Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 405902 times)

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
Re: Today I...
« Reply #5760 on: February 08, 2018, 10:22:09 PM »
It's amazing what driving to the conditions can do for you as well.  Never ceases to amaze me how people won't slow down for bad weather conditions.  Like if you're on a 35-45 mph county road ok you don't have to really, but on a 70-80 mph interstate slow down to 50-55.  It varies from state to state, I think the minimum is 40-50 for interstates.  I want to say 40 I've seen in Alabama, that sounds right.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5761 on: February 08, 2018, 10:28:16 PM »
It's amazing what driving to the conditions can do for you as well.  Never ceases to amaze me how people won't slow down for bad weather conditions.  Like if you're on a 35-45 mph county road ok you don't have to really, but on a 70-80 mph interstate slow down to 50-55.  It varies from state to state, I think the minimum is 40-50 for interstates.  I want to say 40 I've seen in Alabama, that sounds right.
I Love to speed .
But I know to slow down in Bad weather.
That is the 2nd time in 1 month I have witnessed an accident in the rearview Mirrior in the 63 Pontiac Box.
I do not know what people are thinking.
Its not like You can Miss the Big Blue Pontiac.  Its like 10 Harley Davidson V-Twin Motorcyles roaring down the road.
No Exhaust whatsoever. Deafening Loud so its easily heard too.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5762 on: February 09, 2018, 02:04:36 AM »
What kills me is when people go on about how you can't use RWD in snow, or how RWD is dangerous in the rain.  Is it more so than FWD or especially AWD, yes, but if you drive sensibly and use the right tires you're fine.  It's like what do you think people prior to FWD and AWD had to drive?  Plus the tires these days are infinitesimally better than what was available then.  I'd take a RWD with winter/snow tires and a LSD over an open diff FWD with all seasons or AWD with summer tires as far as traversing through the snow and ice goes.  If the tires can't grip doesn't matter which ones or how many are spinning.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5763 on: February 09, 2018, 05:51:59 AM »
I drive my 4X4 in two wheel drive 99* of the time. I usually only use it when I'm plowing or the roads are a absolute mess. I don't like to put the extra stress on the T case.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5764 on: February 09, 2018, 08:30:19 AM »
Staying home today. Roads are slick and many accidents have been reported local.
Not risking making the drive in to work in South Chicago.
Snow is falling light.
Chicago was hit good.

« Reply #5764 on: February 09, 2018, 08:30:19 AM »

Mumbles

• Active Forum Member
  • 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS7
« Reply #5765 on: February 09, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »
Nice balmy 33 here today.  Had to get the Firehawk out so the movers could put stuff in the storage unit. 

All moved in now and can begin the thinning process.

Hardtop Firehawk Formula.  Bad@$$ ride man!

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5766 on: February 09, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »
Staying home today. Roads are slick and many accidents have been reported local.
Not risking making the drive in to work in South Chicago.
Snow is falling light.
Chicago was hit good.

hear it's a snow day in IL and WI today...

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5767 on: February 09, 2018, 03:01:47 PM »
Speaking of AWD I want one:

Back when Toyota was cool, sadly they're impossible to find.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5768 on: February 09, 2018, 03:40:24 PM »
70RA, I was thinking about you this morning as I was watching the morning news as they were showing pics of Chicago getting socked in with snow! Hope you made it through the day ok. Our weather in MD is a daily roller coaster. 2 days ago freezing rain, today was in the mid 40's, and sunny. Actually a very nice day to be working outside.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5769 on: February 09, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
70RA, I was thinking about you this morning as I was watching the morning news as they were showing pics of Chicago getting socked in with snow! Hope you made it through the day ok. Our weather in MD is a daily roller coaster. 2 days ago freezing rain, today was in the mid 40's, and sunny. Actually a very nice day to be working outside.
I am OK.  I stayed home today. 
40's temp be nice again here.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5770 on: February 09, 2018, 03:47:56 PM »
Speaking of AWD I want one:

Back when Toyota was cool, sadly they're impossible to find.
I never have seen one in person Box.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5771 on: February 09, 2018, 03:55:35 PM »
Doing Tech on a few Facebook car engine groups.
Cam in question today was a Comp Cams Mother Thumper.
I ran an engine simulation on a Chevy 350 with iron 64 cc heads.
I did not know what to expect.
At 2,000 Rpms it made just 62 ft/lbs of torque.
Peak Torque was at 5,000 rpm with just 243 ft/lbs
Peak power at 6,000 was 252 HP.

The goal was to determine what stall torque converter to use.
I said maybe 2,000-2,500.
Others said 3,000-3,500.

The correct answer was to ditch the Mother Thump Cam.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:05:34 PM by 70RAIV455 »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5772 on: February 09, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5773 on: February 09, 2018, 04:09:54 PM »
Its so Bad...a stock cam is a better choice than a Mother Thumper.
The VE numbers are Just terrible !

Going to get passed by a Fart Can Honda Racer & then be on You Tube from those kids street racing you & they Won.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5774 on: February 09, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »
I've never seen one either, have seen the mundane GT version though.  Sadly it's just FWD with a meager 130 hp.  The All-Trac/GT-Four was 200 hp from a turbocharged 2.0 though it's easy enough to get more, that or I imagine most people go to the fourth generation of the same engine since they're 260 or so hp from the start and have higher potential from improvements over the years.

Real Hondas you have to watch out for, K20/K24 done right makes stupid power for the displacement.  Hell even a stock K20 is making 200-210 hp stock naturally aspirated, which goes a long way in a 2,500 pound car.  I'd definitely put money on a stock RSX Type-S over some 3,500-4,000 pound car with an anemic 350 making similar power backed by a slush box.  The Mother Thumper is just for the noise, all it's good for.  So cruiser cars you don't care how slow it is.

« Reply #5774 on: February 09, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5775 on: February 09, 2018, 06:17:30 PM »
I've never seen one either, have seen the mundane GT version though.  Sadly it's just FWD with a meager 130 hp.  The All-Trac/GT-Four was 200 hp from a turbocharged 2.0 though it's easy enough to get more, that or I imagine most people go to the fourth generation of the same engine since they're 260 or so hp from the start and have higher potential from improvements over the years.

Real Hondas you have to watch out for, K20/K24 done right makes stupid power for the displacement.  Hell even a stock K20 is making 200-210 hp stock naturally aspirated, which goes a long way in a 2,500 pound car.  I'd definitely put money on a stock RSX Type-S over some 3,500-4,000 pound car with an anemic 350 making similar power backed by a slush box.  The Mother Thumper is just for the noise, all it's good for.  So cruiser cars you don't care how slow it is.
Hmmm..

You may be right Box.
I really like a Turbo 400. I know you do not much.
Its a Close ratio Auto when compared to all others.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5776 on: February 09, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
I just don't like automatics for personal use, if someone else likes them that's fine and dandy.  I don't trust them being the biggest thing as EVERY one I've ever tried died on me almost instantly after buying, but every manual car I've bought has been a good car.  That and they're just not fun for me, a semi-manual like VW/Audi DSG, Porsche PDK, or a sequential manual(either lever or paddles) would just be bearable enough perhaps.  At least then I'm still choosing when it shifts and not some computer, or worse a vacuum modulator, though I think the DSG might shift on you in certain circumstances even in manual mode but it could depend on the car.

Anyhow driver side tires on the Miata were practically flat, maybe 10 psi on the front and 15 psi on the rear.  Oddly enough passenger front was at 25 and rear maybe 28.  So rolled it back to get the tires off where they've been flat and aired them back up to 30 psi and took it for a short jaunt down the road to make sure they were in round.  I suppose tomorrow, if it's not raining, will go out with a bottle of soapy water and check the tires on the driver's side for any nails etc... since that's way more than what weather change would cause as indicated by the passenger side being fine for the most part.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5777 on: February 09, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »
I just don't like automatics for personal use, if someone else likes them that's fine and dandy.  I don't trust them being the biggest thing as EVERY one I've ever tried died on me almost instantly after buying, but every manual car I've bought has been a good car.  That and they're just not fun for me, a semi-manual like VW/Audi DSG, Porsche PDK, or a sequential manual(either lever or paddles) would just be bearable enough perhaps.  At least then I'm still choosing when it shifts and not some computer, or worse a vacuum modulator, though I think the DSG might shift on you in certain circumstances even in manual mode but it could depend on the car.

Anyhow driver side tires on the Miata were practically flat, maybe 10 psi on the front and 15 psi on the rear.  Oddly enough passenger front was at 25 and rear maybe 28.  So rolled it back to get the tires off where they've been flat and aired them back up to 30 psi and took it for a short jaunt down the road to make sure they were in round.  I suppose tomorrow, if it's not raining, will go out with a bottle of soapy water and check the tires on the driver's side for any nails etc... since that's way more than what weather change would cause as indicated by the passenger side being fine for the most part.
Once there is a nail or a puncture in a tire its no longer safe for high speeds.
On a Corvette or Racecar it can be considered Junk.
Must replace to be safe for high performance driving.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5778 on: February 10, 2018, 01:33:05 AM »
He can patch them at work if there's any punctures, must be safe enough for traveling at 70 mph or lower since they offer it instead of replacement if the puncture isn't too bad and the tire is still in good enough shape otherwise.  I suspect it's leaking at bead, in which case he can remount them at work.

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5779 on: February 10, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »
Valve stem to, look close at tread , if a low leak at first, then nail or screw wears off, leaks faster, have had mutilply nail, screw, lag, rebar, ect. Flats are no fun
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5780 on: February 10, 2018, 08:00:43 PM »
Valve stems and tires are new, but that's no guarantee they were installed properly.  Which it ended up raining all day, so maybe tomorrow can get out and look.  Just odd that it's really only the driver side.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #5781 on: February 10, 2018, 08:58:59 PM »
Today I...

Well, we both wanted to figure out why the Olds doesn't run.  I started out by simply pouring more gas down the carb than I should have, tweaking the distributor, and cranking it.  Again, cranks and cranks.  I got about 2 seconds of a ROUGH running engine and it immediately dies.  So no amount of gas down the carb will make any difference.  That means the fuel pump isn't the problem.

However, I did want to tear the carb apart because I suspected a stuck float or needle/seat.  I was right.  Upon removing the carb, it leaked gas everywhere, and there was fuel puddled in the intake manifold.  So I tore it down and yep, the float was touching the bottom of a dry fuel bowl and the needle was stuck open.  So the fuel was coming right in and going right out. 

At that point, she ordered a very basic rebuild kit and I checked the distributor, plugs, and wires.  There was ~some corrosion under the distributor cap, but not enough to cause a no spark condition.  Well we cleaned up all the distributor related parts and checked the plugs and wires.  All 8 plugs were fuel fouled.  One plug had the ceramic cracked off.  Two wires also had broken leads on the plugs. 

Great, pretty simple fix, but not until the rebuild kit gets here.  I don't have wires, either.  Waiting for payday lol.  The carb, I can just throw my Pontiac Q-jet on there... just to see if it starts.  It worked for the Camaro (barely).  That Camaro has other issues, though.  I swapped the carb back onto the T/A and despite some adjustments, it fired right up.

So the last thing before packing everything up was an attempted compression test.  NOT a good idea.  What happens when you take all 8 plugs out of an already fuel flooded engine, put a compression tester on, and crank it (remember too, still no carb)?  Fuel EVERYWHERE.  Not to mention the fumes which I swear I can still smell.

Blah.  Tomorrow is another day.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5782 on: February 11, 2018, 06:02:26 PM »
So I went to Guitar Center today in the kilt, had one guy compliment me and ask where I got it so that was cool.  Then a lot of guys after they saw I was a guy just gave me weird looks, one stared at me awkwardly as he walked by and then stared for a long time from the acoustic room so I just hid behind the amps in the electric section.  Then any girls there smiled at me, one with her boyfriend kept staring at me and then any time she was walking behind him would turn and look at me which I found funny.  Everyone else was indifferent or didn't notice I was a guy if they only saw me from the back I guess.  Overall I'd say the kilt is a success, the first time out in public I wanted it to be somewhere I felt comfortable and guys with long hair is nothing out of the ordinary there so a kilt added on would be no big deal.  Then afterwards I went to Wal-Mart and the trend seemed to be the same; guys giving weird looks, girls smiling, and everyone else indifferent or didn't notice since they only saw from the back.  I did have one guy follow me though which was weird until I stopped and turned around and then stared at him.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5783 on: February 11, 2018, 10:33:47 PM »
So I went to Guitar Center today in the kilt, had one guy compliment me and ask where I got it so that was cool.  Then a lot of guys after they saw I was a guy just gave me weird looks, one stared at me awkwardly as he walked by and then stared for a long time from the acoustic room so I just hid behind the amps in the electric section.  Then any girls there smiled at me, one with her boyfriend kept staring at me and then any time she was walking behind him would turn and look at me which I found funny.  Everyone else was indifferent or didn't notice I was a guy if they only saw me from the back I guess.  Overall I'd say the kilt is a success, the first time out in public I wanted it to be somewhere I felt comfortable and guys with long hair is nothing out of the ordinary there so a kilt added on would be no big deal.  Then afterwards I went to Wal-Mart and the trend seemed to be the same; guys giving weird looks, girls smiling, and everyone else indifferent or didn't notice since they only saw from the back.  I did have one guy follow me though which was weird until I stopped and turned around and then stared at him.

Well......the guy following you might have been turned on ?

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5784 on: February 11, 2018, 10:35:16 PM »
Carry a Stungun at least Box.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5785 on: February 11, 2018, 11:41:47 PM »
I suppose it's possible, but rather or not the kilt was the determining factor who's to say since I've had guys hit on me when I was wearing shorts plenty of times.  Besides it was in the middle of a busy store in the middle of the day, so I don't think anyone would try anything anyway but I can hold my own if needed despite not liking violence.  It was just REALLY odd, he even had this weird infatuated look on his face too.  Sigh, why is it always guys...  Though that one girl at Guitar Center, if it wasn't for the fact she was with her boyfriend I'd have actually said hi and introduced myself.  If you know me you know how little self confidence I have, that's how much she was looking at me.  She was cute too, oh well...

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #5786 on: February 12, 2018, 05:42:20 AM »

Hahahaha!  Box for the win!

I just thought of what would make all this an uber-win scenario.  All you need is a loud, deep, commanding voice. 

Well, gents, I'm a little disappointed.  So all this excitement over the 84 Custom Cruiser.  We all certainly thought it was a once in lifetime find.  Like who keeps a Olds wagon (with a low compression, smogged 307, TH200, and 2.41 gears) all these years and its still mint???

Apparently someone else did, too.  I was at a gas station on base and low and behold:

20180211_181300" border="0

This one is an 85.  I found the owner and he said the original 307 is long gone.  This one has a cammed 454 :-)
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5787 on: February 12, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »
There ya go 'caff. Youre not alone. Once you get that car dialed in, it will make a great parts runner. Kinda like having a pickup with a cap on it. As a child of the 60's with plenty of siblings, Mom always had a wagon. Def. the most uncool car of all time. But since the minivan took over that title I think theyre kinda neat now.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Hutchman

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5788 on: February 12, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »
Nice balmy 33 here today.  Had to get the Firehawk out so the movers could put stuff in the storage unit. 

All moved in now and can begin the thinning process.

Hardtop Firehawk Formula.  Bad@$$ ride man!

Thanks!  Yep, not too many at all.  There were 31 Hardtop Firehawks in 01, 25 Manuals, and 3 pewter HTs with a manual.  I just stumbled across it one night from an add on ls1tech.  Seems like a decent car so far.  Can't wait for good weather!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:35:30 AM by Hutchman »

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5789 on: February 12, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »

Hahahaha!  Box for the win!

I just thought of what would make all this an uber-win scenario.  All you need is a loud, deep, commanding voice. 

Well, gents, I'm a little disappointed.  So all this excitement over the 84 Custom Cruiser.  We all certainly thought it was a once in lifetime find.  Like who keeps a Olds wagon (with a low compression, smogged 307, TH200, and 2.41 gears) all these years and its still mint???

Apparently someone else did, too.  I was at a gas station on base and low and behold:

20180211_181300" border="0

This one is an 85.  I found the owner and he said the original 307 is long gone.  This one has a cammed 454 :-)
Haha, thanks.  Sadly my voice is in that upper end of male/lower end of female in pitch, so no go there.

Hey look, one of those weirdos I was talking about. :P

Hutchman

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5790 on: February 12, 2018, 09:38:01 AM »
That's a good looking wagon.  I like all station wagons!

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5791 on: February 12, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
Driving in to work.
Black Ice.
Cars, a Snowplow in the ditch, a towtruck in the ditch as I drove by.
A big Blue Ford Van spun out in front of me.
Then into the Ditch on Rt 80.
Missed him by 20 feet.
In the Honda Crv.
Glad I put Firestone Winterforce tires on it.

Holy Sheet drive today.

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5792 on: February 12, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
Yes, the old wagons are making a comeback, make cool hot rod
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5793 on: February 12, 2018, 07:36:57 PM »
The Best Bracket racing Drag car ever made was a station wagon like shown.
As long as it runs 16's -14's its Super Consistent.
Down to the 100/ths of a second dial in time and no black box electronics used.

I have watched many in station wagons take home $5,000 -$10,000 Cash from winning the weekend finals.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5794 on: February 13, 2018, 01:34:12 AM »
The only wagons I really like are hearses:

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5795 on: February 13, 2018, 03:43:57 AM »
The only wagons I really like are hearses:

When John F. Kennedy was shot he was taken away in A Pontiac Bonneville Ambulance.
Recall hearing it had a 389 Tri Power V8.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5796 on: February 13, 2018, 07:59:25 AM »
Box, I have to say I'm not surprised.

As far as the Pontiac ambulance, It was Navy issue, there was quite a bit of controversy about it several years ago as one was sold at auction that was supposed to be it. They have well documented proof and pictures of the day the original was crushed.

I was at the Keenland concours a number of years ago, and one of the winning cars was a factory lightweight Pontiac wagon from '61 or '62. When that thing was running I swear the ground was shaking around it, and you could hear it from about a half mile away!  When he went to pull up to the winner circle the dreaded heat soak prevented the car from starting. A few guys said they would push start him. The owner just laughed! He said that would impossible with the amount of torque it had.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5797 on: February 13, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »
I dunno and even then it's old hearses, so pre 70's mostly.  Though I don't really care for most cars unless they have two doors, so it's not so much a dislike of wagons as it is a dislike of anything that's not a coupe.  I am inclined to liking wagons over sedans for whatever that is worth.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5798 on: February 14, 2018, 02:55:20 PM »
I like 3 door hatchbacks somewhat, that's kind of like a wagon right?

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5799 on: February 14, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »
I'm trying to think of ways to burn calories and lose weight without building muscle, so I guess that's all cardio stuff then.  Walking, climbing stairs, and stationary bike.  Sounds good.  I charged up my mp3 player so I'll have it to listen to and help pass the time.  Maybe after losing weight I'll focus on building muscle, but if it's anything like when I would work out in the past I'll just want to focus on my legs.  EVERYDAY IS LEG DAY. :lol:

« Reply #5799 on: February 14, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »
You can help support TAC!