Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 697357 times)

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #1320 on: April 17, 2016, 09:48:55 AM »
.....the squeaking came back, so much for me thinking the other day it went away and just fixed itself :lol:

Sometimes turning up the stereo will take care of it :lol:

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #1321 on: April 17, 2016, 10:01:13 AM »
.....the squeaking came back, so much for me thinking the other day it went away and just fixed itself :lol:

Sometimes turning up the stereo will take care of it :lol:

Yes sir it does. Add A/C noise and it even drowns out the high-pitched squeal of your brake pads wearing  thin....so much that you've got to replace your rotors! (This last October )  :lol:
1977 Trans Am stroked 400 (468)
1989 Iroc-Z28 5.7 TPI 90K original miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS LS 2/4L65e
1997 Silverado 5.7 Z71 Single Cab, Short box (daily driver)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #1322 on: April 17, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »
My car is surprisingly quiet, it's a lot quieter than the '96 Z28 my father had but his also had T-tops.  Of course once I do the intake and subsequently the exhaust it'll be a bit louder inside, but those are good noises to hear.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #1323 on: April 17, 2016, 07:36:53 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:57:05 PM by Jack »

Regards, Jack

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1324 on: April 17, 2016, 08:12:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp2SQtuU2-A

Yes, now that is what I'm talking about.  Light em up if you got em.

« Reply #1324 on: April 17, 2016, 08:12:21 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1325 on: April 17, 2016, 08:54:54 PM »
I was expecting it to be held out longer. :P

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1326 on: April 17, 2016, 09:58:05 PM »
haha, thanks guys... everyone has told me not to worry about the squeaking so for now, radio up is what will be. and yeah, when i first started the car and it was nice and peaceful out, there was some noise i could not pin-point, but again, radio fixes that one!!!

that's a bad ass ride Jack, and ;) haha, nice.... wonder when i will finally get them wheels spinning on my ride :shock: i did manage to fish-tail it a bit the other day coming into a street from a sub-street, it was fun and it was very well controlled so no crap in pants from the passenger :lol:

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1327 on: April 17, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »
oh, and am ordering a sun shade for the front window and also will be ordering some seat covers since the driver seat is torn a bit, and the seat covers will be better here for the SoCal hot weather, rather then the leather seats... and also going to be looking to get a cover for the front dash, the glare from it on the window is nuts!!!

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1328 on: April 17, 2016, 10:26:43 PM »
I'm glad I have cloth seats in mine, hold me in better and no burning my thighs. :P  As far as the dash goes if you used interior cleaner on it and then hit it with Meguiar's Ultimate it won't be super shiny, almost like a satin or semi-gloss sheen to it.  The sun shade is a good idea though, I need to get around to finding a custom one for the fourth gen since nothing else is nowhere big enough.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1329 on: April 17, 2016, 11:47:57 PM »
I'm glad I have cloth seats in mine, hold me in better and no burning my thighs. :P  As far as the dash goes if you used interior cleaner on it and then hit it with Meguiar's Ultimate it won't be super shiny, almost like a satin or semi-gloss sheen to it.  The sun shade is a good idea though, I need to get around to finding a custom one for the fourth gen since nothing else is nowhere big enough.

my dash has a couple cracks in it too so figured maybe a good way to cover it up, keep the interior clean/last longer and get the shine away, but will keep the Meguiar's product in mind and on the list.... as to the sun shade, i think i found a place that makes them specific to the car, my neighbor has purchased stuff from them before and says they fit well on his trucks and an SUV. i think it's like $65, but may be worth it if fits well in the 4th gen. if you want to wait i will most likely order this coming week, although they say it can take up to 2 weeks for delivery as they don't stuck, they cut to the specific car and order and then ship.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #1330 on: April 18, 2016, 06:11:28 AM »
Today I... actually this entire past weekend... wasted about $500 and 18~ish hours fixing my daily driver. That time estimate includes labor, parts runs, and tool fabrication.  I'm highly, HIGHLY upset about all of this.  That's  a lot of time and money to be wasting on a frikken vehicle with over 270K. 

Oh and also, that water outlet housing that I was talking about...  I ended up snapping a sensor off inside it  :evil:  That meant I had to break out my mad tap and die skillz :-)  What I REALLY needed was a helicoil.  Didn't have any that size, and on a Sunday.... good luck finding anything. 

Ha, I used a massive amount of teflon tape and snugged it up.  So far so good, but I don't trust it.  Then I put everything back together again only to have a fuel injector o-ring go bad.  Fuel everywhere.  Junkyard trip number 3 for the weekend. 

Everything said and done, I took poor Yota for a "spirited" test drive.  darn thing runs better now than it ever has.  The kicker:  The CEL has not turned on since the new timing belt was installed.....

If something catastrophic on this car fails one more time, I'm done with it.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1331 on: April 18, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »
Would it be easily possible to replace the free spinning body bushings with the front sheetmetal on the car?
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1332 on: April 18, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »
Replaced all mine ,the two in the middle,front of main body, I had two remove inner fenders due to spinning nuts, cages were barely welded. Passenger side was much easier to remove than driver side. Well worth the effort.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1333 on: April 18, 2016, 06:41:10 PM »

my dash has a couple cracks in it too so figured maybe a good way to cover it up, keep the interior clean/last longer and get the shine away, but will keep the Meguiar's product in mind and on the list.... as to the sun shade, i think i found a place that makes them specific to the car, my neighbor has purchased stuff from them before and says they fit well on his trucks and an SUV. i think it's like $65, but may be worth it if fits well in the 4th gen. if you want to wait i will most likely order this coming week, although they say it can take up to 2 weeks for delivery as they don't stuck, they cut to the specific car and order and then ship.
Ahhh ok, ye I have one small crack in mine next to the vent in the cap I need to get around to fixing but to do it right I need to figure out how to pull the cap and not make things worse than they are in the process.  Going to fiberglass it from the back so cracks will be a distant worry, I have thought about wrapping it in vinyl or carbon fiber as well but I can't decide.  If the sun shade turns out really well I'd like to hear about it, at the moment I'm using a Foose one I bought for my Celica and then used in the Miata.  Was too big for them but in the Firebird it does well enough to shade the steering wheel and shift knob and keep the cracked area out of the sun. :lol:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1334 on: April 18, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
Today I... actually this entire past weekend... wasted about $500 and 18~ish hours fixing my daily driver. That time estimate includes labor, parts runs, and tool fabrication.  I'm highly, HIGHLY upset about all of this.  That's  a lot of time and money to be wasting on a frikken vehicle with over 270K. 

Oh and also, that water outlet housing that I was talking about...  I ended up snapping a sensor off inside it  :evil:  That meant I had to break out my mad tap and die skillz :-)  What I REALLY needed was a helicoil.  Didn't have any that size, and on a Sunday.... good luck finding anything. 

Ha, I used a massive amount of teflon tape and snugged it up.  So far so good, but I don't trust it.  Then I put everything back together again only to have a fuel injector o-ring go bad.  Fuel everywhere.  Junkyard trip number 3 for the weekend. 

Everything said and done, I took poor Yota for a "spirited" test drive.  darn thing runs better now than it ever has.  The kicker:  The CEL has not turned on since the new timing belt was installed.....

If something catastrophic on this car fails one more time, I'm done with it.
270K is a lot for any vehicle, but from what I can recall you've pretty much replaced all the major stuff so you should be good for some time.  It sucks having to fix older cars but it's a lot cheaper than a $300+ monthly payment on something that's losing value faster than you're paying it off.  Then the difference in insurance and tags etc...

« Reply #1334 on: April 18, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1335 on: April 18, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »
Replaced all mine ,the two in the middle,front of main body, I had two remove inner fenders due to spinning nuts, cages were barely welded. Passenger side was much easier to remove than driver side. Well worth the effort.
Ok, I'll wait to reassemble the front once I do the bushings. Just sitting idle on it is killing me, I did use Rustoleum Hammered Rattle Can paint to cover one of the SFC. We 'll see how it looks tomorrow
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1336 on: April 18, 2016, 09:18:12 PM »
Just ordered a small phoenix decal to put onto the panel between the tail lights, the lack of birds finally got to me. :P

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1337 on: April 18, 2016, 10:13:53 PM »

Ahhh ok, ye I have one small crack in mine next to the vent in the cap I need to get around to fixing but to do it right I need to figure out how to pull the cap and not make things worse than they are in the process.  Going to fiberglass it from the back so cracks will be a distant worry, I have thought about wrapping it in vinyl or carbon fiber as well but I can't decide.  If the sun shade turns out really well I'd like to hear about it, at the moment I'm using a Foose one I bought for my Celica and then used in the Miata.  Was too big for them but in the Firebird it does well enough to shade the steering wheel and shift knob and keep the cracked area out of the sun. :lol:

cool, i'll let you know

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1338 on: April 18, 2016, 10:14:57 PM »
Just ordered a small phoenix decal to put onto the panel between the tail lights, the lack of birds finally got to me. :P

i'm missing the bird and most of the wording in the between the tail lights panel so will probably at some point get something as well :) take before and after pic for us  :-D

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1339 on: April 18, 2016, 11:36:40 PM »

i'm missing the bird and most of the wording in the between the tail lights panel so will probably at some point get something as well :) take before and after pic for us  :-D
I'll throw a picture up once it's on, hopefully it being in purple works out like I think it will.  I was thinking of putting a matching one that's larger onto the front bumper, but kinda meh on putting decals onto paint.  There had been someone selling what you're needing where it was the "Trans Am" lettering and phoenix but it seems their listing is gone at the moment.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1340 on: April 19, 2016, 02:37:06 PM »
Bought a set of Corvette 17x9.5 sawblades with practically new B.F. Goodrich Sport Comp-2 tires since I needed new tires anyway, and it didn't cost any more than a new set of tires for the stock 16x8's.  Hard to beat that. :P

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1341 on: April 19, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
I started painting my shaker today, the previous owners sure didn't leave anything untouched.

1986 T-Top T/A:

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1342 on: April 20, 2016, 07:10:42 AM »
Not quite finished, but almost there

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1343 on: April 20, 2016, 12:19:54 PM »
Looks like you're doing a good job, but what happened to the drain hole?

Air intake arrived today, might put on later or just wait until the weekend.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1344 on: April 20, 2016, 01:40:58 PM »
Looks like you're doing a good job, but what happened to the drain hole?

Air intake arrived today, might put on later or just wait until the weekend.
previous owners dicked with it, half of the lip on the driverside is a fiberglass repair. Probably more 'glass under the primer I didn't take off.

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1345 on: April 20, 2016, 02:57:12 PM »
Should be able to dremel out a hole then epoxy in a plastic drain hole that you can attach a hose to.  Then again I now notice the holes for the seal to attach to are also gone, so in that case I guess it doesn't really matter unless you were just going to silicone a seal onto it.

Removed the sticker from the dealership the car was originally bought from.  Some careful peeling, Liquid Wrench, and quick wax later it's like it was never there.  Removed the baked Formula sticker from the headlight cover, not so much luck there as the adhesive had eaten into the paint... :evil:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:00:11 PM by Box »

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1346 on: April 20, 2016, 04:54:50 PM »
Breather base and lid back from sand-blasting and satin black powder coat.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1347 on: April 20, 2016, 07:25:34 PM »
That turned out great Bruce! Well worth the price, and think of the time you saved.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1348 on: April 21, 2016, 07:07:21 AM »

I put a blue satin stripe on it like the spoiler, my shaker is finished!

1986 T-Top T/A:

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1349 on: April 21, 2016, 07:16:38 AM »

Looks good.  now just build the car around it.  :-D
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1350 on: April 21, 2016, 12:12:36 PM »
Looks good.  now just build the car around it.  :-D

Ha!  Add my freshly powder-coated breather under your shaker and the car is 90% done :lol: 

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1351 on: April 21, 2016, 01:08:54 PM »
The car will look nice as long as 1) they dont see inside it and 2) the hood and trunk stay closed...

1986 T-Top T/A:

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1352 on: April 21, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »
I started painting the extra(original?) set of dingy Cameo White mirrors in the Blue Satin, tape a stripe of around the edge and paint it in the White Primer. On that note, I scuffed up the rear center spoiler and was painting the last side it when the can died and spit a huge amount of paint out. Hhhmmm.... Buy a Senior Prom ticket or use that money to paint the car....decisions...decisions...

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1353 on: April 21, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »
Car stuff>overhyped school dance.  Paint is something you'll get to enjoy for a long time versus a single night you may or may not enjoy at all, the choice is obvious. :P

Wheels arrived in Nashville via FedEx at noon, so they should be at my door tomorrow or Saturday by the latest. Between the serpentine belt, cold air intake, and then wheels I have plenty to do this weekend.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #1354 on: April 21, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
I started painting the extra(original?) set of dingy Cameo White mirrors in the Blue Satin, tape a stripe of around the edge and paint it in the White Primer. On that note, I scuffed up the rear center spoiler and was painting the last side it when the can died and spit a huge amount of paint out. Hhhmmm.... Buy a Senior Prom ticket or use that money to paint the car....decisions...decisions...

The price of prom tickets really went up!!!

Regards, Jack

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1355 on: April 21, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »

The price of prom tickets really went up!!!
Well since theres unfortunently no chance of me driving it to school before the end of the school year(11 school days) I'm going to prom.

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1356 on: April 21, 2016, 08:24:16 PM »
Have fun, stay out of trouble, the usual. :P

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1357 on: April 21, 2016, 08:47:35 PM »
Have fun, stay out of trouble, the usual. :P
No promises ;)

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1358 on: April 22, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
What's sad is 9.5" front and back isn't even that wide and it won't be flush:

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #1359 on: April 22, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »
...get to change the flywheel ring gear on the 71.   yay.

« Reply #1359 on: April 22, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »
You can help support TAC!