Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 642334 times)

hakitup

• Active Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
Re: Today I...
« Reply #7520 on: April 17, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »
Today I removed the tire chains from the Trans Am and gave her a bath. Next on the list is to bore scope the tranny.

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • If we throw it all away things can only get better
« Reply #7521 on: April 17, 2019, 02:27:20 PM »
It seems like a manual transmission in most GM cars is a rarity, but especially the less performance minded ones.  I think it's a shame they never offered a manual in the later Grand Prix GXP and Monte Carlo SS, could've helped them better compete with the imports of the time I'd think.  At least they put a manual in the Cobalt SS and G5 GT.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7522 on: April 17, 2019, 03:28:44 PM »
It seems like a manual transmission in most GM cars is a rarity, but especially the less performance minded ones.  I think it's a shame they never offered a manual in the later Grand Prix GXP and Monte Carlo SS, could've helped them better compete with the imports of the time I'd think.  At least they put a manual in the Cobalt SS and G5 GT.

I don't think GM had a manual for the front drives that could handle the 5.3 in the GXP and SS.  The 4T65E that is in them now is at its limit with the power they put out now. The closest thing they have would be the F40 6spd out of the G6 GTP and I can imagine the 5.3 would make quick work of that without some beefing up.

Speaking of rare manual sightings, back in the day, I was looking at a brand new Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais with wire wheel covers, the famous Quad 4............................and a 5 spd.  It was silver blue with dark blue interior.  I had to do a double take.  It would have been fun to make some noise in that thing, but I instead opted for the Beretta GT with the 5spd...........glad I did.  It was way more fun.
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"Anyone can make their life better if they choose to do what it takes to make it better"

Tea Party Patriot

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7523 on: April 17, 2019, 05:20:42 PM »
I meant more so the earlier 3.8 supercharged variants, since there was the F40 used in the Saab 9-3 at the same time.  For the LS4 it'd depend on how much power 9-3 owners are pushing through their F40 to sorta know, but I suspect it might could manage.  Which I suppose the turbo Cobalt SS and G5 GT are the peak of GM FWD manual performance, probably a good value these days if you don't mind FWD.

It's kind of funny what cars do and don't have manuals as options, and then who ultimately orders them as such in some instances.  Like could you imagine a Cadillac DeVille with a manual, had it ever been offered, and who'd even buy one that way. :lol:

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7524 on: April 17, 2019, 05:28:43 PM »
That's ok I can't even imagine trying to drive a FWD V8 with a manual, torque steer for days.  FWD V6 with a manual is bad enough.

« Reply #7524 on: April 17, 2019, 05:28:43 PM »

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7525 on: April 17, 2019, 05:35:49 PM »
I think stock LS4 GXPs were pushing about 305hp off the lot.  The 4t65e in those are an "HD" version but according to Triple Edge Performance, still not meant for a lot of abuse. That tranny was put into everything during that time. Ive got the same tranny in the Aztek and it started having little hiccups at 150k. It now has over 200k and is most likely in need of an overhaul. I wish they would have given the option of the F40 mated to the 3800 SC or the LS4. Those would be fun cars.  I actually liked the feel of jamming through the gears of my Beretta. Yea it would jerk the wheel a bit, but nothing like seeing peoples expression when you were rowing the gears and get the tires to chirp in third gear.......from a measly 140hp V6 lol
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"Anyone can make their life better if they choose to do what it takes to make it better"

Tea Party Patriot

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7526 on: April 17, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
Yes, a manual can make the most gutless of engines bearable.  The paltry 110 horsepower in my Celica wasn't so bad with the 5-speed, could get it to chirp into second and if you banged off redline going into third you'd hit interstate speeds before you'd have to merge.  From what I can gather from a quick search the F40 will survive 300ish horsepower and torque indefinitely so long as you don't beat on it, so sorta like the T-5 in the Mustangs and third gen F-bodies would survive so long as it wasn't thrashed.

And there are people doing the LS4 and F40 in Fieros, so that'd be really fun.  I'd love an '88 GT(only one with Lotus suspension and not Citation rehash) with a LS4 and F40, but that'd take lots of money.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:47:59 PM by Box »

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7527 on: April 17, 2019, 06:25:15 PM »
Well here it is, a 2008 BMW 335i:

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7528 on: April 17, 2019, 08:22:43 PM »
Nice car but still not T/A.

Today I broke down and order a Honda GX630 V twin engine to replace the Briggs and stratton Vanguard on my Grasshopper mower. $2400 as it needs a few adapters because it uses two PTOs. My briggs runs ok bit is pumping oil out the breather tube into the carb. It empties the crank case in one mowing.  Compression is around 145 PSI, but it must still have blow by. Power is really lacking now too. Went with the Honda because it has the most HP of the two options that will fit my frame. Hope it's a good engine, two many conflicting opinions on the net now a days.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7529 on: April 17, 2019, 09:50:46 PM »
At least it makes 500 horsepower with bolt-ons and a tune though, so that's something right? :lol:

We had a Crapman with the Break & Scrap 'em engine, after needing more rebuilds than I want to count it threw a rod and that ended it.  Now there's a Husqvarna with a Kawasaki V-twin in its place, significantly better is an understatement.  Just the engine alone is so much smoother and quieter, it's amazing really.

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7530 on: April 17, 2019, 11:07:33 PM »
Those 335 coupes are a very nice car, we just got rid of our 08 328 sedan. We loved it but it was starting to need work regularly to keep reliable and I just didn’t want to bother or worry about it anymore. It was my wife’s daily driver, so we replaced it with a 2014 335 GT that has only 32,000km(20,000miles)on it. I just installed the JB4+ tuner and a tuned turbo inlet system (380HP at this point) The rest of the bolt ons( catless down pipe, High Density intercooler, oversized charge pipe and turbo outlet pipe) are sitting in the garage waiting for another free day.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7531 on: April 17, 2019, 11:39:55 PM »
It is, especially since it has the higher spec leather interior instead of the leatherette.  It's Black Sapphire metallic paint with black leather, very nice.  It has the JB4 tuner on it too, apparently that's the best one for them.  This one only has 70K miles on it, and he's used to working on European cars(one would hope since that's his job) and it seems to have been really taken care of.  Being it's the cheapest source of 500+ horsepower he's willing to pay to play, as he's been looking at replacing the Genesis for awhile now since it peaked at 300 or so horsepower without having to build a MKII block and then you peaked at around 500 street-able horsepower where the N54 is just getting started.  Apparently people do 700-800+ horsepower builds all of the time on stock internals of the N54, which knowing him once he sells the Genesis and its parts as well as the Audi it wouldn't surprise me if that's not to follow shortly after.  Of course it's not low enough for him even though it has the sport package, so he's looking at ST Suspension coil-overs which apparently are the same as KW now just with galvanized steel instead of stainless.  That and it's going to cost $2K to put a LSD into it, since BMW got cute and welded the ring gear to the carrier so you can't put one in yourself and have to buy a complete center section.

« Reply #7531 on: April 17, 2019, 11:39:55 PM »
You can help support TAC!