Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 748321 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #1280 on: April 15, 2016, 04:25:34 AM »
I had a 2002 Lexus, basically a Camry. It's not too bad of a job to change the belt on that one. I think it took me 4 hrs.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #1281 on: April 15, 2016, 05:51:31 AM »
I had a 2002 Lexus, basically a Camry. It's not too bad of a job to change the belt on that one. I think it took me 4 hrs.

V6 or 4 cylinder?  Two totally different animals.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

ThKidd

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1282 on: April 15, 2016, 07:41:12 AM »
I watched a friend do the timing belt on our '91 Corolla (4 cyl, obviously) a few years back, and he removed the front passenger side wheel/tire and went in that way.  Can't remember, but he might have removed some of the fender liner too (if it has one).

Good luck with it.
1977 PHS-documented SE black-on-black (work in progress, ok, not much progress)

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1283 on: April 15, 2016, 09:07:45 AM »
Took the breather base and cover in for blasting and powder-coat.  Should be done mid next week.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1284 on: April 15, 2016, 09:45:13 AM »
i'm here just to say.... driving if fun once again for me :D

« Reply #1284 on: April 15, 2016, 09:45:13 AM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #1285 on: April 15, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »

The Lexus ES came with the V6 only, and is actually the Toyota Windom in Japan.  The Camry is the watered down budget version.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1286 on: April 15, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »
Same, I haven't had this much fun since my Miata.

royb

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1287 on: April 15, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »
Today I... had to suck 12 gallons of E85 out of my wife's brand-spankin'-new Subaru... She forgot my Yukon can run it, but her's can't. Haven't even made a payment on it yet.

At least I had room in the Yukon's tank for it, and enough 100% gas in the lawnmower tank to get her to the station to top off.
77 Espirit - Resto Thread
83 C10

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1288 on: April 15, 2016, 01:35:53 PM »
Same, I haven't had this much fun since my Miata.

haha, my last manual was a 1993 MX-3  :shock:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1289 on: April 15, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »
Those are nifty little cars with the 1.9 V6 in them.  It's popular to put in the Japanese market 200 hp 2.5 V6 in them, 200 hp goes a long way in a car that small and light.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1290 on: April 15, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »

The Lexus ES came with the V6 only, and is actually the Toyota Windom in Japan.  The Camry is the watered down budget version.

Gee, thanks.  Just the Hell do you know all this stuff, Box?

Today I...  I think it's obvious what I did today.  See reply #1301.  I was in the garage ALL day, except for parts runs.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1291 on: April 15, 2016, 08:46:28 PM »
Most of my years of car ownership have been with Japanese cars.  Toyota being my preferred manufacturer sort of like GM is my preferred domestic manufacturer, but I like most all brands so I tend to retain everything pertaining to cars in general.  Sorta like the GEO Prism is just a rebadged Toyota Corolla that sells for less because it says GEO on it instead of Toyota.  Funny thing about that is Toyota got the Cavalier in exchange and over in Japan there are right hand drive Toyota Cavaliers.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1292 on: April 15, 2016, 09:01:28 PM »
It because you the Wizard!!!

BTW, my squeaking issue went away, at least for now, I did nothing it just went away on it's own :D

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1293 on: April 16, 2016, 12:06:40 AM »
Searched in vain for 17" 5x120.65 rims that aren't 5-spokes for the millionth time.  So far the only thing I've really found are C4 sawblades:

I kind of like them, though I think it's more to the fact they're not "yet another 5-spoke" than how they look themselves.  I suppose in anthracite or black they would work ok.

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1294 on: April 16, 2016, 06:09:43 AM »
I got My formula inspected today.. Passed without a single remark :)  that was a huge relief, considering our laws are kinda like what they have in California..
Greetings from Northern Europe :-)

« Reply #1294 on: April 16, 2016, 06:09:43 AM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1295 on: April 16, 2016, 08:41:43 AM »
Like Box said. V6.But you know that now.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1296 on: April 16, 2016, 04:09:35 PM »
GM never ceases to amaze me, so for one what should've been a five minute job taking out the subwoofer to check it and putting it back in turned into over a half hour fiasco because instead of threading the sheet metal or welding in a nut they used flimsy clips that fall off once you take the speaker out... If that wasn't enough for some reason I have a SVC setup that was used in Camaros... *flips crap over and leaves*

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1297 on: April 16, 2016, 06:48:15 PM »
Today I... FINALLY finished the timing belt job on Yota! 

My A$$!  Took me the better part of two days.  Mostly because I could NOT find certain parts I needed.  If I would have had every part (AND TGOL) I'd needed right then and there, I'd guess the labor took about 10 hours.

Even then, after it was done, I turned the key and it fired right up.  No leaks and ran great :-)  Then I remembered the water outlet housing that had broken upon removing the motor mount brace from it.  Have to tear the whole top of the engine apart to get to it.  That means more money in parts and more time wasted :-(

It might be high time to get rid of this thing....

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1298 on: April 16, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »
Went on a great cruise with the Indy Firebird Club.  Fabulous weather here in Indiana.  After a slow start we headed to southern Indiana with its twisting roads for some fun.  Visited historical Rising Sun, Indiana.  Ate at a local diner and over all a great time with friends and Firebird enthusiasts.  Met a local young fan that saw our cars and stopped by.  He has a 1991, 305 5 speed.  He and is dad, who in his younger days had a 77 TA joined us for lunch.  Driving back stopped to gas up and another car guy came over and invited the group to a car show outside of Indy.  All this is one of the aspects that I enjoy; meeting others that enjoy cars, whether Firebirds or not, it is all good.   

Mumbles

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS7
« Reply #1299 on: April 16, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »
GM never ceases to amaze me, so for one what should've been a five minute job taking out the subwoofer to check it and putting it back in turned into over a half hour fiasco because instead of threading the sheet metal or welding in a nut they used flimsy clips that fall off once you take the speaker out... If that wasn't enough for some reason I have a SVC setup that was used in Camaros... *flips crap over and leaves*

I totally know what you mean when you mention the clips.  I just replaced the 2 Rear Quarter Panel Subwoofers in my 2000 WS6.  The clips don't want to stay in place.  They either fall off into the quarter panel or wanna stick to the magnet on the Sub.  I found giving them a little pinch before sliding them into place kept them where they need to be. 

The fact that they're clips instead of permanent fixtures did work out well for me.  I'm not sure the mounting holes on the aftermarket Subs I installed were in the same location as the factory pieces.  So being able to move the clips around made mounting much more simple.  I didn't have to drill any new holes.  :)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1300 on: April 16, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »

I totally know what you mean when you mention the clips.  I just replaced the 2 Rear Quarter Panel Subwoofers in my 2000 WS6.  The clips don't want to stay in place.  They either fall off into the quarter panel or wanna stick to the magnet on the Sub.  I found giving them a little pinch before sliding them into place kept them where they need to be. 

The fact that they're clips instead of permanent fixtures did work out well for me.  I'm not sure the mounting holes on the aftermarket Subs I installed were in the same location as the factory pieces.  So being able to move the clips around made mounting much more simple.  I didn't have to drill any new holes.  :)
Yeah I took and squeezed the clips with some pliers and it worked out, when I go to replace the other side I'll know to catch the top two clips.  I'm just more irked about it having the wrong system, the wiring hasn't been messed with and it's a Delco speaker so it's not due to a previous owner...

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1301 on: April 16, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »
.....the squeaking came back, so much for me thinking the other day it went away and just fixed itself :lol:

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1302 on: April 17, 2016, 09:48:55 AM »
.....the squeaking came back, so much for me thinking the other day it went away and just fixed itself :lol:

Sometimes turning up the stereo will take care of it :lol:

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #1303 on: April 17, 2016, 10:01:13 AM »

Sometimes turning up the stereo will take care of it :lol:

Yes sir it does. Add A/C noise and it even drowns out the high-pitched squeal of your brake pads wearing  thin....so much that you've got to replace your rotors! (This last October )  :lol:
1977 Trans Am stroked 400 (468)
1989 Iroc-Z28 5.7 TPI 90K original miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS LS 2/4L65e
1997 Silverado 5.7 Z71 Single Cab, Short box (daily driver)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1304 on: April 17, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »
My car is surprisingly quiet, it's a lot quieter than the '96 Z28 my father had but his also had T-tops.  Of course once I do the intake and subsequently the exhaust it'll be a bit louder inside, but those are good noises to hear.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #1305 on: April 17, 2016, 07:36:53 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:57:05 PM by Jack »

Regards, Jack

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1306 on: April 17, 2016, 08:12:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp2SQtuU2-A

Yes, now that is what I'm talking about.  Light em up if you got em.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1307 on: April 17, 2016, 08:54:54 PM »
I was expecting it to be held out longer. :P

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1308 on: April 17, 2016, 09:58:05 PM »
haha, thanks guys... everyone has told me not to worry about the squeaking so for now, radio up is what will be. and yeah, when i first started the car and it was nice and peaceful out, there was some noise i could not pin-point, but again, radio fixes that one!!!

that's a bad ass ride Jack, and ;) haha, nice.... wonder when i will finally get them wheels spinning on my ride :shock: i did manage to fish-tail it a bit the other day coming into a street from a sub-street, it was fun and it was very well controlled so no crap in pants from the passenger :lol:

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1309 on: April 17, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »
oh, and am ordering a sun shade for the front window and also will be ordering some seat covers since the driver seat is torn a bit, and the seat covers will be better here for the SoCal hot weather, rather then the leather seats... and also going to be looking to get a cover for the front dash, the glare from it on the window is nuts!!!

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1310 on: April 17, 2016, 10:26:43 PM »
I'm glad I have cloth seats in mine, hold me in better and no burning my thighs. :P  As far as the dash goes if you used interior cleaner on it and then hit it with Meguiar's Ultimate it won't be super shiny, almost like a satin or semi-gloss sheen to it.  The sun shade is a good idea though, I need to get around to finding a custom one for the fourth gen since nothing else is nowhere big enough.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1311 on: April 17, 2016, 11:47:57 PM »
I'm glad I have cloth seats in mine, hold me in better and no burning my thighs. :P  As far as the dash goes if you used interior cleaner on it and then hit it with Meguiar's Ultimate it won't be super shiny, almost like a satin or semi-gloss sheen to it.  The sun shade is a good idea though, I need to get around to finding a custom one for the fourth gen since nothing else is nowhere big enough.

my dash has a couple cracks in it too so figured maybe a good way to cover it up, keep the interior clean/last longer and get the shine away, but will keep the Meguiar's product in mind and on the list.... as to the sun shade, i think i found a place that makes them specific to the car, my neighbor has purchased stuff from them before and says they fit well on his trucks and an SUV. i think it's like $65, but may be worth it if fits well in the 4th gen. if you want to wait i will most likely order this coming week, although they say it can take up to 2 weeks for delivery as they don't stuck, they cut to the specific car and order and then ship.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1312 on: April 18, 2016, 06:11:28 AM »
Today I... actually this entire past weekend... wasted about $500 and 18~ish hours fixing my daily driver. That time estimate includes labor, parts runs, and tool fabrication.  I'm highly, HIGHLY upset about all of this.  That's  a lot of time and money to be wasting on a frikken vehicle with over 270K. 

Oh and also, that water outlet housing that I was talking about...  I ended up snapping a sensor off inside it  :evil:  That meant I had to break out my mad tap and die skillz :-)  What I REALLY needed was a helicoil.  Didn't have any that size, and on a Sunday.... good luck finding anything. 

Ha, I used a massive amount of teflon tape and snugged it up.  So far so good, but I don't trust it.  Then I put everything back together again only to have a fuel injector o-ring go bad.  Fuel everywhere.  Junkyard trip number 3 for the weekend. 

Everything said and done, I took poor Yota for a "spirited" test drive.  darn thing runs better now than it ever has.  The kicker:  The CEL has not turned on since the new timing belt was installed.....

If something catastrophic on this car fails one more time, I'm done with it.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1313 on: April 18, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »
Would it be easily possible to replace the free spinning body bushings with the front sheetmetal on the car?
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1314 on: April 18, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »
Replaced all mine ,the two in the middle,front of main body, I had two remove inner fenders due to spinning nuts, cages were barely welded. Passenger side was much easier to remove than driver side. Well worth the effort.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1315 on: April 18, 2016, 06:41:10 PM »

my dash has a couple cracks in it too so figured maybe a good way to cover it up, keep the interior clean/last longer and get the shine away, but will keep the Meguiar's product in mind and on the list.... as to the sun shade, i think i found a place that makes them specific to the car, my neighbor has purchased stuff from them before and says they fit well on his trucks and an SUV. i think it's like $65, but may be worth it if fits well in the 4th gen. if you want to wait i will most likely order this coming week, although they say it can take up to 2 weeks for delivery as they don't stuck, they cut to the specific car and order and then ship.
Ahhh ok, ye I have one small crack in mine next to the vent in the cap I need to get around to fixing but to do it right I need to figure out how to pull the cap and not make things worse than they are in the process.  Going to fiberglass it from the back so cracks will be a distant worry, I have thought about wrapping it in vinyl or carbon fiber as well but I can't decide.  If the sun shade turns out really well I'd like to hear about it, at the moment I'm using a Foose one I bought for my Celica and then used in the Miata.  Was too big for them but in the Firebird it does well enough to shade the steering wheel and shift knob and keep the cracked area out of the sun. :lol:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1316 on: April 18, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
Today I... actually this entire past weekend... wasted about $500 and 18~ish hours fixing my daily driver. That time estimate includes labor, parts runs, and tool fabrication.  I'm highly, HIGHLY upset about all of this.  That's  a lot of time and money to be wasting on a frikken vehicle with over 270K. 

Oh and also, that water outlet housing that I was talking about...  I ended up snapping a sensor off inside it  :evil:  That meant I had to break out my mad tap and die skillz :-)  What I REALLY needed was a helicoil.  Didn't have any that size, and on a Sunday.... good luck finding anything. 

Ha, I used a massive amount of teflon tape and snugged it up.  So far so good, but I don't trust it.  Then I put everything back together again only to have a fuel injector o-ring go bad.  Fuel everywhere.  Junkyard trip number 3 for the weekend. 

Everything said and done, I took poor Yota for a "spirited" test drive.  darn thing runs better now than it ever has.  The kicker:  The CEL has not turned on since the new timing belt was installed.....

If something catastrophic on this car fails one more time, I'm done with it.
270K is a lot for any vehicle, but from what I can recall you've pretty much replaced all the major stuff so you should be good for some time.  It sucks having to fix older cars but it's a lot cheaper than a $300+ monthly payment on something that's losing value faster than you're paying it off.  Then the difference in insurance and tags etc...

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1317 on: April 18, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »
Replaced all mine ,the two in the middle,front of main body, I had two remove inner fenders due to spinning nuts, cages were barely welded. Passenger side was much easier to remove than driver side. Well worth the effort.
Ok, I'll wait to reassemble the front once I do the bushings. Just sitting idle on it is killing me, I did use Rustoleum Hammered Rattle Can paint to cover one of the SFC. We 'll see how it looks tomorrow
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1318 on: April 18, 2016, 09:18:12 PM »
Just ordered a small phoenix decal to put onto the panel between the tail lights, the lack of birds finally got to me. :P

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1319 on: April 18, 2016, 10:13:53 PM »

Ahhh ok, ye I have one small crack in mine next to the vent in the cap I need to get around to fixing but to do it right I need to figure out how to pull the cap and not make things worse than they are in the process.  Going to fiberglass it from the back so cracks will be a distant worry, I have thought about wrapping it in vinyl or carbon fiber as well but I can't decide.  If the sun shade turns out really well I'd like to hear about it, at the moment I'm using a Foose one I bought for my Celica and then used in the Miata.  Was too big for them but in the Firebird it does well enough to shade the steering wheel and shift knob and keep the cracked area out of the sun. :lol:

cool, i'll let you know

« Reply #1319 on: April 18, 2016, 10:13:53 PM »
You can help support TAC!