Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 723339 times)

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
Re: Today I...
« Reply #8320 on: September 29, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »
Too funny, that is one wise cat!! LOL. Did you name him 'Roady'?

His name is "Buster".... We chose that because I think I just called him that and he responded to it.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8321 on: September 29, 2019, 03:59:07 PM »
I picked up another jetski from a guy at our lake. (For free). In his garage he has a 1979 nocturne trans am with 11,000 miles on it. He bought it new and only drives it when it nice. I ask when the last time he had it out and he said, " two days ago I took a trip to the bank in it". I took photos of body panels for documentation of GM original alignment. Its dusty but nice.

Manual windows and locks, standard interior,  power antenna, power trunk and Ttops. 403 auto. Just changed out the original tires for the matching repop ones. Kept the original tires.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:03:27 PM by FormTA »
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8322 on: September 30, 2019, 06:27:23 AM »
Nice car, looks like it could use a coat of wax though!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8323 on: September 30, 2019, 08:16:13 AM »
Definitely! I was really interested in the panel alignment. My car matches or is better depending on the part so I don't feel bad. It was cool to see.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #8324 on: October 01, 2019, 07:43:57 PM »
Today I... broke the crankshaft position sensor clean flush with the block of my Silverado.......

JUST.... EFFING... WONDERFUL....

Besides that, it's still leaking power steering fluid worse than ever before. 

Something tells me I should have taken the settlement payout when I had the chance. 

Good thing my Firebird is still running because otherwise I'd be EFFED.  Oh, wait.........
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

« Reply #8324 on: October 01, 2019, 07:43:57 PM »

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8325 on: October 01, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
Today I... broke the crankshaft position sensor clean flush with the block of my Silverado.......

Something tells me I should have taken the settlement payout when I had the chance. 

Good thing my Firebird is still running because otherwise I'd be EFFED.  Oh, wait.........
Sorry to hear about all the trouble.I hope things get better soon.

I was in your or a similar situation a few years back ( at least I think I was) three cars but not one I could count on. I read on a car forum or in a car magazine somewhere about the “One good car theory”. The idea is that you can have a bunch of project cars but you must have one that is newer/younger. I chose to make that one my wife’s car and spent a lot more money than I was comfortable with on it and got her a couple year old, low mileage, sedan like she wanted. Then with it not breaking down all the time we had something to go and get parts with or to count on at the last minute for whatever event we had to be at. Even though we owed some money on it, it sure took a lot of stress out of my life. Now I will alway ensure that at least one of our cars is young enough to be absolutely reliable and need only minor maintenance. My cut off for that car is under ten years old and less than 80,000miles.(that’s when I sell it and get something newish)
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #8326 on: October 01, 2019, 09:32:56 PM »
@Decaff, why did you break it? You're suppose to fix it! :lol: Accidents happen.

If it makes you feel better, I completely ruined a perfect roof/quarter joint fill last weekend. I say "perfect" without exaggeration. I used All Metal and Rage for fillers and made templates for the perfect shape. For some dumb reason I wanted to see what my work looked like under paint. It looked perfect! I could clearly see myself in the wet paint with little to no distorion. Then I used acetone on paper towels to remove the laquer paint. I left it on for too long and the acetone went right through the paint and started attacking the Rage in my joint. To make matters worse, I didn't leave it alone to dry. I went at it with sand paper and messed up a little bit of my All Metal fill. Totally dumb and noone to blame but myself; total lack of experience is my best defence.  :shock: :grin:

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #8327 on: October 02, 2019, 04:29:28 AM »

Waiting...

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8328 on: October 02, 2019, 06:05:57 AM »
NAS T, that's about how I look at owning a car. I despise the idea of payments just so everyone can see me driving a new car. Not counting my T/A I have 4 cars to keep on the road. 2 work trucks and my wife has 2 cars. Her Mercedes is going on 19 years old, still runs great but just failed emissions and im not sure its worth putting any more money into it. She has a newer low mileage mustang that is driven semi regular so that's our back up reliable car. But, im afraid I will be looking for a 'new-er' sedan in a few months to replace the benz. My f 150 has close to 300k, still looks great and I put a new trans in last year. So it should be around for a few more years. My expedition has about 150k and still runs great. I keep everything maintainded on a regular basis and for the most part they are pretty reliable.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8329 on: October 04, 2019, 01:21:48 PM »
Today I saw this and had to share

Movie...The Wraith

https://www.facebook.com/346546742370002/posts/839162033108468/
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8330 on: October 04, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »
That brought some old memories...

Regards, Jack

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8331 on: October 04, 2019, 04:31:39 PM »

Sorry to hear about all the trouble.I hope things get better soon.

I was in your or a similar situation a few years back ( at least I think I was) three cars but not one I could count on. I read on a car forum or in a car magazine somewhere about the “One good car theory”. The idea is that you can have a bunch of project cars but you must have one that is newer/younger. I chose to make that one my wife’s car and spent a lot more money than I was comfortable with on it and got her a couple year old, low mileage, sedan like she wanted. Then with it not breaking down all the time we had something to go and get parts with or to count on at the last minute for whatever event we had to be at. Even though we owed some money on it, it sure took a lot of stress out of my life. Now I will alway ensure that at least one of our cars is young enough to be absolutely reliable and need only minor maintenance. My cut off for that car is under ten years old and less than 80,000miles.(that’s when I sell it and get something newish)

I get what you are saying, but right now I'm in no situation to be going further in debt.  That didn't stop me from looking, though:  https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/4T4BF1FK0GR582191

Even though my first Camry was 15 years old and I got for free, it turned out to be really reliable after some routine maintenance.  Then, I had another two others as rentals (through work).  Really solid drivers.

I showed the woman the link and she...... encouraged the idea.  W..T..F..

*Donning Flame Suit*  Only tree huggers, democrats, and lazy people drive "new" cars. 

Then, I told the woman I'd have to trade in the 98 Bird that I just spent a small fortune on to make it road worthy.  I'd get about $300 on a trade in for that.  Maybe.....  She told me, "You know they're just going to take $300 off the price of the Camry and crush the Firebird".  Part of my soul died at the thought of that.  Can't do it. 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8332 on: October 04, 2019, 06:12:22 PM »
That's a nice car and the price is below what I've seen. I'm in the same boat but can't bring myself to spend that much or even half of that on a car... Priorities rule my life. 

Regards, Jack

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8333 on: October 05, 2019, 08:38:25 AM »
Ok, I've now owned 3 Camrys and think they are really great in the reliability department. If you only get $300 for the bird why trade it in, sell it private. That way you can negotiate better on the price of any car at the dealers.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #8334 on: October 05, 2019, 10:45:03 AM »
*Donning Flame Suit*  Only tree huggers, democrats, and lazy people drive "new" cars.

...or maybe some of us have sorted out having reliable transportation is far better than always calling their dad to get them out of a jam? 

maybe we don't want to constantly wrench on some hoopty in an Autozone parking lot? 

maybe my wife likes a car that starts and runs when visiting a client or goes to lunch with one of the firms partners? 

perhaps the time and money I save not having to mend my daily driver means more to my hobby cars?

To be polite, your statement lacks any wisdom - flame suits won't help.

« Reply #8334 on: October 05, 2019, 10:45:03 AM »

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8335 on: October 05, 2019, 03:06:33 PM »

...or maybe some of us have sorted out having reliable transportation is far better than always calling their dad to get them out of a jam? 

maybe we don't want to constantly wrench on some hoopty in an Autozone parking lot? 

maybe my wife likes a car that starts and runs when visiting a client or goes to lunch with one of the firms partners? 

perhaps the time and money I save not having to mend my daily driver means more to my hobby cars?

I don't give a poop if someone calls me LAZY for driving a car new enough to not require carrying a tool box and coveralls in the trunk. I'm just glad I don't need to do that anymore.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #8336 on: October 05, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
You can take my newish pick-up from my cold, dead hands! :lol:

I'm only 83% sure that Decaf was making a joke.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 05:17:54 PM by Ford5of5 »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8337 on: October 05, 2019, 05:28:49 PM »
Would hope so....

We buy a new car (or newish) and drive it until is starts to give us continuous trouble or it gets old and a bunch of miles, whichever comes first. My truck is 2012 and hasn't given me much trouble, it has 94k on it I hope it lasts 5 more years but we'll see. My wife's car is a 2015 we bought brand new early 2014, it's been a great car so far. We save up and just pay cash for them that way we don't have payments. I can see that being an issue if you spend all your extra cash on constantly fixing your current car...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 06:48:17 AM by FormTA »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8338 on: October 05, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
Would hope so....

We buy a new car (or newish) and drive it until is starts to give us continuous trouble or it gets old and a bunch of miles, whichever comes first. My truck is 2012 and hasn't given me much trouble, it has 94k on it I hope it lasts 5 more years but we'll see. My wife's car is a 2015 we bought brand new early 2014, it's been a great car so far. We save up and just pay cash for them that way we don't have payments. I can see tha TV being an issue if you spend all your extra cash on constantly fixing your current car...

Hmmm not sure what you mean.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8339 on: October 06, 2019, 06:54:27 AM »
I can see it being tough to start the cycle if you don't have cash. You can't save if you are constantly spending money on fixing current vehicles. We were lucky and my wife's job/business took off so we were able to buy a new car (while I was fixing my daily junkers).

My suggestion would be to buy an inexpensive new(er) car say a kia or something.  Ya, ya, I know, but hey it's a new car and it's reliable. It's less stressful if you have one you can depend on.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8340 on: October 07, 2019, 06:33:08 AM »

Haha, well said. I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm assuming that Decaff was making a joke though.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8341 on: October 07, 2019, 06:51:51 AM »
Well I posted my "new" truck (2000 OBS CCSB with the LS swap) on Craigslist Tuesday for a price that would leave me with a nice little profit, and if someone wanted it more than me, I'd let it go. Well that happened and someone drove out on Thursday and met me right after work, gave me my full asking price and now I don't have a vehicle haha. Thankfully I have a car to drive in the meantime, but I forget how much I hate car/truck shopping... It sounds fun, but is just stressful.

If anyone has a 14+ Silverado/Sierra Crew cab they are looking to sell or trade in please let me know. It would need to be fairly close to NY. Long shot, but doesn't hurt to ask.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8342 on: October 07, 2019, 07:26:57 AM »
Well I posted my "new" truck (2000 OBS CCSB with the LS swap) on Craigslist Tuesday for a price that would leave me with a nice little profit, and if someone wanted it more than me, I'd let it go. Well that happened and someone drove out on Thursday and met me right after work, gave me my full asking price and now I don't have a vehicle haha. Thankfully I have a car to drive in the meantime, but I forget how much I hate car/truck shopping... It sounds fun, but is just stressful.

If anyone has a 14+ Silverado/Sierra Crew cab they are looking to sell or trade in please let me know. It would need to be fairly close to NY. Long shot, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Can't help you, but I can empathize a little, I need to replace my aging Duramax and it's killing me. I think I'll end up buying a gas half ton as the diesel trucks are just tooo expensive.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

76 - 455 - 4

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8343 on: October 07, 2019, 07:30:45 AM »
If anyone has a 14+ Silverado/Sierra Crew cab they are looking to sell or trade in please let me know.
I just picked up a '98 Silverado stepside for my youngest daughter. Great running (and looking) truck. Its great to see at least some youngsters interested in older vehicles. Most could care less as long as they have a phone in their hands.

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8344 on: October 07, 2019, 08:50:23 AM »
If anyone has a 14+ Silverado/Sierra Crew cab they are looking to sell or trade in please let me know.
I just picked up a '98 Silverado stepside for my youngest daughter. Great running (and looking) truck. Its great to see at least some youngsters interested in older vehicles. Most could care less as long as they have a phone in their hands.

I learned how to drive in a 95 GMC 2500. I went on to own a few 88-98 stepside trucks throughout high school and college, and they're by far the easiest to drive vehicles I've ever owned.

I'm actually looking for another one again. You just don't see them around anymore.
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

T/A Daddy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8345 on: October 07, 2019, 09:28:18 AM »
Currently have an 88 stepside regular cab Silverado  restored in 2000 121k & a  96 Yukon  138k( I sold a 93 Bonneville SSEI for  in  98). The C/K platform  is my favorite truck style and both trucks have been trouble free !( both getting only fuel pumps as major repairs & pinion seal & Water pump in Yukon)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8346 on: October 07, 2019, 05:17:52 PM »
Holy Cow! you guys make me feel old. Learning to drive on in a '95 car!  First vehicle I drove was a 67 f 100 with a 3 on the tree.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

76 - 455 - 4

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8347 on: October 07, 2019, 05:35:34 PM »
Holy Cow! you guys make me feel old. Learning to drive on in a '95 car!  First vehicle I drove was a 67 f 100 with a 3 on the tree.
I learned with a '70 LTD. So I'm not far behind you! :)
It's my 15 YO daughter that wanted the '98 Silverado. She got her wish. (after we fix it up a bit)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8348 on: October 08, 2019, 03:59:54 AM »
Learned to drive in a 1981 Buick Lesabre station wagon with a Pontiac 301. Man, that was a lot of car for such a small engine.

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8349 on: October 08, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »

If you wanna feel older, that 95 was 12 years old at the time. lol  :lol:
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

T/A Daddy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8350 on: October 08, 2019, 03:17:23 PM »
Learned to drive in a1980 Olds Delta 88 455 2bbl, mistook the gas for the brake one time - I guess that's why my Dad was bald!  :D First car 1963 Impala 283 w/ ac , Dad Bought it new and passed down to Mom, 2 brothers then me! ( He always got 4 door sedans unfortunately!  :sad:

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8351 on: October 09, 2019, 08:32:36 AM »

If you wanna feel older, that 95 was 12 years old at the time. lol  :lol:

I was only 7, haha. I learned on a combination of a 2000 Camry and 97 Silverado.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8352 on: October 09, 2019, 04:29:14 PM »
I learned stick on a 76 TR6 if that counts. But I was also only 9 in 95 lol. And learned to drive otherwise in a modern car
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:49:10 AM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #8353 on: October 09, 2019, 10:28:58 PM »
The car I learned to drive in was an '80 Buick Century with a gutless 3.8 V6 with 110 HP. I learned to drive stick on my Dad's '83 Mazda 323...it was even more gutless than the Buick!  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:33:41 PM by gm muscle »
1977 Trans Am stroked 400 (468)
1989 Iroc-Z28 5.7 TPI 90K original miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS LS 2/4L65e
1997 Silverado 5.7 Z71 Single Cab, Short box (daily driver)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8354 on: October 10, 2019, 04:40:23 AM »
I learned stick on a 82 ford Escort. Talk about a death trap. Those were such a cheap rattle trap, tin cans.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:48:49 AM by FormTA »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8355 on: October 10, 2019, 06:16:09 AM »
Technically I learned to drive a clutch on a 1973 Kawasaki 100 dirt bike. I was in third grade, my brothers were gifted the motorcycle for both of them making the honor roll all year in school. I was too short to hold the bike up but could reach the pegs. My older brother would start the bike and hold it while I started and I had to time my stopping to end up where he was so I wouldn't fall over!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8356 on: October 10, 2019, 04:02:22 PM »
I learned on a 55 cub tractor!!
Charlie

chief poncho

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8357 on: October 10, 2019, 04:54:33 PM »
I learned on a 1975 International Travelall, driving in the snow in Alaska! 

1971 Lucerne Blue Trans Am (455HO, Automatic) - currently my project car.
Previously Owned TA's/Musclecars: 2002 Pewter WS6/M6 Trans Am, 1968 Dodge Superbee 383/4speed,  1975 TA 455/4speed, 1989 Mustang LX 5.0/5speed, 1980 TA Indy Pace Car, 1977 TA 400/Auto, 1989 GTA 350TPI, 1990 GTA 350TPI, 1986 IROC 305TPI, 1989 Mustang LX 5.0/Auto, 1993 Mitsu 3000GT VR4 (and probably a few I've forgotten about)

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8358 on: October 11, 2019, 05:22:07 AM »
I learned the art of the 5-speed on a 1987 Dodge Shadow.  I was all of 18 years old.  Could have been a super fun car but I never maintained it.

My parents tried and failed to get me to buy some 90's Buick from that same dealer because it had less mileage and "looked more reliable".  LOL hindsight is 20/20!

So, with that, in keeping this thread on topic, Today I...  will be tearing into the 98 again.  It's had a flashing CEL, no power, and misfires/backfiring for weeks now and I've simply not had the time to check it out.

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8359 on: October 12, 2019, 11:32:10 AM »
I had a light blue/teal 93 dodge shadow...I loved that car...paid 50 bucks for it and had it on the road for under 500 bucks...it was no looker but a lot fun to drive...had a screw driver for the ignition as my former brother in law lost the key and didn't want to replace it! It needed the rad fan addressed as it would overheat if left idling too long but my ex would let me fix the problem. It also needed a new battery but I wasn't allowed to get one so I would haul out a much larger 12v battery from the trunk and boost the car just to embarrass her in front of her bosses. Should've let me fix it properly 
Charlie

« Reply #8359 on: October 12, 2019, 11:32:10 AM »
You can help support TAC!