Author Topic: Why is this site always down?  (Read 257 times)

allenga

• Active Forum Member
Why is this site always down?
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:15:44 AM »
The site seems to have frequent issues.  Also, will not host photos.  Is it time to migrate to a new platform?
1977 Trans Am, stock 400 W72, auto.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat.
Re: Why is this site always down?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 02:41:19 PM »
It's just here recently really with the issues, and it's not just this forum either.  At least the admin here cares enough to check in and fix things as needed, versus ignoring everyone for three weeks until the forum somehow fixes itself.  Also very few forums, and in all my years I only know of one, have built in picture hosting.  Storage of data costs money, and in particular larger files of data like high quality pictures.  Just look at the PhotoBucket stint that happened not too long ago.  To be able to implement photo storage and not lose even more money than the cost already associated with hosting a site and/or forum would mean lots of paid sponsorships as well as paid membership tiers.  So to get full access to the forum or be able to use an avatar or signature, etc... would mean a monthly subscription fee.  Personally I like how things are here and other forums without paid tiers, it's not like it's that hard to embed a photo from Flickr or where have you.
Miata placeholder

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 04:44:21 PM »
I think this forum is perfect...

Regards, Jack

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »
The site seems to have frequent issues.  Also, will not host photos.  Is it time to migrate to a new platform?

Tough one to decide what to do.  I guess we can delete years' worth of posts/Q&A's/build threads/etc...  That is what causes errors, all that info.  Lots and lots of information that is waiting to be mined when needed is on the line.  Bandwidth = $$$.   Also that is why we ask if anyone wants to post pics, to use a 3rd party host site.  This has never been a for-profit site; it is free for everyone to use.  It has glitches, I'll agree.  They are slowly being analyzed and corrected.  Not many privately-owned free car sites have been around non-stop since 2003.  It's just hard to delete a lot of threads- once they are gone, they won't be back.  We do understand the frustration- it's frustrating on our end too when TAC goes down.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1969 Firebird 400 (non-numbers)
1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2007 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (5.4)
2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD V6
2012 Mustang

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 06:29:35 PM »
Hmmm...  It'd be a lot of work, initially at least, but perhaps could go through all the old threads and just leave the original poster's comments or any other posters' comments that're pertinent.  Delete superfluous threads entirely to free even more bandwith.  Anything without any usable info is just wasted bandwith, which is ironic coming from me since I'm the reason behind the biggest bandwith drain on the forum with little to no substance. :lol:  Though if it'd help I'd understand binning it occasionally and starting afresh every now and then.   Which I think other forums have resorted to the archiving of any useful old threads in a separate section and deleting the rest, especially those that like TAC have been around 10-20 years now.  The whole market place area is somewhere that you could probably get huge immediate bandwith savings by deleting everything past 30 days without a response which is something I've seen before elsewhere, no real reason for all of those old posts sitting around.
Miata placeholder

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 06:29:35 PM »

allenga

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 07:32:54 PM »
I work in IT.  There are providers that can migrate all the data.  Also, sites like troublefreepool.com which is a very well run site asks for donations for hosting services/services.  Could have Gold, Silver, Bronze supporters.  Just a thought.  I would pay a few bucks to have the site up and quickly post a photo..
1977 Trans Am, stock 400 W72, auto.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 08:45:53 PM »
I don't see how uploading an image off your phone or camera to your computer, and then to the forum is quick by any means these days unless you're using a program to upload to your computer over wi-fi in conjunction.  Since you can upload off your phone and most DSLR directly to somewhere like Flickr via wi-fi and then it's nothing to copy and paste embed links off Flickr to here.  I suppose the perfect solution would be an app for the forum or even just a mobile format of the site, then it's as direct an upload sequence as possible.  Ha, wonder how much that'd cost.

This is the first real instance in the years I've been here that it was down for so long, and that's because the admin was on vacation with his family.  Yeah it was kind of annoying when it was down for an hour or so the few times prior, but it wasn't the end of the world or anything.
Miata placeholder

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 11:00:00 AM »
I will happily double my monthly membership dues...

Honestly, for a free site it works well.  I was on another free forum for hotwheels, and when it went down it was for 8 months before it came back up.  No fault of the admins, and nothing they could do.   

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 08:22:23 PM »
I have to agree with both allenga and Casey on this one.

I'd pay a fee as well because I'm here a lot, yet OTOH, there definitely are some threads around here that could use some cleaning up.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 11:50:46 AM »
Most people won't pay a fee, they'll just move to other places to spend their internet time. Remember the Photobucket debacle?
John Paige
Lab-14.com

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »
Mike B. does all the database work and he's the only one that knows how anything works.  We've had a bunch of hiccups over the years but I don't know much about what's under the hood.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »