Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 768785 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #8200 on: August 13, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »
The last time this was a car and I drove it was 1998. I'm just used to seeing it as a rusted, primered mess.

For those that don't read my thread,  I just sprayed the shell and doors with actual color on Sunday.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:42:30 PM by FormTA »
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #8201 on: August 13, 2019, 08:58:59 PM »
^^^ Excellent!

A friend has a 68 Bird ragtop which the 350 has a crack on one of the core plugs.  He bought another 350 engine but the lower right bellhousing mount broke when the seller moved it.  We cleaned up the area, ground a vee and heliarced it back in place with Silicon Bronze today.  Hope it holds for at least 6 months, We should swap out the motor's this weekend.   We found a 400 short block at a friend's in Seattle and will build that.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #8202 on: August 13, 2019, 09:28:00 PM »
Gah, the last time you drove it I was six or seven depending on if it was before December or not.  I don't have the patience to keep a car for more than a few years, even if it's working, so good on you for being committed!  I know I've read the thread, but I guess I never commented.  *thinks of witty response to post there*

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8203 on: August 13, 2019, 11:46:47 PM »

I'm afraid without context my statement is open to too much interpretation.  It's nothing material that I want...  No...  If only it were that easy...  I guess there's no point in dancing around it; it's my inability to have children.  So every time one of the all too frequent reminders comes about it gets to me, and nine out of ten I tear up and am depressed for the rest of the day.  I'm not sure if there's ever adjusting for something you need rather than want.

Lots of people who want them, can’t have children. This is not a life destroying issue. Big Sister /Big Brother and Adoption are two options. You can also be a more involved Aunt/Uncle in your own family if there are some nieces or nephews. It takes a village to raise children well, be part of the village.

Stop complaining and wallowing in self pity, look around, go help someone else who has it worse than you. I know if you look, people with real needs and issues  are easy to find. As long as you focus on your own issues, you will never be happy.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8204 on: August 14, 2019, 04:45:16 AM »
Wow, well written/spoken. Great advice. 

« Reply #8204 on: August 14, 2019, 04:45:16 AM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #8205 on: August 14, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »
Expecting the paint to peel off or something?  Hey, you weren't in Van Nuys when you painted it were you? :lol:

LOL!!!
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8206 on: August 14, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »

I'm afraid without context my statement is open to too much interpretation.  It's nothing material that I want...  No...  If only it were that easy...  I guess there's no point in dancing around it; it's my inability to have children.  So every time one of the all too frequent reminders comes about it gets to me, and nine out of ten I tear up and am depressed for the rest of the day.  I'm not sure if there's ever adjusting for something you need rather than want.

Lots of people who want them, can’t have children. This is not a life destroying issue. Big Sister /Big Brother and Adoption are two options. You can also be a more involved Aunt/Uncle in your own family if there are some nieces or nephews. It takes a village to raise children well, be part of the village.

Stop complaining and wallowing in self pity, look around, go help someone else who has it worse than you. I know if you look, people with real needs and issues  are easy to find. As long as you focus on your own issues, you will never be happy.
It's not the same, and you wouldn't understand.  NO MAN WOULD UNDERSTAND.  Go and talk to any other woman, bio or trans doesn't matter, that isn't able to have children when that's the one thing they want the most.  To be a mom...  I was more than enough involved with rearing my little brother and sister as it was after my mom became disabled, but now they're in that "leave me alone" teen phase.

Being barren isn't a real issue?  Fibromyalgia isn't a real issue?  Wanting to kill myself every other day BECAUSE I HATE MYSELF isn't a real issue?  Thanks for being a typical male and ruining my day.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8207 on: August 14, 2019, 12:02:00 PM »
You know what, I'm done here.  I don't belong anyway, so whatever.

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8208 on: August 14, 2019, 11:02:22 PM »

It's not the same, and you wouldn't understand.  NO MAN WOULD UNDERSTAND.  Go and talk to any other woman, bio or trans doesn't matter, that isn't able to have children when that's the one thing they want the most.  To be a mom...  I was more than enough involved with rearing my little brother and sister as it was after my mom became disabled, but now they're in that "leave me alone" teen phase.

Being barren isn't a real issue?  Fibromyalgia isn't a real issue?  Wanting to kill myself every other day BECAUSE I HATE MYSELF isn't a real issue?  Thanks for being a typical male and ruining my day.
More self pity like you are the only person in the world who has been wronged.

As afar as I know you are intelligent, able bodied, employed, have a roof over your head and food on the table. You live in a free democracy at a time when its never been better to be transgender. You have access to the best medical in the world and live free to make any decisions you want.

Depending on which studies you choose to compare, you have it better than at least 95% of the population of the whole world, but that is not good enough for you.

As long as you focus on what you can’t have, instead of all you are blessed with and as long as you don’t look around to see if there is someone who has it worst than you that you can help. You will never be happy.

Did you really only come here to vent about your problems and when you don’t get the empathy or sympathy you seek, you’re done.

You think I’m trying to be hurtful, that is not my intention at all. However I can tell you I know you are on a no solution path with all the “poor me, look at me I’ve been dealt a bad hand” crap.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #8209 on: August 16, 2019, 07:51:49 AM »

More self pity like you are the only person in the world who has been wronged.

As afar as I know you are intelligent, able bodied, employed, have a roof over your head and food on the table. You live in a free democracy at a time when its never been better to be transgender. You have access to the best medical in the world and live free to make any decisions you want.

Depending on which studies you choose to compare, you have it better than at least 95% of the population of the whole world, but that is not good enough for you.

As long as you focus on what you can’t have, instead of all you are blessed with and as long as you don’t look around to see if there is someone who has it worst than you that you can help. You will never be happy.

Did you really only come here to vent about your problems and when you don’t get the empathy or sympathy you seek, you’re done.

You think I’m trying to be hurtful, that is not my intention at all. However I can tell you I know you are on a no solution path with all the “poor me, look at me I’ve been dealt a bad hand” crap.

I don't check this post often as I don't like reading all of the drama... But I agree with Rob, if you think that you have problems just go and visit a pediatric cancer ward. Self pity is the easy way out.   

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8210 on: August 16, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »
My neighbors are those kind hearted, do good kinda people. And I mean this in the most sincerest form. Really good people. They have 2 young daughters, and have adopted an orphan from Africa, same age as my 7 yo, and they have an orphan from China that is severely handicapped, in a wheelchair, I think he is about 5 or 6. That little kid is always smiling and laughing about something and very outgoing. I think about him and my problems seem to disappear a bit.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8211 on: August 16, 2019, 02:09:20 PM »
I regret my choice of words "real issue" in the past post. It shows my bias in categorizing peoples problems. I did not intend to downplay Casey's issues as much as I intended to point out that others do have it far worse. I hope Casey you can find happiness, I hope you find a way to forgive your Father (and any others who have hurt you) as harbouring ill feelings toward him only hurts you( like poison in your veins).

But I'm correct in my advise that you need to focus outside yourself and help someone else with their issues, maybe volunteering on a suicide help line or something else that feels right to you.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #8212 on: August 18, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »
I was going to go with "REFORGED" but snapped up this the other day:

the "USA' part is because a lot of dolts don't realize NM is an actual state...

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8213 on: August 19, 2019, 07:05:05 AM »
I thought that New Mexico was just the newest part of Mexico... Huh, ya learned me something new... (That be sarcasm for those born yesterday). :-D

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8214 on: August 19, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »
Nice plate, guess theres not that many Pontiac guys in NM.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #8214 on: August 19, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #8215 on: August 19, 2019, 04:29:52 PM »
no, mostly Challys and Mustangs - but I wonder if others thought there was no way in hell that plate would be available; the MVD gal was quite surprised too!

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8216 on: August 19, 2019, 11:52:15 PM »
Lucky Dog
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8217 on: September 02, 2019, 04:41:39 PM »
Got some color on a few engine today.

70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8218 on: September 02, 2019, 07:25:43 PM »

omg by R J, on Flickr

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8219 on: September 03, 2019, 05:19:44 AM »

Garage art? Do they have homes?

Regards, Jack

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8220 on: September 03, 2019, 08:21:20 AM »

COMMON!!!!!

they look beautiful!!!!!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(19 years and counting but still have her)

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8221 on: September 03, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »

Garage art? Do they have homes?

The one in the middle doesn't... yet. I've been toying with the idea of putting it in my 71. Maybe over the winter.
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8222 on: September 04, 2019, 07:47:27 AM »

A few things I see here that I'm curious about. 

1.  The engine on the left:  Why is it propped up on the harmonic balancer, as opposed to the oil pan?

2.  I've never installed a supercharger before.  I didn't know they sit on top of the intake manifold.  I thought the bottom half of the supercharger IS the intake manifold.  So seeing that, is that the stock intake or is it something specific to a supercharger setup?  On that same note, how do you NOT have a home for that beautiful powerhouse?  Again, on THAT same note, why spend $4k+ on a supercharger setup, and cheap out on a rusty crank pulley for that same engine?

Ok I'm done.

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8223 on: September 04, 2019, 11:24:27 AM »
]

A few things I see here that I'm curious about. 

1.  The engine on the left:  Why is it propped up on the harmonic balancer, as opposed to the oil pan?

2.  I've never installed a supercharger before.  I didn't know they sit on top of the intake manifold.  I thought the bottom half of the supercharger IS the intake manifold.  So seeing that, is that the stock intake or is it something specific to a supercharger setup?  On that same note, how do you NOT have a home for that beautiful powerhouse?  Again, on THAT same note, why spend $4k+ on a supercharger setup, and cheap out on a rusty crank pulley for that same engine?

Ok I'm done.

1. No real reason. Just the way I put it on there. It wont hurt it.

2. Traditional roots blowers sit on a blower style intake. Modern superchargers usually have the intake built into the base of them.

The blower is actually sitting on a Ford intake right now. I'm looking for a Pontiac intake. I had it on a 302 previously. It's just resting on the 455, not installed.

I'll find a home for it. The crank pulley is original, and needs to be blasted and painted. It's in perfect shape other than being ugly.
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8224 on: September 05, 2019, 08:20:03 PM »
Today, while I was waiting for my wife to finish work, her coworkers husband showed up with this little gem

https://flic.kr/p/2hbccWj

https://flic.kr/p/2hbeQJY

He said he just got it on the road yesterday
305 automatic

This is pretty much what my car would have looked like if I kept it together 100 years ago instead of dismantling the poor thing!!

Charlie

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8225 on: September 06, 2019, 07:12:57 AM »
Nice looking car. I like to see Firebirds.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8226 on: September 06, 2019, 09:00:56 AM »
Me too. They weren't all Trans Ams originally...

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8227 on: September 06, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »
No it's the other way around... all are Firebirds but some have the Trans Am trim.

Regards, Jack

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8228 on: September 07, 2019, 07:22:09 AM »
Firebird - base model low on the trim totem pole
Firebird Esprit (mine) - has some options like, T-Tops, tilt steering column, rear spoiler, V8 engine, etc etc but basic suspension and handling
Firebird Formula - upgraded engine, suspension and handling package, formula hood and all the other little incidentals that were options with previous models
Firebird Trans Am - Engine and suspension package, appearance package like fender spoilers and shaker hood, vented fenders, and any myriad of options inside

any corrections are welcome but this is a quick run down essentially of what was going on back then, as some of the new people to this world may not know.

I'm assuming there was a hint of sarcasm in "they weren't all Trans Ams originally..." comment and it didn't go un noticed. I love sarcasm...makes me laugh every time!! :D
Charlie

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8229 on: September 07, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »
I was serious.  All you see is Trans Ams as it seems every base model or Formula was "cloned" to a trans am. I like seeing the other models too.

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8230 on: September 07, 2019, 03:28:16 PM »
I was serious.  All you see is Trans Ams as it seems every base model or Formula was "cloned" to a trans am. I like seeing the other models too.

Oh...my apologies sir, and I hope I didn't offend...Learning something all the time
Charlie

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #8231 on: September 07, 2019, 06:23:12 PM »
Day one of race driving school; flogged the hell out of my TA.

Learned a lot, including my tires are too hard and narrow for serious track work.  Other students drove a 2014 Camaro SS and 2016 Stingray - beat then both as they are afraid to risk them, though the Camaro guy is gaining confidence.  Rode with the instructor in her 2004 (?) ZO6; dispelled any notion of my car vs hers with equal drivers turning in the same time!

Tomorrow we drive spec Miatas to concentrate on form

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8232 on: September 07, 2019, 06:38:54 PM »
Today I... have completed one of my better works.

Before:

After:

I ended up installing this, too.

The reason this wasn't just "sawzall off and bolt on" is because the flange to catalytic converter was... well... see first pic.

The exhaust kit from Rock Auto didn't come with any kind of replacement, nor did it come with spring bolts  :x  Had to order the male end of a ball and socket connection separately, then modify it to fit.  I was able to source the spring bolts locally.  It took FOREVER to weld the male end onto the end of the cat that I had to cut off.  Mostly because MIG welding while upside down takes practice.

By doing this, I saved the guy from having to buy a $450+ catalytic converter. 

In addition, I installed a blend door actuator (PITA unless you are creative and not afraid to break things, lol) and had to replace a brake hose on the same vehicle.  Very busy day.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8233 on: September 07, 2019, 06:41:33 PM »
Best use of a S hook ever!

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8234 on: September 07, 2019, 08:03:50 PM »

This is pretty much what my car would have looked like if I kept it together 100 years ago instead of dismantling the poor thing!!

LOL!!!!!

Best use of an S hook ever!

LOL.....  and fixed it for you.

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8235 on: September 08, 2019, 04:25:46 AM »
I don't get it

What happened to all those useful hose clamps...they looked right at home there!!!     :)
Charlie

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8236 on: September 08, 2019, 04:28:50 AM »
I don't get it

What happened to all those useful hose clamps...they looked right at home there!!!     :)

They fell victim to a 4" cutting wheel.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8237 on: September 08, 2019, 07:30:22 AM »
Yea, but what good is a bungie with just one end!

'caff, work looks great. Glad youre getting the bugs worked out. You should have a solid reliable driver now.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8238 on: September 08, 2019, 07:31:09 AM »
Scarebird, where is the racing school? That sounds like a lot of fun.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8239 on: September 08, 2019, 07:41:54 AM »
Day one of race driving school; flogged the hell out of my TA.

Learned a lot, including my tires are too hard and narrow for serious track work.  Other students drove a 2014 Camaro SS and 2016 Stingray - beat then both as they are afraid to risk them, though the Camaro guy is gaining confidence.  Rode with the instructor in her 2004 (?) ZO6; dispelled any notion of my car vs hers with equal drivers turning in the same time!

Tomorrow we drive spec Miatas to concentrate on form

So I totally missed this but that is super cool news. I have always wanted to do that...lack the funds and the facility anywhere near where I live.
Charlie

« Reply #8239 on: September 08, 2019, 07:41:54 AM »
You can help support TAC!