2020-B2-3

Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 804505 times)

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I know what I believe.......do you?
Re: Today I...
« Reply #8640 on: March 20, 2020, 08:17:30 PM »
Oh I may have never mentioned this before but my wife and I both work at the auction......good times......
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

DeVilliers

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8641 on: March 24, 2020, 12:32:07 AM »
South Africa is going in full lock down from Friday, due to Covid 19. 21 days of not going anywhere.
So, now I hope my parts shipped out of the US arrives at my door before the lock down.

The sad part is, that my car is so close to being finished, but it will not be finished before the lock down. So I can't do anything.....

Guess I'll have to paint the house..........
1979 Trans Am

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #8642 on: March 24, 2020, 06:07:45 AM »
Today I..  have had enough of hearing about this ridiculous virus.  CNN and FOX play all day, every day at work.  There's no escaping the bullcrap. 

How many ways can you say the SAME THING over and over again?!?!

1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8643 on: March 24, 2020, 06:40:10 AM »
Today is day two of my "vacation".  Still havent gotten any word from my work if they are going to give any extra compensation if we wanted to come in and honestly it doesn't matter now. The Kansas City area and surrounding counties and  some cities bordering the city have put a shelter in place order for the next 30 days. Only essential travel allowed and essential businesses can remain open. Our business is not essential but it sounds like they may be trying to work with just the managers and salaried employees, which if they get caught it could result in a fine. My boss was there yesterday before the order took place and it said it was crazy. Fortunately, or not, depending on how you look at it, both the kids are still working. Our son is an auto tech/mech and our daughter is a dept manager at Natural Grocers.  Both considered essential businesses so they are doing their part to keep the economy going, however slow that may be.   

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8644 on: March 24, 2020, 05:21:12 PM »
Decaff,  at least your still working. Just tune out the bullcrap. Day 5 of my vacation, trying to get a waiver to work just so I can finish one job, can finish it myself in about 4 days time, alone, on a lake, no one around for miles. We will  see. Anyway working on a 20 year honey do list, no fun.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

« Reply #8644 on: March 24, 2020, 05:21:12 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8645 on: March 25, 2020, 06:59:29 AM »
My son loves rc cars, planes, boats and all things rc. He has had the countless cars from Newbright (a box store toy car). He found my box of kit cars a while back (expensive back in the day hobby type cars) from 30 years ago. We have been messing around with them over the past year or so and then a longtime friend of mine (who is a big kid) calls me up and wants to go drive rc cars. He bought one of those huge 1/5 scale Traxxax XMAXs for $1200 and then put another $600 into it. Anyway we found my 30 yo stuff is nothing like today's stuff with the Lithium batteries and brushless motors.  Anyway long story short he sold my son one of his cars he bought last year which was a re-release RC10 (which I have the of the original models) but his had the lithium batteries and brushless and this thing is fast, almost too fast. He was nice and sold it for $100, which is a lot for a 10 year old (he used his own money). I did supply the the controller and receiver ( bought it for one of the other cars on Amazon for $35) and batteries, which again we used on the other cars as we converted them to lipo too.

Anyway, now his is crazy fast and the one I drive is mediocre so I have a brushless motor and speed control coming so hopefully I can beat him.

Just a fun story and I am having fun with my old cars and we are spending time together.

For those who know old rc stuff here is a list of what we are working on and drive, all from the late 80's, early 90's

Bolink pan car
Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin (AKA lunch box)
Losi JRx2 (converted to a stadium truck) my favorite
RC10 A gold pan
RC10 A gold pan (converted to a stadium truck)
Traxxas nitro Hawk (converting it to electric)
Tamiya falcon
Tamiya something (can't remember it's name)
Tamiya Bearhawk
RC10 Worlds Car (re-release of the 80's cars above)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:31:06 AM by FormTA »
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8646 on: March 25, 2020, 07:17:41 AM »
I could always run the r/c cars straight away from me but when it came time to turn and come back I was lost! LOL.

Gold/tan, im trying to get a job finished right now in PA. I am on the opposite end of the state than you (actually right on the Susquehanna river-not county!) I am in MD and the job is just over the PA line. Finishing out a basement and we have about a weeks work left. Its in a 'posh' 'hood and im trying to keep a low profile. I am waiting for one of the neighbors to turn us in.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8647 on: March 25, 2020, 08:01:50 AM »
I always wanted a nice RC car or truck but they were expensive and I was really close in age to getting a real car so I had to choose. My best friend had a Lunch Box and a Kyosho Ultima. He ended up upgrading the motor in the Ultima and taking the original motor and putting it in the Lunch Box and changing the gears so it just basically did a constant wheel stand lol.  Had another friend that had RC10s along with a plane and helicopter. I would love one today but any extra income goes towards the GTA and more likely the house or DDs lol.  Form, you will have to post some pics. Would love to see them.

Reagan

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8648 on: March 25, 2020, 08:36:17 AM »
I updated the original post with a couple pictures.

Yes these things are crazy expensive now and then. I was a poor kid but I had rich friends.  I never bought one of these cars new or for much money.  I traded work and other things for them. I'm good at wiring, welding, fixing and other things they were not. I got quite  a few from the same friend who sold my son the new RC10. He buys toys like candy. When he gets bored I'm there to get his cast offs. He's a really great guy too, DC is just his hobby and old real cars are mine.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8649 on: March 25, 2020, 09:02:29 AM »
When he gets bored I'm there to get his cast offs. He's a really great guy too, DC is just his hobby and old real cars are mine.

haha, good to have friends like that!

I had one of the original T-Maxx trucks back when I was 12 and loved it. It was gas powered and was pretty fast. My love for it ended one day when I had a low battery in my truck (didn't realize) and went off full throttle and when I let off the truck kept going. Hit max speed and then slammed into a tree, got stuck there, and proceeded to keep going for several minutes at WOT. Needless to say it trashed the motor. Then I kinda lost interest.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

« Reply #8649 on: March 25, 2020, 09:02:29 AM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8650 on: March 25, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »
Haha! My friend also has a Tmaxx with every hop up part available.  He doesn't use it an wants to sell it to me but I can't spend $300 on a nitro truck.

Nitro was cool when it worked that's why I am converting the nitro Hawk to electric.  There is a guy on FB market selling 5 of the Tmaxxs for a $400. I thought abou buying the lot and selling off most just to keep two to convert to electric. 

70_71_78

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8651 on: March 25, 2020, 11:42:03 AM »
RC Cars with the kid! brought a smile to my face, great way to have fun and help a kid learn a lot at the same time, great family bonding too! My grand kids will be reaching that age soon, can't wait!

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8652 on: March 25, 2020, 05:42:13 PM »
Roadking,  there's a hand full of people that live on this lake full time, there is one that is in everyone's business.  Many I should take the trans am to work. Lol
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8653 on: March 26, 2020, 07:05:18 AM »
Not sure you could pass it off with a ladder sticking out of the t top, LOL.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8654 on: March 26, 2020, 07:10:23 AM »
I dont remember rc cars around when I was a kid, the only ones I am familiar with were the ones we got for my son at toys r us that ran on a couple of d batteries for about an hour before they died. Showing my age a bit, I did get a pretty cool gas dragster for my birthday though. It was Cox, and ran on a string. You would take a couple of concrete nails and set the string in the blacktop street (although our street was chip and tar so it didn't work as well as it should). The dragster had a couple of eye hooks that rode on the line set. There was a small gas motor under the lift of plastic motor. You spun the back tire to get it started and then set it down and watch it go. I also had an airplane that had the same motor that was attached to a string that you flew around in circles.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #8654 on: March 26, 2020, 07:10:23 AM »

2020-B1-8

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8655 on: March 26, 2020, 08:38:36 AM »
Those are string cars and they are worth quite a bit nowadays.  It crazy how far things have come. I just installed the brushless motor in one of my old cars and this this has so much torque I have to be careful it doesn't destroy the transmission. Also the new lithium batteries we got run the cars for over 1/2 hour, maybe even an hour.  I start to get tired before they die now. The battery technology and the energy consumption (or lack of) of the brushless it crazy. Not to mention the crazy torque.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8656 on: March 26, 2020, 06:46:34 PM »
Today I... found part of the reason for the CEL on my truck.  It was throwing a P0481 Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit Malfunction.

What's the first thing one should do if trying to fix anything electrical?  Check...  the.... FUSE.  Or, in  this case, the whole fuse box:

I've been looking everywhere for a new part, including the wiring harness and the relays.  I already have spare fuses.  Yup, it's going to be a junkyard item.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8657 on: March 26, 2020, 11:07:41 PM »
I threw my phone with the GPS speed app into my 30 year old losi car that I just installed a new esc and brushless motor in. It was a cheap foreign set from Amazon.  The car got up to 34mph. I couldn't get my phone safely into my son's car but his is still faster, probably 5-10 mph. I know it doesn't sound like much but a wrong move and these cars go tumbling and pieces go flying. The also sound cool as they fly by you.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8658 on: March 27, 2020, 07:27:30 AM »
That sounds outrageously fast!  I wish is still had that dragster, as it was in mint condition. I prized that thing. It sat on my shelf when not in use. When I moved out of my parents home all of the stuff I left behind (mostly toys) were put into the basement. Dad finally got tired of the mess and told me and my siblings if we wanted anything we better come get it. Typically we didn't think he would do anything. He hired a guy to clean out the basement. I literally had big brown shopping bags full of matchbox and hot wheels. Between myself and 3 older brothers I had just about everyone ever made going back to the originals. I see the prices of some of them and know that I had them in my collection, makes me sick to think about it.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8659 on: March 27, 2020, 10:50:30 AM »
We had Cox gas stuff with string when I was a kid. I spent more time playing with Estes rockets though.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

« Reply #8659 on: March 27, 2020, 10:50:30 AM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8660 on: March 27, 2020, 10:56:22 AM »
I got a couple Estes rockets for my son for Christmas last year. We lost one but the other went on for many missions.  Those are fun too!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8661 on: March 27, 2020, 12:32:09 PM »
Yea, I had a couple of those as well. It seemed the little ones would always go the farthest. We even had contests in grade school for them. Some guys would come in with the big Saturn V copies that would go about 20 feet and drop out.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8662 on: March 27, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »
That is really cool. Great activity now that everybody is quarantined too.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8663 on: March 27, 2020, 09:33:58 PM »
Yes, it keeps us busy and I enjoy wrenching on little cars too.

On a side note, little car 35 mph into immovable object = lots of little pieces... Well the front of my favorite car is in a bunch of pieces.... the parts are almost impossible to find. Looks like I'll be spending some time in front of my mill... I have to make the complete front bulkhead tha th the A arms and shocks attach to. It doesn't look like it will be too hard to make out of aluminum.  Some milling, drilling and tapping.... Well, we'll se how this goes.

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8664 on: March 29, 2020, 06:23:40 AM »
Ok so it not today but Friday was kind of a whirlwind. I got the call from my boss that they are allowing a few people to come in if they want to.  I’m glad I told him yes because my wife’s call wasn’t as good.........remember we work at the same company. She is officially furloughed until??  She is supposed to get an official letter according to her boss, so I guess we’ll see how long her vacation is. We are going to get her set up on unemployment today. Little scary since the house payment comes out of her check. She is usually a month ahead and she still has some of her grandma’s inheritance so we’ll see. She is also looking at updating her resume and being proactive as possible, just in case there is a huge restructuring. Time to tighten the belts.

Now on to more car related stuff. A few posts earlier I mentioned my son was making his GXP GP into a mild beast. We went Friday to pick up his transmission. With the parts the guy put into it, it should be good for a build up to 700hp,  which sounds insane to me for anything, much less a front drive vehicle. My son had also got his heads back from a different shop. He kept the stock ones and had them cleaned up and gone through thoroughly. He had them upgrade the springs and had a 5 angle valve job done in them. I get to work on the back deck project today and enjoy some sunny weather for a change.

Reagan

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8665 on: March 30, 2020, 09:29:29 AM »
Finally finished the part for the rc car. It took longer than I expected and it's not perfect but it pretty good. I figured since it's mechanical somewhat you all might me interested to see the process and product. There was quite a bit of milling, drilling and tapping to create this.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8666 on: March 30, 2020, 09:56:16 AM »
Great job man!!

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8667 on: March 30, 2020, 12:45:55 PM »
Great job Luke!  I would love to have a setup like yours, and know how to use it.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8668 on: March 30, 2020, 08:34:57 PM »
Thanks but I am an ameba when it comes to machining...
This is the best I could do. It does fit and function but it not 100% accurate.  I am kind of proud of it though as it was quite a bit of milling, flipping, repositioning, drilling and tapping.  A CNC would have finished it in minutes but this took hours...

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8669 on: March 31, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »
Its that kind of stuff that will give you needed practice. Every piece you make will be one more closer to perfection.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #8669 on: March 31, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8670 on: March 31, 2020, 08:57:42 AM »
Very true.  If it works, then it's good.  My dad was a machinist and he used to say "you cut it until it fits".  That is especially important when threading.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8671 on: March 31, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »
When he gets bored I'm there to get his cast offs. He's a really great guy too, DC is just his hobby and old real cars are mine.

haha, good to have friends like that!

I had one of the original T-Maxx trucks back when I was 12 and loved it. It was gas powered and was pretty fast. My love for it ended one day when I had a low battery in my truck (didn't realize) and went off full throttle and when I let off the truck kept going. Hit max speed and then slammed into a tree, got stuck there, and proceeded to keep going for several minutes at WOT. Needless to say it trashed the motor. Then I kinda lost interest.

I something similar. I got my first nitro RC when I was 12ish. It was an AE TC3.

I was looking at the instructions, and set the idle and mixture screws on the carb as directed, but being a dummy I set the screws without running them all the way in and then backing them out.

I took it outside, fired it up, and it took off basically at full throttle. I quickly lost sight of it as it went down the street. I got on my bike and found it down at the other end of the street embedded in someones flowerbed. Looked like a torpedo struck the flowers. lol
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8672 on: April 02, 2020, 05:13:56 AM »
That's funny! I had a similar experience with my Traxxas Nitro Hawk. Once it got out of range ot would go full throttle in whatever direction it was headed.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8673 on: April 02, 2020, 08:23:40 AM »
Monday evening our Gov. issued a mandatory stay at home. We went to work on Tuesday and got our project about 90% finished, loaded up all of our tools and materials and headed home. I need about 3 more days and a trip to Lowes to finish. Stayed home yesterday and cleaned the garage/shop up, built some shelves and organized a bit. Got a little more to do today and things will be pretty much where I need them. Lots of people still out and about, I saw quite a few lawn mower/landscaper trucks passing by. To me this is not really a necessity. Think im gonna sit it out today and tomorrow and try to finish our job next week.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8674 on: April 02, 2020, 12:16:54 PM »
To Hell with all of this nonsense going on.  I'm living my life no differently at all. 

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8675 on: April 02, 2020, 08:18:29 PM »
One hospital is at capacity here and transfering patients to another.  It's getting bad here. I hear Detroit is bad too. We have been home for a couple weeks so far. We have enough stuff to get us by for 4 weeks. I hope it starts getting better.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #8676 on: April 02, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »
It's not nonsense DeCaff... this is very serious and not going to get any better anytime soon. They are saying best case scenario is 240,000 fatalities.

Regards, Jack

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8677 on: April 03, 2020, 04:30:23 AM »
Agreed, this is not going to get better any time soon. My state (PA) is climbing higher everyday. I fear until there is a vaccine it will not stop.

Stay home as much as possible, It hard but must be done to slow the spread.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8678 on: April 03, 2020, 05:07:12 AM »
Difficult to stock fresh food for 2-3 weeks, so a weekly trip to store is needed.  To add insult to injury, it appears raccoons have decided to live in my chimney.  Exterminator will be back to trap them.  This is a strange situation.  DeCaff as time goes this thing will spread until a definitive method of dealing with it is found.  It’s a real thing, so don’t shrug it off.
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8679 on: April 03, 2020, 06:02:02 AM »
One scenario that could play out is most of the population in certain areas get exposed to it and develop immunity to it so it can't spread anymore in that area. But that is the scenario with the most fatalities and it's what is going to happen if enough people take DeCaff's approach.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

« Reply #8679 on: April 03, 2020, 06:02:02 AM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3