for a perfect photo.

All in all, I can't really complain as I accomplished what I wanted to and after talking with my buddy we (me with his suggestive guidance) are going to bust ass to get this done by the end of April. Now she is sitting happy in someone else's garage. Not sure how I feel about that...

It feels really weird to have an empty spot in my garage.

I hate wishing away time, but I can't wait until the end of this month to see this car painted! It's so close I can almost taste it.

Cheers,
Ryan

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #451 on: April 02, 2018, 07:51:04 AM »
Wow! That is awesome! If you get this painted by the end of April you will have busted some serious butt and beat me too. Good luck man I can't wait to see it either.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:48:18 PM by FormTA »
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #452 on: April 02, 2018, 12:48:18 PM »
Just got caught up with your progress....its looking great!  :cool:
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #453 on: April 03, 2018, 07:41:02 AM »
Your day of moving the car sounds like me. It seems whenever I have things planned out to the minute there is a litany of things that go the other way. Glad you got it to the shop. I know what you mean by the empty garage. My car sat in the same spot for 4 years before it went to the shop, it was strange when I looked out there and it was gone. I took the opportunity to renovate the space when it was gone. 
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

fixitrht

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #454 on: April 03, 2018, 01:09:29 PM »
I can’t wait!

My cars
79 400 4 SPEED SE
80 455 (Fun car)
87 GTA 5.7 (Driver)
75 LS TA

« Reply #454 on: April 03, 2018, 01:09:29 PM »

2020-B1-8

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #455 on: April 04, 2018, 06:03:13 AM »
Thanks guys for all the positive feedback. I'm stoked to get this thing painted. I got my permission slip to work Wednesday's and Friday's after work with a good portion of Saturday's as well. I have a very understanding wife!  :cool:

Also was just looking at the calendar and it's been over 4 years now since I sold my old '76. Time sure flies...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #456 on: April 04, 2018, 02:02:14 PM »
That toad though, should make it the official mascot of this build.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #457 on: April 06, 2018, 12:33:18 PM »
Worked on the car for a few hours Wednesday night. My buddy helped me by spreading out some filler to smooth out the wavy quarter panels and trunk panel. It was amazing to watch him work and spread out the filler. It really is an art form to watch an experienced person do bodywork. I helped him block sand and we got the body looking really good.

After he went to bed, I stayed for another few hours getting some little things done. First thing on my list was making sure that the driver's side inner fender fit correctly. Because the inners are fiberglass I had to drill many of the holes. So it took a while to fit the inner to the outer, then put back on the car to make sure it fit right. Then take it back off drill a few more holes, rinse/lather/repeat. Once all the holes were drilled, I could focus on getting the holes drilled for the RS headlight lever.

Driver's side fits and clears everything, Nice!

Hoping to have the shell in primer over this weekend, but time will tell. Just gotta keep on truckin'.

Cheers,
Ryan

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #458 on: April 06, 2018, 12:39:52 PM »
Looking forward to Mondays post.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2018, 07:36:53 AM »
I didn't get a chance to work on my car at all last weekend (wife's grandfather passed), but I did get over to my buddies house last night. This time I made a list for myself to get things done if I get "lost".

I started off by finally getting to the lower cowl patch that I have been putting off. The little bit of rust needed to be cut out and replaced with new metal. I started off by cutting out the rusted areas, made cardboard templates, then welded the patches in. It's so much nicer working in my buddies shop with all the metal working tools. Metals brake, large anvil, and large IR compressor.

Then just when I thought I was done, I was wire wheeling this area and this popped up... Cut it out and make a little patch. I didn't bother grinding it down as nobody will see it.

Kinda tough to see, but all painted now.

Then we did a final test fit the rear bumper to make sure that it was going to fit properly. So glad we did because the hole was way off on the passenger side. We ended up having to elongate the hole about 5/8" to the rear and 1/2" up. The driver's side was really good, but we did have to shift the hole forward about 1/4" to be centered.

Earlier I found this template on a google search and used it as a reference to cut my holes. I found two people on Camaros.net that confirmed that the distance between the bumper hole and the first stud hole on the marker light was 4 3/4". I used those measurements along with the template I found to calculate the locations for the holes. This should be useful for anyone else in my shoes.

After taking several measurements from the body lines, bumpers and wheel openings I was able to determine that the holes and bumpers were within a close margin of being square. I felt comfortable enough to start drilling some holes. I started on the driver's side as it was the better fitting side.

And the passenger side.

Once I had the two marker light bezel stud holes drilled, I traced out the holes I will need for the marker light itself. I drilled a tiny hole in each of the corners to use a guide to make my straight cuts. I held off on cutting those out until I could get someone's second opinion. Easier to fill a tiny hole than welding up a big hole and re-drilling and etc. After the holes were drilled I removed the sticky backed paper.

I'm planning on going back on Friday night to get the roof stripped and getting the shell a little bit closer to final sand before prime. I can't wait! Also, on a slightly related note, I was able to get the car running again. I found a good price on a set of used LS1 coils, so I thought I would give them a try. I swapped out the coils, and it fired right up! Not sure what the issue was with the other coils, but it's back to running/driving now!

Cheers,
Ryan

« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2018, 07:36:53 AM »

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #460 on: April 12, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »
I thought that you were done with the body work? also did the car not come with the side marker lights or did you get a patch that did not have them?

Regards, Jack

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #461 on: April 13, 2018, 05:56:35 AM »
I actually forgot about that small little patch that needed to be done on the cowl. I probably could have let it go and replaced it later, but I really don't want to tear it apart when it's all back together. As it is I need to pull the motor/trans to swap the oil pan. I am also going to install a remote bleeder for the slave cylinder while I have it out... I'm also likely going to get a new slave cylinder while I have it all apart. Oh, and I need to notch my frame for low mount AC and alternator.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #462 on: April 13, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »
Ryan, I cant remember if you sent out an email re: Carlisle, but if you want send me another with your info if youre still planning on going. I am planning on meeting up with Tom and Kevin.
Kerry
morgandane@zoominternet.net
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

tribute

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #463 on: April 14, 2018, 07:06:24 AM »
You do amazing work and it is fun seeing all the steps and progress you have made.

fixitrht

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #464 on: April 15, 2018, 09:26:12 AM »
Saw your 76 on Craigslist in Centerville Ohio. 24,900. Was and is a cool car

My cars
79 400 4 SPEED SE
80 455 (Fun car)
87 GTA 5.7 (Driver)
75 LS TA

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #465 on: April 16, 2018, 07:53:35 AM »
I figured it was a matter of time before it popped up for sale again. I think he wants my 68 now, but not now that I'm so close to it being done :cool:

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #466 on: April 16, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »
I hit it hard this weekend and I got a lot scratched off of my list. I have to say, I have really underestimated how much time it has taken to finish all of the little items on my list. I was hoping to be further along at this point, but just like always it takes longer than I think. I started right in on the car and didn't waste any time. I got my grinder hooked up and cut the holes out for the rear marker lights. I was very pleased with the results as they came out perfectly and the marker lights had a snug fit.

Next up was fixing this oblonged hole that I had to move because it didn't line up with the bumper mounts. I traced it to cardboard, traced my template to steel, fit it up and welded it solid. Made it sound easy, but this took some time.

Pulled out the grinder and flap disk to smooth it out. Then I used a carbide bit to get the hole round again.

Next up was cleaning up and welding on the rocker panel where I couldn't reach when the door was on. It cleaned up really nice and just needs a little filler to disappear.

Knowing eventually I wanted to have power windows/locks/puddle lights?/etc. I had to cut some holes for rubber door boots. At the advice of others who have done this before with stock boots, I opted for the larger diameter 3rd gen Camaro boots. I heard feedback that when you add PW/PL and other components that the stock boots are too small of diameter and run out of room. The 3rd gen boots have tons of space and fit quite nicely.

Drilled and fit the boot on the door side.

Everything looks and fits great.

In between welding the quarter panel waiting for it to cool, I started stripping out the trim/lights/some wiring/etc. and thought I would share this. I thought it was pretty cool because this piece of trim has been here for 50 years and I'm the first one to take it off! Pretty amazing to me.

It was hard to get a picture with the bright lights, but you can see the original LeMans blue paint behind the trim!

I also pulled the headliner and I was glad that I didn't find any other little rusty surprises. Just a rather large mouse nest.

The pictures are kinda jumping around, but that is basically how I was working. Switching tasks rather quickly to try and maximize my time and efforts. I took care of a few other small fitment issues, like these holes on the lower valance. The driver's side fit great, but the passenger side needed the holes enlarged.

Moving on I stripped this fender as there was evidence that some light rust had either started through the original primer, or someone actually sprayed primer over some light surface rust. Either way it needed to be stripped.

I kept the fender on the car while I stripped it so that it wouldn't move around. After it was good, I pulled it off to get to some other items on my list. I started stripping the roof, but at this point it was about 2am and I called it quits.

Here's a picture of the mess I made.

I went to sleep at ~2am Saturday and was back there at 8am. I worked until about noon, but didn't get any more photos because my phone only had 15% battery. I'll get some more hopefully this Wednesday night when I'm back there.

The next day I stacked up all the parts I striped off and stacked them in my storage closet in my basement. I'm hoping to have all of this cleared off in the next month or so!

The Spring Carlisle show is this week and I plan on going Thursday and Friday with my dad. We have gone just about every year since I was about 18. Good time to spend together enjoying cars and the swap meets.

Cheers,
Ryan

silver78

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #467 on: April 17, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »
looking good. your wife must be very understanding of your hobby and that's great.
MY BUILD THREAD:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=41850.0

Previous builds:
65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
72 Nova SS
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold
94 Impala SS sold

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #468 on: April 17, 2018, 08:35:26 PM »
Awesome work.  I have to say though...Just when I thought I was getting somewhere getting my motor ready to go in, you remind me of the year or so of body and paint work ahead after that!  Luckily, I plan on pawning the body work off to my brother who has a shop in TN.   He introduced me to my '81 TA (A neighbor of his had just finished a refresh on it in '90).  He introduced us and I talked the guy into selling it to me a couple months later.  My brother technically owned my car for a little while when I lost my license and couldn't register/insure it.  And, he drove it as a a DD for a few months when one of his cars blew up.  Point being, it's like an old friend to him too.  So, it'll be in good hands. 

Anyway, you mentioned being amazed watching your friend do his thing.  I'm feeling same watching you do your thing.  The body looks great, and I love the paint color!

Keep at it!

-Tom
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=69897.0

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #469 on: April 23, 2018, 07:28:31 AM »
My dad and I try to attend the car show and swap meet in Carlisle, PA every year as sort of a kickoff event for summer. Just like every time that we attend I'm sore, but come back with a ton of good parts. This year was no exception, and with that was no forward progress on my Camaro. It was great meeting Tom and Kevin at the Ames Tent this year! Good guys and it was nice putting a screen name and build project with a face. Let's do it again next year!

As we were getting breakfast, we looked out to see this rod coming out of a trailer before we even got to the show.  :cool:

Looks a lot warmer in this picture than it really was. Probably about 37* at that time

Ok, you have my attention!

Pretty funny haha.

Thought this was cool. I found a take out 2016 LT1 motor and wanted to take some pictures of the bellhousing bolts. I knew that the upper mount was moved over to account for the DI pump, but otherwise it looks identical.

Here are all of my deals from the show and the beautiful 18 year old I picked up on the way back. :)

First up was a complete set of Z51 brakes off of a 2008 C6 Corvette. Lower mileage and the guy only took them off to upgrade to a Z06 brake package and widebody kit. When he was done upgrading his car, he wrecked it 1 week after it was all finished out of paint...

They cleaned up nicely! Just shy of 13.5".

Next was a paint of Holley EFI fuel rails with a liquid filled gauge and braided crossover.

Pair of very good condition OEM door levers and 68 front marker lights. Although I found out later that mine are supposed to be clear. Oh well, maybe I'll try them and see what they look like.

This was one of my better deals of the day. Pair of brand new 67-68 RS reverse lights, lenses, gaskets, plus one 67 RH RS turn signal housing, pair of lenses and gaskets. Plus some kind of 67 RS front turning signal harness from American Autowire. $25 bucks :)

One of my bigger purchases was a new dual pass radiator. I didn't "need" one, but the dual pass radiator helps with my LS swap for many reasons. First reason is that the LS motors all have both coolant ports on the passenger side which eliminates my issue of the CAI and coolant return line trying to occupy the same space. Secondly it should help with my cooling as it comes with an integrated fan shroud. Lastly I just really like the way that it looks. Very pleased with the quality of it. This vendor was called Auto City Classics, and all of their stuff is made in house and came with a lifetime warranty! I saw several vendors there for the "eBay" radiators and they were what you would expect, but these are top notch in my opinion. There was another vendor there Cold Case, and to the untrained eye I thought they looked almost identical. Nice welds, laser cut brackets, and integrated fan shroud with vents. Best of all the guy mis-spoke and stuck to his word. Should have cost $290 ($230 radiator and $60 shroud), but he said $260 and stuck to it. The Penny Pincher thanks you ACC!

And this is the fan that I picked up last summer from a pick a part yard! Fits nicely.

Inner and outer heater boxes. My inner box was very rusty, and I bought the outer box because it has a fan and was very cheap.

I also picked up some other misc. parts along the way but those were the big ones. Very successful show in my opinion and one of my best. I also picked up an LS2 throttlebody and TBSS intake manifold for good prices and will flip them to help offset my expensive trip. Then on the way home I had been texting a guy on LS1tech about a 70K mile LS1 shortblock and we made a deal. He was about 45 mins out of my way on the way home and I decided to swing over to pick it up. Definitely didn't need it but the price was right. It was a little grimy but cleaned up nicely.

Nice break from bodywork, but I do plan to hit it hard this week and maybe this week see it in one color!

Cheers,
Ryan

« Reply #469 on: April 23, 2018, 07:28:31 AM »

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #470 on: April 23, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »
Good score and spending time with your father - priceless.

Regards, Jack

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #471 on: April 27, 2018, 08:07:00 AM »
Thanks Jack. It's something we have always bonded over. I enjoy working on and talking about cars with him.

I went to work on the car after the family went to sleep Monday and last night. I haven't had much to take pictures of since the panels don't look much different. I did however snap some as most of the body panels are prepped for primer. I'm hoping that we can get some laid down tonight. I just need a little bit more filler in some places and final sand and we should be able to spray. Here's the panels right before I left.

Roof is stripped. Wow, this takes forever!

Quarter panel to roof lines looking very good.

Doors are scuffed down with a DA sander and just need to be flipped over to scuff the inside.

I also added a skim coat to the rocker panel where I had to stitch it back together.

I stripped the passenger side fender and my buddy added a skim coat to some areas. Just need to block that down

In other news, I test fit my new to me Z51 front brakes! For those that don't know, the new taller caliper abutment brackets and 13.4" factory drilled rotors are a brake package available on the C6 Corvette's. I ended up getting a complete set of front and rear brakes this year at Carlisle, but wanted to keep my C5 calipers. Great thing is since I already converted over to the C5 platform, I literally upgraded to the bigger brakes in about 20 mins total. It took me about 10 mins a side to swap over to C6 Big brakes! The C6 calipers and my old base C5 brackets are sold so I had to swap them out.

Size comparison, C5 vs. C6 Z51. I never had the car on the road with the C5 brakes, but I will report how the Z51 brakes feel soon.

Little tighter, but I knew they would fit as I had already tested them with the Kore3 template. Still plenty of room so no worries about them contacting the wheels.

Lastly, a little teaser. I finally decided to crack open the paint to see what it looks like. So excited to get it sprayed on the car!

Cheers,
Ryan

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #472 on: April 30, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »
Yes! I told my wife that my arms (from sanding) and legs (from standing up and sitting constantly) feel like I have been at the gym lifting for the past month! Maybe this is the silver lining!

I was plugging away again this Friday night and Saturday morning/early afternoon. I was hoping to get more done, but  I ran into a little hurdle. I have been busy prepping the body and fixing the small little details in preparation for the epoxy and 2K primers. I started on the passenger side making sure that all surfaces are scuffed and ready for good adhesion. Worked my way do the tail panel, and as I was buzzing the panel just to the right of the filler I noticed something didn't feel right. the more I sanded the more filler I found. So, we ended up having to break out the stud gun and pull a rather large dent.

Hard to see in this picture, but it is very dented.

After pulling the dents out probably 1/4"

It all worked out though as we also needed to pull a good size dent on the filler panel between the deck lid and the rear window. First round of filler work.

Round 2

And the final round. Pretty proud because I actually spread all of the filler on the tail and filler panels. My buddy signed off on them and said they looked good enough to lay down some primer.

As I was getting close to wrapping it up for the day, I realized that I wasn't going to lay down the primer today. I was a little disappointed because I was really hoping to get the body in primer this weekend, but I also want it done right. I prepped all window channels, scuffed and feather in the door jambs, sanded all surfaces on the roof, both quarters, deck lid and tail panel. As it sits now, Wednesday night when I go back to work on it we will mask, final wax and grease removal and spraying some epoxy! Here is the car as it sits now.

It's very cool knowing that the car is so close to the primer, but I fully realize that there are a ton of tiny imperfections that will need to be fixed before it's ready for the Torch Red and clear. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel so that is encouraging, but honestly I'm getting pretty burnt out. I underestimated the time-frame it was going to take to get it into color. I fully anticipated it coming home this weekend from paint. Lesson learned.

To change things up to something a little easier and much more fun, I helped my almost 3 year old do his first oil change! He always wants to help with whatever I'm doing. I told him that we had to wait to put new oil in until the old oil was done dripping out. So he proceeded to pull up a bucket and wait for it to stop dripping. 5 seconds later he was doing something else, but I loved this picture!

In other news, I am in the process of building up that LS1 shortblock that I just picked up and am about 95% sure that I will be swapping my 5.3 for it in the near future. I actually have to pull the motor and trans anyway as I have to swap out the truck oil pan and notch the frame. So, I'm thinking why do it twice? As I was looking through my parts stash, I realized that I actually have the majority of the parts that I can put together a pretty stout motor. Setup is going to be the LS1 shortblock, 799 heads, LS2 cam (same as the 02+ LS6 Cam) with the supporting mods like upgrade pushrods, and valve springs. Should essentially make myself a budget LS6 engine and should make around ~380 rwhp from reading similar setups. I am converting over to a front cam sensor so I can run the LS2 cam if anyone is wondering about that. More on that build to come.

Cheers,
Ryan

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #473 on: April 30, 2018, 03:46:32 PM »
It's worth the wait to get things right the first time versus rushing and the results not being good and having to redo it, consequently taking a lot more time and work than if you had just waited.  It's terribly frustrating not getting things done when you want them done though, and it can be hard not to try and hurry things.

Haha, that last picture is too cute though.  Makes me think of something off a father's day card or the like.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #474 on: May 03, 2018, 06:19:54 AM »
Box, you are totally right just do it right the first time. Patience is a virtue and that is something this project has taught me.

Huge milestone update for me for several reasons. I went to my buddies house last night and we finally got the car into primer! When I got there there was still several area's that needed attention and once those were addressed, we got right to work. I ran over the whole car with 180 grit and a red scotch brite pad then followed up with some wax and grease remover. My buddy mixed up the primer, got the gun set-up and did a few test panels, then gave me a few pointers and said "Here you go, do your thing!"

Here's the car all taped up and masked off.

Then after the first coat of epoxy primer.

After that we followed-up with one more coat of the epoxy primer. Once that flashed I sprayed on three more coats of the 2k primer. I was into a groove and didn't really notice until I finished up with the third coat that it was all one solid color!

We also hit the doors with 180 on the DA and sprayed those with just the 3 coats of the 2k primer. He didn't feel we needed to use the epoxy on the doors since they already had a good base of the previous color.

After the fumes cleared out we went in and I couldn't stop looking at it. For one it was all one color and the body was looking really good to me, and for two I was the one that sprayed down 95% of it! Yesterday was a great day for me in several ways. I'm looking forward to blocking it out and taking it to the next stage which is paint!

My buddy sent me some action shots of me too.

Cheers,
Ryan

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #475 on: May 03, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »
Looking good.
Question - were you actually spraying when the pics were taken or just posing lol.

Regards, Jack

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #476 on: May 03, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »
very nice.  It'll be on the road in no time!
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #477 on: May 03, 2018, 07:51:10 AM »
Always a great feeling to have it all in one color, even if it is just primer. Body work looks great from where I sit. Now get back to work block sanding, you have a long road of it ahead but progress has been very steady so you should be done in no time.

Looks great!
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #478 on: May 03, 2018, 09:37:46 AM »
Good job! Back in the day that would be finished paint job. I think half the "hot rods" in my school parking lot were in red primer. LOL. Now the fun begins.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #479 on: May 03, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
Looking good.
Question - were you actually spraying when the pics were taken or just posing lol.

Well... that was actually my stunt double filling in for me.  :cool:

« Reply #479 on: May 03, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3