Author Topic: 2nd gen TA aerodynamics and modifications  (Read 51408 times)

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 2nd gen TA aerodynamics and modifications
« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
Have you guys done anything for rear brake cooling ducts?

Not sure the rear brakes need anything much unless it is a roar race car that is going to do more laps than your average track day but I'm sure John will be all over it :-)
You should come over to the Vette forum with me.
The Guys will like your antics & comments.
We are a rough bunch of guys.
The Mods Love me there.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »
The exhaust headers create Immense amounts of heat Road racing and drag racing John.
Have to get that heat out or the engine oil temps will really skyrocket.
Without an engine oil cooler the engine will not last then. 

Agreed, my tray system allows air to flow freely out between the tray and floor of the car which will hopefully keep things cool enough so I won't need additional coolers for engine oil, rear end, etc.   I will be running Hooker side pipes and the area of my tray under the headers and side pipes is aluminum.

My tray system is easily removable so the car can look normal anytime I want as opposed to under trays, splitters, and diffusers that are fastened directly to the car.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2018, 07:03:00 PM »
The exhaust headers create Immense amounts of heat Road racing and drag racing John.
Have to get that heat out or the engine oil temps will really skyrocket.
Without an engine oil cooler the engine will not last then. 

Agreed, my tray system allows air to flow freely out between the tray and floor of the car which will hopefully keep things cool enough so I won't need additional coolers for engine oil, rear end, etc.   I will be running Hooker side pipes and the area of my tray under the headers and side pipes is aluminum.

My tray system is easily removable so the car can look normal anytime I want as opposed to under trays, splitters, and diffusers that are fastened directly to the car.
OK John.
I just don't want see you have any mechanical issues.
Sharing my knowledge with You.
It just may work your ideas.
Go For it my friend.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »

Not quite yet. When It gets warmish enough, I'll venture out into the garage to correct the gaps depicted in the below under-hood shots :-)

The bottom shot attempts to show what I have going on in front. Most of the air entering the left marker light hole is forced through the oil cooler and out through the gap between the core support and driver side fender. Both grill sections by the headlights are blocked, so the only air entering the engine bay from the front comes through the bottom feed and marker light holes.

The area in front of the core support becomes a pressurized box at speed. The sides by the fenders needs to be blocked off (and any other openings to the engine compartment) in order for the block off you installed on the top of the core support forward to be effective. Ideally you want to seal off the front either at the core support so there is a sealed pressurized area forward of it OR by using ductwork that confines airflow from the nose to the radiator/oil cooler and brake ducts. The radiator should be sealed to the core support (or duct to bottom feeder opening) so no air can get around it.

Essentially you want to seal off the front of the car so air goes over, under, or around the car except air used for cooling things.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »
Have you guys done anything for rear brake cooling ducts?

I'm not putting any on my car currently but have plans to monitor brake temps once I get the car back on track. I'll probably only be on track 20 minutes at a time and have huge (for rear) 14" discs so I don't think I'll have a need for rear ducts. If I was still running stock drums out back I'd probably run some ducts for track use.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »

1981RoadRace

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #205 on: July 19, 2018, 06:28:59 AM »
Hi guys, it's been a while since I've been on (I need to fix all my pics), but I ran across a CL posting that would be if interest in this thread. Check out the aero on this guy...
https://flint.craigslist.org/cto/d/pontiac-455-super-duty-power/6639965511.html
Karl R. - Editor, Silver Blade Magazine
2008 Grand Prix GXP | 1981 Trans Am WS6 - LS3, T56 + other bits of gearhead joy.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #206 on: July 19, 2018, 06:48:20 AM »
Neat, interesting car.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #207 on: July 19, 2018, 07:13:06 AM »
Yea, there was quite a polarizing thread on PY forum about that car. It has an interesting history.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jeremy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2018, 08:00:53 PM »
After reading through the thread, I worked on blocking all openings in front of the core support to force all of the air through the AC condenser and the radiator.

It made quite a difference in the efficiency of the AC.  Before, it would cool the cabin, but just barely.  After sealing off the front, the AC was cool enough that my son asked me to turn down the blower.

The engine also ran cooler with the AC on.  Before sealing everything, the engine would creep up to 200-205 in town and come back down to 190 on the highway.  The highest I saw today was 186 in town and it stayed 183 on the highway.

When you get to looking, there are quite a few openings in the core support.  I was surprised.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Jeremy! 

Because I get so focused on  performance things like engine cooling, brake cooling, increasing down force etc. I don't think I ever mentioned the benefits for AC or automatic transmission coolers.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

1976 SE SF

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »
This post is the best thing about I've ever read
No one looks this cool and still passes smog https://flic.kr/p/2buNiyP

« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »
You can help support TAC!