2020-B4-4

Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 831024 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #7680 on: May 15, 2019, 01:09:20 PM »
Unless the site is broken I don't have anything new in there...
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #7681 on: May 15, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
40 years old? You're still a baby, I would have guessed more. And it's not down hill, you just have to peddle faster to get up hill lol. All kidding aside, you accomplished a lot, got yourself a house and not complaining as much... Happy Birthday.

That's because I don't work at Auto Zone anymore. 

Unless the site is broken I don't have anything new in there...

What the Hell?  Alright I'll try again.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7682 on: May 15, 2019, 06:16:11 PM »
Happy Birthday 'caff. Like was said before, age is a state of mind. I just found out last weekend how many places give discounts for over 55! Woo Hoo!!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7683 on: May 15, 2019, 06:18:25 PM »
Guy im doing a job for showed up today, face all bruised up, bandage on the top of his head and a broken arm. He was working in his garage sat night, and was standing on a small stool reaching for the top drawer of his tool chest (which is fairly large). He lost his balance, grabbed the open drawer to catch himself and pulled the darn thing over onto himself. OOPS!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7684 on: May 15, 2019, 06:56:32 PM »
Guy im doing a job for showed up today, face all bruised up, bandage on the top of his head and a broken arm. He was working in his garage sat night, and was standing on a small stool reaching for the top drawer of his tool chest (which is fairly large). He lost his balance, grabbed the open drawer to catch himself and pulled the darn thing over onto himself. OOPS!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

« Reply #7684 on: May 15, 2019, 06:56:32 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #7685 on: May 15, 2019, 10:36:47 PM »
I'm guessing this wasn't a step stool then.

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7686 on: May 16, 2019, 01:54:01 AM »
Need to be careful on stools and ladders. A friend at work fell off a 5ft ladder when it broke underneath him, he was only up 3ft but broke his collarbone. Another friend was working in his garage 8ft ladder getting stuff out of the rafters, fell hit his head on the concrete floor. His wife found him and called the ambulance, he died later in the hospital.

We now have a 4ft rule at work, must be able maintain 3 points of contact while working above 4ft or need a harness.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7687 on: May 16, 2019, 05:47:39 AM »
Happy B-Day DeCaff! I'll be joining you in about 9 years

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7688 on: May 16, 2019, 07:14:14 AM »
Last Oct one of my guys fell about 8' when the ladder he was climbing slipped (it was not tied off at the top), he broke his heel. He goes in today for another operation to get the thing fixed!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I know what I believe.......do you?
« Reply #7689 on: May 16, 2019, 08:45:55 AM »
We now have a 4ft rule at work, must be able maintain 3 points of contact while working above 4ft or need a harness.

As a Safety Coordinator for our facility, I like that rule a lot.  We make sure that when a ladder is involved, that there is a person stabiliizing the ladder below and to keep an eye on the person on the ladder.  I've fallen off of one myself at home and fortunately it was into our hedgerow but it still stung pretty good.

Yes I was hanging Christmas lights, yes it was during the evening and yes my wife called me Clark afterwards, along with a couple other names.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:40:23 AM by GTABill »
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

« Reply #7689 on: May 16, 2019, 08:45:55 AM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7690 on: May 16, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »
I have to stop laughing at these stories or I might be next.......

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7691 on: May 16, 2019, 02:29:38 PM »
The human body is really fragile, hence my overly cautious disposition towards most things that or I'm on edge the entire time anticipating how to react.  It's like you couldn't convince me to stay underneath a car on any amount of jack stands, I'm not even comfortable underneath a car lift.  Don't even get me started on heights, electricity, or chemical exposure.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7692 on: May 16, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »
You know there was this one boy in a bubble...  :-)

Just kidding.  The car on jack stands scares me too. I always throw something big under the car so I'm not the only thing stopping the car from hitting the floor should s stand fail or get bumped.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7693 on: May 16, 2019, 09:42:55 PM »
I'm not THAT bad, but I always act in the best interest of not injuring myself.  Hence why I'll never ride motorcycles, convertibles are dangerous enough.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7694 on: May 17, 2019, 04:52:56 AM »
Self preservation is high on my list as well!

« Reply #7694 on: May 17, 2019, 04:52:56 AM »

2020-B1-8

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7695 on: May 17, 2019, 06:22:23 AM »

Just kidding.  The car on jack stands scares me too. I always throw something big under the car so I'm not the only thing stopping the car from hitting the floor should s stand fail or get bumped.

Because that happens all the time........

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7696 on: May 17, 2019, 07:13:33 AM »
I have said that a 2' step ladder is the most dangerous. I dont even know if they still make them.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #7697 on: May 17, 2019, 07:30:39 AM »
I have said that a 2' step ladder is the most dangerous. I dont even know if they still make them.

I've always used a 5 gal bucket...

Regards, Jack

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7698 on: May 17, 2019, 07:33:06 AM »

Well, it makes me feel better.  I think it's because when I was young and at a junkyard near me a yard guy had a car drop on him and it killed him. During our visit.... didn't see it, didn't want to. Not the same thing though, as they used to chain an engine to the tow truck, lift the car and torch the mounts and have the body drop around them...

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7699 on: May 17, 2019, 11:10:54 AM »
Better safe than sorry I guess. It always makes me a little nervous when my car is up on the wooden stands, but I always shake the car pretty good to make sure it's solid before I leave it.

The one pick a part yard near me just cuts the whole front of the car/truck off at the frame and lets you lift the motor or trans out. That's how I had easy access to that 5.3 trailblazer with the 799 heads I picked up a while back.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

« Reply #7699 on: May 17, 2019, 11:10:54 AM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7700 on: May 17, 2019, 01:35:35 PM »

It can though, it happened to my father when he had his '81 Trans Am.  Thankfully for some reason someone called which made him slide out from underneath it to go answer the phone, as soon as he answered the jack stand gave out.  According to him it was miraculous intervention since when he answered there was no one on the line, but I think he just bumped the stand as he slid out and it's just coincidence.  Still either way, the stand failed either of its own accord or gave out by being bumped while loaded.

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7701 on: May 17, 2019, 03:46:02 PM »

It can though, it happened to my father when he had his '81 Trans Am.  Thankfully for some reason someone called which made him slide out from underneath it to go answer the phone, as soon as he answered the jack stand gave out.  According to him it was miraculous intervention since when he answered there was no one on the line, but I think he just bumped the stand as he slid out and it's just coincidence.  Still either way, the stand failed either of its own accord or gave out by being bumped while loaded.

Jack stands in good condition and on a stable surface shouldn't collapse.  If there's any "real" load on them it should not be possible to "bump" it out.  It's all about how it's used.  Anything has the potential to fail.  Now relying on pressure like a hydraulic jack is a different story.
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7702 on: May 17, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »
I know they shouldn't and with him there's no telling, probably some combination of user error and poor condition jack.  Or maybe it was a hydraulic jack in reality, but in the story it's a jack stand.  This is also the same man that drove his Corvette without the lugs fully tightened on one of the wheels and after it fell off coming to a stop it was divine intervention and not centrifugal force that saved him, so yeah...

ANYWAY.  So after lots of thought, contemplation, and research I finally figured out what to swap into the Miata I don't even have yet.  *drum roll*  The Mazda/Ford/Jaguar KL/Duratec/AJ V6! *throws confetti*  I'd love to have a V8, but there's just no easy or inexpensive way of doing it,  The aforementioned V6 on the other hand is at least easy and not too terribly expensive.  Plus with the Rocketeer intakes(yes intakes) and headers it's lighter than the Mazda BP since stock for stock the V6 is only 40 pounds heavier.  Sure it's not a V8 but it's probably the best sounding V6 if not six cylinder engine out there.  It's a well over-engineered engine too(split case block for instance) and I like how it'd stay all Mazda for the most part.  Plus I think the V6 would really match the nature of the NB2 and Mazda seems to think so too as there was a concept they made with the Lincoln LS V6(de-tuned Jaguar AJ): https://www.miata.net/news/v6.html

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7703 on: May 17, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »
You are correct, good quality jack stands can't collapse.  I have huge stands, I'm not scared of them failing so much as me failing to set them up. I fear they could tip while I wrench and put force on the vehicle. It's more just piece of mind for me. What a terrible death, squashed by your pride and joy.

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7704 on: May 17, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
Oh, you guys.......

You gotta die of something........you'd look pretty silly laying around the hospital dying of nothing.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7705 on: May 17, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »
"All things live to perish..."

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7706 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »
What? Is it odd to not want to die? There are a few things I really avoid,  death and confrontation (unless it's warranted/needed). I prefer to live and be happy as well as try to make others happy if possible. I try to find the fun in everything and if I can make someone else's day better that actually makes me feel better.  I also have fun snowmobiling, four wheeling, zip lining (built my own 200 footer last year) wakeboarding, jet skiing. I don't avoid potentially dangerous things, I am just more conciousness and careful of what's going on.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7707 on: May 17, 2019, 10:13:41 PM »
The only thing that scares me about death is getting there before I've done everything I feel I should.  That said I'm not going to do anything to bring it about prematurely.  I fully believe by the time you're 80+ years old and have done everything you're ready to die and welcome it.  In fact there was an article not long ago about a man that'd turned 100 something and his birthday wish was to die, not sure if he went through with it but I think it's Sweden or Switzerland where assisted suicide is legal and he was planning to go there for such.  He had outlived his kids and all his friends and wasn't able to do much any more, so I could definitely understand why one might feel that way.

Plus I take a certain feeling of solace in knowing that eventually everything will end and return to the void, so it wouldn't matter if I was immortal anyway.  Though before everything turns to darkness the sun is going to expand and incinerate the Earth just around the time the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies crash into each other, and when their super massive black holes merge it's not something you'll want to be remotely near...  That's even assuming humanity doesn't wipe their selves out first or an overdue mass extinction level impact doesn't do it for us in the next 4.5 billion years.  So no matter how you spin it, everything is f***ed.

For the longest time I took that as meaning that nothing mattered, it's all for naught anyway right?  It wasn't until later I had the revelation you only get one life, a small window of time on Earth, and I shouldn't let any thing or any one stop me from doing what'll make me happy.  That and the best thing you can do is try and enrich other's lives in some way, rather they're human or not.  It's why when I FINALLY am able to get a car I can drive and/or a laptop that won't crash 2+ times a day I want to go back to school to become a psychiatrist/therapist.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7708 on: May 18, 2019, 01:36:27 AM »
If one were to end up in prison the first thing they'd tell you is you can do hard or easy time but you're going to do the time. If prisoners can make the best of a situation like that I think there's some people on this planet that really need to take a good look at themselves.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7709 on: May 18, 2019, 06:28:34 AM »
To clarify,  when I said death I ment the pain of death.
Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Finally,  a nice day, no rain, 85°! Yea! Going to open the pool and get the yard cleaned up. In a few weeks we are having a huge party that incorporates my son's 10th birthday. Parents end up staying the night so I make a huge breakfast (we did this same thing for my daughter 2 years ago).

« Reply #7709 on: May 18, 2019, 06:28:34 AM »

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7710 on: May 18, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »
The rear end in the 71 had developed a noise in it about 2 years ago, but it wasn't bad enough that I really cared. This season it was getting a little louder, and the posi unit was getting a choppy feeling after it warmed up.

I had another 3.23 posi axle laying around, so I swapped it in. Pretty straight forward deal. The first pic is the new axle, and the second shows the old one removed.

70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7711 on: May 18, 2019, 01:36:22 PM »
I see you're doing the ever popular hover car conversion. :P

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7712 on: May 18, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »
I see you're doing the ever popular hover car conversion. :P

Think of the weight saved.....  :lol:
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7713 on: May 18, 2019, 04:30:53 PM »
WEIGHT REDUCTION!

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #7714 on: May 19, 2019, 03:59:48 AM »
The rear end in the 71 had developed a noise in it about 2 years ago, but it wasn't bad enough that I really cared. This season it was getting a little louder, and the posi unit was getting a choppy feeling after it warmed up.

I had another 3.23 posi axle laying around, so I swapped it in. Pretty straight forward deal. The first pic is the new axle, and the second shows the old one removed.

You have a lift, why do a job like that on jacks?

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7715 on: May 19, 2019, 08:15:52 AM »
'Caff, figured you might see it here, I did send you a PM. Sorry for the delay.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7716 on: May 19, 2019, 09:03:07 AM »

You have a lift, why do a job like that on jacks?

The 81 is currently occupying the lift. It's basically it's permanent home  :lol:
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7717 on: May 19, 2019, 02:07:42 PM »
You should've said you were trying to humble yourself by doing it the hard way like those less fortunate, missed opportunity. :lol:

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7718 on: May 19, 2019, 07:42:41 PM »
You should've said you were trying to humble yourself by doing it the hard way like those less fortunate, missed opportunity. :lol:

If the hard way is with jackstands in a garage, then what would it be if we were using cinder blocks, outside, and in the dirt?

Hell, when I finally got my own garage, I felt spoiled.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7719 on: May 19, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »
Spent many years on my back in a stone driveway wrenching.  My back was always chewed up...

« Reply #7719 on: May 19, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3