Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 697477 times)

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #1280 on: April 10, 2016, 11:14:24 PM »
i was at the store today, should have looked for something... oh well, next time

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1281 on: April 11, 2016, 07:39:45 AM »
Today I...attemped to put on the body bushings. The back ones came off no problem, and the PTFB solids went on with no problems. Then the middle passenger one became free spinning and the driverside is stuck good.

I feel your pain, I had to remove the inner fender to get to the passenger side nut, and weld that in.. also ended up cutting the floor under the driver seat to get to that nut..

I took the first drive with new solid bushings yesterday, and it has firmed the entire car up a lot!

Greetings from Northern Europe :-)

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #1282 on: April 11, 2016, 10:41:35 AM »
Today I...attemped to put on the body bushings. The back ones came off no problem, and the PTFB solids went on with no problems. Then the middle passenger one became free spinning and the driverside is stuck good.

I feel your pain, I had to remove the inner fender to get to the passenger side nut, and weld that in.. also ended up cutting the floor under the driver seat to get to that nut..

I took the first drive with new solid bushings yesterday, and it has firmed the entire car up a lot!

Might be time for me to look into these, as well.  I currently have only the factory replacement bushings.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1283 on: April 11, 2016, 06:16:55 PM »
Yes  replaced mine two winters ago also added SFC.  Well worth the effort.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1284 on: April 12, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
Cleaned and conditioned the dash, you have to be a freaking contortionist to get it all. :-x

Box, what do you use for conditioning the dash?

« Reply #1284 on: April 12, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #1285 on: April 12, 2016, 02:51:16 PM »
Cleaned and conditioned the dash, you have to be a freaking contortionist to get it all. :-x

Box, what do you use for conditioning the dash?
Used Griot's interior cleaner then followed up with Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant.  I like it since it doesn't make the interior super shiny or greasy and it lasts about a month before needing redone, that and it protects from UV exposure.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1286 on: April 13, 2016, 01:55:17 PM »
Last night I...  ended up having to check out the brakes on the womans Jeep.  She said the pedal felt softer than usual.  She also absolutely had to have the dang thing for work the next day.

Fronts checked out fine, rears were toast.  Especially the driver side.  The pads were well worn and the rotor had some nice, deep gouges. 

I called my former employer to make sure they had the parts before venturing over there.  The phone rang 125 times before the phone cut out.  I called right back.  It rang another 75 times.  W..T..F...  It NEVER did that while I had worked there!

I said screw it and took a ride over.  As usual, 50 people in line and ONE person manning a station.

I don't miss it any.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1287 on: April 13, 2016, 05:03:25 PM »
Filled the shift knob with .177 lead beebees and plastic epoxy, went from 105 grams to 155 grams.  Had I hollowed it out more than what had been done for the thread insert I could've made it even heavier, but really didn't feel like potentially botching it and I'm happy with what was added.

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1288 on: April 13, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »
Filled the shift knob with .177 lead beebees and plastic epoxy, went from 105 grams to 155 grams.  Had I hollowed it out more than what had been done for the thread insert I could've made it even heavier, but really didn't feel like potentially botching it and I'm happy with what was added.

so... Curiosity has gotten the best of me.  What does adding 50 grams to your shifter knob do?  Its not anything about me saying its the correct or incorrect thing to do... 100% honest  curiosity.  I run a 4 speed Saginaw, with Hurst Competition plus shifter and a Hurst aluminum T grip.  Everything is mechanical in the setup, Its just what I am used to and know.  All my other cars are, and have been automagic.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1289 on: April 13, 2016, 06:42:28 PM »
Mostly it was being hollowed out bothered me so figured might as well make it heavier since was filling it anyway.  The heavier the shift knob the more momentum the shift lever carries during throws.  This is really more noticeable after a short shifter has been installed as the lever height and throw distance is reduced significantly.  Really the best explanation is that it goes into gear easier, and in my opinion makes shifting feel better.  Most o.e. knobs are around 80 grams, most aluminum knobs are around 180 grams, and then there are those made of stainless steel that weigh in around 454 grams.  As long as the shift lever is in a second gen you already have a good amount of momentum going, so knob weight won't be as influential as it is in the fourth gen where the shift lever is only a few inches long.

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1290 on: April 13, 2016, 08:26:32 PM »
interesting. thanks for the insight on that.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1291 on: April 13, 2016, 09:11:38 PM »
got more compliments today on the TA, even had a guy come out of a car and come over to check it out when i was taking out the t-tops at my park and ride lot :)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1292 on: April 14, 2016, 01:51:51 AM »
got more compliments today on the TA, even had a guy come out of a car and come over to check it out when i was taking out the t-tops at my park and ride lot :)
I couldn't tell you what that's like. :P  Yeah the Firebirds do seem to garner attention though, not sure about in your area but I can't tell you the last time I saw a Firebird of any generation out and about that didn't belong to me.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1293 on: April 14, 2016, 07:37:50 AM »
I couldn't tell you what that's like. :P  Yeah the Firebirds do seem to garner attention though, not sure about in your area but I can't tell you the last time I saw a Firebird of any generation out and about that didn't belong to me.

:lol: ---- but yeah, don't see many around anymore, but since i do pay a lot more attention from time to time i do spot something

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1294 on: April 14, 2016, 02:19:22 PM »
What's funny is the 4th gen Camaro comes up often enough, heck on the way to get my Firebird I think we saw at least ten between what was on the road or parked at houses or lots :shock:  Now what you do see all of the time are Mustangs, '94-04 models are EVERYWHERE as are the newer Mustangs and Camaros.  Challengers being the least common of the modern muscle/pony cars.

Anyhow, bought a cold air intake for the Firebird so that's exciting.  Have to remove the lame excuse of a factory intake to change the serpentine belt so I figured it was a good enough reason. :P

« Reply #1294 on: April 14, 2016, 02:19:22 PM »

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1295 on: April 14, 2016, 04:39:18 PM »
 :D pulled into hospital parking lot just a bit ago, and an older lady slowely walking, with her husband I assume, stopped by my car and gave some nice compliments, called it snazzy and stuff :D got me all smiles and looked like it gave them smiles as well... Love this car  :cool:

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1296 on: April 14, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »
Today I... am about ready to SCREAM!!

Woke up at 5 am after just a few hours of broken sleep.... to go to work for 13 solid hours today.  Not that I have a physically demanding job, but mentally demanding is another story.

Today is also payday... I've managed to spend nearly 60% of my paycheck on bills.  Lovely. 

Then, work is finally over (LLOONNGGG day!!) and I hop in Yota and start the 45 minute drive home.  I get literally 500 feet out the front gate and my car flatout DIES.   :shock:  :shock:  I pull over and do a quick inspection.  I'm pretty sure the timing belt failed.  I didn't get too much into it.

The only half good news here is that I have roadside assistance on my insurance SPECIFICALLY for this reason.  So I call said ins co.  Sure, they will tow me...  15 miles.  WHAT?!?  I live a solid 50 miles away!  They will tow up to 15 miles to the nearest repair shop.  I'm responsible for remaining mileage.  So I ask for an estimate on what the bill would be.  They say $150.  I'm like ok that's not tooooo awful bad.

So I called my father in hopes to get a ride home.  Luckily, he's not working and he can be there in less than an hour.  While I'm waiting for him, the towing company calls me directly.  They want the money up front for the tow.  darn....  They take credit cards.... Well lucky frikkin me...............  I said ok $150 right?  They said no sir its $260.  WHAT?!?!??!  That was my breaking point.  I did my best to hold it together while speaking with the towing company or I might not have a way to get Yota home...... but the second I hung up that phone I threw my own little fit right there on the side of the highway.  Any passerby's must have thought I was having a seizure.... lol...

About 10 minutes later I compose myself and call Autozone.  I'm almost 200% certain the timing belt snapped so I order everything I think I'll need for the job (non interference engine.... thank GAWD!).  Another $150+ down the drain. 

Well, by now it's coming up on 8:30.  Ok still relatively early but I'm still waiting on a ride.  My father shows up about 10 minutes later and I get home w/out further incident. 

........ oh but the nights not over!  9:45 pm and I'm trying to settle down.  Debating on calling off tomorrow.  It might be my best option at this point, especially with no immediate ride to work.   I crack open a beer and just then the towing company calls.  Lovely.  They are asking for directions and telling me that my car is now leaking something.  WTF???  Don't these people know what a GPS is?  20 minutes later I get off the phone and I go turn the lights on in the driveway so the tow truck driver knows right where to leave the car.  As I do this, the bulb burns out.  Jeezus cripes...  Crack open another beer and as I start removing the old bulb, it breaks off inside the frikkin light fixture  :evil: Grrrrr......

Now it's 10:15~ish and I'm ready to knock someone out.  Instead, I grab some pliers and fight to get the remainder of the old bulb (spotlight type) out of the light fixture.

10:30  Light fixed, driveway lit up like the 4th of July.  I come in, log in to TAC, and start typing.  10:45.  Tow truck driver calls me and says he's lost.  Grrrrr.....  However, he's actually very polite and professional.  Gotta give him credit. 

11:15  One LOUD ass tow truck backs my Camry right up into my garage :-)  I took some pics.  Not uploading them right now... Hell no.  Tow truck driver is right though.  Yota is spewing antifreeze from the passenger side.  Guess what.  The water pump is driven by the timing belt.  Soooo not looking forward to this mess :-(  I threw a drip pan under the car and locked the garage. 

11:30  I come back in and finish typing this frikken woeful novel.  I think I have my answer to whether or not I'm calling off tomorrow.  I should have been in bed almost 2 hours ago.   

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1297 on: April 14, 2016, 10:53:37 PM »
Just wasn't your day.  Nothing like doing a timing set on a transverse motor either, so much fun...not...

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1298 on: April 15, 2016, 04:25:34 AM »
I had a 2002 Lexus, basically a Camry. It's not too bad of a job to change the belt on that one. I think it took me 4 hrs.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1299 on: April 15, 2016, 05:51:31 AM »
I had a 2002 Lexus, basically a Camry. It's not too bad of a job to change the belt on that one. I think it took me 4 hrs.

V6 or 4 cylinder?  Two totally different animals.

ThKidd

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1300 on: April 15, 2016, 07:41:12 AM »
I watched a friend do the timing belt on our '91 Corolla (4 cyl, obviously) a few years back, and he removed the front passenger side wheel/tire and went in that way.  Can't remember, but he might have removed some of the fender liner too (if it has one).

Good luck with it.
1977 PHS-documented SE black-on-black (work in progress, ok, not much progress)

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1301 on: April 15, 2016, 09:07:45 AM »
Took the breather base and cover in for blasting and powder-coat.  Should be done mid next week.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1302 on: April 15, 2016, 09:45:13 AM »
i'm here just to say.... driving if fun once again for me :D

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1303 on: April 15, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »

The Lexus ES came with the V6 only, and is actually the Toyota Windom in Japan.  The Camry is the watered down budget version.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1304 on: April 15, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »
Same, I haven't had this much fun since my Miata.

royb

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1305 on: April 15, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »
Today I... had to suck 12 gallons of E85 out of my wife's brand-spankin'-new Subaru... She forgot my Yukon can run it, but her's can't. Haven't even made a payment on it yet.

At least I had room in the Yukon's tank for it, and enough 100% gas in the lawnmower tank to get her to the station to top off.
77 Espirit - Resto Thread
83 C10

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1306 on: April 15, 2016, 01:35:53 PM »
Same, I haven't had this much fun since my Miata.

haha, my last manual was a 1993 MX-3  :shock:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1307 on: April 15, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »
Those are nifty little cars with the 1.9 V6 in them.  It's popular to put in the Japanese market 200 hp 2.5 V6 in them, 200 hp goes a long way in a car that small and light.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1308 on: April 15, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »

The Lexus ES came with the V6 only, and is actually the Toyota Windom in Japan.  The Camry is the watered down budget version.

Gee, thanks.  Just the Hell do you know all this stuff, Box?

Today I...  I think it's obvious what I did today.  See reply #1301.  I was in the garage ALL day, except for parts runs.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1309 on: April 15, 2016, 08:46:28 PM »
Most of my years of car ownership have been with Japanese cars.  Toyota being my preferred manufacturer sort of like GM is my preferred domestic manufacturer, but I like most all brands so I tend to retain everything pertaining to cars in general.  Sorta like the GEO Prism is just a rebadged Toyota Corolla that sells for less because it says GEO on it instead of Toyota.  Funny thing about that is Toyota got the Cavalier in exchange and over in Japan there are right hand drive Toyota Cavaliers.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1310 on: April 15, 2016, 09:01:28 PM »
It because you the Wizard!!!

BTW, my squeaking issue went away, at least for now, I did nothing it just went away on it's own :D

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1311 on: April 16, 2016, 12:06:40 AM »
Searched in vain for 17" 5x120.65 rims that aren't 5-spokes for the millionth time.  So far the only thing I've really found are C4 sawblades:

I kind of like them, though I think it's more to the fact they're not "yet another 5-spoke" than how they look themselves.  I suppose in anthracite or black they would work ok.

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1312 on: April 16, 2016, 06:09:43 AM »
I got My formula inspected today.. Passed without a single remark :)  that was a huge relief, considering our laws are kinda like what they have in California..
Greetings from Northern Europe :-)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1313 on: April 16, 2016, 08:41:43 AM »
Like Box said. V6.But you know that now.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1314 on: April 16, 2016, 04:09:35 PM »
GM never ceases to amaze me, so for one what should've been a five minute job taking out the subwoofer to check it and putting it back in turned into over a half hour fiasco because instead of threading the sheet metal or welding in a nut they used flimsy clips that fall off once you take the speaker out... If that wasn't enough for some reason I have a SVC setup that was used in Camaros... *flips crap over and leaves*

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1315 on: April 16, 2016, 06:48:15 PM »
Today I... FINALLY finished the timing belt job on Yota! 

My A$$!  Took me the better part of two days.  Mostly because I could NOT find certain parts I needed.  If I would have had every part (AND TGOL) I'd needed right then and there, I'd guess the labor took about 10 hours.

Even then, after it was done, I turned the key and it fired right up.  No leaks and ran great :-)  Then I remembered the water outlet housing that had broken upon removing the motor mount brace from it.  Have to tear the whole top of the engine apart to get to it.  That means more money in parts and more time wasted :-(

It might be high time to get rid of this thing....

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1316 on: April 16, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »
Went on a great cruise with the Indy Firebird Club.  Fabulous weather here in Indiana.  After a slow start we headed to southern Indiana with its twisting roads for some fun.  Visited historical Rising Sun, Indiana.  Ate at a local diner and over all a great time with friends and Firebird enthusiasts.  Met a local young fan that saw our cars and stopped by.  He has a 1991, 305 5 speed.  He and is dad, who in his younger days had a 77 TA joined us for lunch.  Driving back stopped to gas up and another car guy came over and invited the group to a car show outside of Indy.  All this is one of the aspects that I enjoy; meeting others that enjoy cars, whether Firebirds or not, it is all good.   

Mumbles

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS7
« Reply #1317 on: April 16, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »
GM never ceases to amaze me, so for one what should've been a five minute job taking out the subwoofer to check it and putting it back in turned into over a half hour fiasco because instead of threading the sheet metal or welding in a nut they used flimsy clips that fall off once you take the speaker out... If that wasn't enough for some reason I have a SVC setup that was used in Camaros... *flips crap over and leaves*

I totally know what you mean when you mention the clips.  I just replaced the 2 Rear Quarter Panel Subwoofers in my 2000 WS6.  The clips don't want to stay in place.  They either fall off into the quarter panel or wanna stick to the magnet on the Sub.  I found giving them a little pinch before sliding them into place kept them where they need to be. 

The fact that they're clips instead of permanent fixtures did work out well for me.  I'm not sure the mounting holes on the aftermarket Subs I installed were in the same location as the factory pieces.  So being able to move the clips around made mounting much more simple.  I didn't have to drill any new holes.  :)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1318 on: April 16, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »

I totally know what you mean when you mention the clips.  I just replaced the 2 Rear Quarter Panel Subwoofers in my 2000 WS6.  The clips don't want to stay in place.  They either fall off into the quarter panel or wanna stick to the magnet on the Sub.  I found giving them a little pinch before sliding them into place kept them where they need to be. 

The fact that they're clips instead of permanent fixtures did work out well for me.  I'm not sure the mounting holes on the aftermarket Subs I installed were in the same location as the factory pieces.  So being able to move the clips around made mounting much more simple.  I didn't have to drill any new holes.  :)
Yeah I took and squeezed the clips with some pliers and it worked out, when I go to replace the other side I'll know to catch the top two clips.  I'm just more irked about it having the wrong system, the wiring hasn't been messed with and it's a Delco speaker so it's not due to a previous owner...

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1319 on: April 16, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »
.....the squeaking came back, so much for me thinking the other day it went away and just fixed itself :lol:

« Reply #1319 on: April 16, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »
You can help support TAC!