Author Topic: shipping rant  (Read 4567 times)

NY81TTASE

• Active Forum Member
  • '81 turbo trans am SE
shipping rant
« on: November 16, 2015, 06:01:12 PM »
I just received 5 tail light housing clips.   They are about the size of a paper clip and weigh as much.  The price at $3 each is a joke but two sites had close to the same price.   The shipping.......$9.95   for  5  paper clip sized pieces of metal!!!!!!!!!!!   from classic industires.   Really!???!!  they couldnt put them in a padded bag the size of my hand?    That to me is just horrible.  too bad I needed them.
1981 turbo trans am se

ta9590

• Active Forum Member
Re: shipping rant
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 06:19:12 PM »
I feel ya.  No telling how much I was charged all total from Classic throughout the restoration of my car.  Had to be a thousand or so.
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

aussieta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 11:53:05 PM »
you want to try shipping to australia
back in 1995 when i bought my TA
ignition barrel from classic was $70 shipping
4 core radiator from year one was $78
needless to say one and only item i ever bought from classic
whole resto was from year one and gm world in australia
1978 Y84 W72 WS6

Lucky Phil

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:40:54 AM »
you want to try shipping to australia
back in 1995 when i bought my TA
ignition barrel from classic was $70 shipping
4 core radiator from year one was $78
needless to say one and only item i ever bought from classic
whole resto was from year one and gm world in australia

I'm the same used them once and never again,
For me NPD & Summit are my choice for realistic shipping prices....

1979 10th Anniversary TA
1978 W87 Currently Restoring Rat Rod Style
1959 Aussie Delivered RHD Bel Air

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:59:29 AM »
I have bought some big ticket items from Classic, int. parts, etc. I got them when they had a pretty good sale. After you figure in the shipping cost it came out to regular price with free shipping. I always look carefully when they send out a 25% coupon. And im on the right coast and their shipping always takes at least a week. (not that im in that big of a hurry). I can get Ames in a couple days.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:59:29 AM »

Fbodywarehouse

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Fbodywarehouse
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
We do SHIPPING INCLUDED IN PRICE, will save ya a bundle on parts!

djustice

• Active Forum Member
      • ACCK
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 02:55:42 PM »
Fbodywarehouse  is one of very few places with normal shipping costs overseas , others are just to high. anything weigthing over 2 lbs and size about 1 foot by 1 foot will be 100 dollars or over.
Example: pypes exhaust will run me 500 dollars in shipping, then the price of the exhaustsystem, and 25% tax on the combined shipping and exhaust system... unreal.
1973 Firebird formula 400 W/YC code 455 (73 casting)
6x-8 heads, 140 lb spring preassure closed, scorpion 1.5 Roller rockers, holley 4160 750 cfm, edelbrock performer inntake, Headman 28150 headers 1 3/4" primary, Pypes SGF11R exhaust, cam unknown, alu radiator w/twin 12" fans. Yukon duragrip posi w/3.42 gears.

Fbodywarehouse

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Fbodywarehouse
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 08:42:10 PM »
A note for our clients also......

If you are a regular client from us we are happy to have you ship our other USA orders to us and we can combine and compress and send along to you to help save on shipping for you.
Hope this helps.
Pete

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 04:56:24 PM »
X2 !!
Pete has been great with this one. I was able to ship a few other items and orders from across the US to him, to add into his own order and ship as one. Saves a Lot of shipping expenses to Australia! And there's nothing in it for him except extra work. Thanks Pete!!

Fbodywarehouse

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Fbodywarehouse
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 06:37:14 PM »
It helps I know how tough it can be across the pond wish the AU dollar would come up the US dollar is too darn strong right now putting a pinch into international sales. I understand why but wish they would equal out some!

crashdawg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »
Classic is always too high as are most. They did tell me if you call them they will lower it.  I've never tried I just shop elsewhere.  In my opinion if Pete has what you are looking for I would only buy from Fbody. Great place and Pete is Awesome.  In the rare occasion that you need help Pete has your back. Class act all the way. CD

its not perfect but its mine

lskip10

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 08:50:42 PM »
Next time you need something from Classic, call as suggested above, they will cut it back on those small items.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 09:19:32 PM »
Next time you need something from Classic, call as suggested above, they will cut it back on those small items.

I got fed up, now I just order elsewhere. I do most of my ordering online late night, I work during working hours and am not going to call and ask them to fix their shipping overcharges. I stopped when they charged me almost $30.00 S&H for 2 pairs of billet window crank handles I ordered for a customers car. I could ship the same package to them for under $10.00 (including box/tape/packing materials etc.)and I don't get any discounts like the big shippers do. Been wondering how long they'll keep sending the catalogs.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

crashdawg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 03:48:47 PM »
I will add to the rant. Lol.  I was just on ram air website.  I was gonna buy a bolt kit for my ram air 3 manifolds.  $19.00 for the bolts is OK.  But I'm not going to pay $13.51 to ship. 
These companies should send some lube to each customer

its not perfect but its mine

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »
I'm not going to pay $13.51 to ship. 

:lol:

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »

Mikegh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 09:23:07 PM »
What is the best place for parts best prices? Thanks

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 09:33:41 PM »
What is the best place for parts best prices? Thanks

Price isn't everything and there's no one "best place" or the others would all be out of business. Customer service, Knowledgeable helpful staff, "in stock" inventory, packing, timely shipping at reasonable prices, etc. all are important enough to warrant paying something above rock bottom prices.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

TransBam

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »
I'm afraid it's common practice for businesses to use freight as a profit generator. The company my son works for charges their customers for handling/size of container and then charges double or more their actual freight cost to the customer.
I know all is fair in love and war but this seems shady to me.

DeVilliers

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 03:38:57 AM »
hahahaha, I'm laughing at this old thread that popped up again.

Man, you guys have it easy.
Try shipping to South Africa! darn! You'll cry.

$25 part - $50 shipping. Then there is the weight factor, which will add more to the price.

That's why I make up a whole list and then order. I literally order enough stuff so that the actual parts amount is more than the shipping amount. If it's not, then I'll keep adding to the list until it is. There's no shipping one small item.

So far I've ordered most of my stuff from RockAuto and the odd thing from Fbodywarehouse. They are the only ones giving me shipping price updates as part of my order.

CI, NPD, Summit and others are even more crazy with shipping cost.
1979 Trans Am

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 08:20:19 AM »
Absolutely. So often I've looked at a $15-20 part and thought, is it really worth $100 to me to have the right part instead of making something or not having anything. The problem is when you have a few spares and someone local wants to buy some, and that part that cost you $75 in shipping you just let go for 20 because in the states it's worth 5! Even the locals want a bargain out of you.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
Interesting to see how others feel about high shipping costs.
Besides the Pontiac Restoration World it also applies to the other car worlds .
The Racing World too.
Kinda used to it.
The speciality Race companies charge what they do.
Or you dont get your parts.
I dont mind usually unless the Budget is tight.

Like that on ebay.
Free shipping sometimes.
Ultra Rare Obscure Pontiac auction Won I just pay.

Times I have lots of free $$$$ to spend.
Other times rubbing nickles together.

DeVilliers

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 02:18:51 AM »
Absolutely. So often I've looked at a $15-20 part and thought, is it really worth $100 to me to have the right part instead of making something or not having anything. The problem is when you have a few spares and someone local wants to buy some, and that part that cost you $75 in shipping you just let go for 20 because in the states it's worth 5! Even the locals want a bargain out of you.

Too true! The same part in the US sometimes cost me 3-4times the $, but hey what can you do.
Even getting something out of Aus costs me twice as much.

The joys of owning a US car in an African country  :lol: :lol:

And don't tell me about the locals.....I just tell them to import it themselves. Eventually they'll phone back about two weeks later. I figure, what ever spares I don't sell, will just help me in future.
1979 Trans Am

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 02:18:51 AM »
You can help support TAC!