Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 697855 times)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
Re: Today I...
« Reply #7720 on: May 17, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »
I know they shouldn't and with him there's no telling, probably some combination of user error and poor condition jack.  Or maybe it was a hydraulic jack in reality, but in the story it's a jack stand.  This is also the same man that drove his Corvette without the lugs fully tightened on one of the wheels and after it fell off coming to a stop it was divine intervention and not centrifugal force that saved him, so yeah...

ANYWAY.  So after lots of thought, contemplation, and research I finally figured out what to swap into the Miata I don't even have yet.  *drum roll*  The Mazda/Ford/Jaguar KL/Duratec/AJ V6! *throws confetti*  I'd love to have a V8, but there's just no easy or inexpensive way of doing it,  The aforementioned V6 on the other hand is at least easy and not too terribly expensive.  Plus with the Rocketeer intakes(yes intakes) and headers it's lighter than the Mazda BP since stock for stock the V6 is only 40 pounds heavier.  Sure it's not a V8 but it's probably the best sounding V6 if not six cylinder engine out there.  It's a well over-engineered engine too(split case block for instance) and I like how it'd stay all Mazda for the most part.  Plus I think the V6 would really match the nature of the NB2 and Mazda seems to think so too as there was a concept they made with the Lincoln LS V6(de-tuned Jaguar AJ): https://www.miata.net/news/v6.html

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7721 on: May 17, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »
You are correct, good quality jack stands can't collapse.  I have huge stands, I'm not scared of them failing so much as me failing to set them up. I fear they could tip while I wrench and put force on the vehicle. It's more just piece of mind for me. What a terrible death, squashed by your pride and joy.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7722 on: May 17, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
Oh, you guys.......

You gotta die of something........you'd look pretty silly laying around the hospital dying of nothing.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7723 on: May 17, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »
"All things live to perish..."

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7724 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »
What? Is it odd to not want to die? There are a few things I really avoid,  death and confrontation (unless it's warranted/needed). I prefer to live and be happy as well as try to make others happy if possible. I try to find the fun in everything and if I can make someone else's day better that actually makes me feel better.  I also have fun snowmobiling, four wheeling, zip lining (built my own 200 footer last year) wakeboarding, jet skiing. I don't avoid potentially dangerous things, I am just more conciousness and careful of what's going on.

« Reply #7724 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7725 on: May 17, 2019, 10:13:41 PM »
The only thing that scares me about death is getting there before I've done everything I feel I should.  That said I'm not going to do anything to bring it about prematurely.  I fully believe by the time you're 80+ years old and have done everything you're ready to die and welcome it.  In fact there was an article not long ago about a man that'd turned 100 something and his birthday wish was to die, not sure if he went through with it but I think it's Sweden or Switzerland where assisted suicide is legal and he was planning to go there for such.  He had outlived his kids and all his friends and wasn't able to do much any more, so I could definitely understand why one might feel that way.

Plus I take a certain feeling of solace in knowing that eventually everything will end and return to the void, so it wouldn't matter if I was immortal anyway.  Though before everything turns to darkness the sun is going to expand and incinerate the Earth just around the time the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies crash into each other, and when their super massive black holes merge it's not something you'll want to be remotely near...  That's even assuming humanity doesn't wipe their selves out first or an overdue mass extinction level impact doesn't do it for us in the next 4.5 billion years.  So no matter how you spin it, everything is f***ed.

For the longest time I took that as meaning that nothing mattered, it's all for naught anyway right?  It wasn't until later I had the revelation you only get one life, a small window of time on Earth, and I shouldn't let any thing or any one stop me from doing what'll make me happy.  That and the best thing you can do is try and enrich other's lives in some way, rather they're human or not.  It's why when I FINALLY am able to get a car I can drive and/or a laptop that won't crash 2+ times a day I want to go back to school to become a psychiatrist/therapist.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7726 on: May 18, 2019, 01:36:27 AM »
If one were to end up in prison the first thing they'd tell you is you can do hard or easy time but you're going to do the time. If prisoners can make the best of a situation like that I think there's some people on this planet that really need to take a good look at themselves.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7727 on: May 18, 2019, 06:28:34 AM »
To clarify,  when I said death I ment the pain of death.
Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Finally,  a nice day, no rain, 85°! Yea! Going to open the pool and get the yard cleaned up. In a few weeks we are having a huge party that incorporates my son's 10th birthday. Parents end up staying the night so I make a huge breakfast (we did this same thing for my daughter 2 years ago).

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7728 on: May 18, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »
The rear end in the 71 had developed a noise in it about 2 years ago, but it wasn't bad enough that I really cared. This season it was getting a little louder, and the posi unit was getting a choppy feeling after it warmed up.

I had another 3.23 posi axle laying around, so I swapped it in. Pretty straight forward deal. The first pic is the new axle, and the second shows the old one removed.

70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
79 Trans Am SE 301 4 Speed
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7729 on: May 18, 2019, 01:36:22 PM »
I see you're doing the ever popular hover car conversion. :P

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7730 on: May 18, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »
I see you're doing the ever popular hover car conversion. :P

Think of the weight saved.....  :lol:
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7731 on: May 18, 2019, 04:30:53 PM »
WEIGHT REDUCTION!

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #7732 on: May 19, 2019, 03:59:48 AM »
The rear end in the 71 had developed a noise in it about 2 years ago, but it wasn't bad enough that I really cared. This season it was getting a little louder, and the posi unit was getting a choppy feeling after it warmed up.

I had another 3.23 posi axle laying around, so I swapped it in. Pretty straight forward deal. The first pic is the new axle, and the second shows the old one removed.

You have a lift, why do a job like that on jacks?

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7733 on: May 19, 2019, 08:15:52 AM »
'Caff, figured you might see it here, I did send you a PM. Sorry for the delay.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7734 on: May 19, 2019, 09:03:07 AM »

You have a lift, why do a job like that on jacks?

The 81 is currently occupying the lift. It's basically it's permanent home  :lol:
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
79 Trans Am SE 301 4 Speed
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

« Reply #7734 on: May 19, 2019, 09:03:07 AM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7735 on: May 19, 2019, 02:07:42 PM »
You should've said you were trying to humble yourself by doing it the hard way like those less fortunate, missed opportunity. :lol:

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #7736 on: May 19, 2019, 07:42:41 PM »
You should've said you were trying to humble yourself by doing it the hard way like those less fortunate, missed opportunity. :lol:

If the hard way is with jackstands in a garage, then what would it be if we were using cinder blocks, outside, and in the dirt?

Hell, when I finally got my own garage, I felt spoiled.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7737 on: May 19, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »
Spent many years on my back in a stone driveway wrenching.  My back was always chewed up...

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #7738 on: May 19, 2019, 10:23:16 PM »
Finished up the first phase of bringing a 1968 Firebird ragtop up to snuff.  We changed out the shocks and front springs, replaced the lower bushings, installed a 1-1/8" sway bar and a front disc kit (69 Style) that came with the car.  We used the original drum master to test how it would work - excellent; light pressure yet modulatable and easily locks them up when needed.

We plan to recycle the front 11/16" diameter bar for the rear by fabbing custom ends and frame tabs.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7739 on: May 20, 2019, 07:16:49 AM »
I know they shouldn't and with him there's no telling, probably some combination of user error and poor condition jack.  Or maybe it was a hydraulic jack in reality, but in the story it's a jack stand.  This is also the same man that drove his Corvette without the lugs fully tightened on one of the wheels and after it fell off coming to a stop it was divine intervention and not centrifugal force that saved him, so yeah...

ANYWAY.  So after lots of thought, contemplation, and research I finally figured out what to swap into the Miata I don't even have yet.  *drum roll*  The Mazda/Ford/Jaguar KL/Duratec/AJ V6! *throws confetti*  I'd love to have a V8, but there's just no easy or inexpensive way of doing it,  The aforementioned V6 on the other hand is at least easy and not too terribly expensive.  Plus with the Rocketeer intakes(yes intakes) and headers it's lighter than the Mazda BP since stock for stock the V6 is only 40 pounds heavier.  Sure it's not a V8 but it's probably the best sounding V6 if not six cylinder engine out there.  It's a well over-engineered engine too(split case block for instance) and I like how it'd stay all Mazda for the most part.  Plus I think the V6 would really match the nature of the NB2 and Mazda seems to think so too as there was a concept they made with the Lincoln LS V6(de-tuned Jaguar AJ): https://www.miata.net/news/v6.html

All I'll say is 13b or 20b. Keep it Mazda, and sounds glorious.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7740 on: May 20, 2019, 02:19:31 PM »
If I wanted Wankel induced headaches I'd just get a RX-8.  If I had the means of pulling an engine and the confidence in rebuilding one(can only learn so much from books and videos) I'd probably buy one with a sick/blown engine for next to nothing and then spend $1,500-2,000 rebuilding it and with proper maintenance should get at least 100K miles before it'd need rebuilt again.  Maybe.  At least the Mazda KL is actually a Mazda motor though, and the Duratec was based on it, and the AJ was based on that.  So it'd still be Mazda and it's probably the best sounding V6 out there if not six cylinder in general.  Uncorked it has a motor sporty sound to it:
https://youtu.be/VfS3GHT2bFA?t=20s

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
That’s a very bold statement Box.
« Reply #7741 on: May 20, 2019, 07:20:47 PM »
I’ll just leave this here.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/g6675/best-sounding-straight-six/

The M3 is really nice and recorded from inside the car.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:24:20 PM by nas t eh »
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #7742 on: May 20, 2019, 11:43:21 PM »
Today I pretty much finished up the Jeep project. The last few weeks I have been installing the interior as well as a few new upgrades. Its a 1992 Jeep YJ that my fiancé wanted to do a semi restoration. Mechanically it was in pretty decent shape but she decided to get it painted and install a new interior. She helped out through the process and got a first hand experience of the hard work that goes into these projects. We installed all new carpet, a really great stereo system, a new console, dual USB charging ports and a leather shift boot. The new stereo sounds great and work well with the Jeep. We used two 6x9's in the back with a low profile 8"Sub woofer and new 5x7" speakers in the front. We re-upholstered the seats. Although the upholstery kit worked, in my opinion it wasn't as good as the upholstery kits I have used from PUI or Legendary. Unfortunately the aftermarket stuff for Jeep interiors is somewhat limited. Overall it was a lot of work but it was fun turning this into an almost like new Jeep.

Jim

1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #7743 on: May 21, 2019, 04:42:40 AM »
The interior looks to nice for a Jeep :lol: congrats, how about exterior pics?

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7744 on: May 21, 2019, 06:38:42 AM »
Jim, that turned out great! I am sure she is more than happy with the results. Its like a new car but without all of the frills and electronic crap that's on them now. I really like that style (I always just call them JeepJeeps, as opposed to all of the suvs that are jeeps) but I'm not too crazy about the new 4 door models since they have become the new official soccer mom car replacing the minivan.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7745 on: May 21, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »
I live in a suburb of Toledo.  EVERYONE drives a jeep here. I have never owed a Jeep, Jeep (had a J10 Jeep forever). The four doors ones are all the rage. Like he said, they are the socker  mom model.

You Jeep interior looks great. Any before pictures?

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: That’s a very bold statement Box.
« Reply #7746 on: May 21, 2019, 01:56:24 PM »
I’ll just leave this here.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/g6675/best-sounding-straight-six/

The M3 is really nice and recorded from inside the car.
I have the N54 in my brother's 335i as first hand experience, and it sounds nice enough but I don't think it'd fit into a Miata. :P  It would be nice to hear the Mazda KL in person though, since you can only gather so much off videos, but short of an invasive and expensive V8 conversion it seems to be the best sounding option at least.  Plus it'd stay all Mazda.

If you guys are concerned about what's a soccer mom car you should stay away from pony cars since most of them are six cylinder soccer mom models...  I mean secretary models...  No wait... :lol:

djustice

• Active Forum Member
      • ACCK
« Reply #7747 on: May 22, 2019, 02:30:03 AM »
Today i helped a friend that collect "special intrest" cars with changing a fuel pump that was noisy, the car is a movie car, the taxi from inception with bulletholes and movie prop wiring to the charges that where used to simulate bullet impacts. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYrb0PeFyc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYrb0PeFyc</a>
after buying 2 new fuelpumps and a fitting kit to finally get the pump to work with the movie-set fuelcell plumbing, it eventually turned out to be the fuelfilter clogged up with foamlining from the fuelcell that had started to disintigrate.
it ran, but badly, we will try plugs tomorrow.
1973 Firebird formula 400 W/YC code 455 (73 casting)
6x-8 heads, hyperfuel efi gastank, scorpion 1.5 Roller rockers, holley sniper efi, edelbrock performer inntake, Headman 28150 headers 1 3/4" primary, Pypes SGF11R exhaust, cam unknown, alu radiator w/twin 12" fans. Yukon duragrip posi w/3.42 gears.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7748 on: May 22, 2019, 02:18:01 PM »
Ooh nifty, though I wonder how much panache the "taxi from Inception" might have since it's usually only when the car is as much of a star as the actors that they garner interest.

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #7749 on: May 22, 2019, 03:30:35 PM »
I live in a suburb of Toledo.  EVERYONE drives a jeep here. I have never owed a Jeep, Jeep (had a J10 Jeep forever). The four doors ones are all the rage. Like he said, they are the socker  mom model.

You Jeep interior looks great. Any before pictures?

Here is one “before “ picture. Overall it was in good shape but the paint had a lot of chips and scratches but no rust issues or major damage. The interior was also worn out as well.

Here is an after picture. The old vinyl stripes were removed and new stripes were painted. In addition to new interior the dash was re dyed and cleaned up.

1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7750 on: May 22, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
The Wrangler is the one Jeep I like, though I suspect that's the case for most as it's their most popular model.  I think if I were to do off-roading it'd be a Wrangler or FJ Cruiser with the manual.  My penchant for two doors carries over to trucks and SUVs as well. :lol:

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
Re: That’s a very bold statement Box.
« Reply #7751 on: May 22, 2019, 06:27:40 PM »

If you guys are concerned about what's a soccer mom car you should stay away from pony cars since most of them are six cylinder soccer mom models...  I mean secretary models...  No wait... :lol:

I haven't been shopping for them, but I think the Camero has a 2.0L four cylinder turbo in it. Probably goes OK, but it just sounds so wrong.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7752 on: May 22, 2019, 08:36:25 PM »

I haven't been shopping for them, but I think the Camero has a 2.0L four cylinder turbo in it. Probably goes OK, but it just sounds so wrong.
The Camaro has a turbo I4 and V6, I think the Mustang is just down to the turbo I4 and V8 though it had a V6 at the start of the S550 generation, the Challenger is just V6 and V8.  I'm of the belief if you're going to get a pony or muscle car it should be a V8 with a manual as that's their redeeming quality for me personally, but I'm in the minority since plenty of non V8 manual models of all sell.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7753 on: May 23, 2019, 07:10:52 AM »
Big diff between a pony car and a muscle car. Plenty of 65 mustangs ( which I think may have been the original pony car) had 6's.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7754 on: May 23, 2019, 08:38:57 AM »
Big diff between a pony car and a muscle car. Plenty of 65 mustangs ( which I think may have been the original pony car) had 6's.

The early 64 1/2 mustangs were all 6’s. I’ve always had trouble with the two terms.
Is a Trans Am a pony car? How about a Shelby? How about a Hemi Cuda?
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7755 on: May 23, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »

The early 64 1/2 mustangs were all 6’s. I’ve always had trouble with the two terms.
Is a Trans Am a pony car? How about a Shelby? How about a Hemi Cuda?
IIRC the term muscle car was initiailly used to describe full-size cars with higher output motors and then got applied to mid-sized cars with the larger, high output motors from the full-size models.

I think wiki does a fair job of defining "pony car" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7756 on: May 23, 2019, 02:56:22 PM »
Pony cars are for girls, muscle cars are for men. :lol:

Now that the sexist 60's version is out of the way pony cars are small coupes(though I'd hardly call a 2nd to 4th gen F-body small) that put an emphasis on style and take handling into consideration, may or may not be concerned with power.  Muscle cars are mid size to full size coupes that put an emphasis on power(it's required even) with not as much concern for style or handling.  Of course these days most would consider the top V8 pony cars as muscle cars, but I think that's more so from the fact a true muscle car doesn't exist or hasn't for some time.  I'd go as far as saying the Lincoln MKVIII was the last muscle car in any form, even though it was a luxo barge at least it was a full size V8 coupe.

It's like the term sports car is over generalized, it really means a two seater with an emphasis on handling and usually style.  Nothing about power being required.  Yet some people don't consider the Miata a sports car because it's not super fast. :roll:  You can have sports coupes and maybe even sports sedans, but sports cars they are not.  Which marketing jargon from the manufacturers doesn't help matters either.  I'm looking at you Nissan, Maxima four door sports car my @$$. :roll:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:01:25 PM by Box »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7757 on: May 23, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
A heavy box from R&E Paint Supply arrived today, must mean the Firebird is finally getting painted and he's attempting it after all versus having the guy at work do it.  Then I can sell it and try to fulfill my unrealistic expectations with another Miata!

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I know what I believe.......do you?
« Reply #7758 on: May 24, 2019, 09:12:49 PM »
I FINALLY GOT MY HISTORIC PERSONAL PLATES!!! It only took about four months, but I now can get the GTA on the road legally.  I cant figure out how to retrieve the BB code from Flickr via my phone so once I get to a laptop or desktop, I will post a pic. Might not be until Wednesday. I'm taking a long holiday weekend to go help judge a large car show in St Louis on Memorial Day and will be recouperating on Tuesday lol.  Super excited since the plates on it had been expired since September of 2017.
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7759 on: May 24, 2019, 09:59:51 PM »
Huzzah!  Driving!  Huzzah!

« Reply #7759 on: May 24, 2019, 09:59:51 PM »
You can help support TAC!