Author Topic: Project QuickBird with LS swap  (Read 57884 times)

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
Re: Project QuickBird with LS swap
« Reply #520 on: August 30, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »
Yes the whole decal thing is like putting the cart before the horse but I just got to thinking about them.

Nothing wrong with that. Only problem is how are we supposed to practice applying the decals on your car first?  :grin:
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #521 on: September 04, 2019, 07:35:07 PM »
Pulled it outside to wet sand and block both fenders some more. It is only the top side of both fenders that is giving me trouble. Everywhere the factory spot welded the fender to the inner structure there is a low spot or wave. I would love to look at an all original nice car to see if these low/wave spots are present.  These were really nice original fenders from Florida.

Everywhere you see black near the hood is a low spot. After all of this blocking they are not real low but I can still feel them. I hope after one more round of high build primer they will be gone...

The driver side is almost perfect now. There was one spot on the edge by the hood that needed attention.  I probably could have let it go but I have to spray the passenger fender so I might as well fill it and spray the driver again...

I am so over this sanding... (I'm sure I'll say it again)

Oh, and I noticed some small spider cracks on the edge of the front bumper cover. Not sure why that happened.  Hopefully it is just the one spot...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:41:41 PM by FormTA »
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #522 on: September 04, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »
Like everyone keeps saying, the more work you put into the undersurface, the better the top side will be. Every spot fixed is a spot that vanishes on the surface!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #523 on: September 05, 2019, 07:06:17 AM »
Yea, sanding can be a bit monotonous. Your putting in a lot more effort than most would (myself included) and it will show with the black paint. At least your on the down hill slope now. Shame about the bumper. When I did my 77 I was worn down (physically and mentally) by the time I got to the back bumper. It is about a 6 out of 10. Spider cracks showed up in a couple of spots. But they dont bother me at all now when im driving down the road, LOL.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #524 on: September 05, 2019, 07:23:20 AM »
Ya, the spider cracks really don't bother me too much but I wonder when or why they formed. I'm going to add flex additive when I spray the back bumper even though I was told I didn't need it unless I was flexing to install it as it just slows the curing process.

Besides complaining about sanding I am curious if these waves were present on these cars when new. I have to believe they were as I found no evidence of filler under the original paint when I stripped them.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

« Reply #524 on: September 05, 2019, 07:23:20 AM »

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #525 on: September 05, 2019, 02:45:40 PM »
10 chances to 1 they were...Factory care factor is much lower than your own and besides...you have been staring at this thing for a billion hours...your bound to see more flaws than anyone else ever will
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

« Reply #525 on: September 05, 2019, 02:45:40 PM »
You can help support TAC!