Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 747543 times)

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #1200 on: April 04, 2016, 04:28:13 PM »
Today I.... drove back from work and well, got home today - had a nice drive but started hearing some squeaking, when i got home and pressed down on the front the car makes squeaking noises, on the back not so much - is it possible that this is due to me power washing the car yesterday? it didn't do any of the noise until today  :-?

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #1201 on: April 04, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »
I like the shifter knob box, have no idea what it is though! My son was into pokemon and my grandson love the "minwins" as he calls them from the movie "pickle on me"
Thanks.  It's a pokeball from the Pokemon series, it's what holds the Pokemon.  Which it shipped out today from Illinois via USPS first class mail, so I imagine it'll get here Wednesday or Thursday.

Glad to hear engine seems to coming along well.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1202 on: April 04, 2016, 04:50:29 PM »
Today I.... drove back from work and well, got home today - had a nice drive but started hearing some squeaking, when i got home and pressed down on the front the car makes squeaking noises, on the back not so much - is it possible that this is due to me power washing the car yesterday? it didn't do any of the noise until today  :-?
Is it a metal or plastic squeaking sound?  If you power washed the wheel wells and/or underside could've knocked a plastic liner loose or removed grease from some suspension bits that are rubbing.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1203 on: April 04, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »
Is it a metal or plastic squeaking sound?  If you power washed the wheel wells and/or underside could've knocked a plastic liner loose or removed grease from some suspension bits that are rubbing.

i would say metal, and possibly maybe shocks? since it happens on pressing the car down compressing it...? i did not see any grease or the like fall from the car while washing... hmmm....

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1204 on: April 04, 2016, 05:06:33 PM »
went outside just now, and no longer is the noise present, very confused --- lol

« Reply #1204 on: April 04, 2016, 05:06:33 PM »

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1205 on: April 04, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »
I ordered the 2-channel line output converter and 4-channel amp for the 77.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1206 on: April 04, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »
went outside just now, and no longer is the noise present, very confused --- lol
The springs could have moved on the perches, or it could be the shocks if they've never been replaced.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1207 on: April 04, 2016, 05:25:45 PM »
yeah, not sure - i'm planning on going over to a friends house maybe this coming weekend and we can check out in more detail as today at work wasn't the right time to do any of that.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1208 on: April 04, 2016, 09:19:34 PM »
today i...fixed driver side mirror, which was loose - not too bad of a job, but could have been easier for a mirror.
also, fixed (temp electric black tape) home style the arm rest, it was beat to hell and broken to hell and back, tape has done the job and for now it's fine, and looks like nothing is wrong.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1209 on: April 04, 2016, 09:32:57 PM »
Not much is really easy on these cars, especially if it involves opening the hood.  That's ok, at least they're reliable if treated and maintained properly.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1210 on: April 04, 2016, 09:59:11 PM »
i was a bit surprised how much it had to go off to finally get to the mirror itself, but feels good to get it done.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #1211 on: April 05, 2016, 06:54:38 AM »
Not much is really easy on these cars, especially if it involves opening the hood.  That's ok, at least they're reliable if treated and maintained properly.

Seriously?  Have you looked under the hood of these space ships today?  You can't even see the engine before removing all the BS plastic covers.  Then you can't fix anything w/out a special computer. 

Such BS.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1212 on: April 05, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »

Seriously?  Have you looked under the hood of these space ships today?  You can't even see the engine before removing all the BS plastic covers.  Then you can't fix anything w/out a special computer. 

Such BS.

I think they are talking about 4th gens.. guess they are also more spacship like than the 2nd gens :)
Greetings from Northern Europe :-)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1213 on: April 05, 2016, 11:04:58 AM »
I rather deal with plastic covers over my engine than the firewall. :mad:  That's ok it's all in the pursuit of weight distribution and handling.  Not all new cars are terrible, the engine bay on my brother's '12 Genesis Coupe 2.0T is actually not that bad at all and is better than some 90's cars.  Of course that's the only example I can think of right now.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1214 on: April 05, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »
So been driving around and the longer I'm driving the more noticeable the squeaky noise is.... :(  Assume it's probably the shocks, very noticeable going over bumps and the like.

« Reply #1214 on: April 05, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1215 on: April 05, 2016, 01:42:02 PM »
Waiting on Body Bushings to get here....
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1216 on: April 05, 2016, 06:58:15 PM »
I just finished up priming the back and sides of the center spoiler, I have no idea how the previous owners managed to break it as bad as they did. Probably backed into something or something stupid like that, un even fiberglass repairs along major cracks makes even layers of primer a hard thing to do.
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

lskip10

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1217 on: April 05, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »
Replaced the female plastic seatbelt sleeves. Another dreary day of Illinois weather 38 degrees..... :-(

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1218 on: April 06, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »
New shift knob arrived. 8)

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1219 on: April 06, 2016, 01:30:46 PM »
Today I... continued the endless search for a truck.  Since what I want doesn't exist (unless I go Ford *shivers....* ), I'm compromising on automatic for longevity, but it has to be a 5.3L, floor mounted range selector, extended cab, Z71, and lowest mileage possible. 

Oh and no womens colors - neither on the exterior nor interior.  No green, silver, tan, beige, red, gray, or gold.

I'm one picky S.O.B., aren't I?

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1220 on: April 06, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »

Looks good, I'm looking at some options too and actually saw this one on eBay.

Lucky Phil

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1221 on: April 06, 2016, 01:59:05 PM »
Nothing on the cars, but today I sat back and admired how far the car hole has come.
Since these pics I've sealed the floors in 2 pack.....can't wait to get all the toys and memorabilia back in....

Made up 18 low voltage down light from old oil drums
And came up with the speaker idea below.

Image below is after staining the concrete with lawn food.....

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:14:30 PM by Lucky Phil »

1979 10th Anniversary TA
1978 W87 Currently Restoring Rat Rod Style
1959 Aussie Delivered RHD Bel Air

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1222 on: April 06, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »
Today I... continued the endless search for a truck.  Since what I want doesn't exist (unless I go Ford *shivers....* ), I'm compromising on automatic for longevity, but it has to be a 5.3L, floor mounted range selector, extended cab, Z71, and lowest mileage possible. 

Oh and no womens colors - neither on the exterior nor interior.  No green, silver, tan, beige, red, gray, or gold.

I'm picky but more so on drivetrains than anything else.  I could sit and nitpick it down to where only a handful of the hundreds of thousands made would do, but so long as I get the desired engine and transmission I can overlook the rest.  For example my favourite fourth gen colour is bright purple metallic which is already rare to begin with, then tack on wanting the V8 with the T56 and preferably a hardtop that car probably doesn't even exist.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1223 on: April 06, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »

Thanks, there's a lot of choices out there.  Search engines are weird, especially eBay's, so you'll want to search the following to get all the available results; M16x1.50 knob, M16x1.5 knob, Firebird knob.  Yes the 0 makes a difference, and a lot aren't listed by the size but the cars they'll fit.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1224 on: April 06, 2016, 02:23:10 PM »

Thanks, there's a lot of choices out there.  Search engines are weird, especially eBay's, so you'll want to search the following to get all the available results; M16x1.50 knob, M16x1.5 knob, Firebird knob.  Yes the 0 makes a difference, and a lot aren't listed by the size but the cars they'll fit.

cool, but before i get serious into getting one - other things will come first so this will have to wait, but save myself a note on the search specifics!

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1225 on: April 06, 2016, 03:31:30 PM »
I shift with my hand how you'd use a computer mouse since my elbows are knotted, so only round knobs feel good to me.  So it was a little higher up on priorities for me, even though the stock knob was ok.  A pistol grip style shifter would be the death of me.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1226 on: April 06, 2016, 03:39:54 PM »
i looked at those pistol grip ones and they just look weird to me, but have never tried one so will not knock it down.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #1227 on: April 06, 2016, 05:21:40 PM »
Changed out the jets in my Lemans.  Wideband said in cruise I was 15-16 A/F, so pulled the Q-Jet and noted #72 jets.  I had another spare Q-Jet; it had 69's so I drilled them out 5/64ths (0.079" Ø).  Cruise is now 12-13.5 A/F.  Looks like I will need a set of 74's or 75's to get closer to optimal.

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1228 on: April 06, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »
My solid PTFB bushings came today, where there should be 6 there are only 4 bushings. Thoughts? I plan on calling PTFB tomorrow.

Here is a photo of my set from PTFB that has been put in my car without incident.  I bought the subframe connectors at the same time: cat # Combo 70-81, Item#: 2CF-004.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1229 on: April 07, 2016, 07:27:17 AM »
My apoligies to PTFB, a family member though that it would be cute/ funny to hide the other 2 bushings.

1986 T-Top T/A:

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1230 on: April 07, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »

I'm picky but more so on drivetrains than anything else.  I could sit and nitpick it down to where only a handful of the hundreds of thousands made would do, but so long as I get the desired engine and transmission I can overlook the rest.  For example my favourite fourth gen colour is bright purple metallic which is already rare to begin with, then tack on wanting the V8 with the T56 and preferably a hardtop that car probably doesn't even exist.

Box...  I don't think a 5.3L with a 5-speed was ever built from the factory.  It can be swapped from a 4.8L, but I'm not looking for a project truck. 

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1231 on: April 07, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »
Phil, the garage is awesome, your rat am looks perfect in there. Today I drove 4 hrs each way across PA to look at a job im about to start :o
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1232 on: April 07, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
My solid PTFB bushings came today, where there should be 6 there are only 4 bushings. Thoughts? I plan on calling PTFB tomorrow.

Here is a photo of my set from PTFB that has been put in my car without incident.  I bought the subframe connectors at the same time: cat # Combo 70-81, Item#: 2CF-004.

So did you go for stock height or did you lower/wedge the body ?

1986 T-Top T/A:

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1233 on: April 07, 2016, 05:57:15 PM »
So did you go for stock height or did you lower/wedge the body ?

I am going stock for now.  Maybe after a year or two, I might drop it a bit, switch to 17" snowflakes and wide tires with suspension upgrades, but for now I just want it on the road to enjoy.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1234 on: April 07, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
Drove the TA in a little sprinkle (in CA they call this rain and all hell breaks loose with drivers and traffic) and on wet roads, the car sticks to the road like glue :)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1235 on: April 08, 2016, 12:51:07 AM »

Box...  I don't think a 5.3L with a 5-speed was ever built from the factory.  It can be swapped from a 4.8L, but I'm not looking for a project truck.
They didn't, only way to get a manual behind a V8 was the 4.8 liter.  There's only a 15 hp and 40 ft lb of torque difference between them, so if you heavily prefer a manual it's something to think about.

Remembered to condition all the seals on the Firebird yesterday, cleaned up nicely and are like new again. 8)

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1236 on: April 08, 2016, 04:40:49 AM »

They didn't, only way to get a manual behind a V8 was the 4.8 liter.  There's only a 15 hp and 40 ft lb of torque difference between them, so if you heavily prefer a manual it's something to think about.

Remembered to condition all the seals on the Firebird yesterday, cleaned up nicely and are like new again. 8)
Between the two trucks, the GenIV 4.8 doesn't get the truck moving good until 2,000rpm where the
'99 5.3 moves off the line . That could just as easily be the difference in gearing 3.23(4.8) vs 3.73(5.3)

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1237 on: April 08, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »
Gearing can make a world of difference, that and a manual also transmits more of the power to the wheels so comparing an auto 4.8 to an auto 5.3 won't give the same result.  Granted it's not as big of a difference with higher power engines like it is with lower powered ones, would just be something he'd have to go and test for himself.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1238 on: April 08, 2016, 03:09:37 PM »
Engine builder called, at first he thought he could re use the existing pistons, but now that the machine shop has the block he told me it needs new ones. I was not upset though, he said he can get a bit more compression with new ones, and I would just as soon as have as much new as possible. Not that I want to spend the extra coin though
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1239 on: April 08, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »
Boy it's a small world.  Everyone knows I'm looking for a Silverado.

So, today I... went to AutoZone for some brake cleaner and to dump some old oil.  The old boss was there - driving a friends 02 Silverado.  I asked him about it and he all like yeah here take it for a spin.  SWEET!!!

I must say, I'm NOT impressed with the so called power behind the 5.3L engine.  Fact remains that their reputation precedes them for reliability and longevity.  I'm still shopping for one lol.

« Reply #1239 on: April 08, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »
You can help support TAC!