Author Topic: 1979 T/A Stroker Project  (Read 5897 times)

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
Re: 1979 T/A Stroker Project
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2017, 05:12:42 PM »

The trunk pan is completely out now. I removed the lower portion of the package tray drop to get better access to the the spot welds on the trunk pan. It will get stitch and plug welded back in place after the trunk pan is installed.

One thing I found during my adventures of removing the full trunk pan was just how many bad spot welds there were. The welds had not rusted out. They were faulty from the factory. In short, the gun left a dimple, but little or no fusion took place. Half of of the spot welds on the package drop down were loose. The trunk pan also had a number of bad welds.

The reddish-brown mess on the wheel housing isn't rust. It's adhesive left over from the sound deadening.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »
You're moving along pretty good. I have heard before about bad welds and such. Gotta remember, these cars were moving along the assembly line pretty fast, and they weren't worried about how long it was going to last. I don't think quality control was real high at the time.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2018, 04:03:55 PM »
Not much has happened over the last few months. Mostly due to lack of parts and the cash to pay for them. The next phase was intended to replace the tail panel, cross brace, and trunk floor pan. However, those are going to cost around $1000 in parts and shipping. So I've been saving up to get them all at once to try to save on the shipping. (It can't go back together until I have everything anyway. I need all the pieces to do the fitting.)

I was very close to having the needed cash in the project cookie jar when I came across this '81 in a Craigslist ad:

It's an '81 4-speed I picked it up as a parts car for $800. It would actually make a decent project car for the more ambitious. But there is rust-through in all the usual places you'd expect from leaking t-tops and trunk seals. I actually got it running and was able to drive it around. But I mainly got it to do a roof swap on the '79 hardtop. It's also useful for a lot of misc hardware I'm going to need down the road. For example, today I grabbed the 4-speed hump panel that sits on the transmission tunnel. It was mounted in the 81 really poorly and had a 1/4" gap in places that the factory packed with seam sealer to hide. I little hammer work and it's fitting much better in the '79. I can't weld it in right now. I want to clean underneath and I need gas for the welder.

The tranny hump panel removed from the 81.

Fitting much better in the '79 now. The floor still needs to be cut and cleaned before welding it in.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »
Good deal. You remind me of me  :) . A few years ago, I picked up an 81 Esprit roller on Craig's List for $800 for parts for my 79's as well. No drivetrain, but a good body with no rust to speak of, and a good nose and radiator support, etc. So, the body and suspension parts were worth it to me. Even the tires and wheels were still usable, so I used them for a few thousand miles on one of my other cars. You got a great deal though with the t-tops, engine and 4 speed setup.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:58:08 PM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »
I figured it would be worth it and probably pay for itself. I'm planning on selling the stuff I don't need including the ST10 4-speed. I've already sold the seats and the rear sway bar out of it. The posi is up for sale on CL since I have two of them now.

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2018, 07:30:07 PM »
That is sad... That 81 4 speed could have been  a great car... I hate to see savable cars become parts cars.. I'm just a softy and can't get rid of anything.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »
Yeah, it's kinda sad. But I can't manage two projects at once and my 79 has a much better shell to work from. The 81 is salvageable, but it would need a lot of new metal and it has a missing title which is no fun to deal with. If the 81 had better collector value, I'd consider switching projects.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2018, 08:11:04 PM »
Oh, I'm not blaming you for anything. I would have bought it too. But my sad but would have put it in the barn and held on to it till I died and my kids would have to call the junkyard to come get it..

794spd

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2018, 11:49:26 AM »
I figured it would be worth it and probably pay for itself. I'm planning on selling the stuff I don't need including the ST10 4-speed. I've already sold the seats and the rear sway bar out of it. The posi is up for sale on CL since I have two of them now.

I would possibly be interested in the transmission. Thanks

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
I would possibly be interested in the transmission. Thanks

I'll post it when I get around to removing it. I'm not sure when I want to do that. The car is currently driveable (except the front seats are missing) which allows me to move it around if needed. (Pushing a 3800lb car around on an irregular surface sucks.) FWIW, I did drive it around the neighborhood and ran it thru all the gears. It sounded fine with no ugly noises or whining. The shifter bushings are worn, so the stick is sloppy.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2018, 08:29:21 PM »

The 79 project has been stalled for a while now. I've been trying to save up some cash to get all the metal I need to fully restore the shell. Unfortunately, it seems real life keeps throwing surprises at me which keeps draining cash away from the project. I was able to get some work done though. One of the things the shell needs was a patch to passenger foot well. The cowl had a pinhole leak on that side which wet the carpet and rusted the toe board. I cut out the rotten metal a long time ago. But a new toe board panel was part of the larger sheet metal inventory I wanted to order.

On a whim, I decided to cut the door skin off one the doors and measure it to see how thick it was. Turns out, the door skins are the same gauge as the floor pan. So I cut a section out of the old door skin, got the hammers and beat out a replacement toe board. I started to make it one piece, but it was proving difficult to fit. So I made the patch in two sections. Turns out the floor has some subtle compound curves. Anyway, you can see the patch in the picture. (The black donuts are magnets holding the pieces in place.) The old door paint still needs to be stripped. I would have finished trimming the pieces and welded them in, but the welder is out of argon right now. So it will have to wait until I get a new bottle of gas. I tried to get a refill, but I discovered the bottle was out of date and needs to be tested. Grrrr.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:30:58 PM by Ryoko »

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2018, 07:30:28 AM »
the car is coming along nicely. I know the feeling with respect to money. I put my project on hold for far too long because other life things came up that kept pushing the car to the back of the line.

Some of that metal work would have scared me in the past but I'm getting more comfortable with welding now, but thankfully my tail panel is good and I only had to address some small spots around the car.
Check out the progress of my restoration on my YouTube Channel. Click here: TheOriginalLugnuts (Updated Weekly)

" daddy my hat blew off, I hope your darn head was in it"

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2018, 06:27:12 PM »
I finally got around to finishing the passenger toe kick panel. I had to make a second attempt at the repair. (The replacement panel was made from an old door panel and beat into shape by hand.) The first attempt looked and fit fine --- so long as you didn't try to re-weld the front sub frame mounting bracket back to it. The error was that it had a larger radius at the crease which was interfering with the frame bracket. I went ahead and made a new piece with the correct radius and everything fits now. I took a couple of pictures, but they didn't come out very well. The bare metal was glaring and looked really bad in the pics with the lighting I was using. I'll try to get some new pics later on.

For now, I'm waiting on some consumables to the TIG torch. I need to fill in the holes in the sub frame bracket that were introduced when the spot welds were drilled out in order to remove it from the old toe kick.

Looking ahead, I think the next major task is to begin the roof swap preparation. I have already pulled the windshield from the donor car. But I still need to remove the back glass -- preferably without breaking it. It has the defroster wires which are still in good shape. The back glass in the project vehicle is already out. But the wire traces in that one are in poor condition.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2018, 05:41:16 PM »

Here's the new toe kick. It's not all that pretty. But it looks better than a gaping hole in the floor. I wanted to dress the welds a little better. But I was concerned that I would thin the metal which would be a bad thing since the sub frame bracket gets welded to it on the other side. So the welds are just going to have to be lumpy. I sprayed some grey primer on it to get it to photograph better. The inside will get stripped at some point and coated with a rust sealer/preventative.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2018, 05:47:57 PM »

I fixed the end of the frame rail yesterday. As you can see in the picture, I placed a bar across the bumper mounting points to check for straightness. What I found was the mounts were pushed in about 3/16" which was never going to allow the tail panel to sit flat. I'm guessing at some point the PO backed into something and bent the tangs inward. A little quality time with the torch and some heavy pliers put things right again. (Yes, the trunk pan has been removed.)

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2018, 05:47:57 PM »

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2018, 06:37:46 PM »
It's time to start thinking about swapping the tops. I spent the day doing much of the prep work needed to remove the tops on both the donor car and the project car.

One of things I did was beging making reference marks and taking measurements. The A-pillar skins on the project vehicle are going to be saved since the ones on the donor car have issues with rust through.

This is  the donor vehicle. This pic shows the paint having been ground off to expose the lead underneath. The back glass was removed prior to grinding. The windshield was removed last week.

A little time with a propane torch and a stiff wire brush is all that's needed to remove the lead. I'll drill out the spot welds when I'm ready to remove the roof.

This is the project car that's going to receive the t-top. In this pic you can see the lead has been removed. What's not so easy to see is that the lip which joins the roof to the outer sail panel has been removed. The process involved cutting above the lap joint and then grinding the spot weld to get the flap to come from the sail panel without damaging it. You can see the inner sail panel thru the resulting slot. The only thing holding the roof on is the remaining spot welds on the inside sail panels and the A-pillars. I can't go much further until I get the torch parts I need for the TIG welder. They're on order. But it's Christmas, so I'm not sure when they'll get here. Is it just me or does the roof on your project also end up being used for storage?

I did have a bit of a scare. The air compressor was really earning its keep running the die grinder to cut the slots and grind down the spot welds. Then the bad noises started. I had visions of dead compressors ($$$) dancing through my head. Turns out, it was just the belt failing making all that racket. I got a new belt on order. In the mean time, I just tightened the old one up and I'll just have to baby it until the new one arrives.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »

The inside of the A-pillar is now exposed on both cars. Ready to cut!

I was able to carefully remove the A-pillar skins so that they could be re-used. The skins on the donor car were rusted through and not usable.

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2018, 09:34:17 PM »
Making awesome progress.  Rust wise, not too terrible.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »
Rust on the project car's roof is mostly non-existent. It's in excellent shape actually. Unfortunately, there's some rust issues in the donor t-top inside the channels near the edge of the roof that will require some reconstruction. The rust in the project car was largely confined to the trunk pan, tail panel, and the base of the quarter panels. The toe kick was the only bad spot on the floor pan.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
Nice work. I did the same thing when I replace the rusted T roof on my Formula. Makes the roof swap almost undetectable.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2018, 10:06:47 AM »

Daddy! The top came off!

The roof is now off the project car. Gawd, it's a sad looking Trans Am right now. But things are going to start to get better from here. I still need to pull the roof from the donor car. The amount of difficulty freeing the spot welds on the interior sail panel caught me by surprise.  There were a number of them that were impossible to see making drilling them out rather difficult. The bracing made crawling in and out of the interior a challenge as well.

In case anyone is wondering how much the roof weights, it's around 55 pounds.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2018, 04:00:24 PM »

The roof from the project vehicle is now on the donor car. It's crudely welded in place since the donor is heading for the scrap yard when all is said and done. The donor is serving as a storage bin for the parts removed from the project. When the parts are returned to the project, there won't be much left of the donor car.

Here is the t-top roof from the donor is sitting on top of the project car. The t-top will need some rust issues addressed along with some trimming to make it fit before it gets welded permanently into place.

Something that's not obvious is that you can shove a long screwdriver or metal dowel rod down into the A-pillars to hold the roof in place. A 1/2" dowel fits almost perfectly.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2018, 04:00:39 PM »
No pictures this time. But I did make a bunch of progress today since the weather is nice for now. I removed the remaining pieces of the sail panel to roof lap joints and drilled out the spot welds. The aft end of the roof is pretty much ready to weld in once I repair some rust patches in the t-top channels. Having the roof loose will make getting to the underside a little easier. The area near the top of the a-pillars also need some attention.

In the big picture, the roof has been fitted and the measurements are pretty much spot on. I have to say I'm  rather pleased. I was expecting more of a fight, especially since this was my first roof swap. But things actually went smoothly. The only issue I ran into was that I had to cut the brace between the left and right sail panels to let them relax because the t-top roof was slightly wider than the original roof. (Roughly 1/8") I'll attribute that to factory slop.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2018, 07:14:43 AM »
I think I saw somewhere the tolerances are like +/- 1/8". I just laughed as you could be off  1/4" between sides and still be in spec. That was GM back in the day. Good looking work. I made plates to slide into the A pillers and plug welded them just to give me reassurance everything was solid.

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
Boatloads of respect for anybody that does a roof swap on these cars.  I would take on almost any part replacement , but the roof is my personal line.  Awesome work.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2018, 05:14:42 PM »

The roof is about 80% welded in. The interior flanges still need to be welded. I went ahead and took the bracing out since it was a pain to climb over. The bracing came out easily with no residual tension or pops. It's starting to look like a car again.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2019, 12:56:09 PM »
I was able to find a pair of 4th gen seats for my 2nd gen. Unfortunately, these are not going to bolt right in without some work. I chose to go with the 4th gen seats for several reasons. First, they recline. Second, they are quite comfortable. And third, there was no way in hell I was going to pay $450 for a set of seat tracks to fit a 2nd gen. I got the 4th gen seats with the tracks for $150. The seats are in good condition with no rust and even the upholstery is in good shape. Woot!

Of course, that means there's some work to be done to mount them. The first step is to figure out the new mounting holes. I started with the passenger side first. It turns out the front outboard hole is where it needs to be. It only needs a spacer to level it with the floor. The front inboard hole was another matter. A new hole needed to be drilled spaced 13-3/8" from the other hole. A new hole was drilled large enough for a nut to be passed thru. (Yellow circle)

Next up was to make a reinforcement plate with a nut welded to the back side. The first couple of tacks were messy and were due to the welder not being dialed in.

Next, the area was sanded to bare metal and then primed with some weld-thru primer. Once the primer was dry, the plate was welded into place. The plate is shaped like it is so that it spans the cross member hiding under the floor for extra support. The old mounting hole will either get a plug or I may just weld it closed.

Here a level is used to determine the height of the spacer needed on the outboard side.

Checking the tracks for fit and spacing. It's not  easy to see in the picture, but the back mounting ears are not flat on the floor. The floor slopes down about 10 degrees or so. So something needs to be done here. The floor can be cut, but there is a rather hefty cross member under that area and I'd rather not cut into that. I also want a little extra headroom if possible, so it's on to plan B.

The way I decided to make the tracks fit was to cut a pie slice out of the rear foot and bend the metal to match the slope of the floor. This does a couple of things. First, it means the floor doesn't have to be hacked other than making a new mounting hole, and secondly the cut and bend allows the rear of the track to drop down which gives another 1/2" of headroom.

The picture is a bit fuzzy (camera doesn't focus well up close), but you can see that the metal was bent to close the gap left by the pie cut and a heavy weld was made on both sides. The bracket now fits the floor nicely.

It was 100 degrees outside and getting too hot to work in the garage. So the inboard track will have to wait till tomorrow.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2019, 03:36:27 PM »
Interesting on modifying the bracket, I guess that'd be the way to go for clearance versus just doing an adapter/spacer like he did.  Though in fairness doing an adapter/spacer is a lot easier when you don't own a welder.  Curious to see how much headroom there'll be doing it this way instead.

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2019, 10:50:28 PM »
Nice work and thanks for posting a link to your rebuild thread...amazing work so far!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2019, 04:49:54 AM »
Though in fairness doing an adapter/spacer is a lot easier when you don't own a welder. 

Who doesn't own a welder? I thought everyone has at least one... I have 5. Is that bad?

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2019, 11:04:32 AM »
Finished up the passenger side this morning. It's too hot and humid to start on the driver's side.

I'm just going to post the finished mounting pads. All of them were done in the same manner as described earlier. The rear of the inboard track was also pie cut and welded to match the slope of the floor just like the outboard track was. Here is the final result:

One thing that was needed on the inboard track was to adjust the angle of the front foot so that it matched the slope of the floor. Doing this allowed the track to sit flat, also sit about 3/16" lower, and reduced the number of spacers needed for the front foot of the outboard track. It's hard to see in the pic, but the foot was slit, bent, and re-welded at the new angle.

And here is the new seat mounted securely to the floor. I know the first question is going to be "How's the headroom?" Well, I'm 6'-2" and with the seat all the way back and sitting upright with the seatback reclined 1 notch, I can put my hand on top of my head with room to spare. I'm guessing it's a little over 2" of headroom. Plenty of legroom as well. I don't have the original seats, but I think the 4th gen tracks have more travel that the 2nd gens.

The mounting of the seats does require a few spacers on opposite diagonals. This is due to the floor being anything but flat. The '79 floor has a lot of humps. The nice thing is that the carpet should go in without any issues since the floor hasn't changed much.

Just for fun, I'll tell you about the seats that came with the donor car. They were some sort of unbranded racing seats and they looked awful. They were also very uncomfortable. The best part was how they were mounted to the floor. When I bought the donor, I was hoping the seats and tracks were something I would be able to scavenge from it. It was clear that the seats were useless. But the there was still hope for getting a set of tracks. I looked under the seats and discovered there were no tracks. The seats were mounted using lag bolts thru a piece of plywood that was bolted to the floor using threaded rod and fender washers in an attempt to level it. As bad as that sounds, it was probably the sturdiest part of the floor. (The floor was mostly gone due to rust.) The donor car provided the T-Top roof.

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2019, 07:42:50 PM »
Turned out good
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2019, 04:48:32 AM »
Nice work, the seats fit nicely.

Regards, Jack

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2019, 11:18:38 AM »
Just read through your post and all I can say is what a great job you are doing! Really looking forward to seeing more progress!
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2019, 05:35:03 PM »
Really nice work....the late 2nd gen flor is a bear for this sort of thing, its so weirdly shaped.  :cool:
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe