Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 738969 times)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
Re: Today I...
« Reply #7480 on: April 14, 2019, 01:07:59 PM »
These days "it's a truck" wouldn't excuse wear and tear from being used as a truck to most prospective buyers though, so you're doing the right thing if you intend to sell it at some point and it's your truck so if keeping it nice makes you feel good then keep doing it.

I feel compelled to do a Hella ECE and wiring harness upgrade on the Jeep, throw in some 80/100W bulbs and see all the things.  Or if you really want to melt mosquitoes throw in some 100/130W bulbs.  Halogen, it may be a dinosaur but dinosaurs can be powerful.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7481 on: April 14, 2019, 07:12:46 PM »
It was raining all day so this is the best pictures I could get.

79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7482 on: April 14, 2019, 10:18:34 PM »
Looks pretty good to me and a match in colour at least.  Plus if it's any further consolation I don't think I've ever seen a factory paint job where the bumpers matched the rest of the car perfectly anyway(either in colour or orange peel), because of either flex additives and/or being sprayed separately from the rest of the car.

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #7483 on: April 15, 2019, 01:44:35 AM »
Great paint job on the bumper! Looks pretty close to perfect!
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7484 on: April 15, 2019, 06:39:21 AM »
Jim, looks too nice for a jeep, now you won't want to do any off-roading!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #7484 on: April 15, 2019, 06:39:21 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7485 on: April 15, 2019, 06:44:26 AM »
Jim, I sent you a pm.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #7486 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:15 AM »
It was raining all day so this is the best pictures I could get.

All that rain came my way last night.  Once again my basement decided to flood........ 
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #7487 on: April 15, 2019, 11:12:32 AM »
Jim, looks too nice for a jeep, now you won't want to do any off-roading!

Kerry,
My fiancé bought it over 25 years ago and she used to off road it quite a bit, she lived in Colorado. It survived several winters there. She hit some deer and what not. I am really surprised how tough this Jeep has been. There wasn’t any rust and only one minor dent in the grill which was fixed. I doubt she will be driving it off road anytime soon because she has put about $6k into fixing it up and painting it. For her it has the sentimental value north of a million. We have really enjoyed working on it so far. I tried to warn her about how projects can snowball into an avalanche and how a simple freshening up can turn into a big project. Now she understands our world a little bit more!

Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7488 on: April 15, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Brother finally caught the paint and body guy that comes by at Maserati and the guy said he'd only charge $450 to fix everything to daily driver condition, or would charge $750 for show car condition.  Hell the rest of the car is 20 something years old so I suspect even daily driver condition will stick out...  At any rate the guy said my brother could try fixing it first and wouldn't charge any more if it didn't turn out well, or would charge even less if the preparation was at least right.  For what it'd cost in materials anyway might as well just have the professional do it, if his work is good enough for a new Maserati it should be plenty fine for an old Firebird.  Also my brother asked about what kind of filler to use and the guy said he'd just melt and fold over the raised plastic and smooth it out, so I guess he's some kind of wizard.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7489 on: April 15, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »
Definitely take him up on it. The quart of PPG DBC for my truck was around $750 and that didn't include the reducer or clear and activator.  I went with BASF Diamont as it was only $250 a quart.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:16:57 AM by FormTA »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7490 on: April 15, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »
That was my thought process, after it first happened and looking around it was going to be over $200 just in materials and using the Dupli-Color Perfect Match spray paints.  Getting a gun, compressor, and the paints to run through it easily over $400.  I mentioned to my brother about asking him if he'd come to the house to fix it if the car was already taken apart so all he'd have to do is repair and paint the parts, then after curing I and my brother would put them back on.  That way I don't have to put on a tag and insurance only to turn around and take them off after selling it.

On a similar note I saw something about PPG stopping production of automotive paints, but I guess it must've just been their more affordable lines then.  It's insane how expensive paint can get...  Why I've considered just getting a black Miata and then vinyl wrapping it purple, that and the vinyl can look a lot nicer for the price and I only have to wash it off with soap and water and occasionally apply vinyl conditioner/protectant.  Much easier for me to take care of, and it'll be PURPLE.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7491 on: April 16, 2019, 06:15:13 AM »
Its insane how much paint cost! I know its comparing apples to oranges but the entire process to produce it cant differ that much from product to product, a gallon of house paint is $50 (which is ridiculous as well) it doesn't make sense that auto paint cost many many times that amount.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I know what I believe.......do you?
« Reply #7492 on: April 16, 2019, 07:42:30 AM »
Not today, but yesterday evening it was nice out so I decided to wash the winter crap off the trailer and get it ready for the season.  Planning on at least two trips to trailer the GTA this year with one being the Nationals....

Since I was taking pics, I captured one of my son working on getting his red GP fired up.  Had to jump start it with his black GXP.  Aplolgize for the quality of the pic.......

And lastly took a pic of the "Project".  I really need to air up the tires and get it moved to a better location to free up some driveway space.........
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:48:38 AM by GTABill »
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

76 - 455 - 4

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7493 on: April 16, 2019, 08:17:00 AM »
Nice! Never saw a black GXP with tan interior before. All of my red ones have had the tan, I love it!
A true PONTIAC family!

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7494 on: April 16, 2019, 08:34:29 AM »
Nice! Never saw a black GXP with tan interior before. All of my red ones have had the tan, I love it!
A true PONTIAC family!

Thank you!  The Aztek is sitting on the other side of the trailer...........the "other" project lol and of course the GTA is sitting in the garage.  When we went and looked at the GXP, I was surprised it was tan as well.  It even has the factory nav on it.  It was truly loaded and for the price he was asking, it was a no brainer.  Hard to believe its got 190K miles on it now.  Its still a mean machine.

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

« Reply #7494 on: April 16, 2019, 08:34:29 AM »

76 - 455 - 4

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7495 on: April 16, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »
A true PONTIAC family!

Thank you!  The Aztek is sitting on the other side of the trailer...........the "other" project lol and of course the GTA is sitting in the garage.  When we went and looked at the GXP, I was surprised it was tan as well.  It even has the factory nav on it.  It was truly loaded and for the price he was asking, it was a no brainer.  Hard to believe its got 190K miles on it now.  Its still a mean machine.
My latest '08, red with tan, just turned 50k miles last week. I hope to make this one last  a LONG time.

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7496 on: April 16, 2019, 11:29:36 AM »
A true PONTIAC family!

My latest '08, red with tan, just turned 50k miles last week. I hope to make this one last  a LONG time.

WOW! He wishes his had that kind of miles.  His is an 06.  Its had the cylinder deactivation delete done, lowering springs, installed still new in the box bilstein shocks and struts on it, bought another full set of 06 wheels and put the fronts from that set, on the rear to give it a wider look, and removed the resonator and mufflers and replaced the resonator with a bullet style muffler.  Needless to say, you can hear him getting on the highway from our house (about a mile and a half away).  It turns heads when he fires it up.

Reagan

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7497 on: April 16, 2019, 02:00:14 PM »
Its insane how much paint cost! I know its comparing apples to oranges but the entire process to produce it cant differ that much from product to product, a gallon of house paint is $50 (which is ridiculous as well) it doesn't make sense that auto paint cost many many times that amount.
If I had to take a guess it's a matter of supply and demand, probably a lot more people care about painting their house, shed, or barn than those that care about painting their car and especially those that're willing to do it themselves.  I guess a more even comparison would be to compare enamel paints, since it's used for house and automotive paint and a clear coat isn't needed.  Still even then I think house enamel is cheaper than automotive enamel, so maybe quality of the components or certain things needed in the automotive formulations?  Would just have to ask someone at one of these paint companies that make both and would give an honest answer to know for sure I suppose.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7498 on: April 16, 2019, 08:18:44 PM »
OH YEAH, between all the excitement of returning I forgot to mention my brother has a new toy.  Will have to get a picture tomorrow after he gets back from work tomorrow, but I can drop a few hints; It's German, RWD, and manual.  I also refuse to let him ruin it like he did the Genesis.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7499 on: April 17, 2019, 07:09:24 AM »
Bill, I like those grand prix's. I bought one new, mustve been around '86-'88 maybe, same style and looks of the black one. Mine was white with a red velour interior. It was the luxury edition whatever they called them at the time. It was a dealer leftover almost a year old when we got it, it had every available option but the reason it would not sell was it had a manual transmission. I cant remember now but it was heavily reduced in price. I loved that car.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7500 on: April 17, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »
Bill, I like those grand prix's. I bought one new, mustve been around '86-'88 maybe, same style and looks of the black one. Mine was white with a red velour interior. It was the luxury edition whatever they called them at the time. It was a dealer leftover almost a year old when we got it, it had every available option but the reason it would not sell was it had a manual transmission. I cant remember now but it was heavily reduced in price. I loved that car.

Wow a manual tranny GP.  Those were hard to find when they were new.  I saw one in a white SE  in 88.  Had the color matched wheels.  Very cool ride.  The two McClarens we have only came with the automatic, but are specific to that particular model.  My son had the tranny rebuilt in the red one and the guy called him saying that there were internal parts in the tranny that are marked "TURBO" and sourcing those parts may be difficult.  I think he was able to source them out but it took a lot of searching. 

Reagan

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7501 on: April 17, 2019, 09:06:32 AM »
Today I came in to work late because I took in the boy's GXP to get a state inspection and the tags renewed.  He was only expired 4 months.  Told him he needed to get that done, but ya know kids...........

Needless to say, I almost made it to work after getting the inspection done before having a scare from local PD coming up behind me.  Fortunately, they turned left and I turned right...............right out of their jurisdiction lol.  He's now got good tags and I have a new grey hair.

Reagan

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #7502 on: April 17, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »
Today I removed the tire chains from the Trans Am and gave her a bath. Next on the list is to bore scope the tranny.

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7503 on: April 17, 2019, 02:27:20 PM »
It seems like a manual transmission in most GM cars is a rarity, but especially the less performance minded ones.  I think it's a shame they never offered a manual in the later Grand Prix GXP and Monte Carlo SS, could've helped them better compete with the imports of the time I'd think.  At least they put a manual in the Cobalt SS and G5 GT.

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7504 on: April 17, 2019, 03:28:44 PM »
It seems like a manual transmission in most GM cars is a rarity, but especially the less performance minded ones.  I think it's a shame they never offered a manual in the later Grand Prix GXP and Monte Carlo SS, could've helped them better compete with the imports of the time I'd think.  At least they put a manual in the Cobalt SS and G5 GT.

I don't think GM had a manual for the front drives that could handle the 5.3 in the GXP and SS.  The 4T65E that is in them now is at its limit with the power they put out now. The closest thing they have would be the F40 6spd out of the G6 GTP and I can imagine the 5.3 would make quick work of that without some beefing up.

Speaking of rare manual sightings, back in the day, I was looking at a brand new Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais with wire wheel covers, the famous Quad 4............................and a 5 spd.  It was silver blue with dark blue interior.  I had to do a double take.  It would have been fun to make some noise in that thing, but I instead opted for the Beretta GT with the 5spd...........glad I did.  It was way more fun.

Reagan

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7505 on: April 17, 2019, 05:20:42 PM »
I meant more so the earlier 3.8 supercharged variants, since there was the F40 used in the Saab 9-3 at the same time.  For the LS4 it'd depend on how much power 9-3 owners are pushing through their F40 to sorta know, but I suspect it might could manage.  Which I suppose the turbo Cobalt SS and G5 GT are the peak of GM FWD manual performance, probably a good value these days if you don't mind FWD.

It's kind of funny what cars do and don't have manuals as options, and then who ultimately orders them as such in some instances.  Like could you imagine a Cadillac DeVille with a manual, had it ever been offered, and who'd even buy one that way. :lol:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7506 on: April 17, 2019, 05:28:43 PM »
That's ok I can't even imagine trying to drive a FWD V8 with a manual, torque steer for days.  FWD V6 with a manual is bad enough.

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7507 on: April 17, 2019, 05:35:49 PM »
I think stock LS4 GXPs were pushing about 305hp off the lot.  The 4t65e in those are an "HD" version but according to Triple Edge Performance, still not meant for a lot of abuse. That tranny was put into everything during that time. Ive got the same tranny in the Aztek and it started having little hiccups at 150k. It now has over 200k and is most likely in need of an overhaul. I wish they would have given the option of the F40 mated to the 3800 SC or the LS4. Those would be fun cars.  I actually liked the feel of jamming through the gears of my Beretta. Yea it would jerk the wheel a bit, but nothing like seeing peoples expression when you were rowing the gears and get the tires to chirp in third gear.......from a measly 140hp V6 lol

Reagan

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7508 on: April 17, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
Yes, a manual can make the most gutless of engines bearable.  The paltry 110 horsepower in my Celica wasn't so bad with the 5-speed, could get it to chirp into second and if you banged off redline going into third you'd hit interstate speeds before you'd have to merge.  From what I can gather from a quick search the F40 will survive 300ish horsepower and torque indefinitely so long as you don't beat on it, so sorta like the T-5 in the Mustangs and third gen F-bodies would survive so long as it wasn't thrashed.

And there are people doing the LS4 and F40 in Fieros, so that'd be really fun.  I'd love an '88 GT(only one with Lotus suspension and not Citation rehash) with a LS4 and F40, but that'd take lots of money.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:47:59 PM by Box »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7509 on: April 17, 2019, 06:25:15 PM »
Well here it is, a 2008 BMW 335i:

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7510 on: April 17, 2019, 08:22:43 PM »
Nice car but still not T/A.

Today I broke down and order a Honda GX630 V twin engine to replace the Briggs and stratton Vanguard on my Grasshopper mower. $2400 as it needs a few adapters because it uses two PTOs. My briggs runs ok bit is pumping oil out the breather tube into the carb. It empties the crank case in one mowing.  Compression is around 145 PSI, but it must still have blow by. Power is really lacking now too. Went with the Honda because it has the most HP of the two options that will fit my frame. Hope it's a good engine, two many conflicting opinions on the net now a days.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7511 on: April 17, 2019, 09:50:46 PM »
At least it makes 500 horsepower with bolt-ons and a tune though, so that's something right? :lol:

We had a Crapman with the Break & Scrap 'em engine, after needing more rebuilds than I want to count it threw a rod and that ended it.  Now there's a Husqvarna with a Kawasaki V-twin in its place, significantly better is an understatement.  Just the engine alone is so much smoother and quieter, it's amazing really.

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7512 on: April 17, 2019, 11:07:33 PM »
Those 335 coupes are a very nice car, we just got rid of our 08 328 sedan. We loved it but it was starting to need work regularly to keep reliable and I just didn’t want to bother or worry about it anymore. It was my wife’s daily driver, so we replaced it with a 2014 335 GT that has only 32,000km(20,000miles)on it. I just installed the JB4+ tuner and a tuned turbo inlet system (380HP at this point) The rest of the bolt ons( catless down pipe, High Density intercooler, oversized charge pipe and turbo outlet pipe) are sitting in the garage waiting for another free day.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7513 on: April 17, 2019, 11:39:55 PM »
It is, especially since it has the higher spec leather interior instead of the leatherette.  It's Black Sapphire metallic paint with black leather, very nice.  It has the JB4 tuner on it too, apparently that's the best one for them.  This one only has 70K miles on it, and he's used to working on European cars(one would hope since that's his job) and it seems to have been really taken care of.  Being it's the cheapest source of 500+ horsepower he's willing to pay to play, as he's been looking at replacing the Genesis for awhile now since it peaked at 300 or so horsepower without having to build a MKII block and then you peaked at around 500 street-able horsepower where the N54 is just getting started.  Apparently people do 700-800+ horsepower builds all of the time on stock internals of the N54, which knowing him once he sells the Genesis and its parts as well as the Audi it wouldn't surprise me if that's not to follow shortly after.  Of course it's not low enough for him even though it has the sport package, so he's looking at ST Suspension coil-overs which apparently are the same as KW now just with galvanized steel instead of stainless.  That and it's going to cost $2K to put a LSD into it, since BMW got cute and welded the ring gear to the carrier so you can't put one in yourself and have to buy a complete center section.

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7514 on: April 18, 2019, 05:30:52 AM »
That's ok I can't even imagine trying to drive a FWD V8 with a manual, torque steer for days.  FWD V6 with a manual is bad enough.

back in the late 80's- early 90's, Ford Australia was selling a Telstar TX-5 Turbo with a manual in it. It was famous for swapping lanes on full throttle shifts.

Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7515 on: April 18, 2019, 07:41:58 AM »

back in the late 80's- early 90's, Ford Australia was selling a Telstar TX-5 Turbo with a manual in it. It was famous for swapping lanes on full throttle shifts.

IIRC, something very similar was sold here named the Merkur XR4Ti.  Guy in school had one.  Thought he was the shiznit...............uh, sure. 

Box, while driving the boy's GXP home after work, I was stepping into it pretty good to see what kind of torque steer it had at different speeds.  Needless to say, a manual in that would either really hone your driving skills or make you a regular customer at your local body shop.  Its a bit squirrely.

I have been contemplating doing the F40 swap on the Black McLaren Grand Prix project.  I think that coupled with the 3.1 Turbo would make it a lively fun coupe.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:44:24 AM by GTABill »

Reagan

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7516 on: April 18, 2019, 09:20:16 AM »

IIRC, something very similar was sold here named the Merkur XR4Ti.  Guy in school had one.  Thought he was the shiznit...............uh, sure. 

Box, while driving the boy's GXP home after work, I was stepping into it pretty good to see what kind of torque steer it had at different speeds.  Needless to say, a manual in that would either really hone your driving skills or make you a regular customer at your local body shop.  Its a bit squirrely.

I have been contemplating doing the F40 swap on the Black McLaren Grand Prix project.  I think that coupled with the 3.1 Turbo would make it a lively fun coupe.

I had a 1990 Cavalier Z24 5 speed in high school and loved that car. I remember seeing one of the GTP Grand Prix in the pick and pull and was very tempted to pull out the Turbo 3.1 for my car. I've kept my eyes out for another Cav, but they are really hard to come by.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7517 on: April 18, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
It is, especially since it has the higher spec leather interior instead of the leatherette.  It's Black Sapphire metallic paint with black leather, very nice.  It has the JB4 tuner on it too, apparently that's the best one for them.  This one only has 70K miles on it, and he's used to working on European cars(one would hope since that's his job) and it seems to have been really taken care of.  Being it's the cheapest source of 500+ horsepower he's willing to pay to play, as he's been looking at replacing the Genesis for awhile now since it peaked at 300 or so horsepower without having to build a MKII block and then you peaked at around 500 street-able horsepower where the N54 is just gettingo started.  Apparently people do 700-800+ horsepower builds all of the time on stock internals of the N54, which knowing him once he sells the Genesis and its parts as well as the Audi it wouldn't surprise me if that's not to follow shortly after.  Of course it's not low enough for him even though it has the sport package, so he's looking at ST Suspension coil-overs which apparently are the same as KW now just with galvanized steel instead of stainless.  That and it's going to cost $2K to put a LSD into it, since BMW got cute and welded the ring gear to the carrier so you can't put one in yourself and have to buy a complete center section.
We sold ours with right about that mileage(132,000km) Even if it’s been well looked after he should be ready for a few things to need attention, the high pressure fuel pump, water pump and radiator are all know issues. The brakes should have been done by then, but if it’s always rotors, pads and sensors. Brake fluid and coolant are to be flushed every two or three years. The valve cover gasket and the cover itself crack and neeed replacing. We also started having wiring issues with the harness out to the trunk, the area where it flexes to open and close the trunk was the issue. The parts are a little pricy so they are not cheap to own, but they are great cars.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:11:22 AM by nas t eh »
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7518 on: April 18, 2019, 01:55:47 PM »

Which a helical LSD helps mitigate torque steer, just a matter if one is even available for a given transaxle.  Also yes, F40 swapping it would be awesome.

We sold ours with right about that mileage(132,000km) Even if it’s been well looked after he should be ready for a few things to need attention, the high pressure fuel pump, water pump and radiator are all know issues. The brakes should have been done by then, but if it’s always rotors, pads and sensors. Brake fluid and coolant are to be flushed every two or three years. The valve cover gasket and the cover itself crack and neeed replacing. We also started having wiring issues with the harness out to the trunk, the area where it flexes to open and close the trunk was the issue. The parts are a little pricy so they are not cheap to own, but they are great cars.
I found him a video of the 20 or so common E92 problems and he still wanted one, so he's aware of the HPFP, water pump, cooling system, and turbo waste gate issues.  That and specific to the coupe are the tail lights constantly failing.  Of course for him those are all excuses for doing upgrades when possible.  He did a fluid flush and change after getting it at work, but I mentioned checking the brakes since at that mileage they could be due.  Being I can't think of many other means of getting 500+ easy street-able horsepower for under $10-15,000 I guess it's something you deal with.  Personally I'd just buy a Corvette and be happy with 400 something horsepower, but I'm not the speed demon he is either.  I thought the 142 horsepower in the NB2 Miata was sufficient if that says anything. :lol:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:58:33 PM by Box »

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #7519 on: April 18, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
Today I registered the Trans Am in South Dakota one step closer to removing the California from my life.

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

« Reply #7519 on: April 18, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
You can help support TAC!