Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 698025 times)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
Re: Today I...
« Reply #1240 on: April 06, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »
Today I... continued the endless search for a truck.  Since what I want doesn't exist (unless I go Ford *shivers....* ), I'm compromising on automatic for longevity, but it has to be a 5.3L, floor mounted range selector, extended cab, Z71, and lowest mileage possible. 

Oh and no womens colors - neither on the exterior nor interior.  No green, silver, tan, beige, red, gray, or gold.

I'm one picky S.O.B., aren't I?
I'm picky but more so on drivetrains than anything else.  I could sit and nitpick it down to where only a handful of the hundreds of thousands made would do, but so long as I get the desired engine and transmission I can overlook the rest.  For example my favourite fourth gen colour is bright purple metallic which is already rare to begin with, then tack on wanting the V8 with the T56 and preferably a hardtop that car probably doesn't even exist.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1241 on: April 06, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »
New shift knob arrived. 8)

Looks good, I'm looking at some options too and actually saw this one on eBay.
Thanks, there's a lot of choices out there.  Search engines are weird, especially eBay's, so you'll want to search the following to get all the available results; M16x1.50 knob, M16x1.5 knob, Firebird knob.  Yes the 0 makes a difference, and a lot aren't listed by the size but the cars they'll fit.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1242 on: April 06, 2016, 02:23:10 PM »
New shift knob arrived. 8)

Looks good, I'm looking at some options too and actually saw this one on eBay.
Thanks, there's a lot of choices out there.  Search engines are weird, especially eBay's, so you'll want to search the following to get all the available results; M16x1.50 knob, M16x1.5 knob, Firebird knob.  Yes the 0 makes a difference, and a lot aren't listed by the size but the cars they'll fit.

cool, but before i get serious into getting one - other things will come first so this will have to wait, but save myself a note on the search specifics!

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1243 on: April 06, 2016, 03:31:30 PM »
I shift with my hand how you'd use a computer mouse since my elbows are knotted, so only round knobs feel good to me.  So it was a little higher up on priorities for me, even though the stock knob was ok.  A pistol grip style shifter would be the death of me.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1244 on: April 06, 2016, 03:39:54 PM »
i looked at those pistol grip ones and they just look weird to me, but have never tried one so will not knock it down.

« Reply #1244 on: April 06, 2016, 03:39:54 PM »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #1245 on: April 06, 2016, 05:21:40 PM »
Changed out the jets in my Lemans.  Wideband said in cruise I was 15-16 A/F, so pulled the Q-Jet and noted #72 jets.  I had another spare Q-Jet; it had 69's so I drilled them out 5/64ths (0.079" Ø).  Cruise is now 12-13.5 A/F.  Looks like I will need a set of 74's or 75's to get closer to optimal.

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1246 on: April 06, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »
My solid PTFB bushings came today, where there should be 6 there are only 4 bushings. Thoughts? I plan on calling PTFB tomorrow.

Here is a photo of my set from PTFB that has been put in my car without incident.  I bought the subframe connectors at the same time: cat # Combo 70-81, Item#: 2CF-004.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1247 on: April 07, 2016, 07:27:17 AM »
My apoligies to PTFB, a family member though that it would be cute/ funny to hide the other 2 bushings.

1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #1248 on: April 07, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »
Today I... continued the endless search for a truck.  Since what I want doesn't exist (unless I go Ford *shivers....* ), I'm compromising on automatic for longevity, but it has to be a 5.3L, floor mounted range selector, extended cab, Z71, and lowest mileage possible. 

Oh and no womens colors - neither on the exterior nor interior.  No green, silver, tan, beige, red, gray, or gold.

I'm picky but more so on drivetrains than anything else.  I could sit and nitpick it down to where only a handful of the hundreds of thousands made would do, but so long as I get the desired engine and transmission I can overlook the rest.  For example my favourite fourth gen colour is bright purple metallic which is already rare to begin with, then tack on wanting the V8 with the T56 and preferably a hardtop that car probably doesn't even exist.

Box...  I don't think a 5.3L with a 5-speed was ever built from the factory.  It can be swapped from a 4.8L, but I'm not looking for a project truck. 
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1249 on: April 07, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »
Phil, the garage is awesome, your rat am looks perfect in there. Today I drove 4 hrs each way across PA to look at a job im about to start :o
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1250 on: April 07, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
My solid PTFB bushings came today, where there should be 6 there are only 4 bushings. Thoughts? I plan on calling PTFB tomorrow.

Here is a photo of my set from PTFB that has been put in my car without incident.  I bought the subframe connectors at the same time: cat # Combo 70-81, Item#: 2CF-004.

So did you go for stock height or did you lower/wedge the body ?
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1251 on: April 07, 2016, 05:57:15 PM »
So did you go for stock height or did you lower/wedge the body ?

I am going stock for now.  Maybe after a year or two, I might drop it a bit, switch to 17" snowflakes and wide tires with suspension upgrades, but for now I just want it on the road to enjoy.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1252 on: April 07, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
Drove the TA in a little sprinkle (in CA they call this rain and all hell breaks loose with drivers and traffic) and on wet roads, the car sticks to the road like glue :)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1253 on: April 08, 2016, 12:51:07 AM »

Box...  I don't think a 5.3L with a 5-speed was ever built from the factory.  It can be swapped from a 4.8L, but I'm not looking for a project truck.
They didn't, only way to get a manual behind a V8 was the 4.8 liter.  There's only a 15 hp and 40 ft lb of torque difference between them, so if you heavily prefer a manual it's something to think about.

Remembered to condition all the seals on the Firebird yesterday, cleaned up nicely and are like new again. 8)

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1254 on: April 08, 2016, 04:40:49 AM »

They didn't, only way to get a manual behind a V8 was the 4.8 liter.  There's only a 15 hp and 40 ft lb of torque difference between them, so if you heavily prefer a manual it's something to think about.

Remembered to condition all the seals on the Firebird yesterday, cleaned up nicely and are like new again. 8)
Between the two trucks, the GenIV 4.8 doesn't get the truck moving good until 2,000rpm where the
'99 5.3 moves off the line . That could just as easily be the difference in gearing 3.23(4.8) vs 3.73(5.3)

1986 T-Top T/A:

« Reply #1254 on: April 08, 2016, 04:40:49 AM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1255 on: April 08, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »
Gearing can make a world of difference, that and a manual also transmits more of the power to the wheels so comparing an auto 4.8 to an auto 5.3 won't give the same result.  Granted it's not as big of a difference with higher power engines like it is with lower powered ones, would just be something he'd have to go and test for himself.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1256 on: April 08, 2016, 03:09:37 PM »
Engine builder called, at first he thought he could re use the existing pistons, but now that the machine shop has the block he told me it needs new ones. I was not upset though, he said he can get a bit more compression with new ones, and I would just as soon as have as much new as possible. Not that I want to spend the extra coin though
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1257 on: April 08, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »
Boy it's a small world.  Everyone knows I'm looking for a Silverado.

So, today I... went to AutoZone for some brake cleaner and to dump some old oil.  The old boss was there - driving a friends 02 Silverado.  I asked him about it and he all like yeah here take it for a spin.  SWEET!!!

I must say, I'm NOT impressed with the so called power behind the 5.3L engine.  Fact remains that their reputation precedes them for reliability and longevity.  I'm still shopping for one lol.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1258 on: April 08, 2016, 08:12:57 PM »

So, today I... went to AutoZone for some brake cleaner and to dump some old oil.  The old boss was there - driving a friends 02 Silverado.  I asked him about it and he all like yeah here take it for a spin.  SWEET!!!

I must say, I'm NOT impressed with the so called power behind the 5.3L engine.  Fact remains that their reputation precedes them for reliability and longevity.  I'm still shopping for one lol.
How high of an RPM were you driving at?

1986 T-Top T/A:

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1259 on: April 08, 2016, 09:15:20 PM »
A 5.3 in a fullsize truck isn't going to be a rocket ship, but take it out of a 6000lb vehicle and put it in something that weighs half as much and they really start to shine.

70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
79 Trans Am SE 301 4 Speed
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1260 on: April 09, 2016, 01:46:33 AM »
Went to buy the cold air intake I had saved and they're all sold out, lame.  Seeing as I ordered a new serpentine belt I figured it'd be a good time for that since all the intake stuff has to come off to change the belt anyway and it could use a new air filter.  Really it's because the standard LT1 intake is just garbage, plus I want to hear that wonderful induction noise.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1261 on: April 09, 2016, 05:19:16 AM »

Oh, I never really went above 20 mph.  I couldn't take it out of the parking lot.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1262 on: April 09, 2016, 02:39:23 PM »
Out of curiosity...would anybody here be interested in buying handmade 550 Paracord bracelets?

1986 T-Top T/A:

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #1263 on: April 09, 2016, 02:57:09 PM »

Oh, I never really went above 20 mph.  I couldn't take it out of the parking lot.

I felt the same when I first drove my Wife's Tahoe. Its not much in the lower RPM's but get on it and it moves out!
1977 Trans Am stroked 400 (468)
1989 Iroc-Z28 5.7 TPI 90K original miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS LS 2/4L65e
1997 Silverado 5.7 Z71 Single Cab, Short box (daily driver)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1264 on: April 09, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »
Started teardown and rebuild of my steering column. I thought I bought a hub puller long ago but it was the wrong thing. I went to the autozone, told the girl what I was after, she said they had it for rent. I grabbed it and to my surprise the "rental" is free!! and it was a brand new tool. Worked like a charm. Now I need a couple of screws that I will have to go after tomorrow morning to finish it up.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1265 on: April 09, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
Started teardown and rebuild of my steering column. I thought I bought a hub puller long ago but it was the wrong thing. I went to the autozone, told the girl what I was after, she said they had it for rent. I grabbed it and to my surprise the "rental" is free!! and it was a brand new tool. Worked like a charm. Now I need a couple of screws that I will have to go after tomorrow morning to finish it up.

Ahh AutoZone.  I only *half* miss working there.  The pay was garbage and the customers were less than legal, but lol it was kind of fun while it lasted.

Oh btw, the rumors are true.  At least 70% of countermen are complete idiots and only know what their computer tells them.  I can count several times I took phone calls for muffler bearings, headlight fluid, and one person even called for an "oil filter sandwich".

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1266 on: April 09, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »

Ahh AutoZone.  I only *half* miss working there.  The pay was garbage and the customers were less than legal, but lol it was kind of fun while it lasted.

Oh btw, the rumors are true.  At least 70% of countermen are complete idiots and only know what their computer tells them.  I can count several times I took phone calls for muffler bearings, headlight fluid, and one person even called for an "oil filter sandwich".

one of the best prank calls, and even mentions the headlight fluid at about 30 seconds in  :lol:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FefIzya7fw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FefIzya7fw</a>

-------also today i went by to talk to my mechanic about the 79 he is working on, will be updating my restore thread shortly...  :-?

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1267 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:47 PM »
Meh, my mom knows more about cars than a lot of men.  In fact she's the one that taught me and my brother.  What's sad is there are shops out there like that that take advantage of mechanically declined men and women alike.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1268 on: April 10, 2016, 06:48:59 AM »
Meh, my mom knows more about cars than a lot of men.  In fact she's the one that taught me and my brother.  What's sad is there are shops out there like that that take advantage of mechanically declined men and women alike.

Yep, a corrupt Ford dealership tried that crap with my brother when his 97 Rustang needed freeze plugs.  $3000 for a job that required replacing a $45 part.  The vehicle isn't even worth half of that.  I went over to that dealer and let my mouth open hard.  LoL I'm lucky they didn't call the cops. 

In the end, I got the keys off the stealership and we drove that POS home, topping off the antifreeze every couple of miles.  I yanked the engine myself, replace ALL the freeze plugs, and had him back on the road in less than 3 days. 

I just reminded myself of another reason I will never again buy a Ford.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1269 on: April 10, 2016, 07:39:55 AM »
In defense of auto store employees, if someone has a vast knowledge of the mechanicals of a car I'm sure they can make more money as a mechanic rather than the parts counter. I feel the same way everytime I go into a HD or Lowes, they always ask if you need help, and the few times I cant find something and ask them they look like a deer in the headlights. 'Caff, I can tell you stories of our local ford dealer as well,  he also owns the local Harley dealer and I travel a great distance to avoid using either one.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1270 on: April 10, 2016, 03:59:36 PM »
Today I...attemped to put on the body bushings. The back ones came off no problem, and the PTFB solids went on with no problems. Then the middle passenger one became free spinning and the driverside is stuck good.

1986 T-Top T/A:

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1271 on: April 10, 2016, 05:00:51 PM »
....fixed, hopefully, the gutters in the back - hopefully no leaks thru couple of the spots and all rain water goes into the barrels as intended.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1272 on: April 10, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »
Cleaned and conditioned the dash, you have to be a freaking contortionist to get it all. :-x

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1273 on: April 10, 2016, 06:13:03 PM »
windows are not the easiest either :lol:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1274 on: April 10, 2016, 07:28:30 PM »
They make windshield cleaning tools though that help with that, think I might look for a similar tool to use for the dash cap.

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #1275 on: April 10, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »
They make windshield cleaning tools though that help with that, think I might look for a similar tool to use for the dash cap.

Nah, save a few bucks and practice contortion!  :P
1977 Trans Am stroked 400 (468)
1989 Iroc-Z28 5.7 TPI 90K original miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS LS 2/4L65e
1997 Silverado 5.7 Z71 Single Cab, Short box (daily driver)

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1276 on: April 10, 2016, 07:51:03 PM »

Guess I'm not surprised since they pretty much make things for everything....but if you find something, post it up, would be interested to see what kind of help one can get for window and dash cleaning...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1277 on: April 10, 2016, 10:10:53 PM »
Getting in and out is enough of a contortion act, and yet I'm wanting to lower it.

Think I found something that might work:
http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Glass-Reach-Clean-95161/dp/B0017K69MA?ie=UTF8&keywords=windshield%20cleaner&qid=1460346495&ref_=sr_1_1&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011&sr=8-1
Looks like one bonnet would be good for glass and another for the dash all in one tool.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1278 on: April 10, 2016, 10:38:25 PM »
looks pretty good and like you said could be used for both potentially, if you decide to get it give some feedback

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1279 on: April 10, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »
I thought I remembered seeing them at Wal-Mart for less, according to their site they're $12 and some change, then sales tax but even then it's a little less and no waiting on shipping.  Guess will check it out the next time I'm there.

« Reply #1279 on: April 10, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »
You can help support TAC!